Log In

Please consider registering
Guest

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters

Register Ranks

Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Ringo in Plastic Ono Band
RSS
Avatar
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
4618 Posts
(Offline)
1
21 November 2010 - 3.38am

(Damn u2 that makes me write Plastic Bono and then I'm like  a-hard-days-night-paul-1 and I go back to delete the b)

 

I got this album and there was something about it I couldn't really identify. There's something truly strong in this music that's not only John's voice and lyrics.. until I noticed I caught myself tapping a pencil at the rhytm of the drums in Well Well Well and then I was "The drums!!". I wasn't sure it was Ringo but I checked the album and yes, it's him.

 

Genius. I love it.  a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

Avatar
DoctorRobert
Through the bathroom window
396 Posts
(Offline)
2
21 November 2010 - 12.03pm

Yeah, he is one of the more characteristic drummers, with the backwards fills etc. a-hard-days-night-ringo-10

You all will have read that Dave Dee is no longer with us. But Mickey and Titch and I would like to carry on the good work that's always gone down in number two.

Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
2716 Posts
(Offline)
3
22 November 2010 - 1.37am

mithveaen said:

(Damn u2 that makes me write Plastic Bono and then I'm like  a-hard-days-night-paul-1 and I go back to delete the b)


Oh. My. Gosh. 

The "Plastic Bono" thing made me laugh out loud. 

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

Avatar
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost

8722 Posts
(Offline)
4
22 November 2010 - 5.12pm

mithveaen said:

I got this album and there was something about it I couldn't really identify. I caught myself tapping a pencil at the rhytm of the drums in Well Well Well and then I was "The drums!!". I wasn't sure it was Ringo but I checked the album and yes, it's him.

 

Genius. I love it.  a-hard-days-night-ringo-15


Something

similar happened to me. Throughout the whole album I kept thinking "who is that on Tea & Sympathy"?

Then I checked the credits - it's Mal Evans! mal-evans

I'd be willing to wager the tea was perfectly brewed and the sympathy was genuinely heart-felt.apple01

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
5
23 November 2010 - 10.00pm

Zig said:

mithveaen said:

I got this album and there was something about it I couldn't really identify. I caught myself tapping a pencil at the rhytm of the drums in Well Well Well and then I was "The drums!!". I wasn't sure it was Ringo but I checked the album and yes, it's him.

 

Genius. I love it.  a-hard-days-night-ringo-15


Something similar happened to me. Throughout the whole album I kept thinking "who is that on Tea & Sympathy"?
 

Then I checked the credits - it's Mal Evans! mal-evans

I'd be willing to wager the tea was perfectly brewed and the sympathy was genuinely heart-felt.apple01


I'll give you 5 to 1 odds for that

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Marcelo
478 Posts
(Offline)
6
21 December 2010 - 7.37pm

I absolutely love Ringo's drums!

In fact, sometimes, when I'm listening Rubber Soul/Revolver, I can't help but listen to the drums (and percussion) only. My brother, who is a drummer, and me think that if you could isolate the drums from every Beatles' songs, you can identify them from the percussion pattern.

 

OFF TOPIC: mithveaen: you make me remember I can't go to U2 this time, they're playing in La Plata (a little too far away from my home) and the tickets are too expensive!

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

Avatar
robert
415 Posts
(Offline)
7
22 December 2010 - 1.07pm

Marcelo, you have made a point that has rarely ever been made but which I think is very telling.

I have little doubt that if you played only the drum tracks from any Beatle song I could identify that song - and I think most hard core Beatle fans could identify the song.

I cannot think of any band that could even make such a claim. And it is a testimony to the absoulte character of Ringo's playing.

Well said Marcelo!

"She looks more like him than I do."

Avatar
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
4618 Posts
(Offline)
8
22 December 2010 - 3.42pm

Marcelo said:

In fact, sometimes, when I'm listening Rubber Soul/Revolver, I can't help but listen to the drums (and percussion) only. My brother, who is a drummer, and me think that if you could isolate the drums from every Beatles' songs, you can identify them from the percussion pattern.

 

OFF TOPIC: mithveaen: you make me remember I can't go to U2 this time, they're playing in La Plata (a little too far away from my home) and the tickets are too expensive!


I'm doing that next time I sit down to listen the double RS/R.
 

And Marcel I'm so sorry!! The tickets sure are way too expensive!! U2 is also coming to Mexico and I got the third cheapest seat and it was almost as expensive as Macca's most expensive ticket! I asked for a loan to my sister and I paid it with my Christmas bonus!

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

Marcelo
478 Posts
(Offline)
9
23 December 2010 - 2.24am

robert said:

Marcelo, you have made a point that has rarely ever been made but which I think is very telling.

I have little doubt that if you played only the drum tracks from any Beatle song I could identify that song - and I think most hard core Beatle fans could identify the song.

I cannot think of any band that could even make such a claim. And it is a testimony to the absoulte character of Ringo's playing.

Well said Marcelo!


Thanks, you are very kind, sir.brian-epstein

mithveaen said:

Marcelo said:

 

OFF TOPIC: mithveaen: you make me remember I can't go to U2 this time, they're playing in La Plata (a little too far away from my home) and the tickets are too expensive!


I'm doing that next time I sit down to listen the double RS/R.

 

And Marcel I'm so sorry!! The tickets sure are way too expensive!! U2 is also coming to Mexico and I got the third cheapest seat and it was almost as expensive as Macca's most expensive ticket! I asked for a loan to my sister and I paid it with my Christmas bonus!


The cheapest tickets are AR$800.- (about US$200.-) WTF!!!!!blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie

I love U2, but I have plans, in first place, my future travel to Japantwo-virgins, I can't afford those prizes!a-hard-days-night-ringo-8a-hard-days-night-paul-6

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

Avatar
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
4618 Posts
(Offline)
10
23 December 2010 - 7.02am

Marcelo said:

 


The cheapest tickets are AR$800.- (about US$200.-) WTF!!!!!blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie

I love U2, but I have plans, in first place, my future travel to Japantwo-virgins, I can't afford those prizes!a-hard-days-night-ringo-8a-hard-days-night-paul-6


WTF?????? paul-mccartney $200 USD!!! Mine was only $75!!!!!!!! And Paul's cheapest were $30 USD!!!!

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

Avatar
parco63
28 Posts
(Offline)
11
7 January 2011 - 6.00am

This remains one of the most powerful and unique performances by a three-piece rock and roll band on record and Ringo's drumming is a major factor.  More proof that the ostensibly happy go lucky Beatle could get as heavy as anyone.  A devastating statement from the first to the last song.a-hard-days-night-ringo-9a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

Avatar
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
2829 Posts
(Offline)
12
7 January 2011 - 4.25pm

robert said:

I cannot think of any band that could even make such a claim. And it is a testimony to the absoulte character of Ringo's playing.

Well said Marcelo!


I don't want to argue - seems like I'm always doing that, Robert, without trying to! - but I'd say that John Bonham and Elvin Jones had styles that were pretty instantly recognizable.

As for Ringo's playing on Plastic Ono Band, and the Lennon-Starr-Voorman trio in general, it's interesting to compare it to the playing on Yoko's (more frequently rocking) companion LP. Too bad there's no Rock Band-style multitracks of that  stuff going around to give the detractors the option of a Yoko-less listen...

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!"
-- Paul McCartney

Avatar
robert
415 Posts
(Offline)
13
7 January 2011 - 6.23pm

I think what is obvoius, is that without even trying, Ringo becomes the standard against which other drummers are measured. Even people who don't like Ringo's playing invariably wind up comparing their favorite drummer to him. I think that's the point.

I don't there's many people comparing John Bonham to say Charlie Watts. Or Charile Watts to Elvin Jones. Everyone compares everyone else to Ringo. Now don't argue with me - just don't!!!

"She looks more like him than I do."

Avatar
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
2829 Posts
(Offline)
14
7 January 2011 - 7.13pm

robert said:

I think what is obvoius, is that without even trying, Ringo becomes the standard against which other drummers are measured. Even people who don't like Ringo's playing invariably wind up comparing their favorite drummer to him. I think that's the point.

I don't there's many people comparing John Bonham to say Charlie Watts. Or Charile Watts to Elvin Jones. Everyone compares everyone else to Ringo. Now don't argue with me - just don't!!!


Wouldn't think of arguing, Robert!

I'll just add that part of what makes Ringo the frequent comparison-standard is not merely his being a great drummer, but being a great drummer in the world's most famous and popular band, as well as a larger-than-life personality on his own. (By comparison, Charlie Watts is a total cipher.)  But you knew that already.

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!"
-- Paul McCartney

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Joe
Ellie

Moderators:
Ahhh Girl
meanmistermustard
Zig
Joe

Top Posters:

Starr Shine?: 12269

Silly Girl: 8618

parlance: 7065

mr. Sun king coming together: 6429

Mr. Kite: 6131

trcanberra: 5854

Ron Nasty: 5549

Necko: 5461

mithveaen: 4618

AppleScruffJunior: 4055

Newest Members:

markus567r

herseydenvar2

JohnBeatle

Michael Varn

asiffk

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 42

Topics: 4012

Posts: 227704

 

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 3634

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Little Piggy Dragonguy, Starr Shine?, WeepingAtlasCedars, Squid's Orchard
47 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: O Boogie