Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
7 April 2020
11.18am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12041sp_Permalink sp_Print

@QuarryMan said

@Jules said
My damn signature is hella tight, you trippin.

Jk

I dunno. I could think of another one but I wasn’t planning on changing it soon. Is it because it’s vulgar? because I don’t want to put anything very pretentious either. Not that yours or anybody else is to a big extent but just saying, I like how out of place mine looks, I think it’s a lil bit funny. But sure, I’ll see what I can do.george-martin

Maybe just censor the word itself. It’s not against the rules to swear as far as I’m aware, but as Vb said, there are youngsters on the forum. I’m not sure why my signature does that sometimes, I’ll try fixing it. I’m thinking of switching my avatar for a while anyway so I guess I could get rid of the bottom line of it.   

^this. No one says you can’t swear, but as a general matter of etiquette we try to keep it fairly PG-13, out of consideration to the younger members. Ron Nasty and other Biblers sometimes like to use “feck” as a substitute.

also Qman you can put the avatar credit in your bio, that’s what @parlance did.

(trying to stay on topic) Was: “Keep Yourself Alive” – Queen
Am: my teacher talking about this week’s assignments over Microsoft Teams, which I’m not paying much attention to ahdn_george_06

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Jules, QuarryMan, The Hole Got Fixed, Von Bontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

7 April 2020
11.30am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
12042sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said

(trying to stay on topic) Was: “Keep Yourself Alive” – Queen

Am: my teacher talking about this week’s assignments over Microsoft Teams, which I’m not paying much attention to ahdn_george_06

Lmao I had a meeting with my APUSH class a half-hour ago and I muted my microphone and adjusted my camera so they couldn’t see/hear me practicing scales and chromatic exercise on my guitar while I was “intently listening” 

Anyhoo…

Was: 

GRATEFUL DEAD - American Beauty - Amazon.com Music

American Beauty — Grateful Dead (1970) 

Now: 

…..Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chameleon you come and goooooo you come and goooOOOOOoo…..!

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug, Getbackintheussr, The Hole Got Fixed, sigh butterfly, Von Bontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

7 April 2020
11.53am
Beatlebug

Moderators
12043sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said

Lmao I had a meeting with my APUSH class a half-hour ago and I muted my microphone and adjusted my camera so they couldn’t see/hear me practicing scales and chromatic exercise on my guitar while I was “intently listening” 

haha nice john-lennon-salute_gif half the people in my class don’t even show up, and half those that do don’t show their faces (I expect it’s different because it’s a college class, and a 1-credit class at that, so as long as you do the assignments you get attendance). I show my face because I’ve spent a lot of time fussing with my background lately and I want to show it off – that’s actually the reason I did that Bowie drawing, because I realized I had Beatles, Floyd, and a nice selection of guitars in my background, and I needed a nice glarey Bowie to glare over my shoulder when I’m on-camera (and also to make up for the fact that I don’t talk much). a-hard-days-night-john-6

Anyway, listening to
https://youtu.be/1Sq6_NVrKes

lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

7 April 2020
12.51pm
PurplishRain
The Cold Waters of Lake Minnetoka
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 476
12044sp_Permalink sp_Print

In my opinion, my favorite single that Prince ever put out

The following people thank PurplishRain for this post:

Von Bontee, Dingle Lad

"Dinner with Delores Must be some kind of sin
Like a Brontosaurus  She was packin' it in" -Prince

Prince_logo.png

7 April 2020
1.07pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690
12045sp_Permalink sp_Print

@PurplishRain OMG that is the most 80s thing I have ever seen

The following people thank Jules for this post:

Beatlebug

the watusi

the twist

7 April 2020
1.25pm
PurplishRain
The Cold Waters of Lake Minnetoka
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 476
12046sp_Permalink sp_Print

Clerefor Sede said

Well, It did come out in the 80s

The following people thank PurplishRain for this post:

vonbontee

"Dinner with Delores Must be some kind of sin
Like a Brontosaurus  She was packin' it in" -Prince

Prince_logo.png

7 April 2020
2.14pm
Vera Chuck and Dave
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 598
12047sp_Permalink sp_Print

Back to the Bars by Todd Rundgren

The following people thank Vera Chuck and Dave for this post:

vonbontee
7 April 2020
2.16pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
12048sp_Permalink sp_Print

PurplishRain said

Clerefor Sede said

Well, It did come out in the 80s

I’m aware.

the watusi

the twist

7 April 2020
2.28pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456
12049sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dingle Lad said
More specifically disc 2, which is a virtual greatest hits of her 12″ mixes. You may not like disco, but you can’t deny the art and craftmanship that went into these songs

Image Enlarger

Remarkable double-album, even with a few weakish songs. Side 3 is all slow to midtempo ballads, with the countryish (steel guitars!) “On My Honour” being my favourite. The other three sides’ eleven tracks are sequenced together uninterrupted: Opening track sets the tempo and locks on; and the beat don’t stop till the outer groove is reached, so the bulk of the album is basically three long suites, or medleys or whatever. There’s no storyline like in her previous double LP “Once Upon a Time…”; the songs have nothing to do with one another, and mood shifts between tracks can be surprising (or barely noticeable); the beat itself will vary enough to hold interest and match the mood. But that tempo never relents (even though side 2 bends the rules, with in intro and first verse at exactly half-tempo), and becomes it’s own kind of concept. First two sides offer sophisticated rock and funk-inflected dance music (the word “disco” is already becoming a punchline, and vanishing; Donna herself refused to categorize her music as such.) Together with her production team of Giorgio Moroder/Pete Bellotte and their team of musicians, she takes a cue from the Rolling Stones and other rockers who are themselves taking their cues from the dance floors (even KISS had a wonderfully trashy disco-friendly hit that year for chrissakes!), and some hot guitar stings and solos from session ace Steve Lukather are welcome. Side 4 is breathtaking, with the steady tempo up significantly, for three more slices of that revolutionary Summer-Moroder-Bellotte) dance electronica; again, neither of these three songs sound anything alike, but maintain a steady beat for continuity. “Sunset People” is the closer, and maybe the album’s high point. This is probably still my favourite album of 1979 (sorry Jonesy, Percy, Bonzo and Pagey); the 8-track was a treasured Xmas gift that year, even as I longed for the vinyl with the lyrics/credits including BPM markings for DJs!/amazing posed-photo array of a streetwalking Donna. I’ve loved this woman and her music for the bulk of my life, since I was a “tween” and even before that (even if she did maybe allegedly once say something ignorant about gay people, a fact she always denied), and I still miss her and am kinda tearing up right now just writing this. a-hard-days-night-paul-10 Fuck you, cancer, forever and always.

Was listening to Stevie Wonder in final prep for writing a word or two about “Talking Book”, but I decided to join Dingle Lad and write this instead. Listening 2 Donna now. paul-mccartney-thumb_gif And soon will have to select mombontee-friendly tuneage for the daily game, dunno what yet….

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

7 April 2020
3.12pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
12050sp_Permalink sp_Print

U2 – Rattle & Hum (the only U2 CD that my family possesses, s far as I know, and one which I heard a good bit growing up)

Me: *digging through my set of 100+ colored pencils for a specific color because I’m trying to make a more portable mini-set with considerably less than 100 pencils because I really don’t need all of them that often*
Bono and his gospel choir: but I sTIILLLLLLL
haven’tFOOUUUUUND
WHATI’MLOOKINFOOOOOOOr
Me: ahdn_paul_02

lovelyritametermaid, vonbontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

7 April 2020
4.45pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445
12051sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Terrible “Helter Skelter ” cover, but at least it’s better than Motley Crue’s…

Now listening to Elvis (Presley)

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Beatlebug

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

7 April 2020
4.54pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
12052sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Terrible “Helter Skelter ” cover, but at least better than Motley Crue’s

omigod don’t mention that name here I absolutely despise Motley Crue blue-meanie 

Anyhoo rn I’m listening to 

John Mulaney - The Top Part - Amazon.com Music

The Top Part — John Mulaney (2009) 

*it’s weird not seeing him in some sort of suit and it unnerves me. 

Vera Chuck and Dave, vonbontee

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

7 April 2020
5.54pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
12053sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said

muph057-b004-sl524-i046-001.jpgImage Enlarger

Yes yes yes love Jerry and I love the Dead beatlemaniacs_02_gifheart 

Come hear Uncle John’s Band by the riverside. steal_your_face.jpg.png

A pleasure to make the acquaintance a fellow Deadhead. gd-bear_0.jpg

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

7 April 2020
8.57pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456
12054sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said

@QuarryMan said

@Jules said

My damn signature is hella tight, you trippin.

Jk

I dunno. I could think of another one but I wasn’t planning on changing it soon. Is it because it’s vulgar? because I don’t want to put anything very pretentious either. Not that yours or anybody else is to a big extent but just saying, I like how out of place mine looks, I think it’s a lil bit funny. But sure, I’ll see what I can do.george-martin

Maybe just censor the word itself. It’s not against the rules to swear as far as I’m aware, but as Vb said, there are youngsters on the forum. I’m not sure why my signature does that sometimes, I’ll try fixing it. I’m thinking of switching my avatar for a while anyway so I guess I could get rid of the bottom line of it.   

^this. No one says you can’t swear, but as a general matter of etiquette we try to keep it fairly PG-13, out of consideration to the younger members. Ron Nasty and other Biblers sometimes like to use “feck” as a substitute.

also Qman you can put the avatar credit in your bio, that’s what @parlance did.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with any individual word – it was the way they were arranged, without any context as to the rest of the lyrics, or the subject of the song. (I don’t know Kanye’s work barely at all – need to remedy!) Like, aside from just being graphic, they could as easily have been suggestive of sexual assault, as opposed to just sexytimes hotdirty pillow-talk (which I presume is the case.)

I’m listening to Lou’s “New York”, as suggested by Ron Fecking Nasty his feckingself. I’ve not played it since the early ’90s and trying to strum some rhythm accompaniment where I can, Lou’s songs have very simple chords. As Lou said in the liner notes “You can’t beat two guitars, bass, drum.” and this album was maybe the most 1969-Velvetsish sounding LP he’d released. The band plays great and rocks hard when they’re called to; Lou’s got a busload of fine new songs and has fun singing or deadpanning or mumbling them out; and Maureen Tucker herself even shows up with her mallets for two tracks.* Yep, fine album choice from @Ron Nasty 

*And Lou returned the favour by playing lead guitar on Mo’s solo LP debut later that year:

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Jules, WeepingAtlasCedars

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

7 April 2020
9.02pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
12055sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK Computer - Wikipedia

Ok Computer — Radiohead (1997) 

I’m a complete Radiohead virgin (besides “Creep”), but I gotta say I’m enjoying this album a lot so far paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

Beatlebug, Vera Chuck and Dave

||She/They ||

7 April 2020
9.28pm
Vera Chuck and Dave
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 598
12056sp_Permalink sp_Print

^you’re in for a ride

Tug Of War by Paul McCartney

been listening to a lot of Beatles solo albums lately, if you can’t tell

The following people thank Vera Chuck and Dave for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars
7 April 2020
10.53pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
12057sp_Permalink sp_Print

Vera Chuck and Dave said
^you’re in for a ride

Yep. @lovelyritametermaid queue up behind @Jules, you can join the “Let’s Get Into Radiohead Together” party led by Radiohead veteran (jk I’m a relatively new fan) Beatlebug. a-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-george-10

Currently playing on repeat

because I love Robert’s Moroccan moods to bits

Jules, vonbontee, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

7 April 2020
11.19pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
12058sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tonight the moon looks like a big bowl of strawberry sherbet. 

Nick Drake – Pink Moon (1972)

sir walter raleigh, Beatlebug, vonbontee, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

You and I have memories

7 April 2020
11.37pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
12059sp_Permalink sp_Print

After Hours – Velvet Underground (1969)  

If you close the door
The night could last forever
Leave the sunshine out
And say hello to never

vonbontee, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

You and I have memories

8 April 2020
12.25am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
12060sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said
Just to be clear, I have no problem with any individual word – it was the way they were arranged, without any context as to the rest of the lyrics, or the subject of the song. (I don’t know Kanye’s work barely at all – need to remedy!) Like, aside from just being graphic, they could as easily have been suggestive of sexual assault, as opposed to just sexytimes hotdirty pillow-talk (which I presume is the case.)

What is the point if I’m not gonna put the rest of the lyrics in. Anyone can go and Google the song and learn about what it’s about. It’s not like Kanye says “I’m gonna f*ck you hard on the sink, after that give you something to drink” and right after that he says “by the way this is not sexual assault”. If I have to clarify it it fails at being funny and provocative. I prefer not to put it at all.

the watusi

the twist

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694