Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Ringo (1973 album)
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
11 February 2015
7.12pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

^ Just goofing around is my guess.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

18 February 2015
10.24am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5691

An update about Tim Bruckner. Last year he spent a few hours with a huge Beatles fan called Dale Applebee, and together they went over the Ringo cover to identify the cast of characters as best they could. Tim put me in touch with Dale, and I’m hoping to share the info with you all very soon.

I also asked Tim a stack of questions about working with Ringo. I think I got a bit carried away, but he’s kindly offered to answer them when time allows. Here’s the first:

How did you come to paint the cover of the Ringo album?

Tim Bruckner: I’d been working at a Jewelry store in Beverly Hills, Californian as a sculptor and apprentice jeweler. I’d been there almost two years when I realized that wasn’t the career path for me. So, one day, sitting in my apartment, I thought I’d like to do album covers. I looked in the phone book and found two listings. There was no answer at the first one I called.  The second, Camouflage Productions, answered. I told the receptionist what I was interested in and after putting me on hold for a few minutes, asked if I’d be willing come to the studio and show my portfolio. I said yes.

The only hitch was, I didn’t have a portfolio, so I took a handful of framed drawings off the wall, loaded them into the car and spent my last twenty-eight cents to get to the Hollywood hills, about twenty six miles from where I lived. I was greeted by a lovely, smoky voiced receptionist and asked to wait. Ten minutes later I was being interview by Barry Feinstein, famous art director/photographer. He looked at my stuff, seemed to like what he saw and asked me to wait.  He left the room and came back about twenty minutes later in the company of a tall, lanky, generously toothed gentlemen. I was introduced to Richard Perry, the producer for the Ringo album. He looked at my work, said something to Barry and the two left together. Shortly thereafter, Barry returned and asked if I had a passport. I did not. He told me I needed to get one as soon as possible. I was going to England to work on Ringo Starr ‘s album cover art.

That cover led to designing and illustrating the Average White Band Logo, Ray Charles’ Renaissance album cover, a Lipps Inc cover, the prosthetic elephant nose for George Clinton’s Trombipulation cover and the dust jacket for Cat Stevens’ Buddha and the Chocolate Box.

The following people thank Joe for this post:

meanmistermustard, trcanberra, Ahhh Girl, Expert Textpert, Mr. Kite, Matt Busby, vonbontee, parlance, ewe2

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

18 February 2015
10.31am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Wow. Will be fascinating to read, especially going by the one immediately above.  Imagine phoning up a company on the off-chance and an hour or so later being told you are going to be working on Ringo’s album.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Mr. Kite

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

18 February 2015
2.33pm
carlose01
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 11

Oh boy… This is FAB. He answered. It’s really nice that he did it (and replied the other questions). Glad to read it

The following people thank carlose01 for this post:

trcanberra
19 February 2015
12.08pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin

Did you work closely with Ringo on the cover concept, or were you given free rein? What was your design brief?

Tim Bruckner: They already had the images of Ringo leaning against the giant letters, via Elvis. In the original pictures, Ringo’s shirt is blue. They had it retouched to make it red. There was no concept at the time. I put together ten concept sketches and they picked the one with him on stage with a balcony full of people. There are twenty-six portraits in the balcony. The rest are people I invented.

I was working on the design at the R or R offices at night. When I needed inspiration, I’d take a walk through the London streets and come back to work inspired. I didn’t meet Ringo until I went to England so I don’t know what his involvement was before hand. Ringo’s cover sidekick, the cherub, happened after I got home. Having met the man and spent some time with him, I understood how important humor was to him and his circle of friends. The cherub just seemed like an natural extension of that part of his character, funny and a little mischievous.

Mr. Kite, Expert Textpert, parlance

19 February 2015
3.03pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin

Can anyone furnish me with a high-quality scan of the Ringo album cover? Preferably bigger than 3000x3000px, with no creases/scuffs. The biggest I can find on Google Images are around 1000px.

Email me – joe at beatlesbible.com – if you can help!

19 February 2015
8.56pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064

Joe said
Can anyone furnish me with a high-quality scan of the Ringo album cover? Preferably bigger than 3000x3000px, with no creases/scuffs. The biggest I can find on Google Images are around 1000px.

Email me – joe at beatlesbible.com – if you can help!

I only have the CD and it is even harder to distinguish anything.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

20 February 2015
4.53pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin

I might have to buy a vinyl copy unless someone can help! I only have it on mp3.

Quick update. I’ve had some real gold from Tim Bruckner and Dale Applebee, both of whom have been incredibly generous. I won’t be posting more here just now – the stuff Tim is giving me is so good it deserves to be a proper feature. Trust me, it’ll be worth the wait.

Ahhh Girl, meanmistermustard, trcanberra, Matt Busby, ewe2

20 February 2015
9.13pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

@Joe. I’ve asked over at bootlegzone as folk have been able to post HQ scans of other albums before. Nothing guaranteed but i figured it wouldnt hurt.

Joe

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 February 2015
11.33pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I got a reply but it may not be very helpful sadly. Someone posted a link to a 1500 x 1500 scan of it

(http://www.albumartexchange.com/gallery … -ringo.jpg)

but certainly for me i get a message, going direct and thru the front door, that permission is denied because of my region. Maybe you can figure a way of getting in.

Here’s the thread over at bootlegzone if you wish to keep an eye on it and i’ll post here if anyone else is able to help here as well.

Joe

21 February 2015
12.00am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

It says I am forbidden also with error 403

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

21 February 2015
12.02am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Whats the point of a website if no one can get in it. Its LP artwork not the secret code to mankind’s DNA.

Starr Shine?, trcanberra

23 February 2015
2.01pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin

Thanks @meanmistermustard. I might be able to get a hi-res scan from Dale, though his email service seems to be a bit unreliable.

I looked at the Bootlegzone thread. Someone posted quite a big image, which I’d seen before on Google Images, but it’s not the full version (it cuts off the left and right sides, including Tim Bruckner’s self portrait). I traced an outline of all the figures in Photoshop before realising I needed a fuller version, but I should be able to extend it if/when one arrives.

23 February 2015
2.58pm
PeterWeatherby
A Park in the Dark
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 418

What about one that’s about 2800×2100?

3947000607_0eaac26f20_o.jpgImage Enlarger

EDIT: Oh, that’s precious, it got resized on upload. Anyway, here’s a link to download the original at the size I mentioned: 

Album cover on Flickr

The following people thank PeterWeatherby for this post:

trcanberra, Joe, ewe2

Not a bit like Cagney.

23 February 2015
3.59pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin

Thank you! That’ll do nicely, I just have to remove the price sticker. Leave it with me.

24 February 2015
9.57pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Joe said
Thank you! That’ll do nicely, I just have to remove the price sticker. Leave it with me.

The price sticker may make it more valuable (if you even place a monetary value on it :)

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

11 March 2015
3.23pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin

OK, this has taken quite a while to pull together. Huge thanks to Tim Bruckner and Dale Applebee for patience and generous help.

I wrote a piece on the Ringo album (new content – yay!).

The second page has a breakdown of the cast of characters on the cover (alliteration – yay!).

And here’s the best of all. I fired off a stack of questions to Tim Bruckner and he very kindly sent back some very detailed answers. And he sent me some rare (and I think previously unseen) artwork from the era, including work-in-progress pieces for the abandoned film Harry and Ringo’s Night Out. Please do check them out because they’re not to be missed.

Image Enlarger

parlance, Starr Shine?, Ron Nasty, ewe2, trcanberra, Egroeg Evoli, Expert Textpert, vonbontee

11 March 2015
4.02pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

a-hard-days-night-paul-11 See, I told you you aren’t a weak link. a-hard-days-night-george-9

Thanks for putting this together for us, Joe.

A tap-dancing MBE. I wonder how many of those there are around?

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

trcanberra
11 March 2015
5.30pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

There are some of us out here who would like to see the pilot of Harry and Ringo’s Night Out. If someone does have it, I hope it will come to light one of these days.

11 March 2015
5.57pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Nice to think that my initial mention of the artist led to trcanberra suggesting “What about the artist?” leading Joe to contact the artist!

Some fascinating insight gathered there, @Joe! Interesting to see the Harry and Ringo’s Night Out stuff, maybe more interesting to see Klaus’ rejected album cover. I can see why it didn’t make the cut, and not sure I’ve ever seen it before.

I’m going to make an observation on an uncommented on figure. Number 53 I think it is! Beside the Eggman, just behind Paul, there’s a figure that looks like a cross between Frankenstein’s monster and a teddy boy. I just wonder if this wasn’t a forgotten nod toward:
Back_Off_Boogaloo_cover.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

trcanberra

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691