Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Weird things happening with the forum
13 May 2018
8.50pm
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2421sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s good to know that at least the mods haven’t purposefully locked them (thanks for not being sneakyjohn-lennon-salute_gif). I became quite suspicious when I saw no announcement or anything whatsoever even hinting at locking any threads, so I hope this is just some weird glitch/mistake in the system that can be fixed.

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

14 May 2018
1.03am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Ron Nasty said
Nice to have a mod be honest, @Ahhh Girl. Didn’t you get the mod email AG refers to, @meanmistermustard?  

Yes, I got the email. It said threads would start to be locked but Joe would be mindful of which were locked so not to upset anyone. Having been on this forum for 8 years and gotten to know him and how temperamental the forum can be, I like to think Joe would stick to that and something has gone wrong in the process. Additionally, 300+ threads have been locked and it may be that you can lock threads in various multiple ways – I don’t know how it works or how Joe has done it.

So, I can come on here kicking, screaming and throwing a tantrum about how unfair, deceitful and treacherous this all is or I can wait for Joe to come on and explain what’s going on. I choose the second and will do every time. 

As for saying I was basically lying to everyone on here throws my very character into question and we’ve been here before – I got those emails too.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 May 2018
1.31am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953
2423sp_Permalink sp_Print

WeepingAtlasCedars said

I became quite suspicious when I saw no announcement or anything whatsoever even hinting at locking any threads

Perhaps you missed this thread  https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..her-now/  with the word ‘Announcement’ in the title…  Read the bolded text about halfway through Joe’s first post and his intention is pretty clear…  Should you read through the thread you’ll find that this has all ready been thoroughly discussed back in March and forum members were invited to participate (which was a mistake, in my opinion)…  There’s nothing sinister going on here…  just Spring Cleaning…:-)

14 May 2018
4.21am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2424sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wouldn’t say you were lying, @meanmistermustard, just that you were extremely economical about what you knew.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 May 2018
5.05am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2425sp_Permalink sp_Print

Billy Rhythm said

WeepingAtlasCedars said

I became quite suspicious when I saw no announcement or anything whatsoever even hinting at locking any threads

Perhaps you missed this thread  https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..her-now/  with the word ‘Announcement’ in the title…  Read the bolded text about halfway through Joe’s first post and his intention is pretty clear…  Should you read through the thread you’ll find that this has all ready been thoroughly discussed back in March and forum members were invited to participate (which was a mistake, in my opinion)…  There’s nothing sinister going on here…  just Spring Cleaning…:-)  

And if you read this post in that thread, @Billy Rhythm, Joe said existing threads would remain “fully open”, and that he would give “fair warning” of further changes. So over half of the threads suddenly being locked is a surprise, and even the mods seem surprised that among them are threads that they were led to believe were not to be locked.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 May 2018
5.12am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2426sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
I wouldn’t say you were lying, @meanmistermustard, just that you were extremely economical about what you knew.  

You said it was nice to have a mod being honest implying I was not which is totally untrue. Nice to see the backtracking has started already.

Threads are going to be locked, everyone should be aware of that. That was decided, due notice has been given and the process has started. The issue is that a small handful of threads out of 300+ (I think) are locked that shouldn’t be. It’s not that big a deal and the matter will be revolved in some way when Joe returns.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 May 2018
5.25am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2427sp_Permalink sp_Print

mccartney-shrug_01_gif Maybe I should have used the word “frank” or “open” instead of “honest”. AG’s explanation of what is happening was just far clearer, in my opinion, and explained the situation better.

Beatlebug

14 May 2018
8.57am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238
2428sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, now that I think about it : “The rest of the forum will remain fully open.” meant the other sections besides ATN . Those sections will remain open so that new threads can be created.

This will all get worked out. We’re ok.

14 May 2018
9.06am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2429sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s not the way most of us understood that statement, @Ahhh Girl. Most of us understood Joe to be talking about the ATN forum, not The Songs forum, or The Albums forum, etc. Still, I suppose it is the job of the mods to defend Joe’s words, even if it involves rewriting the meaning nearly everyone took from them at the time!

Peace & Love.

14 May 2018
9.25am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
2430sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
“The rest of the forum will remain fully open.” meant the other sections besides ATN . Those sections will remain open so that new threads can be created.

This is how I took it as well…  The thread had deteriorated to such a point by then that he appeared to be trying to move on as scheduled…

Ron Nasty said
That’s not the way most of us understood that statement, @Ahhh Girl. Most of us understood Joe to be talking about the ATN forum, not The Songs forum, or The Albums forum, etc. Still, I suppose it is the job of the mods to defend Joe’s words, even if it involves rewriting the meaning nearly everyone took from them at the time!

Speak for yourself…:-)

The following people thank Billy Rhythm for this post:

Little Piggy Dragonguy
14 May 2018
9.37am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2431sp_Permalink sp_Print

Billy Rhythm said

Ahhh Girl said
“The rest of the forum will remain fully open.” meant the other sections besides ATN . Those sections will remain open so that new threads can be created.

This is how I took it as well…  The thread had deteriorated to such a point by then that he appeared to be trying to move on as scheduled…

Ron Nasty said

Speak for yourself…:-)  

Except, as recent comments in this thread by others show, @Billy Rhythm,  many more understood it the way I did than the way you did.

I don’t pretend to speak for everyone, but yours (apart from mods) is the only voice to be raised so far that sees it the way you did.

So, speak for yourself…:)

Peace & Love.

14 May 2018
9.37am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2432sp_Permalink sp_Print

It was in another “paragraph” so that’s why I think he was meaning the other sections of the forum.

14 May 2018
9.47am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2433sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
It was in another “paragraph” so that’s why I think he was meaning the other sections of the forum.  

And the paragraph before it, @Ahhh Girl, was about the stopping of the creation of new threads in the ATN forum, and the paragraph after was about how existing threads in the ATN forum provided plenty of places to discuss off-topic subjects.

14 May 2018
9.50am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
2434sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

Except, as recent comments in this thread by others show, @Billy Rhythm,  many more understood it the way I did than the way you did.

I don’t pretend to speak for everyone, but yours (apart from mods) is the only voice to be raised so far that sees it the way you did.

How about the vast majority of members here who aren’t even commenting here at all?  They all “understood it the way I (you) did” as well?  Perhaps they are getting a little sick and tired of this little soap opera that should’ve ended long ago…  You are chastising Joe & the mods for being nice enough to inform us in advance of their intentions, and being even nicer by inviting the community’s input…  Not even going to comment on the fabricated “I don’t pretend to speak for everyone” and mine “is the only voice to be raised so far” sentence, but thanks for brightening my morning coffee with a little chuckle…:-)

14 May 2018
9.55am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2435sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe I’m wrong. I’ll let him sort it out for us.

14 May 2018
10.05am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2436sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

This will all get worked out. We’re ok.  

Absolutely. I checked my email this morning for the first time in a few days and saw the one @meanmistermustard and @Ahhh Girl mentioned. The email was initially about a link to spam in the signature of someone who hasn’t logged in for quite some time. Once that was easily resolved, @Joe  mentioned some other things he was testing (some automated) in regard to site optimization (age of threads, how many times the thread is accessed, etc…). We haven’t heard from Joe since this latest locking occurred (the man has a life, after all) but my guess is that something was being tested and some desirable threads were caught in the proverbial net. He warned us that things may look wonky.

I will join my fellow mods in waiting to hear from Joe and do everything I can to help resolve the issue.

Thanks everyone.

apple01heart

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Beatlebug, SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

14 May 2018
10.36am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

Just my two cents.

Joe is a Bowie fan! I don’t see why he would lock that one and leave other music threads like the Prince thread open. It’s probably a forum glitch. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

14 May 2018
11.03am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Should also be noted he has a plans for a Bowie site in mind though. May want people to go there to talk Dave than let them talk Dave here. a-hard-days-night-george-10

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

14 May 2018
12.05pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2439sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Should also be noted he has a plans for a Bowie site in mind though. May want people to go there to talk Dave than let them talk Dave here. a-hard-days-night-george-10  

If you are suggesting that Joe has deliberately locked the Bowie thread so folk with go there then a) the site doesn’t exist yet and b) Joe currently has zero intention of having a forum there.

From the very beginning the plan has always been that there will be certain threads left open in ATN , many others locked, and all other sub-forums untouched. That was, is and remains the sole intention. What some are getting annoyed about and why there are claims of conspiracies and underhand actions is beyond me. 

I’m also not sure why one action, which is yet to be determined was by accident or deliberate, has caused all this. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug

14 May 2018
12.19pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2440sp_Permalink sp_Print

George is winking, @meanmistermustard! It’s clearly a joke!

Beatlebug

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694