Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
'The Beatles in India' documentary slated for Autumn 2018
1 February 2018
10.58am
Rachel
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 24
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just came across this. Looks very interesting and something that seems official!

The new feature film documentary The Beatles in India, diretced by two time Emmy award winning producer-director Paul Saltzman, is set to be released worldwide in Autumn 2018.

In 1968, with the eyes of the world upon them, The Beatles travelled to Rishikesh, India, to study Transcendental Meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in a remote ashram on the banks of the sacred river Ganges. Those few short weeks became one of the most prolific and creative periods of their lives.

Also present at the ashram was a young Canadian filmmaker named Paul Saltzman, there to heal a recently broken heart while seeking his own path to understanding and enlightenment. In the informal and relaxed atmosphere, he captured some of the most famous and intimate photographic portraits of The Beatles ever taken.

The film details Saltzman’s return journey to India, The Beatles stay and the songs they composed at the ashram as well as meditation as it applies to creativity, the divine inner journey and the healing power of love and music.

Integral to the story will be the background of many of the songs written in India and how they progressed through their initial writing, intensive rehearsals back in England and the release of the White Album on November 22nd, 1968.

Rarely seen footage and images, in depth interviews from India, the UK and North America and an authoritative team behind the film heralds its release later this year.

“The idea of a Beatles in India documentary has been with me since the mid-nineties,” said producer Reynold D’Silva. “By pure coincidence, or perhaps it was fate, three separate people put me in touch with Paul early last year. It turned out he had been harbouring the idea for even longer than I had! After our first phone call, we were set on a path to produce the film together. Paul has a stellar track record in his field of producing and directing films. He has a clear vision with a profound knowledge of the subject matter borne out by the fact he was at the ashram in Rishikesh with The Beatles in February, 1968.”

For more information, visit the official website here.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com…..se-autumn/

The following people thank Rachel for this post:

sir walter raleigh, SgtPeppersBulldog, Shamrock Womlbs, Father McKenzie, Bongo, Von Bontee, all things must pass
1 February 2018
12.52pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789

Very excited to see this video footage. Hopefully they get interviews from Paul, Ringo, Mike Love, Donovan, and others who were there at the time in movie. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, Rachel

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

1 February 2018
1.48pm
Father McKenzie
Liverpool England
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1544

Soooooooo excited to see this. Thanks for this @rachel paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

The following people thank Father McKenzie for this post:

Rachel

Still writing the words to the sermon that no one will hear......

1 February 2018
2.32pm
Rachel
Casbah Coffee Club
Members

Just realized the article says Autumn 2018 and not August. paul-mccartney If the mods can please fix it! Not sure how to do it on my own, hah. 

Father McKenzie
1 February 2018
2.39pm
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3973

sir walter raleigh said
Very excited to see this video footage. Hopefully they get interviews from Paul, Ringo, Mike Love, Donovan, and others who were there at the time in movie.   

Hopefully they don’t get interviews from Whoopi Goldberg, Bruce Willis, Van Damme, Jackie Chan or similar…

The following people thank Shamrock Womlbs for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Bongo

"I Need You by George Harrison"

1 February 2018
3.07pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Thread title amended, can’t alter the detail in the url.

Would be cool if Apple linked it in with a 50th deluxe anniversary release of the ‘White Album ‘ considering so many of the songs were written in India, they do have the May demos. I don’t mean include the film but they could highlight the links. Tho knowing Apple they’d probably stick a new horrendous album cover on with a pointless photo, highlighting the film producer over the Beatles and the actual album.

I’m going for 3.1 seconds of previously unseen footage of the Beatles in India in the bonus section of any DVD release along with a 3-hour extended interview with a racoon that may be the relative of a racoon that was in India at the time.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Rachel, The Hole Got Fixed, Bongo, Von Bontee

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 February 2018
4.01pm
Father McKenzie
Liverpool England
Candlestick Park
Members

@Rachel: hahaha. Nice to meet another Paul fan on here. I’m currently watching Give My Regards To Broad Street  a-hard-days-night-george-10

Rachel, Vera Chuckandave

1 February 2018
5.58pm
Rachel
Casbah Coffee Club
Members

Father McKenzie said
@Rachel: hahaha. Nice to meet another Paul fan on here. I’m currently watching Give My Regards To Broad Street  a-hard-days-night-george-10  

Same to you! I don’t think Paul can have enough fans. a-hard-days-night-john-6

Father McKenzie, Vera Chuckandave
1 February 2018
6.54pm
Father McKenzie
Liverpool England
Candlestick Park
Members

@Rachel: I agree! a-hard-days-night-paul-5

Rachel

2 February 2018
4.40am
Vera Chuckandave
The dude ranch, above the sea......
Decca
Members
Forum Posts: 91

Purely subjective here, but I often wonder if the songs on the White Album would have been of a consistently better quality had they not gone to India…

And my bird can't sing......!!

2 February 2018
1.25pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

Vera Chuckandave said
Purely subjective here, but I often wonder if the songs on the White Album would have been of a consistently better quality had they not gone to India…  

Surely would not be. John’s creative explosion on The White Album was a direct result of the lifestyle change he made while in Rishikesh. No more daily doses of Acid, considerably less drinking and smoking and loads of meditation. This was John’s best period in my opinion and spawned from his newfound relative sobriety. 

Vera Chuckandave, Father McKenzie

2 February 2018
4.08pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

There’s plenty of footage documenting ‘The Beatles in India’ available (and video editing software) where virtually anyone can piece together their own project that, in many cases, would outclass anything that Apple could muster up…  Here’s one of my favourites, although I don’t believe it’s from the Spring 1968 Rishikesh trip, where Ravi Shankar is giving George a sitar lesson down by the sea…  It looks more to be the Indian Ocean than the Ganges River:

The Black & White footage from Rishikesh is something I’m particularly fond of:

You all don’t need to wait for “Autumn 2018″…:-)

The following people thank Billy Rhythm for this post:

Father McKenzie, sir walter raleigh, all things must pass
2 February 2018
10.28pm
Father McKenzie
Liverpool England
Candlestick Park
Members

I signed up to thebeatles.com mailing list ages ago,so basically any new Beatles news gets sent to my email inbox,but yet, the first I heard about this was @rachel ‘s original post here.

Anyone know how regularly thebeatles.com site gets updated?

2 February 2018
11.08pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

This is NOT an official film. I repeat, this is NOT an official film.

If it was official, the site would be plastered with the Apple logo. There is not an Apple logo anywhere.

When it says in the press release:

“The idea of a Beatles in India documentary has been with me since the mid-nineties,” said producer Reynold D’Silva. “By pure coincidence, or perhaps it was fate, three people put me in touch with Paul early last year. It turned out he had been harbouring the idea for even longer than I had!”

The Paul in question is Saltzman not McCartney.

Saltzman took the iconic photographs of the group at Rishikesh, as well some film footage, and this film is being built around those photographs and the footage, along with Saltzman’s memories.

In that way, Yes, it is an official film. It is a telling of Paul Saltzman’s brush with The Beatles, put into a wider context, that Paul Saltzman has approved and cooperated with. In that way, it’s official.

But it is not Apple product. It is not official Beatles. There will be no interviews with Paul or Ringo.

This is as official as last year’s It Was Fifty Years Ago! The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper and Beyond. For all that’s lack of access to the music and the surviving Beatles, it wasn’t a bad documentary.

I doubt this, like that, will be like the cheap cash-ins available on a billion DVDs. There are some decent documentaries being made. This could well be one.

But it is not an official Apple approved product.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Father McKenzie, Rachel

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

3 February 2018
10.56am
Reklo87
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 181

I know quite a few people were not a big fan of the Eight Day’s a Week movie from the other year and I feel like others will not like this for the same reason.  That being, the fact that it is just a highlights video from the Anthology video series.  IMHO… I think having these new documentaries from different subjects give different directors a way to shine a new light on a smaller part of the their career that we can enjoy and watch in a few new setting.  For crying out loud, we haven’t even seen the Anthology on Blu-ray yet and its been 22 years.

All that said: I would love a little library of different movies on different parts of their career!  We are part way there!  Keep them coming!

The following people thank Reklo87 for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Rachel

"No Beatles collection is too big or age restricted!"

4 February 2018
9.13am
penny lane
Without music, life would be a mistake
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 160

sir walter raleigh said

Surely would not be. John’s creative explosion on The White Album was a direct result of the lifestyle change he made while in Rishikesh. No more daily doses of Acid, considerably less drinking and smoking and loads of meditation. This was John’s best period in my opinion and spawned from his newfound relative sobriety.   

It’s a subjective thing,  but I think there’s a drop in  quality for more than a few Lennon’s input on the White Album . I know he spent a lot of time in India writing songs but he admits himself a lot of them were a result of his misery  and inevitable disappointment.

He had wanted Yoko there, but that was a non starter. Looked forward to the frequent mail he received from her  and moving out of  the accommodation shared  with Cynthia.

I’m So Tired , Glass Onion , Yer Blues , Juia CSoBB don’t  match the quality of earlier work, or later work,  for me. Being fair I would also cull some of McCartney’ s input on the album too, but I know a lot of people love the  album as it stands 

Was there  daily acid pre India? On Sgt Pepper , I thought that happened just once in the studio by accident and they had to hide it from George Martin.

The following people thank penny lane for this post:

Vera Chuckandave

16497963321797195180776828195838.jpg

“I know, Jerry, that you are as human as the rest of us, if not more so." 

4 February 2018
2.19pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

Penny Lane said

sir walter raleigh said

It’s a subjective thing,  but I think there’s a drop in  quality for more than a few Lennon’s input on the White Album . I know he spent a lot of time in India writing songs but he admits himself a lot of them were a result of his misery  and inevitable disappointment.

He had wanted Yoko there, but that was a non starter. Looked forward to the frequent mail he received from her  and moving out of  the accommodation shared  with Cynthia.

I’m So Tired , Glass Onion , Yer Blues , Juia CSoBB don’t  match the quality of earlier work, or later work,  for me. Being fair I would also cull some of McCartney’ s input on the album too, but I know a lot of people love the  album as it stands 

Was there  daily acid pre India? On Sgt Pepper , I thought that happened just once in the studio by accident and they had to hide it from George Martin.

Totally is subjective. I love all of the songs you mentioned. I think I’m So Tired and Yer Blues are two of the best songs he ever wrote. 

I read about his LSD frequency first in @Joe’s article and then later in his book Riding So High. The sheer amount of acid John Lennon took was really astounding. 

penny lane, Vera Chuckandave

12 February 2018
3.03pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798

I thought this article contained a pretty good summary of the subject. ahdn_george_05

https://www.rollingstone.com/m…..=021218_12

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

16 February 2018
10.39pm
Pineapple Records
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 842

Thanks — It’s an okay article, though they kind of glossed over the juiciest part of the whole thing — John’s moral indignation against their Indian Swami host, the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The story I heard was that when he heard that he had slept with Mia Farrow, he and the other Beatles went to bang on his tent and demand an explanation. Later, John supposedly wrote “Sexy Sadie ” to commemorate him.

A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,

a coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news...

17 February 2018
8.17am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238

Penny Lane said

sir walter raleigh said

I don’t think they did acid daily pre-India. Right, @Joe or someone?

The incidence of LSD in the studio is on Joe’s article https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..s/drugs/5/

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694