Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013) by Luca Perasi
9 December 2013
3.45pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members
Forum Posts: 54
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Got my copy this morning. Will have to spend a bit of time exploring it properly, but it looks really interesting.

Thanks Joe. It would be quite a long walk trhough the book :) It’s been a hard work, but I obviously enjoyed doing it. I think Paul deserved a book dedicated to his songs with an historical approach.

Luca

https://twitter.com/LucaPerasi

Italian translator of Paul McCartney's THE LYRICS, collaborator of MPL for The 7" Singles Box

9 December 2013
4.49pm
DrBeatle
The Midwest via Boston
Candlestick Park
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 1595

According to tracking, I should have my copy sometime this week. Really looking forward to it!

"I know you, you know me; one thing I can tell you is you got to be free!"

Please Visit My Website, The Rock and Roll Chemist

Twitter: @rocknrollchem

Facebook: rnrchemist

18 December 2013
1.23pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

According to tracking, I should have my copy sometime this week. Really looking forward to it!

:) I know that you have received it :) Enjoy it!

Another little piece of information for you all: in the book you’ll find also which bass model Paul used during the various sessions, according to photos and interviews… From Rickenbacker to Hofner, from Yamaha to Fender Jazz, to double-bass… :)

Italian translator of Paul McCartney's THE LYRICS, collaborator of MPL for The 7" Singles Box

31 December 2013
10.42pm
Mr Bellamy
Near Edinburgh
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 427

I got this book for Christmas and I’m slowly making my way through it (currently on the London Town album). Very interesting and in-depth information. A few small grammatical error here and there (due to the book being translated from Italian) but overall I would thoroughly recommend it.  

"We can do what we want, we can live as we choose"

1 January 2014
12.18am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Completely in concordance. A very good book and well worth getting. Contains a whole lot of information that is new to me.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 January 2014
11.08pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080

My particular needs are eccentric: one of the important kinds of facts for me is the unusual and recondite.

I would thus be more willing to plunk down my money and spend my time reading this book if I knew beforehand that it contains, for example, answers to the following questions and/or the following information (with credible sources to back it up):

1) is there an African “thumb-piano” near the end of “Dear Friend”?  If so, who plays it?  If not, what is that instrument I hear that sounds so much like an African “thumb-piano”?

2) who plays the two clarinets in “Picasso’s Last Words”?  Who wrote the melodies they are playing?

3) Some sources describe the solo, which sounds like a kazoo, in the cover of “You’re Sixteen” (on Ringo’s solo album Ringo) as Paul playing a “mouth sax”.  What is a “mouth sax”?  Is it really just an ordinary kazoo?  Is it the same instrument Paul is playing in the solo to his song “When the Night”?

4) The guitars (acoustic and electric) on “Only One More Kiss” sound slightly out of tune.  Are they?  Did Paul do this on purpose? (It seems unlikely he would do this as an accidental mistake.)  In my opinion, the slightly out-of-tune sound actually is conducive to the mood of that particular song, so it would be cool to know that Paul did this intentionally.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

2 January 2014
1.25am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Funny Paper said
My particular needs are eccentric: one of the important kinds of facts for me is the unusual and recondite.

I would thus be more willing to plunk down my money and spend my time reading this book if I knew beforehand that it contains, for example, answers to the following questions and/or the following information (with credible sources to back it up):

1) is there an African “thumb-piano” near the end of “Dear Friend”?  If so, who plays it?  If not, what is that instrument I hear that sounds so much like an African “thumb-piano”?

2) who plays the two clarinets in “Picasso’s Last Words”?  Who wrote the melodies they are playing?

3) Some sources describe the solo, which sounds like a kazoo, in the cover of “You’re Sixteen” (on Ringo’s solo album Ringo) as Paul playing a “mouth sax”.  What is a “mouth sax”?  Is it really just an ordinary kazoo?  Is it the same instrument Paul is playing in the solo to his song “When the Night”?

4) The guitars (acoustic and electric) on “Only One More Kiss” sound slightly out of tune.  Are they?  Did Paul do this on purpose? (It seems unlikely he would do this as an accidental mistake.)  In my opinion, the slightly out-of-tune sound actually is conducive to the mood of that particular song, so it would be cool to know that Paul did this intentionally.

When i get to these points i’ll let you know the answers – I’m at the Ram /Red Rose Speedway inter junction at the moment. Maybe someone else who’s got up to those points will answer before. 

So far its pretty detailed about who did what with the source clearly credited when possible and where not possible its clearly stated as well. 

I’m not that far in but so far i’m finding it to be excellent, one i don’t want to put down.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 January 2014
12.11pm
Mr Bellamy
Near Edinburgh
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 427

Funny Paper said 

3) Some sources describe the solo, which sounds like a kazoo, in the cover of “You’re Sixteen” (on Ringo’s solo album Ringo) as Paul playing a “mouth sax”.  What is a “mouth sax”?  Is it really just an ordinary kazoo?  Is it the same instrument Paul is playing in the solo to his song “When the Night”?

4) The guitars (acoustic and electric) on “Only One More Kiss” sound slightly out of tune.  Are they?  Did Paul do this on purpose? (It seems unlikely he would do this as an accidental mistake.)  In my opinion, the slightly out-of-tune sound actually is conducive to the mood of that particular song, so it would be cool to know that Paul did this intentionally

Your first question about ‘Dear Friend’: There is no mention of an African ‘thumb-piano’ in the songs passage. However it does say Paul played piano using a ‘lament bass’ technique which may make it sound different.

There is no mention of a clarinet being played on ‘Picasso’s Last Words’. however there is a small mention about a bassoon being played. As for who played it, Tony Visconti arranged and conducted but an individual player is not named but the Beaux Arts Orchestra is credited for stings and horns. 

The book does not have an entry on the song ‘Your Sixteen’. As for the song ‘When The Night’ Paul is only credited to vocals, piano and bass.

Your final question about ‘One More Kiss’. It doesn’t say whether they are out of tune.

Hope this helps.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we choose"

2 January 2014
6.30pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Funny Paper said

Many thanks to megopop09 and meanmrmustard for enjoying the book. I did my best :)

To Funny Paper questions: maybe you don’t find every single answer to every single question that can arise but I’m sure the book is worth for someone like you (and me, of course) that likes unusual and recondite facts. The book has a lot of details on musicians: i.e. do you want to know exactly who were the musicians of the Campbeltown Pipe Band on Mull Of Kintyre ? Here, for the first time you have their names. Do you want to know “who played what” from the Black Dyke Mills Band on LOVE AWAKE? You’ll find the answer. The book reveals many curious facts: i.e. What Paul does scream at a certain point during GET ON THE RIGHT THING and why? You have it.

I also pointed out errors and bad notes where it was possible (i.e. the opening of MY LOVE) and all this kind of funny things 🙂 

The book has got nearly 900 footnotes, ’cause the aim is mainly an historical approach rather than critical.

Luca

2 January 2014
7.34pm
DrBeatle
The Midwest via Boston
Candlestick Park
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 1595

I’m about 100 pages into the book so far and I have to say, it’s great. I’ve learned quite a lot of new stuff and also enjoyed reading more detail behind a lot of the songs. Well done, Luca! :)

"I know you, you know me; one thing I can tell you is you got to be free!"

Please Visit My Website, The Rock and Roll Chemist

Twitter: @rocknrollchem

Facebook: rnrchemist

2 January 2014
8.39pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

You really did do a fantastic job Luca. The book is deservedly doing very well.

2 January 2014
9.24pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Really I wish to thank everyone here that is supporting and enjoying the book.

:)

Luca

3 January 2014
7.19pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

Thanks for your reply, Luca.  Your book does sound interesting, and perhaps I am being perfectionistic in my needs.

To megopop09: 

Thanks for your response.

Your first question about ‘Dear Friend’: There is no mention of an African ‘thumb-piano’ in the songs passage. However it does say Paul played piano using a ‘lament bass’ technique which may make it sound different.

The African thumb-piano moment is very short.  The only other instrument it could possibly be, I suppose, is a violin played pizzicato plucking style.

There is no mention of a clarinet being played on ‘Picasso’s Last Words’.

That’s unfortunate, as there is clearly at least one, if not two clarinets there, featured prominently, and twice.

however there is a small mention about a bassoon being played.

Now that I think of it, there is one little flourish I always thought was a bass clarinet, but it is probably a bassoon — which is even cooler for a pop musician to use.

As for who played it, Tony Visconti arranged and conducted but an individual player is not named but the Beaux Arts Orchestra is credited for stings and horns. 

I always heard that Denny Laine could play clarinet — so I assumed it was him; or it was the same guy who plays saxophone on “Jet ” and “Bluebird”– which the Discogs website seems to say is Howie Casey.  Then there’s the related question of who is playing the extended Benny-Goodmanesque clarinet fills in the long climax to “Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five”.

As for the song ‘When The Night’ Paul is only credited to vocals, piano and bass.

Well, that’s an oversight, as there is clearly a long solo of a kazoo (or two kazoos).

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

4 January 2014
11.15am
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Funny Paper said
Thanks for your reply, Luca.  Your book does sound interesting, and perhaps I am being perfectionistic in my needs.

To megopop09: 

Thanks for your response.

The African thumb-piano moment is very short.  The only other instrument it could possibly be, I suppose, is a violin played pizzicato plucking style.

There is no mention of a clarinet being played on ‘Picasso’s Last Words’.

That’s unfortunate, as there is clearly at least one, if not two clarinets there, featured prominently, and twice.

however there is a small mention about a bassoon being played.

Now that I think of it, there is one little flourish I always thought was a bass clarinet, but it is probably a bassoon — which is even cooler for a pop musician to use.

As for who played it, Tony Visconti arranged and conducted but an individual player is not named but the Beaux Arts Orchestra is credited for stings and horns. 

I always heard that Denny Laine could play clarinet — so I assumed it was him; or it was the same guy who plays saxophone on “Jet ” and “Bluebird”– which the Discogs website seems to say is Howie Casey.  Then there’s the related question of who is playing the extended Benny-Goodmanesque clarinet fills in the long climax to “Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five”.

As for the song ‘When The Night’ Paul is only credited to vocals, piano and bass.

Well, that’s an oversight, as there is clearly a long solo of a kazoo (or two kazoos).

There’s a lot of hidden things in McCartney’s records. Engineer Tony Clark did not mention African-thum piano during our interviews, I’ll try to investigate with him if he recalls something about it. Some musicians credits are taken from the official sources, trying to integrate them with any other information I had through my interviews and other sources. A couple of nice things that you can find in the book are, for example: Ray Cooper playing percussion and a “duck-call” (you can hear it in the reggae section) in Live And Let Die or some details on how they achieved the effect of the smack of a kiss on LISTEN TO WHAT THE MAN SAID. This kind of things :)

http://www.mccartney-recordings.com

4 January 2014
8.17pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

backseat, that’s cool that you got to interview Tony Clark — is that the same Tony that Paul mentions at the beginning of Mumbo — “Take it, Tony!”  ?

4 January 2014
11.08pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Funny Paper said
backseat, that’s cool that you got to interview Tony Clark — is that the same Tony that Paul mentions at the beginning of Mumbo — “Take it, Tony!”  ?

Exactly. Tony and I had several conversations last year about his experience in the studio with Paul and he wrote the introduction to the book. We met in London last year and we’re currently in touch.

21 January 2014
11.08pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Funny Paper said

Btw, what’s the source for this African “thumb-piano”? I’ll try to investigate.

21 January 2014
11.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Backseat, are there any plans to add in outtakes like Tragedy, Cage, Robbers Ball etc, maybe as a pdf file we can pay to download instead of having to buy the book again? Would be great to have such an addition to the book. 

I’m currently up to the Red Rose Speedway medley entries and loving every entry. It’s fantastic finally having a book that goes into Paul’s recordings one by one and in some depth. Definitely a must read.

22 January 2014
11.42am
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

meanmistermustard said
Backseat, are there any plans to add in outtakes like Tragedy, Cage, Robbers Ball etc, maybe as a pdf file we can pay to download instead of having to buy the book again? Would be great to have such an addition to the book. 

I’m currently up to the Red Rose Speedway medley entries and loving every entry. It’s fantastic finally having a book that goes into Paul’s recordings one by one and in some depth. Definitely a must read.

Thank you very much. I’m glad it’s worth the reading! Thinking about something for the “extra-tracks”. Certainly should find a different option for the publishing than a pdf. file. It could be cracked in a snap these days!:)

22 January 2014
12.12pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

backseat said

meanmistermustard said

Thank you very much. I’m glad it’s worth the reading! Thinking about something for the “extra-tracks”. Certainly should find a different option for the publishing than a pdf. file. It could be cracked in a snap these days!:)

Well as long as i don’t need to buy the whole book again for an extra chapter or two i’m happy.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694