Log In

Please consider registering
Guest

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters

Register Ranks

Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Favorite song on Rubber Soul?
RSS
Savoybulldog
3 Posts
(Offline)
21
22 May 2011 - 8.13pm

mr. Sun king coming together said:

The great thing about Rubber Soul is the fact that it is so great. I doubt that anyone would really dislike someone's favourite song (unless it was crazy, like my previous dislike of Tomorrow Never Knows). Although I think I like Michelle because of the French. As a Canadian who hates French, I really like the fact that the Beatles spoke French (especially since Paul's accent is worse then mine).

Why would you hate French people? Quebecians I can understand, but Frenchies? Anyways, I just joined to say that Think For Yourself is my favorite song o Rubber Soul. I love the fuzz bass so much, I spent an hour setting up my Yamaha SPX50D to make my bass sound the same. Worth it.a-hard-days-night-paul-1

Avatar
The Walrus
Working for the national health
1024 Posts
(Offline)
22
22 May 2011 - 8.53pm

Savoybulldog said:

mr. Sun king coming together said:

The great thing about Rubber Soul is the fact that it is so great. I doubt that anyone would really dislike someone's favourite song (unless it was crazy, like my previous dislike of Tomorrow Never Knows). Although I think I like Michelle because of the French. As a Canadian who hates French, I really like the fact that the Beatles spoke French (especially since Paul's accent is worse then mine).

Why would you hate French people? Quebecians I can understand, but Frenchies? Anyways, I just joined to say that Think For Yourself is my favorite song o Rubber Soul. I love the fuzz bass so much, I spent an hour setting up my Yamaha SPX50D to make my bass sound the same. Worth it.a-hard-days-night-paul-1

I think he means he's irritated by the French language.

And I neeeeeeeeed her all the time

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
23
22 May 2011 - 9.00pm

The Walrus said:

Savoybulldog said:

mr. Sun king coming together said:

The great thing about Rubber Soul is the fact that it is so great. I doubt that anyone would really dislike someone's favourite song (unless it was crazy, like my previous dislike of Tomorrow Never Knows). Although I think I like Michelle because of the French. As a Canadian who hates French, I really like the fact that the Beatles spoke French (especially since Paul's accent is worse then mine).

Why would you hate French people? Quebecians I can understand, but Frenchies? Anyways, I just joined to say that Think For Yourself is my favorite song o Rubber Soul. I love the fuzz bass so much, I spent an hour setting up my Yamaha SPX50D to make my bass sound the same. Worth it.a-hard-days-night-paul-1

I think he means he's irritated by the French language.

I did. I actually don't dislike the stupid Quebecoisians, partly because they even realized they are stupid, but still. I meant the language.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
2716 Posts
(Offline)
24
23 May 2011 - 12.27am

I actually dislike "Michelle" and "Girl." 

*dodges tomatoes*

And everyone knows about that whole "Run For Your Life" thing.

*looks around and decides there are no tomatoes to dodge*

Well, my favorite song is probably "Norwegian Wood," or "Nowhere Man," or "The Word," or "Think For Yourself," or "I'm Looking Through You," or...  

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
25
23 May 2011 - 12.35am

MeanMrsMustard said:

I actually dislike "Michelle" and "Girl." 

What's not to like? *mental note*Make sure all ballots for MMM in 2011 End of Year awards are rigged.*End of mental note*

Oh wait, you can see that...... Hi there!!

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
2716 Posts
(Offline)
26
23 May 2011 - 12.39am

Well...

"Michelle" vaguely irritates me, and "Girl" and "Michelle" sound the same* to me anyway, so... 

 

mr. Sun king coming together said:

Make sure all ballots for MMM in 2011 End of Year awards are rigged.

In my favor? a-hard-days-night-george-10

 

*They sound similar. Maybe it's the guitars. 

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
27
23 May 2011 - 12.46am

MeanMrsMustard said:

mr. Sun king coming together said:

Make sure all ballots for MMM in 2011 End of Year awards are rigged.

In my favor? a-hard-days-night-george-10

*In sentimental voice* Why not?

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Avatar
PennyLane
Sitting singing songs for everyone by the mountain stream
1206 Posts
(Offline)
28
23 May 2011 - 2.19am

Well we all shine on like the moon, the stars, and the sun.

Avatar
Daniel
71 Posts
(Offline)
Avatar
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
1327 Posts
(Offline)
30
24 May 2011 - 3.17am

I like your comment Inner Light, John and George could both bring so much emotion to a song with just a word or phrase. So could Paul, but the other two wrote about more personal topics. Although I do love George's monotone voice on Think For Yourself.

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine

RingoStarr39
Baden, PA
85 Posts
(Offline)
31
24 May 2011 - 3.21pm

My fav on Rubber Soul is definitely The Word. I especially love it without the vocals. Although I have to say that you have to listen to the Rock Band version here before you can appreciate the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....5q87AsXNtk

That's my channel too. a-hard-days-night-ringo-9

RingoStarr39
Baden, PA
85 Posts
(Offline)
32
24 May 2011 - 3.26pm

Oh ok, here's my list:

 

1. The Word heart

2. You Won't See Me

3. I'm Looking Through You

4. Wait

5. What Goes On

6. Think For Yourself

7. Girl

8. Michelle

9. Norwegian Wood

10. Run For Your Life

11. Drive My Car

12. In My Life

13. If I Needed Someone

14. Nowhere Man

Avatar
McLennonSon
In the middle of the roundabout
813 Posts
(Offline)
33
25 May 2011 - 7.37am

My Music Blog.
One and one don't make two
One and one make one.

Avatar
ForNoOne
43 Posts
(Offline)
34
20 June 2011 - 5.50am

1. Girl

2. Drive My Car

3. The Word

4. Norwegian Wood

5. Nowhere Man

6. Wait

7. Run For Your Life

8. I'm Looking Through You

9. You Won't See Me

10. In My Life

11. Think For Yourself

12. Michelle

13. If I Needed Someone

14. What Goes On

After I took it, it opened my eyes. We only use one-tenth of our brain. Just think what we could all accomplish if we could only tap that hidden part. It would mean a whole new world. If the politicians would take LSD, there wouldn't be any more War or poverty or famine.

Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
2716 Posts
(Offline)
35
20 June 2011 - 3.59pm

I don't think I've ranked them yet....
1. "Nowhere Man"
2. "Norwegian Wood"
3. "I'm Looking Through You"
4. "The Word"
5. "Think For Yourself"
6. "You Won't See Me"
7. "If I Needed Someone"
8. "Wait"
9. "What Goes On"
10. "Drive My Car" (dang it, I didn't think of that one)
11. "In My Life" (wait, how did that happen?)
12. "Girl" (shut up, GniknuS)
13. "Michelle)
14. "Run For Your Life"

All except the top two and bottom three are basically interchangeable.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
36
20 June 2011 - 4.09pm

How the hell is Michelle 13? It's my favourite!!

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
2716 Posts
(Offline)
37
20 June 2011 - 4.13pm

I just don't like it. The lyrics are stupid, and the melody just isn't enough to make up for them.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
38
20 June 2011 - 4.17pm

The lyrics aren't stupid, they are profound. Is it the Frenchness?

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Avatar
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
2815 Posts
(Offline)
39
20 June 2011 - 7.06pm

The lyrics make a virtue of the issue of their own necessary simplicitiy - just like "Silly Love Songs" a decade later, except in the latter song he's keeping it simple because he's happy and lazy (and happily lazy) rather than because he doesn't know enough French to make it complicated.

(LYRICALLY lazy I mean - Paul in the studio in the 70s was as much a workaholic as anybody even though he didn't need to be.)

I remember George saying 'Blimey, he's always talking about “Yesterday”, you'd think he was Beethoven or somebody' - Paul McCartney

Avatar
kelicopter
Sitting in an English Garden
419 Posts
(Offline)
40
20 June 2011 - 10.49pm

1. Girl

2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

3. Michelle

4. Drive My Car

5. I'm Looking Through You

6. The Word

7. Wait

8. Run For Your Life

9. Think For Yourself

10. You Won't See Me

11.  In My Life

12. If I Needed Someone

13. What Goes On

14. Nowhere Man (As acapella on the Love album I like it, but as a song it's never appealed to me.)

 

That was hard though. a-hard-days-night-paul-7 4 to 9 are interchangeable.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind."

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Joe
Ellie

Moderators:
Ahhh Girl
meanmistermustard
Zig
Joe

Top Posters:

Starr Shine?: 12269

Silly Girl: 8618

parlance: 7065

mr. Sun king coming together: 6429

Mr. Kite: 6131

trcanberra: 5854

Ron Nasty: 5549

Necko: 5461

mithveaen: 4618

AppleScruffJunior: 4055

Newest Members:

herseydenvar2

JohnBeatle

Michael Varn

asiffk

Ram4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 42

Topics: 4012

Posts: 227704

 

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 3634

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Little Piggy Dragonguy, Ron Nasty, Expert Textpert, ewe2, limitlessundyinglove, BeatleSnut
54 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: O Boogie