Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
John & Yoko jam with Frank Zappa, circa 1971
20 August 2013
4.30pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Ive just googled Ron Jeremys image, he was in the adult business!!! Where do I go for a Yoko art marathon?

Based on that answer I suppose its not safe to ask what a rimshot is! Im guessing more risqué than two-virgins

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 August 2013
5.24pm
DrBeatle
The Midwest via Boston
Candlestick Park
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 1595

No, a rimshot is a smack on a snare drum after a bad joke…think of a scene from an old movie where some comedian onstage tells a corny joke…usually the band in back would hit a rim shot followed by a cymbal crash –> “bomp-bomp-CRASH!”

"I know you, you know me; one thing I can tell you is you got to be free!"

Please Visit My Website, The Rock and Roll Chemist

Twitter: @rocknrollchem

Facebook: rnrchemist

20 August 2013
5.34pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

No, there is definitely a meaning more applicable to Ron Jeremy. Here is definitely not the place though.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

20 August 2013
8.12pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097

Wow, did I take this topic to a place it should have never gone.

In all fairness to Ron, he has suffered from some major health issues recently, so I guess I should leave him alone…

… with the nurse.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

20 August 2013
10.10pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080

While I love Zappa’s madly inspired song “Yellow Snow”, I’ve seen a couple of interviews with him and I can tell he’s the type of person I’d hate to have to spend even 60 seconds of my life with.  He comes off as an arrogantly anal asshole.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

20 August 2013
10.35pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448

All assholes are anal, be fair!

“Yellow Snow” is one of the low points of his career, really. It’s like his “Yellow Submarine ” or “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer “.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

21 August 2013
6.24am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

Von Bontee said
All assholes are anal, be fair!

“Yellow Snow” is one of the low points of his career, really. It’s like his “Yellow Submarine ” or “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer “.

That’s like saying “A Winter’s Tale” was one of Shakespeare’s low points of his career…

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

21 August 2013
7.43am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448

OK, “one of the low points” is a bit harsh, even of most Zappa fans would agree. (Got him all kinds of attention for having an actual minor HIT SINGLE with one of the silliest songs of his career, don’tcha know.) But it deals mainly in aspects of his work that I like the least: childish humour (peepee jokes, wow!) and silly singing voices, without the sophisticated composing and jazzy improvs and hot guitars. And funny humour.

Actually I like “Yellow Snow”, really, just as I like “Yellow Submarine ” (and yet I dislike the colour yellow, go figure!) But few would deny that both songs are far from their creators’ best works. I think my comparison is a good one.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

22 August 2013
3.59am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

One of the most remarkable concerts I’ve ever been to – and certainly the most unique, was Zappa’s Mothers in Providence, Rhode Island (early ’70s – someone here will look it up).

For that concert, he also had Flo and Eddie, the main guys in the Turtles.

The entire concert (I’m guessing 1 and a half to two hours) was one long continuously varying song without interruption. And it was fantastic. Yes, regardless of his personality, Zappa was an outstanding musician.

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

22 August 2013
1.46pm
DrBeatle
The Midwest via Boston
Candlestick Park
Members

Reviewers

^that sounds like his Fillmore East 1971 album…it’s with Flo and Eddie and the entire concert was one of FZ’s “conceptual continuity” pieces dubbed “The Groupie Routine.” It’s fucking hilarious, and great music, too.

28 August 2013
3.29pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5691

So many Zappa fans here. He’s one major artist from that era that I’ve never really listened to. Can someone give me some pointers for where to start?

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

28 August 2013
6.20pm
DrBeatle
The Midwest via Boston
Candlestick Park
Members

Reviewers

I’d start with his most accessible albums: Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe (&#39a-hard-days-night-george-10. They are almost a part 1 and 2. Great albums. And for a live taster, either Roxy and Elsewhere or Zappa in New York. For me, his best period is the 70s (’69-’79), but I like it all.

28 August 2013
7.29pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097

DrBeatle said
I’d start with his most accessible albums: Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe (&#39a-hard-days-night-george-10. They are almost a part 1 and 2. Great albums. And for a live taster, either Roxy and Elsewhere or Zappa in New York. For me, his best period is the 70s (’69-’79), but I like it all.

What’s your take on You Are What You Is? That’s the one Zappa album (aside from Strictly Commercial) that I own, and I can still remember years ago my then-girlfriend, the daughter of a Baptist minister, listening to “Dumb All Over” for the first time and her jaw hit the floor. All she could do was mouth “Oh My God “… it was all I could do not to bust out laughing, only because her shocked reaction was priceless.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

28 August 2013
8.03pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444

It’s not easy to make recommendations since his records covered at least 5-6 wildly different sub-genres, most of which he invented himself. A few touchstones:

Freak Out! – The Mothers’ (i.e., Frank’s) debut, the first (or second) double-album in rock. First disc is largely satirical takes on modern America and ten years of American pop/rock music; second disc is avant-garde studio jams and musique concrete.

We’re Only In It For The Money – This one’s pretty infamous – at least, the cover is. Often considered Zappa’s best.

Hot Rats
– Almost totally instrumental, elaborately arranged jazz/R&B rock jams.

There’s a few favourites (from 1966-1969). But it’s maybe important to mention that if you investigate the man’s catalogue hoping for *songs* – as in, the kind with poetic lyrics that are maybe written on the acoustic guitar, and can become well-loved standards – you’re not gonna find many.

XpostYou Are What You Is is probably the last really decent Zappa album, in my opinion. I like “Dumb All Over”! Neat to hear Frank give rap a try (in 1981, right on schedule.)

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

28 August 2013
8.14pm
DrBeatle
The Midwest via Boston
Candlestick Park
Members

Reviewers

wetsroosa said

DrBeatle said

What’s your take on You Are What You Is? That’s the one Zappa album (aside from Strictly Commercial) that I own, and I can still remember years ago my then-girlfriend, the daughter of a Baptist minister, listening to “Dumb All Over” for the first time and her jaw hit the floor. All she could do was mouth “Oh My God “… it was all I could do not to bust out laughing, only because her shocked reaction was priceless.

Not crazy about You Are What You Is. Some good tunes but a lot of ones I don’t care for. I’m really not as much a fan of his early 80s stuff…it’s hit or miss. The stuff from Joe’s Garage and earlier is great, and I love the guitar and live albums from the 80s (Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar, Guitar, the live ones).

And yes, Hot Rats would be another great one to start with.

29 August 2013
11.54pm
RunForYourLife
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 153

Tea and Sympathy said
I thought an artist like Zappa would have been into Yoko.  Oh well.  Do you think the animosity was a result of the business complications, or was it personal?

I think Zappa saw through her. His avant-garde stuff is actually quite complex and meticulously composed, whereas her and John’s stuff always came off as “crazy for the sake of crazy” and a bit contrived. I’d take “Return of the Son of the Monster Magnet” over “Revolution 9 ” any day of the week.

Fun Fact: Zappa always said he was never really into The Beatles, but did admit that he enjoyed “Paperback Writer “, “Strawberry Fields” and “I Am The Walrus “. Everybody has at least one.

30 August 2013
2.35am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

Tea and Sympathy said
“I thought an artist like Zappa would have been into Yoko.  Oh well.”

I don’t think Zappa was into anyone other than himself.

30 August 2013
2.55am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

I think Yoko would have tested the patience of the most open-minded of artists.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

30 August 2013
3.46pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5691

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll see what I can dig out from the library at work.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

1 September 2013
4.27am
RunForYourLife
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 153

When Jerry Lee Lewis’ cousin, televangelist Jimmy Swaggart, got busted with a prostitute, this became part of Zappa’s live act.

WARNING: The lyrics are a little… blue…

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: kelicopter
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691