Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Live Peace In Toronto 1969
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
14 March 2019
5.39pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I think everyone should hear the following Yoko songs before deciding she has no talent:

Mind Train

Midsummer New York

Mrs. Lennon

Remember Love

Listen, The Snow Is Falling

Yang Yang

No, No, No

Walking On Thin Ice

Wouldnit

Ask The Dragon

Kurushi

Take Me To The Land Of Hell

As mentioned above, side two of the album can be heard (and seen,  which is cool because you can watch John and Eric create feedback) in the first post on this page.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

50yearslate, QuarryMan

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

14 March 2019
6.08pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

Expert Textpert said

As mentioned above, side two of the album can be heard (and seen,  which is cool because you can watch John and Eric create feedback) in the first post on this page.

the video “in the first post” is incomplete…  I believe that ‘Cold Turkey ‘ is the last song…:-)

14 March 2019
6.11pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Ahh, too bad. Must have been edited by a revisionist Yoko hater.

14 March 2019
6.16pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

@50yearslate here is the video with Yoko’s set included.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

50yearslate, Von Bontee

14 March 2019
6.20pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Expert Textpert said
I think everyone should hear the following Yoko songs before deciding she has no talent:

Mind Train

Midsummer New York

Mrs. Lennon

Remember Love

Listen, The Snow Is Falling

Yang Yang

No, No, No

Walking On Thin Ice

Wouldnit

Ask The Dragon

Kurushi

Take Me To The Land Of Hell

I’m listening to this playlist now.

15 March 2019
1.42am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

Expert Textpert said
Not laughing at all. If you watch the  video of the performance, what  John and Eric doing during the Yoko pieces is fascinating. They are clearly creating the future. Some of us are only able to live in the past, I guess. 

We can’t live in the past, or the future we only have the present…..But…

….The present now was the future 50 years ago…..So let’s ask, what’s been the long term, or even short term influence of Yoko on Eric Clapton? How has Yoko’s influence shaped his musical career since then?

I can tell you, because on occasion I’m still buying Clapton’s records, that, that  wouldn’t be the case if one scintilla of Yoko’s influence had survived that night in Toronto, or from his Plastic Mac performance with John…….Another event ruined by her …..In my opinion.   

I recall a line, (the only line) that Eric contributed his voice to on the early 80’s  track, ‘The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking’ by Rodger Waters. It contains an attack on Yoko that’s a little too vicious for my tastes……. But it’s indicative to me that knowing this, Eric willingly contributes the lines in bold and a killer solo. 

“I was standing on the leading edge
The Eastern seaboard spread before my eyes
“Jump” said Yoko Ono
“I’m too scared and too good looking” I cried

“Go on,” she says
“Why don’t you give it a try?
Why prolong the agony
All men must die”

……..

Did you understand the music, Yoko
Or was it all in vain?
The bitch said something mystical……So I stepped back on the curb again,”

We’ll never see eye-to-eye on Yoko. We don’t need too. I enjoyed those years and read with interest all the stories surrounding John and her at the time.

I can see her effect on John as a muse….And there are many songs he wrote for her. I take that as a positive.

Just wish she hadn’t clung so hard to John’s coat-tails seemingly insisting on an equal billing, something that she didn’t merit in my opinion. …….And in the process buggaring up otherwise wonderful events.

Each to his/her own. 

15 March 2019
1.56am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410

Wigwam said
Each to his/her own. 

Just say ‘Each to their own’. It’s easier and doesn’t discriminate.

ET – your playlist does contain some good material there… especially Walking On Thin Ice, a damn fine groove there (but goes on a bit too long but that’s just me and my dislike of long songs). I must listen to the ones that I haven’t heard yet, I shall do that tonight. yoko-ono_01

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Expert Textpert

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

15 March 2019
2.12pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Wigwam said

Expert Textpert said

Not laughing at all. If you watch the  video of the performance, what  John and Eric doing during the Yoko pieces is fascinating. They are clearly creating the future. Some of us are only able to live in the past, I guess. 

We can’t live in the past, or the future we only have the present…..But…

….The present now was the future 50 years ago…..So let’s ask, what’s been the long term, or even short term influence of Yoko on Eric Clapton? How has Yoko’s influence shaped his musical career since then?

I can tell you, because on occasion I’m still buying Clapton’s records, that, that  wouldn’t be the case if one scintilla of Yoko’s influence had survived that night in Toronto, or from his Plastic Mac performance with John…….Another event ruined by her …..In my opinion.   

I recall a line, (the only line) that Eric contributed his voice to on the early 80’s  track, ‘The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking’ by Rodger Waters. It contains an attack on Yoko that’s a little too vicious for my tastes……. But it’s indicative to me that knowing this, Eric willingly contributes the lines in bold and a killer solo. 

“I was standing on the leading edge

The Eastern seaboard spread before my eyes

“Jump” said Yoko Ono

“I’m too scared and too good looking” I cried

“Go on,” she says

“Why don’t you give it a try?

Why prolong the agony

All men must die”

……..

Did you understand the music, Yoko

Or was it all in vain?

The bitch said something mystical……So I stepped back on the curb again,”

We’ll never see eye-to-eye on Yoko. We don’t need too. I enjoyed those years and read with interest all the stories surrounding John and her at the time.

I can see her effect on John as a muse….And there are many songs he wrote for her. I take that as a positive.

Just wish she hadn’t clung so hard to John’s coat-tails seemingly insisting on an equal billing, something that she didn’t merit in my opinion. …….And in the process buggaring up otherwise wonderful events.

Each to his/her own. 

There are many artists who WERE influenced by Yoko Ono, such as the B-52s and Sonic Youth. And fans of those bands don’t give a crap about Eric Clapton and think he is a dinosaur who hasn’t made a good album in years.

15 March 2019
2.22pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Also, I don’t really care what Roger Waters has to say. Not my favorite member of Pink Floyd.

15 March 2019
2.39pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members

Billy Rhythm said

the video “in the first post” is incomplete…  I believe that ‘Cold Turkey ‘ is the last song…:-)

Ahh, too bad. Expert Textpert said

that’s one way of looking at it…

Expert Textpert said
Must have been edited by a revisionist Yoko hater.

or, it very likely was edited by someone who shoulders absolutely no hatred towards Yoko Ono but simply just can’t stand the sound of her shrieking on this album…:-)

15 March 2019
2.49pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

In that case, they could press the stop button when she comes on. I think it DOES show hatred.

15 March 2019
2.51pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759

Expert Textpert said
In that case, they could press the stop button when she comes on. I think it DOES show hatred.

I agree. If you asked me for the tracklist of With The Beatles , I’d give you the whole thing. I wouldn’t leave out Little Child just because I didn’t like it. 

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Expert Textpert

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

15 March 2019
3.04pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members

Expert Textpert said

or, the poster thought that the bandwith could be put to better use…  “hatred” towards the sounds perhaps, but not towards Yoko Ono personally…  you seem to blur the two too often, in my opinion…  on the link that you provided, the poster’s video doesn’t give Paul McCartney writing credit on ‘Give Peace A Chance ‘, does this make them a Paul “hater” as well?  I think not, for they credit ‘Yer Blues ‘ as Lennon/McCartney…  does the author of the edited version black out the screen everytime that Yoko appears?…:-)

15 March 2019
3.08pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Well, first of all, Yoko co-wrote Give Peace A Chance , not Paul. So, most likely, Yoko haters would be more inclined to like the song with the false Paul credit.

As the video stands now, it just serves to make Yoko look bad–which is probably another reason they edited it in such a way. If you read the comments below the video, you see people saying things like “Why is that bitch even there? She needs a lyric sheet just so she can sit in a bag at John’s feet?”

15 March 2019
3.31pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members

Expert Textpert said

As the video stands now, it just serves to make Yoko look bad–which is probably another reason they edited it in such a way. If you read the comments below the video, you see people saying things like “Why is that bitch even there? She needs a lyric sheet just so she can sit in a bag at John’s feet?”

I learned long ago to steer clear of the cesspool comments section…  is it the person who posted the video saying these things?  I would think that if their intention was to father such abusive talk that they would’ve happily included the last part of the show…  they likely spared us from further insults with the edit…  such inexcusable chatter would never be tolerated on here so there’s no need to shine any spotlight on cockroaches, for there are none here…  that is a good question, however…  just exactly why does she need a lyric sheet?  I’m guessing that it’s the same reason she “needs” a keyboard during the ‘Live In New York City ” version of ‘Imagine ‘…  don’t expect you to believe this, but I’m no “Yoko Hater”…  just don’t like what I’m hearing…  she sounds good on ‘The Luck of The Irish’ (probably my favourite track on ‘Some Time In New York City ‘) or, on ‘Happy Xmas (War Is Over)’ but that’s about it for me, other than a handful of her later dance tracks…:-)

15 March 2019
3.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

I’ll just point out that crediting Give Peace A Chance  as Lennon rather than Lennon/McCartney hasn’t been uncommon. The credit on 1986’s Live In New York City , 1997’s Lennon Legend and the 2003 DVD version, and the 2006 documentary The U.S. vs. John Lennon  and it’s accompanying soundtrack was Lennon and not Lennon/McCartney. While on 2014’s Icon it was credited as John Lennon /Yoko Ono.

It seems the song’s writing credits have become somewhat fluid.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Expert Textpert

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 March 2019
4.02pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Billy Rhythm said

Expert Textpert said

I learned long ago to steer clear of the cesspool comments section…  is it the person who posted the video saying these things?  I would think that if their intention was to father such abusive talk that they would’ve happily included the last part of the show…  they likely spared us from further insults with the edit…  such inexcusable chatter would never be tolerated on here so there’s no need to shine any spotlight on cockroaches, for there are none here…  that is a good question, however…  just exactly why does she need a lyric sheet?  I’m guessing that it’s the same reason she “needs” a keyboard during the ‘Live In New York City ” version of ‘Imagine ‘…  don’t expect you to believe this, but I’m no “Yoko Hater”…  just don’t like what I’m hearing…  she sounds good on ‘The Luck of The Irish’ (probably my favourite track on ‘Some Time In New York City ‘) or, on ‘Happy Xmas (War Is Over)’ but that’s about it for me, other than a handful of her later dance tracks…:-)

I disagree with the thrust of what you’re saying. I think she looks much worse just being on the stage for no reason, which is what the people who are seeing the video think. They don’t know she had her own set. And no, the person who edited the video is not the one who made the comment.

Personally, I think many people would love to see the Yoko set and it’s unfair that they are being deprived because of the hate.

Seeing John and Eric creating the feedback during the Yoko set made me realize they were basically creating the noise rock genre. We have Yoko to thank for that. Bands of today can look back on Yoko as an influence. Whether some jaded Beatles fan recognizes Yoko’s importance is of no matter to me.

15 March 2019
4.59pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members

Expert Textpert said I think she looks much worse just being on the stage for no reason

and…  the “reason” for the lyric sheet…  is?…

Expert Textpert said

Seeing John and Eric creating the feedback during the Yoko set made me realize they were basically creating the noise rock genre. We have Yoko to thank for that. Bands of today can look back on Yoko as an influence. Whether some jaded Beatles fan recognizes Yoko’s importance is of no matter to me.

thing is, I don’t see much opposition here to your claim that certain artists consider her “as an influence”…  last time I looked I didn’t really notice “the noise rock genre” exactly burning up the charts, I mean, when did it ever?…  the unlistenable shrieking found on Side Two of this record is an opinion that you obviously don’t share, and that’s all cool and I’m glad that someone genuinely finds some listening pleasure in it…  you keep on touting the “John and Eric creating the feedback” as some sort of redirect from the horrid sounding vocals coming from Yoko…  the feedback, at times, is every bit as unlistenable and resembles more of a auditory torture device than any Sonic Youth song I’ve ever heard…  if it’s so great, why not include ‘Don’t Worry Kyoko (Mummy’s Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow)’ in your Yoko Playlist?  I mean, shouldn’t it be the first outta the gate?  I’d say that you were smart to “edit” it from your attempt to turn naysayers onto Yoko…  too bad we don’t have the stats but it could very well be the track that most never make it past the first two minutes ever…:-)

The following people thank Billy Rhythm for this post:

Wigwam
15 March 2019
5.11pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

I’ll add Kyoko to my list. I actually think it’s a great song.

As for the lyric sheet, who knows what the piece of paper actually was. Probably the set list.

15 March 2019
5.33pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members

Expert Textpert said
I’ll add Kyoko to my list. I actually think it’s a great song.

not sure if “song” applies here, but that’s another discussion…  your loyalty to Yoko’s legacy is admirable…  for what it’s worth, John would’ve been proud…  I wish that I could share in the experience that you claim it to be, but I just can’t stomach it and for that I’m not going to apologize…  I know what it’s like to take on unpopular stances on certain matters and calling this one “a great song” would definitely fall into this category…  it’s hard to hear but there’s booing throughout Side Two of the ‘Live Peace In Toronto ‘ album, and I believe that this was the reaction John & Yoko were gunning for…  they were bent on dismantling the Beatle John myth (a necessary undertaking, in my opinion) and to great effect…  many likely left this show really believing that “The Dream Is Over”, long before John sang it publicly…  John rages through his entire career up to this point in time throughout Side One before the reality check on the flip…  this is what The Beatle experience had become for him…  complete utter chaos before declaring 1970 “Year One”…:-)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694