Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Flaming Lips 2014 Sgt Pepper Remake
11 August 2014
6.39pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

There have been a lot of posts on the Flaming Lips Pepper remake so its been thought best to bring it all together (as much as possible) and keep it all in one place instead of having all the posts spread throughout the forum in different locations or merge two or three posts into one unrelated thread, another two or three merged in another and so on. It will hopefully also keep the conversation going.

I’ll pin this and then begin the process of bringing things together.

Note: For the sake off clarity i’ll note where threads the posts were originally posted in. Posts 2 -> 4 were posted on page 72 and posts 5 -> 10 on page 92 of the news thread, posts 11 -> 32 were posted in a thread titled ‘ So… Lucy in the sky was ruined’.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Starr Shine?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

31 March 2014
1.48am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842

Oh dear

The Flaming Lips are also reportedly at work on a St. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band tribute record with Miley Cyrus, Tame Impala and MGMT’s Andrew VanWyngarden.

-rollingstone.com

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

31 March 2014
7.15pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
Oh dear

The Flaming Lips are also reportedly at work on a St. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band tribute record with Miley Cyrus, Tame Impala and MGMT’s Andrew VanWyngarden.

-rollingstone.com

I didn’t see it, but Miley Cyrus recently did a cover version of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds where she vomited diamonds.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

31 March 2014
7.48pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

I love Andrew, but no..just no.

5 August 2014
10.34pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

C.R.A. said

Flaming Lips Reveal Guest List for Beatles ‘Sgt Pepper ‘ Tribute Album

(some web pages are impossible to copypasta here)

It’s been nearly three months since we’ve last heard any news from the Flaming Lips about their upcoming song-for-song remake of the Beatles ‘Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club band album. Now, frontman Wayne Coyne has disclosed the list of performers who will take that trip with him on ‘With a Little Help from My Fwends.’

‘With a Little Help from My Fwends’ Track Listing

1. My Morning Jacket, Fever The Ghost, J Mascis – ‘Sgt. Pepper ’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’
  2. The Flaming Lips, Black Pus, The Autumn Defense – ‘With A Little Help From My Friends
  3. Miley Cyrus, Moby, the Flaming Lips – ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
  4. Dr. Dog and Chuck Inglish – ‘Getting Better
  5. Electric Wurms – ‘Fixing A Hole
  6. Phantogram, Juliana Barwick – ‘She’s Leaving Home’
  7. The Flaming Lips, Maynard James Keenan, Sunbears – ‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!’
  8. Birdflower, Morgan Delt – ‘Within You Without You
  9. The Flaming Lips, (unknown) – ‘When I’m Sixty-Four’
  10. Tegan and Sara, Stardeath And White Dwarves – ‘Lovely Rita
  11. Zorch, Grace Potter, Treasure MammaL – ‘Good Morning Good Morning
  12. Foxygen, MGMT – ‘Sgt. Pepper ’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)’
  13. The Flaming Lips, Miley Cyrus – ‘A Day In The Life

I have no interest in hearing this whatsoever.

I was surprised to see MGMT there. Geez, so disappointed in them for doing this *shakes head in disbelief*

5 August 2014
10.41pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Have heard of a few of the artists but neither have heard much of their work nor want to listen to this project. Sounds and looks like it needs to be avoided at all costs.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

6 August 2014
2.53am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

I may be way off base here, but am I alone in thinking these people are just trying to cash in by exploiting all of the recent Beatles celebrations? I have no interest in hearing any of this for fear of hearing even an iota of a douche bag voice inflection.

On the off chance they are really doing this in the interest of artistic values and raising…oh screw it. I can’t continue that thought with a straight face. 

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Bulldog

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

6 August 2014
3.30am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

As a fan of The Flaming Lips since the early ’90s, and having a good knowledge of their history, I am less cynical about this release than some others.

They have always been a band who’ve enjoyed doing covers, Wayne Coyne is heavily influenced by The Beatles psychedelic work, and have a reputation for doing things to please themselves.

A couple of years ago, for instance, they released a song called Two Blobs F*cking. What they did is put it up on YouTube, but instead of putting up the song, they put up twelve tracks that needed to be played alongside each other to put the song back together. Ripping the parts to Audacity allowed you to create your own mix.

They are about as weird and avant-garde a band as is around today.

Nor will Sgt. Pepper  be their first such exercise. In 2009, drafting in Stardeath, White Dwarves (both of whom are also involved in this), Henry Rollins, and Peaches, they re-recorded Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon album – and a damn fine reinterpretation it was.

While Miley sends a shiver down my spine (and not in a good way), I look forward to seeing what Coyne – one of the few real musical mavericks out there, has done with Pepper. Good or bad, maybe both, it’s sure to be interesting.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Bulldog, C.R.A.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 August 2014
4.58pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

Ron Nasty said

While Miley sends a shiver down my spine (and not in a good way), I look forward to seeing what Coyne – one of the few real musical mavericks out there, has done with Pepper. Good or bad, maybe both, it’s sure to be interesting.

Fair enough, Nasty. My apprehension comes from living through this abomination.
suckypepperImage Enlarger

I just can’t see anyone covering this album to my liking. I would love to be wrong.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

9 August 2014
10.44pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097

Zig said

Ron Nasty said

Fair enough, Nasty. My apprehension comes from living through this abomination.
suckypepperImage Enlarger

I just can’t see anyone covering this album to my liking. I would love to be wrong.

What, no love for George Burns’ “Fixing A Hole ?” a-hard-days-night-george-10

Say goodnight, Gracie. a-hard-days-night-ringo-13

The following people thank WETSRoosa for this post:

Zig, Matt Busby

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

10 August 2014
9.19pm
TheBeatlesJohn
Anywhere, cause I'm free as a bird
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 159

The following people thank TheBeatlesJohn for this post:

Starr Shine?

Favourite band: The Beatles
Favourite song: Yesterday
Favourite album: Rubber Soul
Favourite member: Paul McCartney

10 August 2014
9.29pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

It’ll take more than one cover to ruin Lucy in the sky!!!

Edit: I just watched it and it is hilarious

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

10 August 2014
9.38pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147

I refuse to listen to that… Sorry!

If youre a big artist (this mostly applies to the bad ones), you should have to take a test on a band to cover them. I bet Miley knows nothing about The Beatles except that she could make some money off of a song of theirs.

paul-mccartney

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

10 August 2014
10.08pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916

I luv YouTube……., oh and Yoko! yoko-ono_01

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

10 August 2014
10.34pm
WETSRoosa
Candlestick Park
Members

Beatles songs are like Teflon. Even the worst of covers (and that wasn’t even the worst rendition of “Lucy in the Sky…” I’ve ever heard) don’t seem to stick to them.

On the plus side, should I re-do my Worst Beatles Covers episode, I know which song will lead off! a-hard-days-night-john-6

Mr. Kite

10 August 2014
10.36pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Now that I’ve watched it… paul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartney

What the hell?! The only thing they got right was that Miley doesn’t have a brain. I don’t understand how any of the people who took part in that “song” and video took themselves seriously! Unless they were all really, really high at all times during the making of that abomination, I don’t believe that they could’ve, especially the “gone, gone, gone, gone,” guy.

The scariest thing about all of that is that they probably thought/think that that is quality music and an amazing innovative video that pays lots of respect to The Beatles when in fact it is a big steaming pile of horse crap. I don’t care how harsh I sound, that was probably one of the worst things I voluntarily subjected myself to. I would take hours, no days of listening to P.S. Love Me Do on an extremely loud endless loop than listening to that “song” again.

I feel the need to clean my ears and eyes with fresh lemon juice and steel wool. a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 I’m not even sure I’m conveying my feelings as best I can, it was too horrible. And on a completely unrelated tangent, can that much nudity be on YouTube?

I… I can’t continue as that would involve thinking about it more… ahdn_paul_01 And I need to clean up all the vomit shot around the room…

Sorry if that’s too harsh… Why am I apologizing, does anyone here like that?

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

UnidentifiedFiendishThingy, Beatleva

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

10 August 2014
10.43pm
WETSRoosa
Candlestick Park
Members

Mr. Kite said
And on a completely unrelated tangent, can that much nudity be on YouTube?

Sean Lennon and his band got away with that much nudity for their recent video and it’s on YouTube…

Mr. Kite

10 August 2014
10.43pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I remember reading on the forum that they were covering some songs, but just read that it’s going to be a whole album called With A Little Help From My Fwends… Why?!?!? paul-mccartney

I cannot listen to their cover of Kite… It will kill my soul…

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

10 August 2014
11.16pm
StrawberryFieldsForever
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 833

Mr. Kite said
Now that I’ve watched it… paul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartney

What the hell?! The only thing they got right was that Miley doesn’t have a brain. I don’t understand how any of the people who took part in that “song” and video took themselves seriously! Unless they were all really, really high at all times during the making of that abomination, I don’t believe that they could’ve, especially the “gone, gone, gone, gone,” guy.

The scariest thing about all of that is that they probably thought/think that that is quality music and an amazing innovative video that pays lots of respect to The Beatles when in fact it is a big steaming pile of horse crap. I don’t care how harsh I sound, that was probably one of the worst things I voluntarily subjected myself to. I would take hours, no days of listening to P.S. Love Me Do on an extremely loud endless loop than listening to that “song” again.

I feel the need to clean my ears and eyes with fresh lemon juice and steel wool. a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 I’m not even sure I’m conveying my feelings as best I can, it was too horrible. And on a completely unrelated tangent, can that much nudity be on YouTube?

I… I can’t continue as that would involve thinking about it more… ahdn_paul_01 And I need to clean up all the vomit shot around the room…

Sorry if that’s too harsh… Why am I apologizing, does anyone here like that?

Wondering whether to open the link or not…ahdn_paul_01

The following people thank StrawberryFieldsForever for this post:

Mr. Kite
10 August 2014
11.18pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

ahdn_paul_06 I think you should it is funny

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: PauliesGirl
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691