Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
35 years - 8th December 2015
8 December 2015
5.03pm
Rex Marigold
Left Coast USA
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I was 16 and had been a huge Beatles and Lennon fan since about 12. I was preparing to leave for school and listening to radio, when they broke the news of the assassination. I was just numb, and wouldn’t talk about it with my friends who knew how big a Beatles fan I was – I must have been afraid of breaking down.

Now I’m much older than John Lennon ever got to be. I would have loved to hear what kind of music his comeback produced.

Going to listen to his solo career today. Currently playing Plastic Ono Band – so stripped down, so devastating.

The following people thank Rex Marigold for this post:

Beatlebug, KaleidoscopeMusic, ewe2, Expert Textpert, natureaker

...and in the end, the love you make is equal to the love you take.

8 December 2015
5.22pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

^ our new member’s avatar is throwing me off with it being similar to the one @Expert Textpert is using now. I was just about to question ExTex’s memory on his dates. There was no way he (ExTex) could have been 16 in 1980. I was 12 years old when those fateful shots rang out. However, I had no clue who John Lennon was at that stage of my life.

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum, @Rex Marigold. I’m glad you’ve joined the BB forum. I hope you become a regular poster here.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug
8 December 2015
5.52pm
KaleidoscopeMusic
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 481

John,

I haven’t listened to your (and the other three, can’t forget about them) music for very long. Since mid-August, I suppose, I finally came to an understanding of the fervent obsession everyone has for you (and your music, can’t forget about that). You’ve taken me on an adventure in these 4 months what most fans experienced over a decade or more. Your music has taken me through the many fazes of life and I feel as if I’ve grown up right along with you and everyone else. Sometimes, however, the vicarious experience saddens me.

I often feel as if I don’t know much about the world, and that the big picture of life is daunting. It’s also embarrassing to even pretend I can identify or look up to a musician who I never knew personally and had a cruel streak–but the person behind all the songs is what helps me fall in love with the music. Your music has showed me how multifaceted the world is–scary and wonderful at the same time how the most horrific of feelings can be made into a beautiful song. I know that I am a different person through my music; better than the “reality.” I haven’t changed in the way I sing: still a bit too loud and forever a soprano, but you taught me how to be a mocker. You’ve shown me that there is so much more than the intelligence of realizing what those notes on a piece of paper mean. It’s humbling to hear the layered talent it takes to play by ear. You’ve yet to teach me how to be better at that and sarcasm. Both are an art. They actually say that sarcastic people tend to be creative. (No, I don’t know who.)

The way I think about music now is different because of you. I haven’t even played much of your music on the piano. I can’t even reach many of your manly notes. Yet I still feel the need to listen and to sing along. Now when I craft my own melodies, I always consider what you’ve done with dissonance. I also consider what you would do in today’s world. I’m even afraid you wouldn’t like me, which is ridiculously petty. (Of course you would. ;))

The last 4 months seem like a long dream of which I haven’t woken up and probably will never wake from. I might be doing other things: working, learning, playing other music and singing other songs, but all I ever think about is your music. Just today, I was complimenting your ballad with Yoko and complaining about the vending machine and it turns out about 50 people laughed at me because I was talking so loudly with my headphones in and everyone had gone quiet.

Thank you for filling up so much life in the spare one which you were given. I’m so sorry you didn’t have longer. When “Strawberry Fields Forever ” came on today, I swear I smelled something fruity. I am suspicious of signs, but it was a pleasant experience. 

Thank you most of all for your music. It makes me realize that I am more than just a speck in the universe. I am a dreamer because I hope that my own music can fill up others some day.

Much love,

More than a fan, but less than a friend

P.S. I love you. 🙂

The following people thank KaleidoscopeMusic for this post:

Expert Textpert, Beatlebug, limitlessundyinglove, BeatleSnut

Only music can save us.

8 December 2015
5.54pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

Welcome, Rex.

I was 10 and I don’t remember a thing about it.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

10 December 2015
4.05pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181

Rex Marigold said
I was 16 and had been a huge Beatles and Lennon fan since about 12. I was preparing to leave for school and listening to radio, when they broke the news of the assassination. I was just numb, and wouldn’t talk about it with my friends who knew how big a Beatles fan I was – I must have been afraid of breaking down.

Now I’m much older than John Lennon ever got to be. I would have loved to hear what kind of music his comeback produced.

Going to listen to his solo career today. Currently playing Plastic Ono Band – so stripped down, so devastating.

@Rex Marigold https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..u-react/ 

@Ahhh Girl

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

10 December 2015
4.10pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

Rex, you are more than welcome to copy your thoughts above and put them into a post in the thread SG linked to.

14 December 2015
6.21pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

We’re not long out of the 14th where I am, and in some places it still is, 35 years ago the world stood silent…

http://ultimateclassicrock.com…..ent-vigil/

I do sometimes wonder what John’s murder, and more so the response to it, would have been like had we had rolling news and the internet at the time…

What would this site have looked like if it existed 35 years ago?

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 December 2015
6.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Expert Textpert, KaleidoscopeMusic, Ahhh Girl, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 December 2015
2.46pm
KaleidoscopeMusic
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 481

Amazing video, @Ron Nasty. The effect on his idealistic thinking is evident in this video and how ahead of its time he was. That video is such a good piece of history.

Only music can save us.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691