18 April 2013
18 March 2013
8 September 2014
21 October 2014
Every year there’s like a little book fair in the town and I always go and buy a book, this time I bought a bilingual one with In His Own Write and A Spaniard in the Works. Here it’s a bit difficult to find Beatles merchandise (
my aunt Santa Claus told me it was difficult to find a Beatles t-shirt) so finding both of them it’s like finding the Holy Grail.
They also had a comic book that, literally, it would be “The Beatles’ Little Book” or something like that, but my mum told me it costed like 35 dollars (I don’t really believe it was that expensive, but, who knows). I saw some pages and it seems very good, I just hope it’s a bit cheaper and the Three Wise Men will give it to me the 6th of January (it’s a celebration we have in Spanish countries, it’s like Christmas, but with the Three Wise Men who come in camels).
"We think George Harrison is the most marvelous thing since boys were discovered." - Diane and Jenny of Bedford, the smartest girls ever.
27 October 2013
Some of my current faves:
That Magic Feeling, the Beatles recorded legacy vol1-Winn
Way Beyond Compare,the Beatles recorded legacy vol2-Winn
The Beatles Live!, Lewisohn
The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, Lewisohn
Tune in, All These Years vol 1-Lewisohn
The Beatles on Parlophone-Spizer
The Beatles on Vee-Jay-Spizer
The Beatles on Swan Song-Spizer
The Beatles on Apple-Spizer
The Beatles on Capitol (vol 1 and 2)-Spizer
The Beatles solo on Apple-Spizer
John Lennon , the Life-Norman
The Beatles Biography-Spitz
The Beatles, Hunter Davies
The Beatle Anthology
Perry Cox price guide
I have dozens more, I can’t even seem to part with the ones I don’t like….
Prob my all time favorite: The Beatles Forever, Schaffner
8 November 2012
18 April 2013
Someone just gave me a copy of Robert Rosen’s Nowhere Man signed by the author.
The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:Ahhh Girl
"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney
5 February 2014
Just finished Ivor Davis’ book ‘The Beatles and Me On Tour’ (Christmas present). Quick read at about 300 pages, but it was fun. Another perspective. An English reporter living in Hollywood before their arrival in 1964 and then getting assigned to their tour entourage. He took over ghosting Harrison’s Daily Express column from Derek Taylor during the tour. Not a fact or trivia book, just a guy telling his memories.
Well… nothing else on the shelf, so it’s back into Lewisohn’s book… for the 4th time.
1 May 2011
I’ve just received ‘You Never Give Me Your Money : The Battle for the Soul of The Beatles’ in the post, and downloaded the 2014 ebook update of ‘The Unreleased Beatles’ thru iTunes. On their way in the post are the 2006 edition of ‘The Unreleased Beatles’, i couldn’t just have a computerised version of it, and ‘Starting Over: The Making of John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Double Fantasy ‘ on the basis of @mjb and @Joe recommendation of it (it was going ridiculously cheap). If i don’t like the latter i’m emailing them for my money back.
"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)
@meanmistermustard They’re all great books, you’ll enjoy them. Could you please let us know about the 2014 updates for the Unreleased Beatles, when you’ve had a chance to evaluate?
1 May 2011
18 May 2011
Hello, I’m from Bogotá (Colombia), and i think this is my first post (maybe i wrote something some month/years ago). I’m gonna start with my list of batlebooks (some of them are in spanish so i’m gonna name it in that lenguage because there’s no an original english edition):
– John & Yoko, a New Yoirk love story – Alla Tannenbaum
– The Beatles: On Camera, Off Guard 1963-?69 – Mark Hayward (spanish)
– The Beatles Revealed – Hugh Fielder & Paul du Noyer
– The Beatles Anthology (english)
– The Beatles Anthology (spanish)
– The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions – Mark Lewisohn
– The Complete Beatles Chronicle – Mark Lewisohn
– All These Years Vol 1 Tune In -Mark Lewisohn
– All These Years Vol 1 Tune In (Extended Edition) -Mark Lewisohn
– Way Beyond Compare, The Beatles Recorded Legacy Vol 1 – John C. Winn
– That Magic Feeling, The Beatles Recorded Legacy Vol 2 – John C. Winn
– The Beatles, 10 years that shook the world – MOJO
– The Unreleased Beatles – RichieUnterberger
– The Beatles Backstage and behind the Scenes (CBS Photo Archive) – Bill Eppridge
– All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release – Philippe Margotin & Jean-Michel Guesdon (spanish)
– The John Lennon Letters – Hunter Davies (english)
– The John Lennon Letters – Hunter Davies (spanish)
– A Hard Day’s Write – Steve Turner
– The Beatles Off The Record
– The Beatles in Hamburg – Spencer Leigh
– The Ultimate Beatles Quiz Book – Michael Hockinson
– The Beatlend – Sergio Marchi y Fernando Blanco (spanish)
– You Never Give Me Your Money – Peter Doggett
– Here, There And Everywhere : My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles – Geoff Emerick (spanish)
– The Act You’ve Known for All These Years: A Year in the Life of Sgt. Pepper and Friends – Clinton Heylin
– The Beatles A Diary – Barry Miles (english)
– The Beatles A Diary – Barry Miles (spanish)
– ¡Locos por Ellos!Los Beatles en el cine – Ramon Robert (spanish)
– The Beatles Vs The Rolling Stones – Jim DeRogatis & Greg Kot
– The Beatles Paperback Writer – 40 years of classic writing – Edited by Mike Evans
– The Lives of John Lennon – Albert Goldman (english)
– The Lives of John Lennon – Albert Goldman (spanish)
– John Lennon – Philip Norman (spanish)
– Lennon in América – Geofrey Giuliano
– The Ballad Of John And Yoko – The Editors of Rolling Stone (spanish)
– John Lennon (Composers) – Michael White (spanish)
– Nowhere Man – Robert Rosen (spanish)
– Lennon Remembers (Jann Wenner)
– El Mundo según Lennon – Gustavo Gómez (spanish)
– John Lennon – Jordi Sierra (spanish)
– John – Cynthia Lennon (spanish)
20 August 2013
@BARRETT1982, nice collection. I see you’ve been a member for a long time, but I would like to formally wecome you anyway.
The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:BARRETT1982
Can buy Joe love! Amazon | iTunes
Check here for "how do I do this" guide to the forum. (2017) (2018)
8 January 2015
Getting a used copy of a book I used to have, Thank U Very Much which is a fantastic memoir by Mike McCartney. Recently finished Here There And Everywhere by Geoff Emerick and currently ploughing through The Beatles As Musicians. I used to have The Love You Make by Peter Brown (paperback fell apart and I don’t miss it), and I have Ian MacDonald’s Revolution In The Head and Peter Doggetts You Never Give Me Your Money (best Beatles book in years). I have plans to acquire the Hunter Davies book on the Beatles lyrics and a book called Paul McCartney – Bassmaster which looks fun.
I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe. This has been true for 2016 & 2017 but I may have to get more specific in the future.
18 May 2011
The following people thank BARRETT1982 for this post:Ahhh Girl, parlance
10 February 2013
I recently read Ivor Davis’ “The Beatles and Me on Tour” as well and enjoyed it. One of the little details I thought was kinda fun is that he included the name of every hotel on the tours. Touring was really different in those days – lots of times the places they stayed were those relatively small motor inns out by the airports, not the upscale 4-5 star hotels that top caliber bands stay at today. Pretty depressing places, actually. One of the old motels in the Midwest (Milwaukee, I think) is now used as a university dorm.
Next up for me is Dennis Alstrand’s “The Beatles and their Revolutionary Bass Player,” which oddly enough is about Ringo (okay, not really ).
9 January 2015
sorry, haven’t readed all the post in the topic, they are too much! i have my books upstairs so i will mention only the ones i remember at the moment. wich, i suppose, are the best, between them.
many years from now
postcard from the boys
i think it’s forbidden not to get these!
most are unuseful, repeating all the same old stories…some others infamous (albert goldman’s) others very important: lewinsohn’s recording session is a must (8 anni a Abbey Road in italian)…beatles solo-bob woffinden, maybe the first look in the post 70…ringo starr: straight man or joker?, the only drummer’s biography…still the greatest, a deep investigation in the solo years…the beatles off the record, keith badman,: lost or less known interviews…the beatles after the break up, badman: a day by day recognition until 2000…While My Guitar Gently Weeps , simon leng: maybe the best about George (i’m waiting to read Mystical one)
9 January 2015
uh…i forgot Unterberger’s Beatles unreleased, another must.
meanwhile i readed the ringo starr encyclopedia by bill harry. it lasts til 10 years ago so misses much things but is alphabetically ordered and exhaustive. and wrote by an insider and friend
i’m reading now You Never Give Me Your Money , a valid look in the post 70, maybe the best. very accurate
1 May 2011
1 May 2011
@Joe, i haven’t went thru and matched entries up or had a right deep down analysis so no idea about corrections (if ever needed) but the updated ‘Unreleased Beatles’ includes proper updates and not a few notes and additions here and there that look like they were done in 20 minutes one Sunday afternoon whilst bored and nothing else to do.
Examples are that the ’66 Memphis Cherry Bomb concert is now covered as is RM20 of ‘Revolution 1 ‘ and the 2013 released BBC, studio and demo tracks are noted and commented on if required. It also covers the solo 1970 outtakes that have since surfaced on various releases (Paul’s ‘Archive Collection’–, John’s ‘Signature Box’).
I’ll use the paper copy far more often than the ebook as i only have an ipod which makes it more of a pain flicking thru but in my opinion the update is well worth having, especially as its only £6 + so many pence.