Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Come Together: A Night for John Lennon's Words and Music (2001)
23 May 2022
7.42pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Come Together : A Night for John Lennon ‘s Words and Music is a 2001 television program tribute to John Lennon aired on both TNT and The WB (US Cable Channels).

Originally planned to celebrate Lennon’s accomplishments, the concert took place on October 2, 2001, at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, shortly after the September 11 attacks and exactly one week before the 61st anniversary of Lennon’s birth. It was dedicated to “New York City and its people” and presented as a fundraiser for the Robin Hood Foundation.

Well-known people performed John Lennon songs and spoke about him, including Yoko Ono, Yolanda Adams, Marc Anthony, Beck, Edie Falco, Nelly Furtado, James Gandolfini, Dustin Hoffman, Cyndi Lauper, Sean Lennon, Shelby Lynne, Dave Matthews, Moby, Shaggy, Alanis Morissette, Billy Preston, Lou Reed, Stone Temple Pilots and Rufus Wainwright. The program also features interview and performance clips of Lennon.

The program was hosted by Kevin Spacey, who also performed one of Lennon’s songs, “Mind Games “.

Performances
All songs were written and composed by Lennon, except where noted,

Imagine ” – Yolanda Adams and Billy Preston
In My Life ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Dave Matthews
Revolution ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Stone Temple Pilots
Dear Prudence ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Alanis Morissette
Across The Universe ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Moby, Sean Lennon and Rufus Wainwright
Strawberry Fields Forever ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Cyndi Lauper
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Marc Anthony
Mother ” – Shelby Lynne
Instant Karma !” – Nelly Furtado and Dave Stewart
Jealous Guy ” – Lou Reed
Nowhere Man ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Natalie Merchant
Mind Games ” – Kevin Spacey
Come Together ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Craig David
This Boy ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Sean Lennon, Rufus Wainwright and Robert Schwartzman
Julia ” (Lennon/McCartney) – Sean Lennon
Give Peace A Chance “/”Power To The People ” – Ensemble

SB: First listen to this since it was broadcast over 20 years ago. I thought Alanis was a standout. She has always sounded more like a witch to me than Stevie Nicks. Sean’s take on This Boy got to me as well. Most surprising was Kevin Spacey’s full-throated version of Mind Games . I remember how everyone felt in the weeks after 9/11 and he seemed to lift up the NY audience with John’s words (also amazing instrumentation).

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Rube, Richard, Timothy

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691