Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Question on Beatles 1970's UK Single Releases
29 July 2012
5.10pm
alien64
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi,

I’m hoping someone on the forum will know the answer to these questions relating to 1970’s UK Single Releases:

1. Is the 1976 UK single release of YESTERDAY (Apple R 6013 – charted in the UK in March 1976 – reached no. 8) the original Mono recording or the 1965 Stereo LP version. There seems to be conflicting information on-line about this!

2. Is the 1976 UK single release of Back In The USSR (Parlophone  R 6016 – charted in the UK in July 1976 – reached no. 19) the original Mono recording or the 1968 Stereo LP version. If it is the stereo version would this be the same edit found on the Blue Album 1967-70 – which does not seague into the following track?

3. Is the 1978 UK single release of Sgt. Pepper ‘S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND/With A Little Help From My Friends   (Parlophone R 6022 – charted in the UK in October 1978 – reached no. 63) the original Mono recording or the 1967 Stereo  LP version. If it is the stereo version would this be the same edit found on the Blue Album 1967-70 and on the original 1967 Stereo LP of Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band? I believe the 1978 US single version is a different mix again!

Many thanks if anyone can clarify all of the above :-)

Dave

30 July 2012
8.13pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446

I have no authoritative data about this, but I can’t see ANY of those singles being released monaurally as late as the ’70s. “Abbey Road ” was the first Beatles album not mixed for mono, and I believe “Hey Jude ” was the first stereo single, so that would suggest that mono was abandoned entirely in ’69. (But this is just guesswork on my part…)

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

30 July 2012
9.25pm
GeorgeTSimpson
Vienna, Austria
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 343

Get Back was the first stereo single in the us, ballad of john and yoko in the uk, White Album the first stereo only album in the us, Abbey Road in the uk (although the mono yellow submarine released in the uk was only a fold-down of the stereo version)

Once there was a way to get back homewards. Once there was a way to get back home; sleep pretty darling do not cry. And I will sing a lullaby

31 July 2012
2.01am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

The cd singles were reissues, actually they were never out of print but that didnt matter to EMI, so surely the original mono for those prior to The Ballad Of John And Yoko .

I honestly dont know, i have foreign pressings of these stashed away, but will have a look. I would imagine by that time it was all stereo for everything newly issued. As for Back In The USSR and Pepper/With A Little Help i think it would be the same edit as the White Album and Pepper respectively but its not a definative definate. Its not something ive ever thought of, just going by what is more likely. I’ll dig out the 45’s tomorrow. 

Thinking about it Back In The USSR is probably the exact same as on the Rock And Roll Music lp since it was released to promote it, i doubt EMI went to much trouble as it was a milking the cash cow exercise.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

31 July 2012
10.42pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members

meanmistermustard said

Thinking about it Back In The USSR is probably the exact same as on the Rock And Roll Music lp since it was released to promote it, .

Interesting, since in USA/Canada it was “Got To Get You Into My Life ” chosen to fulfill that role. I remember hearing it on the radio during the summer of ’76 (my first exposure to the song) but not knowing it was the Beatles until a few years later…

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

1 August 2012
12.31am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Back In The USSR got a promo as well, the foursome at airports. No idea why they had different singles in the countries.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 August 2012
6.55pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members

Capitol Records up to their old tricks, “Screw the UK, we’ll release what WE want for a single!”

Also, regarding the b-side: I’ve read online that Capitol chose “Helter Skelter ” to co-incide with the premiere of a TV movie of the same name (a dramatization of the book documenting the Manson case) but this could just be speculation.

offtopic-1.png

1 August 2012
7.35pm
alien64
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Thanks for the information :-)

Dave

1 August 2012
10.26pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

vonbontee said
Capitol Records up to their old tricks, “Screw the UK, we’ll release what WE want for a single!”

Also, regarding the b-side: I’ve read online that Capitol chose “Helter Skelter ” to co-incide with the premiere of a TV movie of the same name (a dramatization of the book documenting the Manson case) but this could just be speculation.

Ive heard the same thing regarding Helter Skelter and the movie and it wouldnt be that surprising to hear EMI cashing in regardless of the subject matter. If it was 20 years later Apple woul probably have released merchandise for its tv Premier.

2 August 2012
10.13pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members

Actually, now I’ve just read (on Wikipedia admittedly) that “Helter Skelter ” was originally supposed to be the A-side of the single, but Capitol changed it because of “negative connotations” with the movie having just aired! (In April; the single was released in June.) I’m not sure whether that song would’ve had better commercial prospects than “Got To Get You Into My Life “, so whether that’s true or not, who knows?

offtopic-1.png

10 August 2012
6.07am
RingoStarr39
Baden, PA
The Cavern Club
Members
Forum Posts: 85

1976 Yesterday single: Original 1965 stereo mix from UK Help !

1976 Back In The U.S.S.R. single: 1976 stereo mix from Rock ‘N’ Roll Music

I’m not sure about the Sgt. Pepper single, but I bet it’s the 1967-1970 version.

I hope that clears things up. :)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694