Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013) by Luca Perasi
27 September 2014
2.44pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members
Forum Posts: 54
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A couple of nice things for everybody…

First, a free .pdf update of the book will be released in 2015. Two main reasons:

1. A big thank to everyone who purchased the book and followed this project during these months :)
2. Paul is still putting out “new” songs. They could be really new (e.g.”Hope”, the two bonus on the NEW collectors edition) or be part of the Archive Collection (e.g. solo versions “4th of July”, “Let’s Love”, etc.) and at the moment a new edition of the volume is not planned. I don’t want that anyone misses anything. At some point during 2015 I will produce a free pdf. update with all the songs being released between October 2013 (the date of the first release of my book) and the moment of the issue of the pdf. Possibly, I’ll throw in a couple of “honorable mentions” as nice surprises.

I won’t add any songs not written by Paul. A volume two is in the works, and will complete this “Paul McCartney : Recording Sessions (1969-2013)” with everything that has been left out from volume one.

To get the update, simply send an e-mail to:
info@mccartney-recordings.com

CONDITION TO BE ELIGIBLE:
1. Have you bought the book? You’ll get the free .pdf.
2. Will you buy the book within 31.12.2014? You’ll get the free .pdf. In this case, please send the e-mail after having bought the book.

What to write:

Subject: Pdf Update
Body of the e-mail:
Name and Surname
Country
Purchase date

Please don’t add to your e-mail images or attachments or the system will be erasing them automatically.
You will receive the free .pdf update via e-mail, so please use an e-mail address that you check regularly, because I’ll reply to only your e-mail and not to other suggested addresses.
I don’t know WHEN the update will be released. All that I can say is that it will be released in 2015. It depends from Paul’s projects.
You will also be notified with a brief press release about the publication of the volume two, as soon as is ready:)

Second, on Amazon.com you can find a new reprint of the book, dating from last week. The volume has been dramatically improved as regards the layout, the correction of typos and errors and the addition of some new information here and there. A lot of work has been done from last July to make the book more appealing. Use the LookInside feature to take a look if you like.

Luca

The following people thank backseat for this post:

Joe

https://twitter.com/LucaPerasi

Italian translator of Paul McCartney's THE LYRICS, collaborator of MPL for The 7" Singles Box

27 September 2014
5.26pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Sounds great @backseat and who gives away a free pdf update on their book? That’s incredible. 

What will be in the second volume, with it be unreleased tracks, songs Paul has covered and Wings tracks that Paul didnt sign lead on? Cannot wait considering volume 1 is so good.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 September 2014
5.34pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

meanmistermustard said
Sounds great @backseat and who gives away a free pdf update on their book? That’s incredible. 

What will be in the second volume, with it be unreleased tracks, songs Paul has covered and Wings tracks that Paul didnt sign lead on? Cannot wait considering volume 1 is so good.

Thanks! But this is the only way to thank everyone and would be impossibile to chase Paul’s neverending output!

Roughly about volume two: it will include unreleased tracks, classical stuff, covers, Wings tracks that were not in the first volume, videogame soundtrack (“Music of the Spheres”) and something more. 

Italian translator of Paul McCartney's THE LYRICS, collaborator of MPL for The 7" Singles Box

27 September 2014
8.23pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Sounds fantastic and a great most-needed follow-up. Will be on the look out for v2.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

28 October 2014
10.27pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

New interview by Nancy Carr, posted on HeyDullblog.com. Quite lengthy, and many topics are discussed. I must admit Nancy’s questions were particularly brilliant.

http://www.heydullblog.com/pau…..ca-perasi/

Enjoy it!

Luca

16 November 2014
7.15pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

The book will be featured on Beatle Brunch Radio Thanksgiving Weekend. You can win a signed copy.

http://beatlebrunch.com/

25 November 2014
12.58pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Me and great bass player John Clayton at the Blue Note in Milan, 22/11/2014. He was one of the contributors of my book with his interview and I gifted him a copy of the volume. What a honor to meet him (and what a concert)!

JohnClayton-Luca-Perasi-22112014.JPGImage Enlarger

25 November 2014
1.47pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1980

A few months ago, I tried to buy the book in New York at a large bookstore (Barnes and Noble) and was told it wasn’t available in the US. Is it now available? The fact that you mention “Thanksgiving” gives me hope.

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

25 November 2014
2.25pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238

Into the Sky with Diamonds said

A few months ago, I tried to buy the book in New York at a large bookstore (Barnes and Noble) and was told it wasn’t available in the US. Is it now available? The fact that you mention “Thanksgiving” gives me hope.

I know you can get it from Amazon. I don’t see it on the B&N site.

25 November 2014
11.10pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Into the Sky with Diamonds said

From last June the book is available in the US too through Amazon.com

Link:

ie=UTF8&qid=1412255866&sr=1-1&keywords=paul+mccartney+recording+sessions+1969-2013

24 January 2015
12.08pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Finally, a hardcover edition of the book is available!

It’s a strictly limited edition (200 copies and it will not be reprinted, first 50 have already been sold), with flaps and graceful cream-color paper. It was premiered at the Beatles Day in Mons, Belgium, last October, where I met with extreme pleasure Mark Lewisohn, who had purchased the paperback one some time before, and delighted me saying it’s a brilliant book :) and I gifted him a copy.
The contents and the new internal layout mirror the last improved reprint released on October 1st, 2014 (the paperback one, which is currently available on all Amazon sites, including US).

It’s available only in Europe, here:

Paperback edition is always available, here (try the LookInside! feature to see the contents and the layout, that belong also to the hardcover):

ie=U&tag=viglink20252-20

Luca

Lewisohn-Mons.jpgImage Enlarger

26 January 2015
4.36pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694

Great pic! Mark’s a gent. Thanks for the info too.

I bought the paperback when it came out. What’s new in the hardcover version, and would you consider releasing future updates as ebooks? I can’t really justify another £20 if there are just minor changes.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

28 January 2015
6.03pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Joe said
Great pic! Mark’s a gent. Thanks for the info too.
I bought the paperback when it came out. What’s new in the hardcover version, and would you consider releasing future updates as ebooks? I can’t really justify another £20 if there are just minor changes.

Yes, Mark is great. I see your point. I won’t force anyone to re-buy the whole thing, and that’s why I’m offering the free pdf update. From my perspective it’s a big improvement, both in terms of layout and translation.

It’s a refined edition, and anyone who’s a lover of hardbound will be pleased. The contents are not so different, but I discovered many new things in the space one one year, and added new information. There’s some interesting details for Hope For The Future , and new interviews with Chris Spedding and Marty O’Donnell and couple of others. 

To have an idea, just try the LookInside! feature on Amazon.

Joe

28 January 2015
10.27pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694

Sorry, ignore me! I hadn’t seen your earlier post about the PDF update. I’ll send you an email as soon as I can dig out my Amazon order info. I bought it in November 2013, soon after it came out. Great book.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

22 February 2015
3.23pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

A nice interview with Kevin Courrier of Critics at Large.

Here:

http://www.criticsatlarge.ca/2…..-luca.html

Luca

18 March 2015
2.08pm
vectisfabber
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 130

I got Luca’s book for Christmas and have some observations:

1.  The content is amazing.  The research involved, and collation of relevant material from a myriad of sources is mind-boggling.  The amount of information here cannot be overstated.  Wonderful.  Other than being given access to all the studio recording documentation (other than that disclosed in the special edition books), it’s difficult to know how the content could have been more comprehensive.

2. This is the September 2013 update which, it says, has been comprehensively revised following the original English edition (which was translated from the original Italian edition).

My daughter’s MA is in translation, and we talked a lot about translation when she was writing her dissertation (which I proofread), so I know a bit about translating. And this isn’t a bad first stab at translating from the Italian, but it’s not good enough for a published work. For instance, the book consistently refers to a particular track being “in” a particular album, not “on” it. A single simple oversight, maybe, but when it is repeated tens of times…

And then you get a sentence like this: “Putting in music (Paul’s favourite means of communication) a kind of regression phenomenon – the track is inspired by a child’s first attempt to express itself – maybe McCartney was unconsciously bringing in front of the public eye his drama of orphan of his mother Mary and now of The Beatles?” I think I know what that sentence means, but I’m not 100% sure.  There aren’t many examples which are quite that bad, but it illustrates the fact that the book badly needed a rewrite by a native English speaker to clear that sort of thing out.

3. It uses a small font but has plenty of space on the page, meaning that it could have used a bigger, friendlier font. The first few pages – credits, titles, contents, introduction – shout “formatted non-professionally, possibly for print-on-demand self-publishing”. There’s nothing wrong with that but, if you don’t do it well (and it’s not done well here), it gives an impression of amateurism before you even get started.  The book is not friendly to the eyes.

4. The foreword by Tony Clark is a poem, and it is lamentable.

Even with its flaws this remains a very good book, but it could have been excellent and it is a shame that it isn’t.

The following people thank vectisfabber for this post:

Into the Sky with Diamonds
18 March 2015
2.10pm
vectisfabber
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 130

That looks horribly critical.  I hope it is clear that the points I make are intended to be constructive criticisms.

The following people thank vectisfabber for this post:

Ahhh Girl
20 March 2015
2.33am
DrBeatle
The Midwest via Boston
Candlestick Park
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 1595

Luca, any update on the pdf update? I got email confirmation from you (this is Drew, BTW) a while back but haven’t heard anything since. Cheers :)

"I know you, you know me; one thing I can tell you is you got to be free!"

Please Visit My Website, The Rock and Roll Chemist

Twitter: @rocknrollchem

Facebook: rnrchemist

12 June 2015
8.31am
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

DrBeatle said
Luca, any update on the pdf update? I got email confirmation from you (this is Drew, BTW) a while back but haven’t heard anything since. Cheers :)

Hi Drew and hi everybody, sorry for not being on the forum for so long.

The pdf update of Vol I. will be out around August. The Vol.II is progressing rapidly, and I really hope it could be out in late October.

On a side note, two more reviews of the book will be published this month: the first on Beatlefan and the second on the Beatles British Fan Club Magazine.

On another side note, the book has been recently mentioned in the bibliography of the book A IS FOR APPLE (which I highly recommend) and it will be mentioned also in the next book by Paul du Noyer, Conversations With McCartney that should be out in September. Du Noyer himself contacted me with compliments for the book and therefore decided to include it in the bibliography. What a honor.

Luca

Ahhh Girl, Bongo

11 December 2015
7.25am
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

For anyone interested, the book is finally available also on Amazon.ca:

ie=UTF8&qid=1445423502&sr=1-1&keywords=paul+mccartney+recording+sessions

Luca

Ahhh Girl

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694