Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
George Harrison (1979 Album)
21 February 2010
7.09am
mjb
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 519
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you love George's songwriting and his special voice then do check out his 1979 album simply called “George Harrison “. This is my latest revisit and the album has such beautiful melodic songs on it.

It includes his remake of Not Guilty (much more subtle than the Beatles version), Love Comes To Everyone (with intro guitar by Eric Clapton), the divine single off the album – Blow Away and also a song that would be in my top 5 George solo songs – Faster (which is a tribute to George's love of Formula 1 racing). There is also a wonderful love song to Olivia – My Dark Sweet Lady and a song called Here Comes The Moon!

Wikipedia is for full details Wink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G…..on_(album)

The following people thank mjb for this post:

all things must pass

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"

21 February 2010
6.23pm
Sun Queen
Find me in my field of grass
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 397

I got this album from the library quite a while ago.. it's quite good!

I'm quite fond of the Here Comes the Moon demo as opposed to the studio/final version of the song. Blow Away is great, isn't it? I also like Love Comes to Everyone- his voice on that one! And Soft-Hearted Hana, hee hee. The rebel in me likes that one. 😉

But overall a great album! Give it a go!

The following people thank Sun Queen for this post:

all things must pass

Tongue, lose thy light. Moon, take thy flight… see ya, George!

4 August 2014
12.05am
Oudis
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1491

Wow, “George Harrison ” –I still remember when I bought it, I was seventeen and bought the LP (no CDs at that time), which I still have. My three favorite songs: Blow Away (a vaccine against the blues), Not Guilty (you’re right, way better than the Beatles version) and Soft-Hearted Hanna (beautiful melody, great lyrics). Cheers,

Oudis.

The following people thank Oudis for this post:

Beatlebug, all things must pass

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit” (“Perhaps one day it will be a pleasure to look back on even this”; Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 1, line 203, where Aeneas says this to his men after the shipwreck that put them on the shores of Africa)

4 August 2014
12.39am
Inner Light
Friar Park
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 531

Excellent album. One of my favorites. The Hawaiian Islands inspired a lot of the songs and feel of this album. I have always been surprised at how many fans pass on this one. Everyone always goes with the same thing: ‘All Things Must Pass ‘ and ‘Cloud Nine ‘ Both of those are great albums but this one just has a certain special laid back feel on it. This was also a very happy time for George.

The following people thank Inner Light for this post:

The further one travels, the less one knows

4 August 2014
10.00am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064

Yes – nice album – always had a soft spot for Faster and Blow Away is a nice hummable tune.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

4 August 2014
2.00pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Great album (dont get me started on how criminally underrated George’s solo catalogue is). Favourites are ‘Here Comes The Moon’, ‘Blow Away’ and ‘Dark Sweet Lady’ but i dont think there is one song i dont like on it. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

all things must pass, all things must pass

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 November 2015
7.19am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181

Love this album, it might be my second favourite after ATMP (but I haven’t listened to either of them extensively, so I don’t know how well they’ll wear. I’ll get back in a year or so and see what I think then). 

Anyway, I came here to say I really like Faster, Soft-Hearted Hana, Dark Sweet Lady, and Your Love Is Forever. Not to mention blow Away, of course, cause you know… me and Blow Away. 

No need to wonder why
His wife held back her fears
So few have even tried
To realize their dreams.

Good words. Though the line ‘he’s a master at going faster’ seems a wee bit forced… ahdn_paul_01

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

8 November 2015
7.49am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

‘Faster’ sounds very forced when I hear it now. There is something about that doesn’t sit right.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 November 2015
8.21am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

Probably one of his most even albums for me. I love the production on it, that warm close feel on many tracks (Not Guilty , Your Love Is Forever, Here Comes The Moon) enhances the intent of the music. You could blame this album for being a bit “too 70’s”, but I actually like that, albums like this are time-capsules. Willie Weeks was given his head on this, the bass is outstanding, but everything is terrific.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

9 November 2015
3.33pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

meanmistermustard said
‘Faster’ sounds very forced when I hear it now. There is something about that doesn’t sit right.

Glad it’s not just me. I really like this album, but that song does nothing for me.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

17 September 2016
9.57am
Beatlebug

Moderators

sir walter raleigh said elsewhere
I’ve been listening to George Harrison  a lot latey. I hadn’t given it enough attention on earlier listens.   

I’ve loved it ever since I first heard it, which is pretty unusual for me. Most of George’s albums took me a couple listens. ahdn_george_06 

My favourite has to be a tie between ‘Soft Hearted Hana’, ‘Blow Away’, and ‘Your Love Is Forever’. But really all of the songs are nice. I’m particularly fond of ‘the Olivia trio’ on side 2 (‘Dark Sweet Lady’, ‘Your Love Is Forever’, and ‘Soft Touch’). 

One thing I must note: On the lyrics printed in the inner sleeve, the line in ‘Soft Touch’ is printed as ‘As a warm son rises’. I always thought it was ‘sun’, but this lends itself to a different interpretation… *cough* Dhani? ahdn_paul_02

Little Girl *LOVES* ‘Faster’, I amn’t so keen on it (ignore what I said above, now I find I’ve changed my mind). 

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

all things must pass

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

17 September 2016
10.00am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777

My favorite off the album is Not Guilty . That is what led me to listen to it, after hearing the Beatles demos. I love the song, and its fun to play on guitar too @Beatlebug 

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

17 September 2016
11.46am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629

My favorite is “Blow Away”!

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

18 September 2016
9.44pm
limitlessundyinglove
At the local Bird and Bee
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 347

My favorite from this album is Dark Sweet Lady!  Such a romantic song, and that harp is heavenly.a-hard-days-night-john-1

No, wait, er,a-hard-days-night-ringo-12Faster is my favorite, since it’s inspirational to me (I’m a runner, okay?)

No, no, Here Comes The Moon is my favorite!  So pretty and calm, just like the moon.

Ack!paul-mccartneyNo!  Blow Away is my favorite.  It never fails to cheer me up!

You know what, screw it, they’re all my favorite!a-hard-days-night-george-9

The following people thank limitlessundyinglove for this post:

William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug, all things must pass

Grooving some cookie spaghetti since 1968.

20 September 2016
8.41am
Beatlebug

Moderators

Silly Girl posted a year ago
Love this album, it might be my second favourite after ATMP (but I haven’t listened to either of them extensively, so I don’t know how well they’ll wear. I’ll get back in a year or so and see what I think then). 

I think Brainwashed is my favourite, followed closely by ATMP , but this one is a close third! Gone Troppo is nice too — a continuation of the mood of this album, though the songs aren’t quite as solid. (*Pretends Somewhere Lost In Egglund doesn’t exist*) 

William Shears Campbell said
My favorite is “Blow Away”!  

That has always been a favourite of mine; I think I’ve sort of worn it out now, but it still makes me incredibly happy when I hear it. 

sir walter raleigh said
My favorite off the album is Not Guilty . That is what led me to listen to it, after hearing the Beatles demos. I love the song, and its fun to play on guitar too SG   

I prefer the Beatles treatment… it doesn’t really fit with the rest of this album. It’s supposed to be a passive-aggresive dig accentuated by an acrid riff, but in the intervening decade, he’d lost the original mood, and so he turned it into a mellow, dreamy mumble of a song. Disappointing. (Just my opinion and all that) 

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

20 September 2016
5.03pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629

@Beatlebug said

(*Pretends Somewhere Lost In Egglund doesn’t exist*) 

What do you have against Somewhere in England?

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

20 September 2016
8.21pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

I’ve become addicted to this album after posting in the thread a couple of days ago. Such a great album.

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug, limitlessundyinglove, WeepingAtlasCedars, SgtPeppersBulldog

23 September 2016
6.09am
castironshore
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 244

It’s kinda George going soft-rock but I really like it despite the rather flat production. Its easily his best since “living in the material world”. He sounds really happy and content.

my fave is “love comes to everyone”.

The following people thank castironshore for this post:

William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug, all things must pass
23 September 2016
7.19am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

sir walter raleigh said
I’ve become addicted to this album after posting in the thread a couple of days ago. Such a great album.  

It’s a fab background album, when I’m studying/cleaning/walking somewhere it’s a really nice one to listen to. Especially when you’re walking by the sea on a nice day, a lot of George music just has this perfect “atmosphere quality” to it that I can’t really describe whereas John’s, Paul’s or Ringo’s doesn’t.

And my favourite song off this album?

Probably in my top 3 of George songs:

That intro, man!

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

23 September 2016
7.44am
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

I never regret playing the album after it opens with Love Comes To Everyone. I really love that song. George never stopped coming up with great music. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars, all things must pass, SgtPeppersBulldog

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691