Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
George Harrison's Rocky 1961 Sonic Blue Fender Stratocaster
26 December 2016
12.43pm
HMBeatlesfan
Kalamazoo, Seussville, USA
Candlestick Park
Guests
Forum Posts: 1115
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This is my favorite guitar that George used. If you don’t know, in February of 1965, Mal Evans bought 2 1961 Sonic Blue Fender Stratocasters, one for John and George. This guitar was first used by George on the song Ticket To Ride , and is heard on the majority of Rubber Soul , Revolver , Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour , and The Beatles, being used for such songs as You’re Going To Lose That Girl , Drive My Car , Nowhere Man , Taxman , Strawberry Fields Forever , Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds , I Am The Walrus , All You Need Is Love , Hey Jude , and Happiness Is A Warm Gun , among others. During the Sgt. Pepper release party, George got his Strat painted in it’s now famous psychedelic finish, John also did this here to his J-160E (although some claim this was when Paul painted his Rickenbacker bass into it’s MMT finish, this is false, as he is seen recording With A Little Help From My Friends with this bass in it’s psychedelic finish). Sometime in 1969, George added to his original paint finish, most notable the added bepopalula writing on the body and a painting of Eric Clapton on the headstock. During his solo career, he had other Strats, but this was his first Strat and his estate still owns it to this day.

Image Enlarger

Here is George using Rocky during the Revolver sessions. I am unsure what song is being recorded or when this photo was taken, besides the spring of 1966, but I think that these photos were most likely taken on April 21st, 1966, while they recording the song Taxman .

03_big.jpgImage Enlarger

Here’s more footage. Note how John’s just sitting there, as he wasn’t present on the backing track, but since he recorded backing vocals for the song on this day, he was in the studio at the time.

Revolver+sessions.jpgImage Enlarger

Another reel. Note that Paul has his strap on which therefore means that he is playing bass on the track.

beatles-revolver-sessions-101.jpg?w=625Image Enlarger

Here’s a photo that is possibly from the same session, but also possibly from a different session.

strat.pngImage Enlarger

Let the photo speak for itself. It is unclear what session this was taken during, but my guess is If I Needed Someone .

d86265db896fb5877ed459053529a4e8.jpgImage Enlarger

Here they are on November 3rd, 1965 recording Michelle (mislabeled in the article as If I Needed Someone ). Notice that both George’s Strat and Tennessean are present at the session, which therefore means either guitar could have been used on the track to play the solo, although since I don’t think he used a capo for the lead part and the Strat has a capo on it, it’s my guess that he used the Gretsch for the lead.

All-You-Need-Is-Love-the-beatles-Our-World-Broadcast.jpgImage Enlarger

Here he is playing his newly finished Rocky Strat on the Our World broadcast for the song All You Need Is Love .

mmt-george.jpgImage Enlarger

Here’s a photo of him miming to I Am The Walrus using this guitar, as seen on the Magical Mystery Tour film. Note the lack of bebopalula and Eric Clapton’s head on the headstock.

012510browimage.jpgImage Enlarger

In this 1968 shot from The Beatles session (the page says Not Guilty , but since it’s documented that he used a Les Paul on that song, it’s safe to assume he’s playing a different song, possibly I’m So Tired ), he’s about to strum an A chord, although he oddly lacks a pick.

shapeimage_15.pngImage Enlarger

In this photo taken during the Let It Be sessions, you can see George bend a B note on the 4th fret of the G string.

image.jpgImage Enlarger

Here’s another photo from the Let It Be sessions, further proving that George’s finishing touches to Rocky weren’t implemented during January 1969.

IMG_0401.jpgImage Enlarger

Here’s George with Rocky live, something that only happened during his solo career.

dhaniharrison_5695.jpgImage Enlarger

This guitar is currently owned by his son Dhani as part of his estate.

rocky.pngImage Enlarger

It even makes a cameo in Let It Be .

imagine.pngImage Enlarger

Don’t be fooled, this is John’s Strat and therefore not Rocky.

I would love to see any additional Rocky photos, especially ones before the paint job, as the only photos of him playing Rocky before paint job were taken from behind.

The following people thank HMBeatlesfan for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, WeepingAtlasCedars, ewe2, pepperland, sir walter raleigh, Dark Overlord

Maybe you should try posting more.

28 December 2016
9.01pm
sgtpepper63
On a boat on a river with tangering trees and marmalade skies
Carnegie Hall
Guests
Forum Posts: 551

I don’t know who’s cuter, Rocky or Lucy. Anyways, great post HMBeatlesfan except for a minute detail, Rocky wasn’t his main guitar during The Beatles, it was Lucy.

30 December 2016
3.58pm
HMBeatlesfan
Kalamazoo, Seussville, USA
Candlestick Park
Guests
Forum Posts: 1115

If you read The Beatles As Musicians by Walter Everett, you will clearly see that Rocky was the main guitar during The Beatles sessions. Although he does say Tele instead of Strat, I know he meant Strat, as he didn’t have his Tele until December 1968.

Maybe you should try posting more.

23 May 2017
1.45am
Greig McArthur
Glasgow, Scotland
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 5

Glad to see Dhani now owns it. George Harrison would be happy I’m sure that it’s been kept in the family.

7 June 2017
4.00am
Flyingbrians
Robin Hood Country
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 363

I had a go with a Fender Classic Player 60s Strat in sonic blue recently at my local guitar store and it played beautifully. I’m assuming that it’s a replica of the same model used by the Beatles and others. 

I don’t have a strat but it’ll probably be the next guitar I get since it’s one of those guitars every player should own.

The following people thank Flyingbrians for this post:

Dark Overlord, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"And life flows on within you and without you" - George Harrison

7 June 2017
3.19pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470

I wonder what songs you tried out on it, I’d recommend Nowhere Man and the rhythm guitar part of Taxman , as they both use the Fender. Also, I doubt they specifically had The Beatles in mind when making that guitar, as George’s Fender is best known with it’s psychedelic finish as seen in I Am The Walrus and All You Need Is Love , as well as photos taken while they were recording Revolution , very briefly during Let It Be (during the scene where John and George are talking), and Tom Petty’s I Won’t Back Down music video.

If you don’t own a Strat, then what guitar or guitars do you own.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Beatlebug

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

8 June 2017
4.23am
Flyingbrians
Robin Hood Country
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 363

Dark Overlord said
I wonder what songs you tried out on it, I’d recommend Nowhere Man and the rhythm guitar part of Taxman , as they both use the Fender.

I tried out Nowhere Man in the store since it’s one of my favourite chord progressions to play. Aside from that I was just noodling.

Dark Overlord said
If you don’t own a Strat, then what guitar or guitars do you own.  

I own a Fender Classic Player Baja 60’s Telecaster (Sonic Blue) and a Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White). The guitar I mainly play is a Gretsch G5422TG Electromatic (Orange), which was released last year and plays beautifully. It’s my dads guitar though so that doesn’t really count. 

I’ll probably get a Strat for my next guitara-hard-days-night-george-10

What do guitars do you own @Dark Overlord? 

Telecaster: 

Image Enlarger

Les Paul Custom:

Image Enlarger

Gretsch Electromatic:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

The following people thank Flyingbrians for this post:

Dark Overlord, Beatlebug, sir walter raleigh, WeepingAtlasCedars

"And life flows on within you and without you" - George Harrison

8 June 2017
4.45am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members

A left handed 2004 Mexican Sunburst Fender Stratocaster and a left handed Epiphone acoustic who’s headstock is held in place using wood glue and the pickguard was removed. Also, a few guitars that I plan on getting rid of soon.

Since this thread is about pictures of George’s Rocky Fender, I thought I’d show you guys this picture.

012510browimage.jpgImage Enlarger

This was taken while George was recording Revolution .

Flyingbrians

8 June 2017
11.59am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789

Its kind of funny to see HMBeatles fan and SgtPepper63 talking to each other now that we know they are the same person. 

@Flyingbrians nice Tele! I’ve got a similar one that is a deeper shade of blue. Right now it is at the drummer of my band’s house so I can’t post a picture, but it looks like this one that James Taylor is playing. 

IMG_2617.JPGImage Enlarger

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Flyingbrians, WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

8 June 2017
12.14pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members

I’m personally more of a Strat person although it’s fun to use other guitars like Teles and Les Pauls.

29 September 2019
7.16am
lapelcelery
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 2

George Bangladesh StratImage Enlarger

The last photo in the original post refers to the blue Strat George played on John’s Imagine sessions as being John’s Stratocaster. This may well be the case, but I would love to hear a source for this because there is a bunch of other information surrounding this Strat. 

George and John both had sonic blue Strat’s in the Beatles, but Babiuk’s book calls them “identical”, which suggests that either this is not one of those, or the neck was later changed to a maple one (or Babiuk could be mistaken, and it’s an easy mistake to make). Still, either option could mean it is John’s guitar. 

Further, this guitar (which was used for slide on Imagine ) shares every physical detail except the finish colour with the Strat George used on Dick Cavett’s show (for slide) and then the Concert for Bangladesh in the couple of months after the Imagine sessions. INCLUDING THE STRAP.

I’ve covered this in more depth in an article on my blog at https://lapelcelery.wordpress……er-update/

By the time of the Cavett show (which was earlier than the Concert for Bangladesh), the Strat had been stripped to a hand-sanded finish by George personally (as related by George himself), and this was how it appeared at the Concert for Bangladesh (though it almost seems white under the stage lights closeups and the better-lit rehearsal footage shows it to be a natural, sanded finish, exactly as George says. 

bangladeshsand1Image Enlarger

sand2Image Enlarger

So it seems this guitar was either George’s or if not, perhaps gifted to him by John after the Imagine sessions. And subsequently used on the concert for Bangladesh, which is a fine pedigree for a guitar without even mentioning that George later gave it to Spike Milligan, who had it refinished in sunburst!

sand2Image Enlarger

The following people thank lapelcelery for this post:

Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, SgtPeppersBulldog
29 September 2019
10.36am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members

I never thought about that (I thought the Bangladesh Strat was whitepaul-mccartney-facepalm_gif).

Still, there are 2 things to consider:

1. Sonic Blue was a very rare color on Fender guitars

2. John already had a 2nd Strat that he used live during their final UK tour (and also possibly on Revolver ), so why would he need a 3rd one

My theory would be that after Rubber Soul , John’s Sonic Blue Strat was having neck issues (same thing happened with his Rickenbacker) so he bought a black one and put the blue one away for safekeeping. Then he gave the guitar another chance during the Sgt. Pepper sessions, where he likely used it on Good Morning, Good Morning, but it was still giving him trouble so he put it back again. Then finally, he decides to get a 50’s maple neck (possibly from Eric Clapton as he was building his frankenstrat Blackie at the time) and gives it to George, who recorded How Do You Sleep? with the guitar. Once those sessions were over, John let George keep the guitar, which he sanded and used at The Concert For Bangladesh.

lapelcelery

4 January 2020
6.58pm
lapelcelery
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Those are both excellent points. That seems like a perfectly plausible scenario. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694