Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Hey Bulldog 1999 remix vs. 2009 remaster
8 March 2010
7.57pm
alexbunardzic
Vancouver
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 23
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Similar to the “It’s All Too Much ” remix vs remaster discussion I’ve just posted, I also did a critical comparative listen to “Hey Bulldog “. Even more than “It’s All Too Much “, “Hey Bulldog ” sounds incomparably better on the 2009 remaster.

One thing that immediately jumps at you when listening to the 1999 remix is how terribly pale and wimpy Paul’s bass sounds, compared to the 2009 remaster. Why did they have to tame Paul’s bass for the movie songtrack?

The guitar is too clinical sounding on the remix. All the essential grit that is so gloriously brought to the fore on the 2009 remaster is gone from the 1999 remix. The drums too, they lost the grittiness and the punch on the 1999 remix.

Overall, I find that all the existing remixes sound terrible when compared to the 2009 remasters. Obviously, one cannot improve on the perfection that is the Beatles original catalog. Need proof? Go and listen to the “For You Blue ” on the “Let It Be Naked”, and then listen to the same song on the 2009 remastered “Let It Be ” — the sound quality and the almost analog warmth on the 2009 remaster is so superior, that any untrained set of ears will be convinced on the spot.

Show me that I'm everywhere, and get me home for tea

8 March 2010
9.13pm
Elsewhere Man
Guests

On the whole I disagree. The remixes are superior if only for the improved stereo imaging. As for the “wimpiness” of the bass & drums, I’ll have to take another listen.

As for “For You Blue ,” the “naked” version has the essential acoustic guitar part – all of it, not just the intro. I never understood why Phil Spector did that. I don’t notice any lack of warmth either on the “naked” version…

8 March 2010
9.23pm
Marcelo
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 479

I have the “Hey Jude ” LP and Past Masters on CD. If you listen both “Revolution ” (single) versions, the last sounds like a sweet pop group as ABBA or Bee Gees trying to make a rock’n’roll cover; listening the first, sounds like four hooligans on drugs are breaking into your house, starts a fire with your destroyed furniture and rape your cat. Hahaha!

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

3 May 2010
10.36pm
TheOneBeatle
Here, There And Everywhere
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 678

I was amazed at first, when i listen the 1999 remasters, the stereo remixed channels did a great job, it make the songs just as i wanted, but when i heard the 2009, i was, WOW! the sound it’s to the top of pureness, excellent, drum, bass, guitar and everything and vocals too of the four, they’re playing just for me, the only ”but”, it’s that, no remixed channels, and also other ”but”, You Know My Name, was not mixed on stereo. Why?

Let me take you down 'cause I'm going to...Strawberry Fields.

4 May 2010
11.27am
McLerristarr
A Place
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 253

TheOneBeatleManiac said:

I was amazed at first, when i listen the 1999 remasters, the stereo remixed channels did a great job, it make the songs just as i wanted, but when i heard the 2009, i was, WOW! the sound it’s to the top of pureness, excellent, drum, bass, guitar and everything and vocals too of the four, they’re playing just for me, the only ”but”, it’s that, no remixed channels, and also other ”but”, You Know My Name, was not mixed on stereo. Why?

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) was not mixed in stereo on Past Masters because it was never mixed in stereo in the 60s (or 1970). It was only released in mono on the B-side to Let It Be .

24 March 2011
6.34am
TheOneBeatle
Hollywood Bowl
Members

I've Made this video and remixes at the beginning of the year, I've planned for a long time to stereo remix all Beatles songs, These were made no more than almost 3 months ago.

Enjoy! a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

24 March 2011
10.35am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5691

Nice work. I think it benefits to have the description from your YouTube page:

Instead of uploading only a few seconds of samples of Stereo Remixes i did of The Beatles, i decided to upload 8 full songs, Stereo Remixed by myself. These are probably the best stereo remixes you would find as i was very carefully with isolating frequencies. On some songs, some instruments had similar frequencies that made impossible to separate them, and so they share the same channel.
Even when the first two albums are only two-track, and the left track has all instruments in one, i was able to separate them on bass, drums, and the two guitars together.
Starting with the third album, starts to be more difficult to separate tracks even when now 4-tracks were used by now.
The only track not isolated by me but stereo remixed by myself was Within You Without You .

Hope you enjoy this full samples. You can ask for more :).
LISTEN IN 1080P OR ORIGINAL QUALITY (IF IS AVALIABLE), FOR THE BEST QUALITY SOUND.
Songs I Stereo remixed that made on this video:
Boys
You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me
Things We Said Today
Honey Don’t
I Need You
The Word
Within You Without You

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

10 May 2011
10.07am
McLennonSon
In the middle of the roundabout
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 810

Intresting.brian-epstein

I've read an article about it.

I've experienced a lot differences between those two different mixes.

I wonder why.a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8What?! Here There and Everythere in new mix???

My Music Blog.
One and one don't make two
One and one make one.

10 May 2011
10.10am
McLennonSon
In the middle of the roundabout
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 810

Wow!

Love the 'Things We Said Today ' One!

My Music Blog.
One and one don't make two
One and one make one.

16 May 2011
6.37am
TheOneBeatle
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Another stereo remix over here, now it’s All My Loving , and I fixed an really bad Paul bass mistake at around 1:19-1:20.

Enjoy! 

a-hard-days-night-paul-7

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691