Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
9 January 2020
4.24pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11401sp_Permalink sp_Print

Clowns – Nature/Nurture. 

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

9 January 2020
5.04pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
11402sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
On to Presence now – we’re in the home stretch, lads! ahdn_john_08_gif

I’m debating whether or not I want to listen to Coda. On one hand, it is technically part of the Zeppathon canon; on the other hand, I don’t have it (which is not a huge problem, I have Spotify) and I don’t generally think of it as being part of their studio album canon, but rather a loose assortment of odds and ends to provide some kind of closure to Led Zeppelin. Thoughts?

Well, personally I’d wanna finish the job properly if just for the sake of completion. But also because that way-expanded “Coda”, especially shuffled on Spotify, puts the original to shame! “Hey Hey..” is a gem, and the “Bring It On Home” runthrough is a JAM. “Sugar Mama” is a funky little thang, “St. Tristan’s Sword”, a proggy instrumental that would’ve scarred Zep III but sounds fine here, the experiments in India (they really were the Beatles of the 70s! ahdn_john_08_gif)…yeah, I’d recommend a listen! I’d join in if I wasn’t immersed in my 1984 mix, so Zepwise I have to settle for Honeydrippers, The Firm, and RP’s “In the Mood” single…I guess Billy Squier and Whitesnake are pretty Zeppish, Prince’s “Darling Nikki” too…

…and in the jazz field, there’s this album by Branford Marsalis with a familiar-looking cover:

https://www.discogs.com/fr/rel…..ity/images

(An homage to his teenage favourites; nerdy brother Wynton preferred Yes)

Anyways…now playing “Roxanne Shanté, “Roxanne’s Revenge”

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

9 January 2020
5.13pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
11403sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

^I’ll definitely have to check out the expanded Coda, I love ‘Hey, Hey, What Can I Do’. For the purposes of my Zeppathon I just did the standard Coda on YouTube. ahdn_george_06 I’ve just finished it, and now I feel almost as lost as Zepp fans must have back in the day when they realized Zepp was to be no more. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

However, in the interest of Pageday, and to move on from my Zeppathon, I’ve started Jimmy’s solo album Outrider (guest-featuring Robert Plant on one and Jason Bonham on several of the tracks!) which my friend gave me for my birthday a couple years ago.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Von Bontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

9 January 2020
5.32pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
11404sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, it was weird for me – I discover the magnificence of “Presence” in the summer, am amazed by the band and by the drummer in particular, then read of his death 2-3 months later. Terrible losses that year. 🙁

I’ve edited my post above, check out that cover!…(Now playing Styx, the much-scorned “Music Time”)

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

9 January 2020
5.47pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
11405sp_Permalink sp_Print

Checking out Celeste, appeared on Glastonbury’s Introducing… stage in 2019, BBC Radio 1 Artist of the Year, Brits Rising Star for 2020, BBC Sound of 2020…

What a fecking fantastic soul voice she has…

She is going to be fecking massive… and she’s not the only upcoming UK artist that has learnt lessons from Amy Winehouse, here’s another to watch…

Great people and talent out there if you explore…

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug, Von Bontee

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

9 January 2020
6.47pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008
11406sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ali Barter – Hello, I’m Doing My Best.

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

9 January 2020
9.45pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
11407sp_Permalink sp_Print

I listened to Houses of the Holy throughout sitting through musical rehearsal (I shared headphones with one of my fellow stage managers because he’s a huge Zephead. It was pretty chill.) and Physical Graffiti at my swim meet and lemme tell you I loved Physical Graffiti and it has now surpassed III  as my favorite (I mean I also loved HOH but PG got a few extra points in there…..) 

I also finished In Through the Out Door just now. I would have listened to Presence, but alas I cannot find it at all on Apple Music…I also would listen to Coda, however, I really need to go to bed, it’s been a long day. 

Currently: I’m listening to the Something About the Beatles podcast (specifically Episode 17: “The Fifth Beatle– Brian Epstein”) to help me fall asleep (I’m weird and can’t sleep without the sound of people having a conversation, so I just put on podcast episodes that I’ve already listened toa-hard-days-night-paul-7. It also helps me absorb more Beatley knowledge as well as give me Beatle-fueled dreams. It’s a win-win-win!) 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug, QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars, vonbontee

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

9 January 2020
11.23pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
11408sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m so proud of you @lovelyritametermaid a-hard-days-night-george-9 it took me months to get through as many Zepp albums as you have in one day ahdn_george_06

I’ve just spent about an hour and forty-five minutes jamming to Zeppelin* and it’s definitely past my (already terribly elastic) bedtime. ahdn_george_05

But first, considering the date –

*guitarwise. Obviously I’ve been jamming to Zeppelin all day.

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan, Von Bontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

10 January 2020
6.49am
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
11409sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
I’m so proud of you @lovelyritametermaid a-hard-days-night-george-9 it took me months to get through as many Zepp albums as you have in one day ahdn_george_06 

Y E E T  Thanks and I’m glad that I did it john-lennon-salute_gif

Now: 

Image result for aladdin sane album cover

Aladdin Sane— Bavid Dowie

Next: 

Image result for diamond dogs album cover

Diamond Dogs— David Bowie 

Beatlebug

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

10 January 2020
10.42am
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
11410sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now: 

Image result for young americans album cover

Young Americans

Next:

Image result for station to station album cover

Station to Station 

50yearslate, Beatlebug

||She/They ||

10 January 2020
11.44am
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
11411sp_Permalink sp_Print

^I really need to put more effort into finishing David’s discography, I’m doing a dismal job right now. It’s just so hard to make the time for new music when all the old music is sO GOOD! I haven’t even listened to the Ringo album yet, shameful I know a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Right now I’m listening to some bad 2000s pop (not by choice, someone is playing it in the vicinity so I have no choice but to listen).

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

10 January 2020
12.24pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
11412sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
^I really need to put more effort into finishing David’s discography, I’m doing a dismal job right now. It’s just so hard to make the time for new music when all the old music is sO GOOD! I haven’t even listened to the Ringo album yet, shameful I know a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Right now I’m listening to some bad 2000s pop (not by choice, someone is playing it in the vicinity so I have no choice but to listen).

Don’t worry, Fiddy, I haven’t listened to the new Ringo album yet either! Big oof. Do y’all ever get so intimidated because there’s just so much music in the world to listen to? Also, 2000s pop is gross….

Now: 

Image result for low album cover

Low

Next: 

Image result for lodger album cover

Lodger 

Beatlebug, 50yearslate, QuarryMan, Von Bontee

||She/They ||

10 January 2020
12.46pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
11413sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Occasionally I do feel a bit bewildered by all I’ve listened to and all I’ve yet to, but most of the time my focus is quite inch-wide mile-deep, so to speak, and I’m too busy devotedly worshipping what I already know and love to worry about it. When I’ve set my sights on a new-to-me artist, however, I do try to be thorough…. and chronological. ahdn_george_06

Just finished The Buddha of Suburbia (1993) in full and am on to 1. Outside (1995)… a curious album which I intend to abridge somewhat, but I quite like several of the tracks. As a whole it has grown on me since my first listen many moons ago.

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

10 January 2020
4.22pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
11414sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Currently chugging through Scary Monsters, Super Creeps and after that, we’re on to Let’s Dance (TBH, I don’t know how much of it I’ll get through cause I’m going out with friends tonight…I’ll listen to as much as I can while getting ready) and then I’m skipping straight to Black Star when I get home, for time’s sake. (I would like to listen to Tonight but *sigh* there’s not enough time in the day for me…..Oh well,  at least I’ve watched “Jazzin’ for Blue Jean” twice last night.) 

Beatlebug

||She/They ||

10 January 2020
4.46pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
11415sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was: most of hours… (1999) I find ‘Thursday’s Child’ insufferable (the production is incredibly soporific), despite being a Thursday’s child myself, but the rest of the album isn’t bad. a-hard-days-night-paul-8
Am: My beloved Heathen (2002) heart it’s in my top three Bowie albums most days, and lurks around #1 on days that call for a melancholy, overcast, pensive mood… such as this one. heart
Next: Reality (2003) — I think of it as a sequel to Heathen, even though the two couldn’t be more different and are really only similar chronologically. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

I’m nearing the end of my two days’ Bowie journey… a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-7

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

10 January 2020
6.20pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
11416sp_Permalink sp_Print

Highly underrated slice of 80s/90s jangle pop. This one could have been a huge hit, if it had been properly promoted, I think

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

10 January 2020
7.20pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
11417sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Was: most of hours… (1999) I find ‘Thursday’s Child’ insufferable (the production is incredibly soporific), despite being a Thursday’s child myself, but the rest of the album isn’t bad. a-hard-days-night-paul-8

Am: My beloved Heathen (2002) heart it’s in my top three Bowie albums most days, and lurks around #1 on days that call for a melancholy, overcast, pensive mood… such as this one. heart

Next: Reality (2003) — I think of it as a sequel to Heathen, even though the two couldn’t be more different and are really only similar chronologically. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

I’m nearing the end of my two days’ Bowie journey… a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-7

What’s this? A mention of Reality without a mention of me? Oh the times they are a-changin’ a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Was: Hunky Dory

Am: Odessey & Oracle

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

10 January 2020
7.51pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
11418sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s interesting how the last two albums save one both ended with meditations on death: ‘Heathen (The Rays)’ and ‘Bring Me The Disco King’. I’ve just listened to The Next Day (2013), and while it contains as many references to mortality as any other Bowie album, it avoids addressing the subject explicitly.

Now I’m listening to Blackstar, which of course more than makes up for it. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

I also find it interesting how he gradually erased himself from his album covers, starting with his eyes on Heathen, then hiding behind a cartoon avatar on Reality, covering his photo altogether on The Next Day, and finally just adorning the cover of Blackstar with exactly that (an absence of cover on the record, actually, with the cover being cut away in a star shape to reveal the black vinyl beneath) and hiding his name behind fragments of stars.

Makes you think he did it on purpose. ahdn_george_01

Edit: SORRY FIDDY a-hard-days-night-paul-7

lovelyritametermaid, Von Bontee

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

10 January 2020
9.30pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
11419sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Three versions of ‘Conversation Piece’ on repeat… it’s interesting to compare this song, written so early in his career (‘I’m invisible and dumb, and no one will recall me… The world is full of folk who don’t know me’), with ‘Lazarus’ (‘I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen/ Everybody knows me now’)… I think he always had a fear of living and dying alone and in obscurity, and in ‘Lazarus’ he reflects that, for better or for worse, he succeeded in not dying in obscurity.

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

10 January 2020
11.03pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
11420sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just finished listening to Black Star…. cried a bit. Actually, cried more than a bit, but it’s fine. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Welp, my Bowiethon has come to an end. I’m now gonna listen to SATB  Episode 37: Bowie and the Beatles and then s l e e p

Beatlebug said

I also find it interesting how he gradually erased himself from his album covers, starting with his eyes on Heathen, then hiding behind a cartoon avatar on Reality, covering his photo altogether on The Next Day, and finally just adorning the cover of Blackstar with exactly that (an absence of cover on the record, actually, with the cover being cut away in a star shape to reveal the black vinyl beneath) and hiding his name behind fragments of stars.

Makes you think he did it on purpose. ahdn_george_01

Dang…..I never noticed that before…..ahdn_paul_02ahdn_george_01…..My mind is blown……a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

Dammit, I miss David so much. 

Beatlebug

||She/They ||

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694