Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Best of Dark Horse 1976-89
10 June 2021
12.08am
Mr_Kites_Cat
Southeastern PA, USA
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thought I’d add a topic for this long out of print compilation of George’s post-Apple work, which covers from 33 and 1/3 to Cloud 9. Not easy to find a (cheap) copy if you didn’t get one way back, but worth it for major fans to get the tracks Poor Little Girl and Cockamamie Business, which are unavailable elsewhere. Cheer Down, from the Lethal Weapon 2 soundtrack, was eventually remastered on the “Let it Roll: Songs by George Harrison ” comp but the other non-album cuts remain unavailable. Poor Little Girl, the album opener, is especially strong, and I’m hoping this will open up discussion space for it and the other tracks exclusive to the compilation.

I still give the CD a spin every Now And Then –I inherited it from my dad’s collection and for the longest time, it was the only later solo George we could get. I have great memories of hearing Blow Away, Life Itself, Got My Mind Set on You, Here Comes the Moon, Love Comes to Everyone, and others. I’m so glad we had it during the time the Dark Horse albums were out of print and through George’s passing… It may just be the album/CD that made me a serious George fan!

~Om Shanti.

10 June 2021
1.15pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

I prefer ‘Cockamamie Business’ to ‘Poor Little Girl’ due to the biting, clever and funny lyrics in the former, I also dislike the production by Jeff Lynne on ‘PLG’. The ripped-off ‘ELT’ timpini drum crashes which Lynne also used on Orbison’s ‘You Got It’ are particularly annoying as are the backing vocals.

It was never an album I played much but I was a young teenager when I had the cassette to play and was not ready for much of George’s catalogue.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 June 2021
9.26am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629

Mr_Kites_Cat said
Not easy to find a (cheap) copy if you didn’t get one way back, but worth it for major fans to get the tracks Poor Little Girl and Cockamamie Business, which are unavailable elsewhere.

You must mean the record because I got the CD for like $10 on Ebay in mint condition just months ago.

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Ahhh Girl
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22222, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694