I recently got contacted by the publishers of a forthcoming book about Help !. They're crowdfunding it and I said I'd help spread the word. Please do the same if you're able.
It's a partnership with the photo agency Rex Features, which has access to director Richard Lester's private collection, plus various sets of images taken by people on the film set (over 1,000, I'm told).
It's being curated by Simon Wells, who previously wrote the Beatles 365 Days book, and the (excellent) Rolling Stones Great Drugs Bust among others. He's a good writer who knows his stuff.
Here's the blurb from the Pledge Music website:
Help ! – director Richard Lester’s groundbreaking Beatles’ film turns 50 this year. To mark the anniversary, archive restoration specialists, Archivum Publishing, have delved deep into the archives of London photo agency Rex Features, discovering a treasure trove of rare and previously unseen photographs from the filming of The Beatles classic second movie of 1965.
Each photograph in the publication, “Eight Arms To Hold You – The Forgotten Archives” is currently being painstakingly restored and remastered by renowned artist, Paul Skellett. The publication also features expert narration, commentary and insights into the music and the movie by acclaimed Beatles author, Simon Wells (author of "The Beatles: 365 Days”).
Archivum Publishing are known for their lateral thinking in archives, and this allows them to find content overlooked by other publishers. Rex Features hold a great collection of files relating to The Beatles, and this in turn, opened the door to a number of extremely rare and previously unused images from the making of Help !
“Eight Arms To Hold You” is the definitive guide to Help !, from London to The Bahamas, via The Alps and Stonehenge.
Exclusively via PledgeMusic, Archivum Publishing will be collaborating directly with you, the fans, on a special Fan Edition of “Eight Arms To Hold You, The Forgotten Archives”, making you part of the history of this very special limited edition of only 965 books.
First Edition Hardback – LP size – 250+ photographic pages featuring fully restored colour and black and white photographs – Signed and numbered – Presented in a unique art slipcase
We are offering you the chance to be part of this unique publication. Do you remember the first time you saw the film “Help ” or heard the album? What did the music and film mean to you? Do you have a photo of any of the members of the band, or of you and your friends at locations shown in the film, or perhaps even you and your friends dressed as The Beatles in the film?
Maybe there a ticket stubs, album or other mementos you’ve kept to this day?
Share your “Help ” memories and mementos with us here for a chance to have them featured in the fan edition of the book and gain an immortal credit in this fan edition. See more details herehttp://www.pledgemusic.com/pro.....ates/47598.
Included in the First Edition is:
- The Fan Edition of the book in a unique presentation slip case.
- Each book is signed by the curators, artists and authors of the book
- Three restored and remastered museum archive grade rare prints featuring the Fab Four, signed by the curator and artist of the book.
- An old-school screen printed 4 fold double sided poster celebrating the book
- Your name on the credits page and a further page byline credit if your memento gets featured exclusively in the fans edition
Those who order the 965 first edition copies of the fan edition exclusively here will also have their names put forward to win a prestigious hand finished bass guitar given to this limited fan’s edition by the world famous Hofner Guitar company.
Further pledges available
- 10 hand noted author editions of the Fan Edition release with individual thoughts and notes from the curator, authors and artist.
- A set of 7 restored and remastered art prints from the book encased in a special edition archive box. Each print numbered and signed by the artist and book curator.
- A Q&A event with the book’s curator and publishing team, including an intimate acoustic set by a well known Beatles tribute act (50 spaces) to be hosted in Liverpool.
- A chance to attend the art of the book exhibition in London with the curator, artist and publishing team at a well known gallery, including an intimate full set of Beatles favourites played by a well known Beatles tribute act (50 spaces)
- A chance to attend the art of the book exhibition with the curator, artist and publishing team in Liverpool at the legendary Cavern Club, including an intimate full set of Beatles favourites played by a well known Beatles house tribute act, including an overnight stay in the area (50 spaces).
29 November 2012
20 August 2013
This book has finally been published. https://parade.com/617169/russ.....-new-book/
Can buy Joe love! Amazon | iTunes
Check here for "how do I do this" guide to the forum. (2017) (2018)