Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
One On One Tour 2016
5 April 2016
1.06pm
Reklo87
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 181
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

JPM-Fangirl said 

Has anyone else gotten tickets for the upcoming tour yet?

Yep! I got two.

"No Beatles collection is too big or age restricted!"

5 April 2016
1.35pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798

Have you ever used airbnb @Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< ? It looks like there is some availability at the low end of the scale for that night. My daughter uses it quite a bit and has never had a bad experience (she relies on the reviews for the most part).

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Megal…..g=hawVHhaO

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

5 April 2016
5.16pm
Merch
Englishisnotmynativelanguageland
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 275

I know he has come to Uruguay twice in the last three (or four) years, but it’s not bad to come one more time, we’re a really nice country and we are right next to Argentina, it’s just 200km, it can’t be that hard.

If it was up for me, I’d gladly go to Argentina to see him, but crossing the river is not easy or cheap.

The following people thank Merch for this post:

Beatlebug

"We think George Harrison is the most marvelous thing since boys were discovered." - Diane and Jenny of Bedford, the smartest girls ever.

5 April 2016
5.39pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181

Zig reassured

JPM-Fangirl queried anxiously 
Should I add the ‘contains spoilers’ thing now, or wait until after the Fresno show? We should have an idea about the changes then.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t think you’ll have to worry about spoilers. 

I echo echo echo Zig’s sentiments. I actually prefer to know as much as possible… seeing Paul vicariously through someone else. a-hard-days-night-george-10

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

6 April 2016
9.47am
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435

Alright, but just so you know….

If I get anywhere near close enough to take pictures, you’re going to regret the day you said you said that ^. a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

sigh butterfly

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

6 April 2016
9.54am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members

sigh butterfly said
Have you ever used airbnb @Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< ? It looks like there is some availability at the low end of the scale for that night. My daughter uses it quite a bit and has never had a bad experience (she relies on the reviews for the most part).

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Megal…..g=hawVHhaO

Oh no, I could never do that; staying at someone’s house. I’m what they call a keyboard warrior, but I’m terribly shy and introverted in real life. I wouldn’t sleep a wink, wouldn’t even dare use the loo, afraid to bother someone. Cheers for checking, though! heart

I actually may have found a sort-of solution. Apparently, there’s also the opportunity of taking a bus, which would still be a very long ride (three hours one way), but I’d be sure of a seat and I’d at least get back to my home town, albeit at 4 AM or so. I’d still have to walk 20-30 minutes, but I wouldn’t have to fight to squeeze myself into a train, only to end up stranded 100km or more from home. Prices are very reasonable too; €34 for a roundtrip. I think I’ll just go for that and pray to the Fabs the people on that bus will be relatively quiet. Or, you know, I could bring headphones…. a-hard-days-night-paul-11

sigh butterfly

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

6 April 2016
11.28am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members

The first date of the second leg has been announced. Good news for our American Biblers: St. Louis on the 13th of August.

Zig, Little Piggy Dragonguy, Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug

6 April 2016
12.18pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

He’s getting closer! Sounds like a weather report.

A warm front will be moving eastward across the country starting in August. By late September, possibly early October, Pennsylvania will see partly sunny skies with a chance of Macca!!!

The following people thank Zig for this post:

pepperland, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, Little Piggy Dragonguy, Ahhh Girl, BeatleSnut, Beatlebug

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

6 April 2016
3.41pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

I want him to do an Australian concert just for the poor Aussie fans, it’s been 23 years since he’s visited.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

7 April 2016
12.50am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members

I agree, @AppleScruffJunior, it’s Long, Long, Long overdue.

Looks like Europe isn’t going to be seeing much more of him, either. He’s headed back to the States as early as 8 July, says the latest revealed tour date. I wish he’d do a good, long European tour, including a UK tour. You know, more than the few weeks he tends to do. But, in all fairness, we’re lucky to get a chance at all, which is more than some people can say.

Does anyone care to venture a guess as to why Paul tours the US so much more than any other part of the world?

7 April 2016
2.31am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

A large part of it is to do with finances, @Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<. I’m not suggesting it’s to do with how much he personally makes but, because of the scale of the show he likes to put on, his tours cost quite a lot. The US has many more large stadiums and venues than Europe. Often US Universities have larger stadiums than many of the professional football teams in the top league of their European country. The larger the venue, the bigger the audience, the less you need to worry about the cost of the tour.

You only need to look at where the biggest stadiums in the world are to get an idea of the appeal of the US to many of the world’s biggest acts (capacity given in brackets):

20: Memorial Stadium, Nebraska, USA (85,000)
19: Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Florida, USA (88,548)
18: Wembley, United Kingdom (90,000)
17: Cotton Bowl, Texas, USA (91,100)
16: Rose Bowl, California, USA (92,542)
15: Sanford Stadium, Georgia, USA (92,746)
14: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, California, USA (93,607)
13: Soccer City, South Africa (94,713)
12: Estadio Azteca, Mexico (95,5000)
11: Camp Nou, Spain (99,786)
10: Melbourne Cricket Ground, Australia (100,024)
09: Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Texas, USA (100,119)
08: Bryant-Denny Stadium, Alabama, USA (101,821)
07: Tiger Stadium, Louisiana, USA (102,321)
06: Neyland Stadium, Tennessee, USA (102,455)
05: Kyle Field, Texas, USA (102,512)
04: Ohio Stadium, Ohio, USA (104,944)
03: Beaver Stadium, Pennsylvania, USA (107,572)
02: Michigan Stadium, Michigan (107,601)
01: Rungrado 1st of May Stadium, North Korea (150,000)

Fourteen of the world’s biggest stadiums are in the USA, with a fifteenth just a hop over the border into Mexico. Only two European stadiums are in the running. Obviously, the world’s biggest stadium doesn’t get much use. Not many acts (ie. none) want to play North Korea.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

pepperland, Beatlebug

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 April 2016
3.08am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

I couldn’t see it mentioned above, but Paul announced Milwaukee as well as St. Louis yesterday.

He will headline SummerFest there on 8 July.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 April 2016
6.31am
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

JPM-Fangirl said

Looks like Europe isn’t going to be seeing much more of him, either. He’s headed back to the States as early as 8 July, says the latest revealed tour date. I wish he’d do a good, long European tour, including a UK tour. You know, more than the few weeks he tends to do. But, in all fairness, we’re lucky to get a chance at all, which is more than some people can say.

Image Enlarger

I’ll take an acoustic gig Paul, anything!

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

7 April 2016
8.39am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members

If venue size is such a big factor, @Ron Nasty, then why did Paul play the Ziggo Dome last year, and not the Amsterdam ArenA, which is literally next-door to the Ziggo Dome?

The Ziggo Dome is a concert venue by design, but it only has a 17,000 capacity whereas the Amsterdam ArenA is the Netherlands’ largest football stadium with a 53,500 capacity, and that’s not counting the field, so let’s say 60,000 in total. It’s a great venue. It has a roof that opens and closes depending on the weather and the requirements of the events, and often gets used for major concerts. Major names who played there are David Bowie, Tina Turner, Michael Jackson, the Stones, Muse, and AC/DC, just to name a few. So, why not Paul?

I wasn’t joking when I said it’s next-door. In order to get from the train station to the Ziggo Dome, which is a 5-minute walk, you have to walk past and around the ArenA; you can even cross underneath one of the pillars which support the stands. When I was waiting for the doors of the venue to open, I sat with my back against the gates of the ArenA whilst keeping an eye on the Ziggo Dome’ entrance. That’s how close-by it is.

Before Paul played the Ziggo Dome, he usually used Ahoy’ Rotterdam, which is smaller: 15,000. And that’s just here; in London, he last played the O2, and not Wembley. He obviously doesn’t mind the lesser sound quality of outdoors venues or stadiums, so if it’s really about capacity, then why don’t they book the largest venues? 

You may very well be right, don’t get me wrong. I just find it odd that if that’s the reason, MPL doesn’t consistently book the biggest venues. And they could have gotten the ArenA on the same day; there was nothing going on there at the time. This tells me there has to be a different reason, even if it’s an additional one. 

Beatlebug, pepperland

7 April 2016
9.10am
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

^ He’s never played Croke Park or Slane Castle here which hold 80,000, granted they are very exclusive to get into (CP can only have 3 gigs a year- this year it’s Bruce Springsteen and Beyonce and SC only has 2 at most, although there’s going to be none this year due to renovations) but he’s Paul McCartney he could fill them no problem yet his management chooses to play the 3Arena which only holds 15,000 and the RDS which holds 18,500.

Next time he does a gig in the UK, I’ll buy tickets for that and just keep a cheap flight over, no use bollocking around waiting for an Irish date.

Beatlebug, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

7 April 2016
10.56am
Reklo87
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 181

He is playing the Key Arena is Seattle, WA (USA) and that is 17,400 before a stage set up. It will be even less than that for the show.  I am not sure how or why they choose the places they tour.  My guess it has to do with scheduling and maybe even, Paul wants to tour the US again.  Maybe he likes it.??.

"No Beatles collection is too big or age restricted!"

7 April 2016
12.16pm
Bullion
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 185

I don’t understand why he would skip out on Los Angeles

7 April 2016
2.03pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

JPM-Fangirl said
If venue size is such a big factor, @Ron Nasty, then why did Paul play the Ziggo Dome last year, and not the Amsterdam ArenA, which is literally next-door to the Ziggo Dome?

The Ziggo Dome is a concert venue by design, but it only has a 17,000 capacity whereas the Amsterdam ArenA is the Netherlands’ largest football stadium with a 53,500 capacity, and that’s not counting the field, so let’s say 60,000 in total. It’s a great venue. It has a roof that opens and closes depending on the weather and the requirements of the events, and often gets used for major concerts. Major names who played there are David Bowie, Tina Turner, Michael Jackson, the Stones, Muse, and AC/DC, just to name a few. So, why not Paul?

I wasn’t joking when I said it’s next-door. In order to get from the train station to the Ziggo Dome, which is a 5-minute walk, you have to walk past and around the ArenA; you can even cross underneath one of the pillars which support the stands. When I was waiting for the doors of the venue to open, I sat with my back against the gates of the ArenA whilst keeping an eye on the Ziggo Dome’ entrance. That’s how close-by it is.

Before Paul played the Ziggo Dome, he usually used Ahoy’ Rotterdam, which is smaller: 15,000. And that’s just here; in London, he last played the O2, and not Wembley. He obviously doesn’t mind the lesser sound quality of outdoors venues or stadiums, so if it’s really about capacity, then why don’t they book the largest venues? 

You may very well be right, don’t get me wrong. I just find it odd that if that’s the reason, MPL doesn’t consistently book the biggest venues. And they could have gotten the ArenA on the same day; there was nothing going on there at the time. This tells me there has to be a different reason, even if it’s an additional one. 

I don’t think @Ron Nasty meant to suggest Macca only plays large arenas @Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< . I think he was just answering your question as to why he plays more US venues than anywhere else. He’d be a fool not to play smaller arenas whenever possible as sometimes that is all there is available. And Mary McCartney raised no fools.

Don.W said
I don’t understand why he would skip out on Los Angeles

He may not skip it – it could be added to the second US leg of the tour. One never knows.

BTW – all of these are mammoth college football stadiums. We Americans love our college football!

20: Memorial Stadium, Nebraska, USA (85,000) – University of Nebraska
19: Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Florida, USA (88,548) – University of Florida
17: Cotton Bowl, Texas, USA (91,100) – Home of the Cotton Bowl game and the annual Red River Rivalry (University of Texas vs University of Oklahoma).
16: Rose Bowl, California, USA (92,542) – University of California Los Angeles (So the next time UCLA rainclouds…) a-hard-days-night-paul-7
15: Sanford Stadium, Georgia, USA (92,746) – University of Georgia 
14: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, California, USA (93,607) – University of Southern California
09: Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Texas, USA (100,119) – University of Texas 
08: Bryant-Denny Stadium, Alabama, USA (101,821) – University of Alabama
07: Tiger Stadium, Louisiana, USA (102,321) – Louisiana State University (Geaux Tigers!) 
06: Neyland Stadium, Tennessee, USA (102,455) – University of Tennessee
05: Kyle Field, Texas, USA (102,512) Texas A&M University
04: Ohio Stadium, Ohio, USA (104,944) – Ohio State University
03: Beaver Stadium, Pennsylvania, USA (107,572) – Pennsylvania State University
02: Michigan Stadium, Michigan (107,601) – University of Michigan

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Ron Nasty

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

7 April 2016
4.39pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

Every time there is a new post in this thread, my heart skips a beat while I wait for it to load hoping I’ll see Dallas or an Oklahoma location. I’d even go into southern Kansas.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

pepperland
7 April 2016
4.46pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

How Some Strange Donuts Broke the News Paul McCartney Is Coming to St. Louis

Here’s the jist of the article without all the Twitter screen captures.

When the St. Louis Cardinals front office announced a special press conference to unveil the headliner for a special concert this summer, St. Louisans immediately started guessing which musical act would be coming to Baseball heaven.

Some people guessed wrong…

…and some got it right.

Technically, St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay was supposed to make the big announcement. Joined by Cardinals president Bill DeWitt III and an executive from AEG Live, the events company organizing the concert, he introduced the show with a long build-up of references to songs from The Beatles’ and McCartney’s oeuvres, which you can watch here: (snip)

But the secret was already out, thanks to this picture of McCartney-themed donuts:

mccartney-donuts.JPGImage Enlarger

Strange Donuts made the donuts, some decorated with the Union Jack and others with McCartney’s signature.

AEG even sent donuts to local newsrooms to get the word out. (Sadly, SLM’s donuts must have gotten lost in the mail.)

AEG Live marketing associate Michelle Love thanked Strange Donuts for making the custom donuts to celebrate McCartney’s return to St. Louis. He played here five years ago, and The Beatles played the old Busch Stadium 50 years ago.

Because when one of the biggest names in music is headlining a show in one of your city’s most revered spaces, what better way to announce it than with donuts?

Me. Want. Donuts.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Zig
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: GlassOnion
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691