Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Flaming Lips 2014 Sgt Pepper Remake
26 October 2014
1.19am
phile24
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 17
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This was another I was hopeful for when hearing that bands like Foxygen and Tame Impala were to be involved. After previewing the tracks, I don’t think there is anything of merit. It seems more like an unplanned and overdone experiment in sound.

28 October 2014
1.53pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012

I bought it and heard it this morning. I love it. A good career move for Miley Cyrus. I actually like her songs on it.

This is definitely not a “karaoke” album like the the Art of McCartney thing. But it’s also not for those who have old school sensibilities or who think the Beatles catalogue should remain pristine and untouched. It’s a noisy psychedelic freakout.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

phile24, parlance

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

29 October 2014
11.29am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Article with the Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne speaking to Newsweek about which Beatles tracks were his favourites and which were his least liked.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 November 2014
7.44pm
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098

I wasn’t even sure about posting this, it doesn’t even deserve a thread… I can’t be the only person that saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..V6XLTM5PdU

This guy can’t fucking sing.  This is worse than the last one they did together.  It is so awful it hurts.

Please discuss.

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

8 November 2014
8.04pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

Miley sounds bored while singing.

I like the ending part where they used different sound effectsas part of the build up. I wish they did more of that and kept some form of the tempo change.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

8 November 2014
8.05pm
Merch
Englishisnotmynativelanguageland
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 275

At least they know the lyrics, don’t they? 

a-hard-days-night-ringo-6paul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartney

Can anyone erase my memory, please? Those where the worst four minutes of my life.

The following people thank Merch for this post:

LongHairedLady

"We think George Harrison is the most marvelous thing since boys were discovered." - Diane and Jenny of Bedford, the smartest girls ever.

8 November 2014
8.16pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

The original A Day In The Life has such a strong energy that almost becomes overpowering during it’s pinnacle moment (the rousing orchestra crescendo) whereas this cover is as interesting as butter on bread (and I think comparing it to butter on bread is an insult to butter on bread)

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

LongHairedLady

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

8 November 2014
8.18pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

I’ve moved this (posts 44 -> 47) into here from its own thread to keep all these related posts together.

Quality bread and butter is delicious, these covers resemble that cheap basic bread that costs 23p for a loaf and tastes of cardboard whilst the butter is 54p per block and is more like used fat that has congealed and been resold. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

LongHairedLady

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 November 2014
8.23pm
LongHairedLady
Candlestick Park
Members

Honestly, I had no clue who this guy was when I first saw him with her doing LITSWD…  he looked like a random junkie.  When he repeats “Gone” over and over in that cover, it’s so annoying!!! paul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartney

Miley does sound bored, or drunk.  She had a good voice but uses it terribly.  

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

8 November 2014
8.24pm
LongHairedLady
Candlestick Park
Members

Annadog40 said
Miley sounds bored while singing.

I like the ending part where they used different sound effectsas part of the build up. I wish they did more of that and kept some form of the tempo change.

I honesty didn’t get that far.  2/3 in and I had enough.   

17 November 2014
5.05pm
phile24
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 17

I’ve never been into the Flaming Lips, but did like their 90’s “hit” She Don’t Use Jelly. That said, I did pick up the album from my local library. You can’t fault a band that is nearing 30 years in existence, and somehow they’ve managed to stay somewhat relevant? They managed to create something somewhat original, and there is something to be said for that. Unfortunately, the first couple tracks sound both a bit amateur and lacks the quality production sound that Sgt. Peppers deserves. It does get better as long as you’re not comparing it to the original.

They definitely don’t have Kevin Parker’s sense of production & sound, but there are a few bright spots within songs. I enjoyed portions of the tracks of Fixing A Hole , She’s Leaving Home , and A Day In The Life .

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: kelicopter
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694