Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Sir Paul to end London 2012 opening ceremony
28 July 2012
4.36pm
minime
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 511
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The mic accident in the beginning of Paul’s performance was so embarrassing, I could barely even watch. And why is it that it had to happen on Paul’s spot, and not on all the other performances? I think Paul’s voice was kind of weak in the beginning, and he sounded so old… But when he got the hang of it, so to say, he was awesome. And I was midly surprised to notice that the audience did sing along with him. I wonder, though, why he decided to open his act with In the End and not end with it? Perhaps it would have been too obvious, I suppose

ahdn_george_08 I really enjoyed picking all the Beatles references during the show, so the jackets were indeed from Sgt.pepper’s! Not being a brit, I couldn’t be sure whether that uniform is part of some older, traditional uniform as well. Overall, I think the show itself was great, especially the special effects like steam pipes rising from the ground and winged bikers, and Voldemort… blue-meanie Entrance of the representives of the olympic teams was _so_ boring. I think this is the first time I have managed to watch through it, and that was only because I wanted to see Paul ( I wonder if he will end the olympics as well? I suppose not) Artistic Monkeys  doing a cover of Come Together was a nice surprise, although throughout their performance I kept thinking that John sings it so much better than their vocalist ( I don’t know his name)

One part I didn’t like in the opening ceremony was the youngster’s “nightlife”. Blaah.

28 July 2012
7.22pm
GeorgeTSimpson
Vienna, Austria
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 343

I think the ceremony itself was a bit boring, paul’s performance was of course awesome

Once there was a way to get back homewards. Once there was a way to get back home; sleep pretty darling do not cry. And I will sing a lullaby

28 July 2012
7.55pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

I was at summer camp but I persuaded the monitors to let me get away from the end-of-camp party to watch it, hurrahh! From what I saw I imagine a lot of people were confused, especially those not from the UK who might not know about our history. Anyway, Paul was, of course, fantastic. I only wish he had sung another song or two.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

28 July 2012
8.23pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694

I’d agree with that. Arctic Monkeys got two songs, so I don’t see why McCartney couldn’t have done more. Golden Slumbers /Carry That Weight /The End would have been good. Music aside I thought the opening ceremony was brilliant. Danny Boyle did us proud.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

28 July 2012
8.45pm
I Me Mine
Under the sea, in a Yellow Submarine
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 175

Although I didn’t enjoy the whole opening ceremony that much (probably because I was being impatient for Paul’s performance) I loved the Arctic Monkey’s performance (both I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor and Come Together , especially the second one. I was like a-hard-days-night-ringo-6! I had always thought that it’s a pitty that they hadn’t covered the Beatles in their career, because thy’re my favourite current band) but the Greek TV commentator was speaking all the time during the song!paul-mccartney
When Paul came in and played The End I was like “What?!! That’s all?!!” but fortunately he then performed Hey Jude . In my opinion his performance was way better than the Diamond Jubillee one.

Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble.

28 July 2012
9.00pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694

Arctic Monkeys have done I Want You (She’s So Heavy) in the past, perhaps only live. I don’t really follow them, but I have heard that version.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

28 July 2012
11.41pm
Long John Silver
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 364

So they cover only John’s songs? They are actually very good, I have all their albums, and they are probably best of music today (beside Radiohead).

Anyway I didn’t watch the whole opening ceremony so if someone has it on Youtube please post it, I want to see the beginning. Also of what I saw, it was very good, a classy, I didn’t expected anything else from British. Chinese had better fireworks but British showed them you can make a better impression even with weaker fireworks and special effects.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.

28 July 2012
11.48pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402

Well, good to know who it was covering Come Together (and what the first song was – it was quite good). I’ll have to ask my brother for a recommendation (although plently are welcome here!).
Joe – I’m pretty sure people get a bloc of time allocated to them, which can be used however they want. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor was short, so they could do 2, whereas Paul had to do Hey Jude (if he didn’t do Hey Jude , you know it’d be the biggest story ever. He had to), which took up all of his allocated time.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

29 July 2012
6.03am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4621

I also thought that when Paul sang The end. I was like “Is that all??”

BTW There was a trending topic on twitter in Spanish that “Queremos a Paul!” (We want Paul)

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

29 July 2012
12.51pm
I Me Mine
London Palladium
Members

Joe said
Arctic Monkeys have done I Want You (She’s So Heavy) in the past, perhaps only live. I don’t really follow them, but I have heard that version.

I’ve heard it too, but it’s not the Arctic Monkeys, it’s the Last Shadow Puppets, which are a collaboration between Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys and Miles Kane of the Rascals. It’s not the same…

29 July 2012
1.31pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1026

I hated the first scene (fields and the industrial Revolution ), but fortunately it got better from there. Paul is so inspirational.

I told her I didn’t 

30 July 2012
2.45am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

Yes, it was the Arctic Monkeys, and they did a great version of “Come Together ” (appropriate song, I thought)

Also great fireworks to Pink Floyd’s “Great Gig in the Sky”

I was disappointed by the Macca set.

Not the choice of “Hey Jude ” – I get it.

– What happened at the beginning of the song????? Couldn’t hear him!

– I don’t think Macca’s getting good advice from whoever chooses his make-up, hair color, overall appearance. He’s easier on the ears than on the eyes. [I know his age; but Ringo looks much better, and Ringo’s older and not “the cute one”!]

– I didn’t think that opening with the end of “The End ” (“and in the end, the love you make….”) was a good idea. Shouldn’t he have ENDED with that the way he usually does? (btw, my understanding is that McC. didn’t pick the songs or the order, so this is not a criticism of the man).

– During the na-na-na-na part, the cameras focused on groups of athletes mugging for the camera. Only one group of athletes was filmed actually singing along.

– On a related note, as loud as people were probably singing, you wouldn’t have known that from watching TV. The na-na-na-na chorus was relatively faint as the cameras focused on the little groups of athletes. So Macca didn’t appear to be very effective in whipping up enthusiasm in the crowd.

Most of the big name British bands were represented during the ceremony – if only briefly. I don’t remember hearing any Elton John or Sting (Police) though.

Maybe they’ll do something big for the closing ceremony?

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

30 July 2012
3.27am
kedame
Miles above you
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 522

I’ve seen a bunch of criticism of Paul’s looks and performance from around the net (including some nastiness on his forum),  but I think the overall performance was very good. Is his voice in excellent shape? No. Was there a technical snafu? Yes. Does Paul look ever one of his 70 years? Certainly (could be Ringo looks a little better precisely because Paul was so good looking as a younger man…he had more to lose in the looks department than Ringo.).

But I think all the small criticisms take away from the larger effect. The overall message was one of unity. Everyone in the world can sing “Na na na…” You know? It seems some people (I’m not meaning you, Ron…you had something constructive to say, whereas some people on Paul’s forum seem to believe this performance was Paul’s apocalypse.) missed the entire point of the performance.

On a lighter note, one of the British gymnasts performed her floor routine to Live And Let Die !

"You can manicure a cat but can you caticure a man?"

John Lennon- Skywriting by Word of Mouth

30 July 2012
11.36am
minime
Carnegie Hall
Members

Ohh, I think Paul looked great, for his age. But I suppose it depends on who you compare it, how he looked like when he was young or how other rock stars of his age look? (members of Rolling Stones creep me out)

30 July 2012
1.33pm
Long John Silver
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 364

Someone needs to sing Imagine on the ending ceremony (Paul I’m looking at you :) ).

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.

30 July 2012
4.51pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Imagine might be used for the closing ceremony.

I dont quite understand what folks are looking for from Paul. Are they expecting the 1990 Paul still who belted out songs for hours without any hint of age or strain? Well forget it because that was 20 years ago and now he’s 70. His very best singing days are over (the days when he could sing for hours with so much force it was mindboggling at times) but is still well worth seeing at any opportunity possible.

What i keep reading is that its now ’embarrassing’ when he sings. For who? Pauls having a great time filling stadium after stadium and playing songs he loves. Those who attend have an awesome day out that they will never forget seeing thier hero playing their favourite songs.  Yes the setlist could do with a revamp but if Paul came to Scotland again i’d be there in a heartbeat, same with Ringo. And i wouldnt rerget t a penny.  

He could definately stop trying to recapture his 50’s himself tho, let the grey out and stop using hair dye.

The Police had at least song played, it was during the recap of the 80’s near the beginning (Every Breath You Take i think), the 60’s had a brief blast of Help !. It was when all the teenagers were jumping about playing with their ipods. I was in a pub and wasnt paying much attention until Help ! came on and then quilckly lost interest. No idea about Elton John but surely he had at least one song player even if it was just a clip.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 July 2012
6.49pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

Remarkably, you don’t have to go back 20 years to hear Sir Paul in full voice. I saw him last summer, and his voice was strong. He belted out songs and hit those high notes for 2hrs and 45 minutes non stop! Truly jaw-dropping.

Of course, back then he was only 69

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

30 July 2012
9.30pm
minime
Carnegie Hall
Members

Well, I heard him last December and he still sounded great! Rough rockers were a bit tough on him, but ballads he did awesome and most of the other songs, as well. And he went on for… I don’t know but it was many hours. And the newspapers around here praised him for doing what most modern, young pop star(t)s are unable to. For this reason, I find it unlikely that he should lose his voice so drastically over the course of half a year. I’m thinking that his world tour may have taken a strain on him, or perhaps he partied too hard on his birthday? (ok, maybe not) He may have had some sort of flue, as well. Anyway, I’m not convinced he has “lost” his voice permanently- not yeat. If he takes some time off, he may come back kicking and rocking hard.

30 July 2012
9.48pm
I Me Mine
London Palladium
Members

meanmistermustard said

He could definately stop trying to recapture his 50’s himself tho, let the grey out and stop using hair dye.

Certainly, someone must tell him that! And I’ve been thinking that he probably should change his manager (?) or whoever is responsible for that stuff… He needs someone to give him better advise…

30 July 2012
10.08pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445

I’ve never understood the point of these musicians playing their hit songs for these things. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate if they wrote something entirely new, or at least played something relevent to the theme of athletic competition/doing the best you can, something of that sort? (Hey, Paul could’ve played “Hi Hi Hi ” and pretended it was an official theme for the high jumping events!)

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard, sleeptalker
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694