Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
An American tour in 2017- WHY?
27 July 2017
12.04pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Maybe he needs the money. He does have to pay for child support.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Ahhh Girl

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

29 July 2017
10.14pm
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699

Yeah, I agree with @AppleScruffJunior, WHY? He should be playing a European tour, then a Canadian one. a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank WeepingAtlasCedars for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

29 January 2018
7.49am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

Why?  I think that just everyone agrees here that he simply loves to perform for an audience…

Why not?  Well…  I think he runs the risk of being lumped into the same bin as The Rolling Stones, who also still love to perform live, but probably should’ve hung it up a long time ago…  I’ve passed on opportunities to go see him live in recent years for the same reasons that I’ve passed on seeing The Stones…  Straight up, I don’t think that either of them sound all that great live anymore, and that’s what draws me to a concert…  the music, not the spectacle…  I’ve never been a fan of any of Paul’s backing bands, including the various editions of Wings, and this group that he’s been touring with for some time now has to be one of the worst…  He’s always employed the flashier drummers and the current one (his name eludes me) is way too busy for Beatles’ music, in my opinion…  I’ve seen tribute bands recreating The Beatles’ sound in far more impressive fashion than this lineup…  but, they’re all having a good time and so is the crowd so, yeah, “why not?”…

All of this is amplified by the rapid deterioration of Paul’s once wonderful singing voice…  While I still hear flashes of brilliance here and there, the stumbling about inevitably brought on by age is becoming more and more apparent…  Paul’s vocals back in the 1990’s were considerably smoother than they are now, but even then some of his performances were just horrid, as evidenced by the ‘Tripping The Live Fantastic ‘ album released back then…  ‘Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ & ‘Birthday ‘ are two that I distinctly remember cringing to, or how about the chorus in ‘Got To Get You Into My Life ‘?!  Utterly Dreadful…  I lost any desire to see Paul live after hearing that album, he and his band were just murdering the songbook and that was what, 25 years ago?  He really should, at the very least, drop some of these songs for good to avoid further embarrassment…  especially ‘Helter Skelter ‘…

There’s also the fact that he’s repeating himself…  The two opportunities that I had to see him live were in 2012 & 2016 at Vancouver, B.C., the 2012 show was his first performance in Vancouver since The Beatles had played there in 1964…  Upon viewing the setlists for both these shows 4 years apart, what sticks out for me is how many of the same songs were chosen…  OK, maybe he can’t get away with dropping ‘Hey Jude ‘ from the set, but how about ‘My Valentine ‘ for starters…  Ringo atleast can use the excuse of a limited catalogue to draw from, but Paul McCartney ?

I’d like to see Paul & Ringo both drop their respective bands and hit the reset button here…  Check out their performance together for that Meditation Benefit, or whatever it was in New York a number of years back…  You can see the magic happen before your very eyes as soon as Ringo joins Paul onstage for ‘With A Little Help From My Friends ‘…  Paul gets to take a step back and play one that he doesn’t often play, as it’s reserved for Billy Shears only (and he gets to rest his voice momentarily)…  Paul later even pulls ‘Cosmically Conscious’ from the archives, instead of the predictable standard, and it’s one of Paul’s better live performances in “recent” memory, Ringo appears very into it…  What I’m saying here is, I think that the two of them should do one last tour together (maybe even just a few shows) on a smaller scale…  Perhaps even revive the ‘Beatlefest’ happenings from the 70s where it becomes a weekend event culminating in a special performance by Sirs Paul McCartney & Richard Starkey M.B.E. in select cities around the world…:-) 

26 March 2018
10.32pm
Emmett
Detroit, MI USA
The Indra
Members
Forum Posts: 37

Having seen/heard him from this tour, I wonder why he’s making a fool of himself.  His voice is totally shot!  It’s sad and pathetic, really.  I’d prefer to remember him singing well.  It’s like the prize fighter who doesn’t know when to hang up his gloves.

If I were stranded on a deserted island and could only bring one album with me, it would be Revolver. 

I just hope that I would have some means of playing it.  Ha ha!

26 March 2018
11.49pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008

Emmett said
Having seen/heard him from this tour, I wonder why he’s making a fool of himself.  His voice is totally shot!  It’s sad and pathetic, really.  I’d prefer to remember him singing well.  It’s like the prize fighter who doesn’t know when to hang up his gloves.  

You can hear his age in his voice but he still performs well and I wouldn’t say he is making a fool of himself. His tours make a lot of money and he plays to a lot of people. I would say it is the opposite of sad and pathetic. 

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

27 March 2018
2.49am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

There are thousands of hundreds of thousands of people who still want to see him play. Paul singing and touring ages 76 is doing to his legacy no harm and he is enjoying it still so why not.

I don’t think his voice is anywhere near as good as it was even 10 years ago but it doesn’t bother me in the slightest he continues to play.  

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, wilusa, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 March 2018
7.39am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22233

Here’s hoping for a 2018 tour! Sing to us, Macca!

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug, sir walter raleigh, wilusa, WeepingAtlasCedars
27 March 2018
10.38am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141

I think it’s sad that some people think he should stop performing just because they don’t appreciate his shows. It doesn’t even make sense to want him to stop touring if you don’t like his concerts, because if you don’t like them you shouldn’t even be going, so him continuing has no impact on your life. It’s super obvious that Paul loves touring for his fans, and there are so many fans who also love the experience. Paul shouldn’t be put down for doing something that brings him and so many of his fans joy. People get old and their voices change. He doesn’t have to stop following his vocation just because he has aged and can’t sing as well as he did when he was young. 

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

Beatlebug, BeatleSnut, wilusa, WeepingAtlasCedars

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

31 May 2018
7.28pm
Saltie
The Top Ten Club
Members
Forum Posts: 65

Why? I think it’s pretty much agreed that when the Beatles broke up they went out brilliantly on a high note. Why wouldn’t people want the same for Paul (or Ringo)? He keeps going because it’s almost an addiction in itself – he just can’t stop. The emotional attachment to the Beatles/Paul is so massive that people just can’t let him go. One day he will falter and there will be much beying for his blood. People can be brutal, believe me. I think it is cruel to potentially set him up for this. So what if hundreds of thousands have never seen him perform live. Neither did hundreds of thousands (millions in fact) get to see the Beatles perform in the sixties. The Beatles have left a wealth of fabulous music, recorded on many various formats, thousands of images, still and moving, for people to pore over, and countless words written about them to devour. What more do people want from Paul McCartney ?

The following people thank Saltie for this post:

Pineapple Records
31 May 2018
9.18pm
Pineapple Records
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 842

Saltie said
Why? I think it’s pretty much agreed that when the Beatles broke up they went out brilliantly on a high note. Why wouldn’t people want the same for Paul (or Ringo)? He keeps going because it’s almost an addiction in itself – he just can’t stop. The emotional attachment to the Beatles/Paul is so massive that people just can’t let him go. One day he will falter and there will be much beying for his blood. People can be brutal, believe me. I think it is cruel to potentially set him up for this. So what if hundreds of thousands have never seen him perform live. Neither did hundreds of thousands (millions in fact) get to see the Beatles perform in the sixties. The Beatles have left a wealth of fabulous music, recorded on many various formats, thousands of images, still and moving, for people to pore over, and countless words written about them to devour. What more do people want from Paul McCartney ?  

I can understand what Saltie is saying, but my philosophy for aging performers is “why not?”.  It really hit home for me when I saw a YouTube of Little Richard at what must have been his last performance.  He could barely play the piano and he sang even less ably.  But there he was, doing it anyway.  I thought, “good for you!”  A close cousin of “why not?” with reference to those who would criticize a Paul finally past his prime, is “did we ask you?”

Back in the 90s, I created a faux newspaper clipping (without a computer — I used those ancient devices known as newspapers, an electric typewriter, and a Xerox machine) of the New York Times in the future (in the year 2067) with the headline, “McCartney Still Rocking at 125”.  I’m now not so sure that’s purely a fantastic premise…

The following people thank Pineapple Records for this post:

Little Piggy Dragonguy

A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,

a coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news...

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: LucyInTheSkyWithHackneyDiamonds
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22233, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694