Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Live In Japan 1992
23 December 2015
10.20pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This was a joint tour with Eric Clapton and they shared a fantastic backing band with the likes of Andy Fairweather Low, Nathan East, Ray Cooper, and backing singer legends Tessa Niles and Katie Kissoon (just their credits alone makes me envious). George picked out a few of his favourites over his career and had fun with a few of them, notably adding verses to Taxman and a wild solo spot by Clapton. I’ve only seen four videos from that tour on his DVD compilation Dark Horse Years, but I’ll have to get the full DVD because he’s in magnificent form here. For once just having the audio cds isn’t the whole picture, you need to see how good George and the band are, he makes it look so easy.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

trcanberra, Beatlebug, Into the Sky with Diamonds, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

24 December 2015
11.35am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

ewe2 said
This was a joint tour with Eric Clapton and they shared a fantastic backing band with the likes of Andy Fairweather Low, Nathan East, Ray Cooper, and backing singer legends Tessa Niles and Katie Kissoon (just their credits alone makes me envious). George picked out a few of his favourites over his career and had fun with a few of them, notably adding verses to Taxman and a wild solo spot by Clapton. I’ve only seen four videos from that tour on his DVD compilation Dark Horse Years, but I’ll have to get the full DVD because he’s in magnificent form here. For once just having the audio cds isn’t the whole picture, you need to see how good George and the band are, he makes it look so easy.

Sadly there is no official DVD released of the 1992 concerts and Dhani said there probably never will be because of how the cameras filmed or something like that- I’ll have to hunt through the Fiendish Thingys thread to find it.

However there are fan edits- from amateur footage taken by fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..ak7hFxY0_M

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

ewe2

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

24 December 2015
4.55pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

Oh so the ones I’ve seen on ebay must be bootlegs 🙁 That means the only “official” ones are on the Dark Horse Years DVD, and sadly there’s only four of them: Taxman , Cheer Down, Devil’s Radio, and Cloud 9.

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

25 December 2015
7.26am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1980

Hard to believe that in 1992 this wasn’t officially filmed. A true, true shame.

The following people thank Into the Sky with Diamonds for this post:

all things must pass

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

3 June 2019
10.02pm
all things must pass
Decca
Members
Forum Posts: 94

Like almost all songs of this live more than studio versions!

3 June 2019
11.03pm
all things must pass
Decca
Members
Forum Posts: 94

All Things Must Pass said
Like almost all songs of this live more than studio versions!

21 December 2020
1.11am
Mr_Kites_Cat
Southeastern PA, USA
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 9

A fabulous album and quite underrated, with “psycho guitar” Clapton in fine form and the band tight. I especially enjoy the added guitar passages on I Want To Tell You , If I Needed Someone , While My Guitar Gently Weeps , and Something , plus Dark Horse with a proper vocal: hoarse no more. Sadly, there doesn’t seem to be a complete professional video for this tour. The existing clips include the four mentioned above, plus a beautiful Give me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth), found on the Living in the Material World CD/DVD reissue and the Apple Years box set.

What happened to the rest of the footage, and why it is not available for viewing, I’m unsure. It’s particularly a pity since there’s limited documentation of George on stage post-Beatles, aside from Concert for Bangladesh. For anyone who may be interested, a few members of the Japan ensemble were also in the Concert for George mega-band: along with (of course) Clapton, guitarist Andy Fairweather Low, backing vocalists Tessa Niles and Katie Kissoon, and Ray Cooper on congas, tambourines, and bells were in on both gigs. Also, Steve Ferrone was the Clapton band’s drummer on the Japan tour–by the time of Concert for George, Ferrone had joined Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

~Om Shanti.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Ahhh Girl, Timothy
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22235, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694