Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
John's Rickenbacker 1996
23 December 2017
12.06pm
Leppo
London
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 657
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Interesting article here about John’s Rickenbacker 1996.

https://reverb.com/news/how-jo….._source=FB

It was Beatlemania gone mad around Christmas 1964. The Beatles played a residency of seasonal shows at a theatre in West London from Christmas Eve right through the first few weeks of the new year. Paul played his Hofner bass, Ringo thrashed a Ludwig set, George switched between his Rickenbacker 12-string, a Gretsch Country Gent, and a Gretsch Tennessean, and John played his Rickenbacker 325.

Until, that is, John got so caught up in all the excitement that he managed to do some serious damage to his workhorse Rick, dropping it off the Hammersmith Odeon stage.

Lennon-1_yqq3zd.jpgImage Enlarger
Lennon plays his Rickenbacker 325 on the Ed Sullivan show in 1965.

Startled, John gave the guitar a quick once-over, turning it quickly this way and that. Relieved, he decided it looked alright.

But when he went to play the guitar at the following night’s performance, he found the more he played it, the more it went out of tune. Between songs, he took a closer look, and to his horror he noticed a crack going from the nut around the back of the headstock. Oh dear, he thought. Or words to that effect. What to do? Rose-Morris to the rescue.

John had played a couple Rickenbacker 325 models since the band’s early days, and it had remained more or less the only guitar he used. He told an interviewer at the time that it was “the most beautiful guitar.”

John bought the first one during a working visit to Hamburg, Germany, in 1960. Then, when visiting America in 1964, he got a gift from Rickenbacker, which provided a replacement for that road-weary axe. It was this second 325 that suffered from John’s experiment with an airborne six-string at Hammersmith.

Meanwhile, the British instrument distributor Rose-Morris had taken on the UK agency for Rickenbacker and commissioned six versions of a number of models.

Some were different when compared to the American originals, coming with a traditional f-hole rather than Rickenbacker’s no-soundhole or “slash” hole. And Rose-Morris renamed them based on an arcane numbering system: The “British” version of the Rickenbacker 330-12 became the 1993 in Rose-Morris’s sales material, for example, and the 325 became model 1996, and both had an f-hole in the body.

It’s not difficult to imagine that it was Mal Evans, The Beatles’ trusty roadie and general dogsbody, who was given the job (once again) of sorting out the mess John found himself in. It was probably Mal who had to scoot across to Rose-Morris’s HQ in northwest London and pick up a stand-in Rickenbacker ready for the next day’s performance at Hammersmith, about an hour’s taxi ride each way through the busy holiday traffic.

Rick-Ad-1_t4zskk.jpgImage Enlarger
Vintage Rose-Morris ad

Rose-Morris was happy to provide one of its “British” 1996 versions of the short-scale 325, finished as standard in Rickenbacker’s fireglo red sunburst rather than John’s preferred black. Maybe it was Mal, too, who then had a go at repairing the ailing 325.

John didn’t have to put up with the Rose-Morris model 1996 Rickenbacker for long. He soon had his regular 325 back in a reasonably playable condition, ready for the band’s first sessions of 1965 at Abbey Road .

Rose-Morris, in the meantime, pounced on a great promotional opportunity. The company had already exploited the link between Rickenbacker and The Beatles, underlining the fact that John played a 325 and George often used a 360/12 12-string. One of the Rose-Morris ads said, “Listen to ‘Beatles’ John And George … That’s The Great Rickenbacker Sound.”

After the Hammersmith incident, Rose-Morris’s next move was an obvious one. The firm quickly put together an ad for the musicians’ magazine Beat Instrumental Monthly that made the most of John’s brief encounter with the model 1996.

Rick-Ad-2_eoxcjk.jpgImage Enlarger
Vintage Rose-Morris ad

“Rickenbacker The Beatle Backer,” exclaimed the new ad, with a moody portrait of John next to a big picture of the f-holed Rick.

Rather cheekily, Rose-Morris then claimed: “This is the famous Rickenbacker guitar model 1996 as used by Beatle John Lennon . For a long time now, John and his Rickenbacker have been inseparable, so why don’t you try one at your local music shop?”

Well, yes, John did use it—for an hour or two. And he and his Rickenbacker had been inseparable—or at least John and his original Rickenbacker 325s had been.

After the Christmas shows, John took the model 1996 home and shoved it in a corner, out of sight and mind. Eventually he gave it to Ringo, probably around 1968. In recent years, Ringo had a clear out and sold a bunch of stuff at auction, including the Rickenbacker.

If Rose-Morris had ever got around to billing John for the guitar they gave him, it would have had a list price of 159 guineas. Some luxury British goods were priced this way, with a guinea worth one pound and one shilling. That put the Rose-Morris Rick at 166 pounds and 19 shillings, about $465 at the time, and roughly equivalent to some $3,700 in today’s money.

But these kinds of calculations fade into insignificance when it comes to the results of Ringo’s 2015 auction. The ex-John Rickenbacker sold for a cool $910,000. Not bad for a stopgap Christmas gift.

The following people thank Leppo for this post:

Bongo, hauserplenty

Pivotal Moments in Beatles History No.118:  Yoko helps herself to one of George's digestives. 

23 December 2017
5.03pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470

There’s a picture of him from 1967 and it shows the guitar.

johnhome4b.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Leppo, Bongo

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

26 December 2017
1.42pm
Leppo
London
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 657

Did you link the right pic @Dark Overlord ? I can’t see the Rickenbacker.

Pivotal Moments in Beatles History No.118:  Yoko helps herself to one of George's digestives. 

26 December 2017
2.22pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470

It’s directly above his foot that is on the ground, when you see it you’ll never unsee it.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

2 July 2019
5.43pm
Jenna L
The Cavern Club
Members
Forum Posts: 79

I See it

Ask Not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country -John F Kennedy 

3 July 2019
5.23am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2144

Leppo said 

Rick-Ad-2_eoxcjk.jpgImage Enlarger

Man, that is so cool. I’m going to print this off and hang it in my room.

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

2 March 2020
12.19pm
Jenna L
The Cavern Club
Members

6EE6EC11-0DFD-43BE-A164-8B1CE0AA2BD7.jpegImage Enlarger

The following people thank Jenna L for this post:

Timothy

Ask Not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country -John F Kennedy 

11 March 2020
9.07am
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916

Rick’s are the best. I outta know, that’s my name….. a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

9 June 2020
6.46pm
Cousin Mark
The Jacaranda
Members
Forum Posts: 30

Leppo said
Interesting article here about John’s Rickenbacker 1996.

https://reverb.com/news/how-jo….._source=FB

It was Beatlemania gone mad around Christmas 1964. The Beatles played a residency of seasonal shows at a theatre in West London from Christmas Eve right through the first few weeks of the new year. Paul played his Hofner bass, Ringo thrashed a Ludwig set, George switched between his Rickenbacker 12-string, a Gretsch Country Gent, and a Gretsch Tennessean, and John played his Rickenbacker 325.

Sad story about John’s original Rick 325: When Julian came to NYC the day after John was murdered, he visited Yoko at the Dakota. While there, Yoko took him to where the various guitars John played were on display, telling Julian that he could pick and keep the guitar for keeps. Julian was no fool. He chose the Rick. After all, John played it on Sullivan, AHDN and at Shea Stadium, 1965. It may be the guitar most associated with John. As the story goes, after Julian made his choice, Yoko reneged on her offer, saying that John had wanted Sean to have that guitar, telling Julian to pick another one. Does this story sound fishy to any of you? The story may or may not be true, even though I got it from 2 different sources. But I find it hard to believe that John designated that guitar go to Sean.

GRANDFATHER: Why do you always use your left hand?

PAUL: Well, don't be daft, I've got to.

GRANDFATHER: And I take a left-handed view of life, I've got to.

11 June 2020
9.14am
Jenna L
The Cavern Club
Members

That is Absolutely Fishy

i don’t think Sean wanted that Guitar 

Yoko should of just gave it to Jullian 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694