Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
15 April 2020
2.18pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12181sp_Permalink sp_Print

Getting my daily As I Call You Down fix whilst I sit outside, half in the sun and half in the shade, planning my academic future. Fistful of Mercy is harmonizing even more beautifully than usual with the birds as well as themselves and helping me retain my accustomed state of sunshine and unfussedness doing this assignment. heart

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

15 April 2020
3.22pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
12182sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

QuarryMan

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

15 April 2020
3.26pm
Vera Chuck and Dave
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 598
12183sp_Permalink sp_Print

Eye by Robyn Hitchcock

15 April 2020
4.09pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
12184sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue and Sentimental – Ike Quebec with Grant Green on guitar

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Von Bontee

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

15 April 2020
4.11pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members
12185sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said

how many times in a row did you listen to the lead single? It was Brian Wilson’s favorite song, and he was totally obsessed with it. Legend has it he would spend the entire day lying on the floor smoking cigarettes listening to the Be My Baby ’45 on repeat. ALL DAY LONG. This was in his depressive state. Spooky.

Beatlebug, Von Bontee, Jules

15 April 2020
5.35pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
12186sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8I can understand that, to be honest. It’s a magical song.

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Beatlebug, Von Bontee, Jules

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

15 April 2020
6.01pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members
12187sp_Permalink sp_Print

eh, Its not a place that most people have been mentally. the story goes his friend checked in on him in the morning, and in the evening he had not moved, and was putting his cigs out all over the rug. its a great song but I have a horror movie like association with it. I intentionally did not listen to it until I got my hands on the ‘45 so I could hear it like Brian Heard it. I definitely hyped it up too much, and wasn’t nearly as enthralled with that selection as Brian’s other favorite album, The Four Freshman and Five Trombones, which I still own and listen to a lot. 

QuarryMan, Beatlebug, Jules

15 April 2020
8.13pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members
12188sp_Permalink sp_Print

Van Morrison – Astral Weeks

15 April 2020
8.23pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008
12189sp_Permalink sp_Print

Black Light Burns – Cruel Melody. 

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

15 April 2020
10.04pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690
12190sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said
how many times in a row did you listen to the lead single? It was Brian Wilson’s favorite song, and he was totally obsessed with it. Legend has it he would spend the entire day lying on the floor smoking cigarettes listening to the Be My Baby ’45 on repeat. ALL DAY LONG. This was in his depressive state. Spooky.

Usually the soundtrack to the life of a person with depression is a very introspective matter. In most books and films it seems to be portrayed that the individuals that struggle with mental illness and anxiety listen to sad music. That is a very basic concept, this person is sad, therefore, he listens to sad music.

Most people I know that have shared their struggles with me and also their listening habits tent to turn out quite random. It is a very personal thing. Sometimes the music or the lyrics don’t have anything to do with their state of mind at all, they just relate to the song because it signified a moment on their life. One of my friends used to have issues with his mother going through a really dark experience, and he used to listen to (I’m serious) the Beatles’ Rock And Roll Music all day long. This was a trap-listener, Travis Scott fan, with an edge for emo stuff like Marilyn Manson and heavy metal. One would expect him to listen to that stuff when having personal problems. But his mother had shown him Rock And Roll Music to him when he was a child. It was like he was trying to grasp a moment of happyness he thought lost. And he didn’t even realize it. He noticed it years later when he finally told me. At the time he thought he just liked the song because of the melody.

On the other hand, one of my closest friends used to listen to Neutral Milk Hotel and Mount Eerie in dark times in his life. And that could easily be called “depressive music”. It is totally possible as well to be sad and listen to sad music. On the other hand, a girlfriend of mine used to listen mostly to EDM and house music and she was a very troubled person as well. So again, anything goes.

I haven’t had strong depressive moments in my life, luckily. But when I do have moments of insecurity and fear, I tent to gravitate to Tracy Chapman. Particularly songs like Give Me One Reason to Stay Here or Talking ‘Bout a Revolution . Nothing about those songs says “anguish”. It is neither happy, nor sad, and I don’t feel lifted up after listening to it, but it reminds me of times in my life when things were just… different. It’s deeper than melancholy, kind of hard to describe. It’s not that I love her music (which I do), I just need it sometimes to keep myself sane.

And Be My Baby is nothing short of a wonderful classic (that actually kind of sounds like the Beach Boys ). I expect Brian Wilson to have fine taste, so I totally get how he could listen to it.

PS: If you’re interested in Wilson, watch the film Love and Mercy if you haven’t, it’s excellent.

The following people thank Jules for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, Von Bontee, sir walter raleigh, WeepingAtlasCedars, QuarryMan, sigh butterfly, vonbontee

the watusi

the twist

15 April 2020
10.35pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
12191sp_Permalink sp_Print

I listened to Be My Baby a couple times after seeing this and it is a pretty cool song. Very Beach Boys -esque.

Currently listening to Muse – Origin of Symmetry (2001), perfect accompaniment for my futuristic Moroccan/spaghetti Western space colony on Mars.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Jules, Von Bontee

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

15 April 2020
11.00pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
12192sp_Permalink sp_Print

Clerefor Sede said

sir walter raleigh said

Usually the soundtrack to the life of a person with depression is a very introspective matter. In most books and films it seems to be portrayed that the individuals that struggle with mental illness and anxiety listen to sad music. That is a very basic concept, this person is sad, therefore, he listens to sad music.

Most people I know that have shared their struggles with me and also their listening habits tent to turn out quite random. It is a very personal thing. Sometimes the music or the lyrics don’t have anything to do with their state of mind at all, they just relate to the song because it signified a moment on their life. One of my friends used to have issues with his mother going through a really dark experience, and he used to listen to (I’m serious) the Beatles’ Rock And Roll Music all day long. This was a trap-listener, Travis Scott fan, with an edge for emo stuff like Marilyn Manson and heavy metal. One would expect him to listen to that stuff when having personal problems. But his mother had shown him Rock And Roll Music to him when he was a child. It was like he was trying to grasp a moment of happyness he thought lost. And he didn’t even realize it. He noticed it years later when he finally told me. At the time he thought he just liked the song because of the melody.

On the other hand, one of my closest friends used to listen to Neutral Milk Hotel and Mount Eerie in dark times in his life. And that could easily be called “depressive music”. It is totally possible as well to be sad and listen to sad music. On the other hand, a girlfriend of mine used to listen mostly to EDM and house music and she was a very troubled person as well. So again, anything goes.

I haven’t had strong depressive moments in my life, luckily. But when I do have moments of insecurity and fear, I tent to gravitate to Tracy Chapman. Particularly songs like Give Me One Reason to Stay Here or Talking ‘Bout a Revolution . Nothing about those songs says “anguish”. It is neither happy, nor sad, and I don’t feel lifted up after listening to it, but it reminds me of times in my life when things were just… different. It’s deeper than melancholy, kind of hard to describe. It’s not that I love her music (which I do), I just need it sometimes to keep myself sane.

And Be My Baby is nothing short of a wonderful classic (that actually kind of sounds like the Beach Boys ). I expect Brian Wilson to have fine taste, so I totally get how he could listen to it.

PS: If you’re interested in Wilson, watch the film Love and Mercy if you haven’t, it’s excellent.

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 One also may turn to specific music because it’s just plain comfortable and returning to a comfort zone is something that people do (sometimes unconsciously) when going through a tough time. Be My Baby may have made Brian comfortable since it was his favorite song. It wasn’t anything new or intrusive, but just a lovely familiar melody that he used to attempt to drown out the negatives. I think that’s a misconception– that people who are depressed will only turn to depressing music. In some cases, yes, if that person is comforted by sorrowful tunes, but sometimes people who are depressed don’t want to subscribe to the whole woe-is-me-im-going-to-listen-to-emo attitude– they just want to be comfortable. They just want to be able to turn off the thoughts and succumb to good music. Like what you said, Tracy Chapman’s music doesn’t express “anguish” or high-strung emotion, it just makes you feel sane. It’s something you don’t feel you have to think that hard on or put some much effort into…if that makes sense? 

Take me for example– I struggle with episodes of seasonal depression as well as social anxiety on a more daily basis. When I’m depressed or anxious, I listen to only the Beatles (surprise surprise) because I know their music. They’re familiar and they’re comforting and it feels like their music is really there for me in a weird way. They calm me down by surrounding me in a comfortable atmosphere where it’s just me, John, Paul, George, and Ringo (Rubber Soul is especially calming just because listening to the album for me is basically just like taking a drag of a joint but anyhoo…a-hard-days-night-paul-10). I listen to the sad Beatles songs, the happy Beatles songs, the solo stuff, Helter Skelter , the angry Beatles stuff, the granny music, the psychedelic stuff you name it, it all makes me feel better in times of depression or anxiety by letting me know that all this stuff will always be there for me in times of trouble. 

I hope you saw my point in all that because I sure can’t but oh well I said what I thought I needed to say. 

Okay, let’s stay-on-topic:

I’m currently listening to (and watching) this over and over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..RCgueckAXE

because this is a pure bop

Macca is also pretty wack in this video but it’s lovely heart He’s such a dad…….

………except when my IRL dad is trying to be cool it’s just him blasting all volumes of Europe ’72 and trying to make conversation by saying “Have you heard this live jam? Damn it slapspaul-mccartney-facepalm_gif 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Von Bontee, Beatlebug, Jules, WeepingAtlasCedars, sir walter raleigh, QuarryMan, vonbontee

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

15 April 2020
11.02pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
12193sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebibley moment! I’m half-watching an episode of Netflix’s “The Crown” set in 1972, and just when I glance at this thread to see that Beatlebug posted last, cut to Princess Anne riding in a car, listening to and singing along with “Starman”!

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

16 April 2020
12.09am
Beatlebug

Moderators
12194sp_Permalink sp_Print

^cool, didn’t know Princess Anne had such good taste in music. Funnily enough, Starman was the last thing I posted too… ahdn_george_06

Currently listening to “Madness” by Muse. Love it, hate it, think it’s overrated, it’s a god damn brilliant vocal performance.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

vonbontee

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

16 April 2020
12.18am
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members
12195sp_Permalink sp_Print

the reason you think Be My Baby is Beach Boys -esque is because it was Brians all time favorite song! Phil Spector was his idol. 

Thanks @Jules and @lovelyritametermaid for the beautiful reads. 

Recently i’ve been in one of those funks myself, and yall won’t believe which song I chose to repeat…

sexy

a mothafuckin

sadie

QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

16 April 2020
1.09am
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
12196sp_Permalink sp_Print

Black Light Burns – Cover Your Heart and the Anvil Pants Odyssey.

16 April 2020
2.35am
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
12197sp_Permalink sp_Print

Black Light Burns – The Moment You Realize You’re Going to Fall.

16 April 2020
6.10am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
12198sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just thought I’d add my perspective to those discussing music as a coping mechanism (very interesting reads by the way, guys) – about three years ago I was in a very angsty, depressive teenage rut due to quite a few problems in my personal life, and having recently got into The Smiths, I used to listen to their music constantly. I was on school exam-leave at the time and spending most of my time in my bedroom revising, so I probably went through their entire discography multiple times every single day. Something about Morrissey’s lyrics just really spoke to me back then – every single line seemed to unravel some new layer of meaning that somehow perfectly chimed with exactly how I was feeling in any given moment.

Anyways, once things improved for me I still listened to The Smiths, but the magic wasn’t the same anymore. Their music was just too tied in my head to that specific time and set of emotions, much like Clerefor with Tracy Chapman’s music is to his childhood, that I couldn’t separate it or apply it to my present feelings. Now whenever I listen to those songs and albums, particularly the heavy hitters like ‘Asleep’ and ‘I Know It’s Over’, I’m taken back to that time, which I guess is kind of nice, because it always reminds me that things do get better. Typically, if you recall what I said about every line perfectly matching my emotions, they even have a song that does the same –

“The most impassioned song
To a lonely soul
Is so easily outgrown
But don’t forget the songs
That made you smile
And the songs that made you cry
When you lay in awe
On the bedroom floor
And said : “Oh, oh, smother me Mother

But don’t forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you’re older now
And you’re a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

And when you’re dancing and laughing
And finally living
Hear my voice in your head
And think of me kindly..”

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh, Beatlebug, Von Bontee, Jules, WeepingAtlasCedars

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

16 April 2020
9.07am
Dingle Lad
Detroit Rock Citizen
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 610
12199sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is not like my normal post as i’m working but this is in the background

Image Enlarger

Buddy Holly Gold

The following people thank Dingle Lad for this post:

Von Bontee

What is happening? And tell me how you've been.

16 April 2020
10.55am
Dingle Lad
Detroit Rock Citizen
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 610
12200sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gettin into a 50’s vibe. 

Image Enlarger

Very Best Of Little Richard

The following people thank Dingle Lad for this post:

Von Bontee

What is happening? And tell me how you've been.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694