Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
8 November 2019
9.52am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11141sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Released on this day in 1971:

Led-Zeppelin-LV-cover.jpg

Led Zeppelin – that fourth album they released on this day in 1971

I’m sorry, I couldn’t help turning the double captions into a meme a-hard-days-night-john-6

Screen-Shot-2019-11-08-at-15.50.56.pngImage Enlarger

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Beatlebug, CakeMaestor, Getbackintheussr, WeepingAtlasCedars

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

8 November 2019
7.29pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
11142sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 That’s okay, I like memes a-hard-days-night-george-9

Now listening to this interestingly jazzy, though rather obscure, record, released on this day in 1993:
BoSImage Enlarger

David Bowie – The Buddha of Suburbia

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

QuarryMan

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

9 November 2019
3.33pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
11143sp_Permalink sp_Print

This:

Beatlebug said one year ago today
NEW MUSE ALBUM TO-DAY beatlemaniacs_02_gif
Muse_SimulationTheory.jpegImage Enlarger

Simulation Theory – Muse (2018)  

I can’t believe it’s already a whole year old. They grow up so fast. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

10 November 2019
6.02am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
11144sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee, Beatlebug

10 November 2019
12.49pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444
11145sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was: Sleater-Kinney, 1995 debut. I can hear bits of the late ’80s-early 90s American alt-rock touchstones (Nirvana, Pixies, Sonic Youth), and singer Corin Tucker has a shriek that reminds me oddly of early Cyndi Lauper, to my surprise and delight. Cool debut; I gave it a first-listen yesterday (I’m slow) and immediately followed up with a second. 

Is: Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers, “Free For All”. Dunno if the title (track) is meant to be an indicator, but by the time of this album the Messengers seem to be exploring beyond the hard-bop sound to approximate some of the freer sounds that were bubbling up in the jazz world at the time. (February 10, 1964, to be exact – Beatles ride train from NYC to Washington.) Some of the faster numbers reach the intensity levels of the Coltrane Quartet – close your eyes and you can imagine you’re hearing Elvin and Trane, instead of Blakey and Wayne Shorter.) And Blakey whoops with delight (while punishing his drumss) throughout. 

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

QuarryMan

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

10 November 2019
4.06pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
11146sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I enjoy Book of Mormon, the score for it isn’t very memorable but Turn It Off is a gem. Nothing is better than suppressing your inner gay. 

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, William Shears Campbell

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

10 November 2019
4.59pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
11147sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said
Was: Sleater-Kinney, 1995 debut. I can hear bits of the late ’80s-early 90s American alt-rock touchstones (Nirvana, Pixies, Sonic Youth), and singer Corin Tucker has a shriek that reminds me oddly of early Cyndi Lauper, to my surprise and delight. Cool debut; I gave it a first-listen yesterday (I’m slow) and immediately followed up with a second. 

Sleater-Kinney! I’m seeing them in the new year, and I’m very excited. I also recently read Carrie’s book Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl, which was really good. Given that you chose the debut, do I take it you’re planning to go in chronological order?

Von Bontee

10 November 2019
5.12pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
11148sp_Permalink sp_Print

Forget to mention what I’m actually listening to, which is kind of the point of the thread so here goes, it’s the new album from Phil Elverum (of The Microphones/Mount Eerie notoriety), and Julie Doiron (of 90s indie rock band Eric’s Trip) in their second collaborative album. The first one, Lost Wisdom, was released in 2008. 

10 November 2019
6.38pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
11149sp_Permalink sp_Print

Heard about this song on today’s episode of Robert Plant’s podcast and I like it. paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

Von Bontee

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

10 November 2019
6.52pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
11150sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

vonbontee said

Sleater-Kinney! I’m seeing them in the new year, and I’m very excited. I also recently read Carrie’s book Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl, which was really good. Given that you chose the debut, do I take it you’re planning to go in chronological order?

Yeah, since I enjoyed the debut, I may as well continue! in a mixture of chronological and highest-rated. (And depending how much is available for free on Youtube.) 

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

11 November 2019
1.27am
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 192
11151sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ooh I like this thread (I’m quite new here, so I’m still finding things). At the moment I’m listening to the album “Setting Sons” by The Jam. My dad and I joke that we listened to the same music in college, and this is definitely an example of that. “Thick As Thieves” is probably my favorite song from the album.

The following people thank Turn Left At Greenland for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

"And life flows on within you and without you"

"I guess I just wasn't made for these times"

11 November 2019
9.27am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
11152sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said

QuarryMan said

vonbontee said

Yeah, since I enjoyed the debut, I may as well continue! in a mixture of chronological and highest-rated. (And depending how much is available for free on Youtube.) 

I think you’ll like Dig Me Out, their third album. It’s their equivalent of Nevermind, probably. Plus, the cover imitates Kontroversy by The Kinks which is a pretty cool detail. 

11 November 2019
10.57am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
11153sp_Permalink sp_Print

Haha yeah, I noticed that! Some great albums on that wall… 

Last night I listened to “Call The Doctor” twice plus the first half of “Dig Me Out” before taking a break to watch my weekly show (“Bob’s Burgers”) and I’m really digging their basic sound, especially in the vocal attack – I hear the Raincoats, B-52s, Throwing Muses. They’re good at writing those angular-hook guitar parts, too. Sometimes I wish for a bit more intelligibility in the lyrics, and a bit more variety, but mostly I’m wishing I’d checked these women out TWENTY YEARS AGO, when their names were in all the rockmags 

QuarryMan

offtopic-1.png

11 November 2019
1.11pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
11154sp_Permalink sp_Print

Turn Left At Greenland said
Ooh I like this thread (I’m quite new here, so I’m still finding things).

Welcome to the forum, tl@g, hope you’ll explore further and stick around and write stuff…have an apple! apple01

S-K wise, I’ve given up on chronology and am now just randomly choosing albums. So far, I think “The Woods” is the standout. (An 11-minute psychedelic noise-jam from a band that made a 10-song, 22-minute debut!)

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

11 November 2019
1.56pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
11155sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doing a listen through of Ziggy for the first time in far too long

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

11 November 2019
2.44pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
11156sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said

S-K wise, I’ve given up on chronology and am now just randomly choosing albums. So far, I think “The Woods” is the standout. (An 11-minute psychedelic noise-jam from a band that made a 10-song, 22-minute debut!)

The Woods is fantastic, probably my favourite after DMO. ‘Modern Girl’ is such a stunning song. 

12 November 2019
7.30am
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 767
11157sp_Permalink sp_Print

Currently going through some Christmas albums, given that Christmas is my favorite day of the year (followed by Chinese New Year). Lately I’ve been listening to a huge set of hymns by the Oxford Trinity Choir published during 2017. Whilst some hymns are great adaptations, some are a bit of a snoozer. Just thought I should share it with the forum here:

Highlights for me include “Hark! The Heralds Angels Sing”, “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”, “We Three Kings”, “Coventry Carol”, “The Lord’s My Shepard” and “I Vow to Thee My Country”

We do a little trolling

- Faul

12 November 2019
1.50pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
11158sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

^I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Christmas until after (American) Thanksgiving. Partly because I believe in seasonal timeliness and it’s still fall where I live for a while yet, which is a season I greatly enjoy and want to cherish every bit of; partly because I feel like it’s unpatriotic to disrespect Thanksgiving; and partly because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

Today is a beautifully cold, wet, windy, rainy day and so I’m listening to Phillip Glass’s Symphony No. 1: Low and this on repeat:

WHY IS HE SO PERFECT beatlemaniacs_02_gif I love how he’s elegantly serious/seriously elegant for most of the song and then the acoustic drums come in and he turns into an embarrassing dancing dad a-hard-days-night-george-9

50yearslate, CakeMaestor

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

12 November 2019
2.19pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
11159sp_Permalink sp_Print

CakeMaestor said
Currently going through some Christmas albums, given that Christmas is my favorite day of the year (followed by Chinese New Year). Lately I’ve been listening to a huge set of hymns by the Oxford Trinity Choir published during 2017. Whilst some hymns are great adaptations, some are a bit of a snoozer. Just thought I should share it with the forum here:

Highlights for me include “Hark! The Heralds Angels Sing”, “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”, “We Three Kings”, “Coventry Carol”, “The Lord’s My Shepard” and “I Vow to Thee My Country”

Oooo that sounds really good! My family’s got some Oxford Trinity Choir recordings from ages ago but I need to listen to this to see if it’s better. I shall do that this afternoon! 

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

12 November 2019
4.13pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
11160sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said 

Last night I listened to “Call The Doctor” twice plus the first half of “Dig Me Out” before taking a break to watch my weekly show (“Bob’s Burgers“) 

…and now don’t I discover, to my amazement, that an animated version of the band actually performs for Bob’s kids themselves, in the video for “A New Wave”!

If Sleater-Kinney were trying to purposefully gain my personal designation as “best band of the 21st century so far”, they certainly know how to do it. 

QuarryMan

offtopic-1.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691