Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
30 April 2017
10.34pm
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7621sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^^ Just out of curiosity, sir walter, which albums are the utter shite ones? As of yet, I haven’t gotten as much into solo Beatles as I would have liked. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

The following people thank WeepingAtlasCedars for this post:

Beatlebug

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

30 April 2017
11.38pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445

George’s “Extra Texture ” is pretty not-good

Current listening…

Image Enlarger

Recorded April 1, 1963…Beatles become the first rock ‘n roll band to orbit the earth as part of NASA’s Gemini Program! Fully immersed in the space race, America badly wanted to put a rock band into orbit before the Russians…a feat that was easier than expected since the USSR had no homegrown rock groups, only teen idols like Boris “Bobby” Rocksov and Young Yevgeni Yetsurenko. Beatles complete the historic task with “flying” colours, completing five orbits of earth while jettisoning copies of their “Please Please Me ” single into space and are awarded honourary American citizenship.

Also, they record a radio program for the BBC’s “Side By Side” series.

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

1 May 2017
12.01am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
7623sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah man, I love Extra Texture . Very soft and gentle feel to some really great songs. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Von Bontee

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

1 May 2017
12.10am
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

WeepingAtlasCedars said
^^^ Just out of curiosity, sir walter, which albums are the utter shite ones? As of yet, I haven’t gotten as much into solo Beatles as I would have liked. a-hard-days-night-paul-10  

Ringo’s Bad Boy and Paul’s Press To Play are pretty insufferable in their own right, but compared to John’s Unfinished Music vol. 1 and 2 they sound like Ram . Although the first two are on the opposite side of the spectrum.

The difference is that Paul and Ringo sometimes make extremely poor attempts at pop music, while John and Yoko seem to be intentionally making the worst music possible. I don’t know who those albums are for. 

Going off what I mentioned above, George doesn’t have bad album, including his work with the Traveling Wilburys. Not that I’m saying his career is better than Paul’s or John’s but he’s a little bit more failure-proof than the others. Possibly because his style carrys through all his albums while Paul and John were more adventurous. 

@WeepingAtlasCedars 

WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug

1 May 2017
5.20am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
7625sp_Permalink sp_Print

To be fair to ‘Unfinished Music’ they are avant-garde pieces so shouldn’t be taken in the same manner as conventional pop albums. For a true shit John album there is the absymal ‘Some Time In New York City ‘, shit upon first released and hasn’t improved in any way.   

Press To Play ‘ has a couple of ok moments, the less cluttered mixes that circulate show how good some of the tracks could have been if Paul had stopped before burying each song under another 76,000 overdubs.

I hate ‘Driving Rain ‘ and ‘New’ and refuse to listen to either.

George is probably the most consistent, neither ‘Dark Horse ‘ or ‘Extra Texture ‘ are great but both have moments.

I cannot find much to any of Ringo’s albums since the late 70’s.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Von Bontee

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 May 2017
7.31am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
7626sp_Permalink sp_Print

@sir walter raleigh said
Paul’s Press To Play [is] pretty insufferable in [its] own right,

I love Press To Play . It’s way too underrated. It just got bad reviews because it wasn’t pop enough. Then again, either your like it or you don’t. There are not that many impartial people when it comes to that album.

@meanmistermustard said
I hate ‘Driving Rain ‘ and ‘New’ and refuse to listen to either.

I don’t think Driving Rain is that bad. Thought I’ve listened to it a bit and can see why some people would dislike it.

I cannot find much to any of Ringo’s albums since the late 70’s.  

This might be too modern for you, but I think Ringo’s best album(and best post 70’s album by a long shot) is Time Takes Time from 1992. I recommend giving it a listen.

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

1 May 2017
8.54am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
7627sp_Permalink sp_Print

Time Takes Time and Extra Texture are good. Not a fan of Bad Boy . Don’t like Driving Rain that much either, although it’s not completely bad. I thought the problem with Press To Play was that it was TOO pop? It was buried in all that crap 80’s pop sound. Then again, I haven’t read the reviews so I don’t know what they say. Still, some great moments on that one. 

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

sir walter raleigh

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

1 May 2017
8.58am
William Shears Campbell
Rishikesh
Members
7628sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Expert Textpert said
I thought the problem with Press To Play was that it was TOO pop? It was buried in all that crap 80’s pop sound. Then again, I haven’t read the reviews so I don’t know what they say. Still, some great moments on that one.   

The problem was that it was too experimental and not 80’s pop enough. Where as Flowers In The Dirt was more successful because it was more 80’s pop. I kinda feel bad for Paul, because he put a lot of work into Press To Play and promoted it a ton and was hoping people would like it, but it was under reviewed.

1 May 2017
9.08am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
7629sp_Permalink sp_Print

Still, it sounds more 80’s to me than any of the other albums around it. It has the Phil Collins gated drum sound, for instance. To me it sounds more 80’s pop without being more melodic, which is maybe what you mean. He could have experimented and gotten away with it if it didn’t sound like a slick 80’s pop experiment. With the exception of Only Love Remains, there are few of those Paul melodies people love. That and Pretty Little Head are the best songs in my opinion.

William Shears Campbell

1 May 2017
10.07am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

‘Footprints’ is beautiful in an early uncluttered mix.

I think with ‘Press To Play ‘ his fans weren’t expecting it and wanted something more traditional Paul whereas it wasn’t commercial enough to entice the casual buyer. Paul’s appeal wasn’t that high due to how dire ‘Give My Regards To Broad Street ‘ was; it sold but it wasn’t good (bar ‘No More Lonely Nights’).

I listened to ‘Gliding Bird’, Emmylou Harris’s long deleted debut album. Similar to Mary Hopkins but the phrasing of some of the lyrics is off. Reminded me of The Beatles Decca tape where it’s ok if you forget what came after but if you pay attention you wonder where it all was hidden. We are very thankful The Beatles found George Martin and ditched Pete Best for Ringo, the same way Emmylou fans are thankful she met Gram Parsons.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 May 2017
10.11am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
7631sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
 (bar ‘No More Lonely Nights’).  

One of my favorite songs.

Beatlebug

1 May 2017
10.17am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Expert Textpert said

One of my favorite songs.  

Great song, shame the rest of the album is ghastly.

1 May 2017
10.47am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
7633sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I have to admit it’s not to everyone’s taste, but I actually like the smooth jazz rendition of Long and Winding Road.

1 May 2017
11.35am
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

I’m bothered by Give My Regards To Broad Street . Both versions of No More Lonely Nights are fantastic, but the recycling of early Beatles tunes to mix inferior versions is totally pointless, and I don’t think it should have ever been made. He would have been better off with No More Lonely Nights ballad A-side and playout B-side. 

Yes, I forgot to mention Driving Rain . It is Paul’s worst album for sure. Although I stand by Press To Play being garbage. Fails in being experimental and in being poppy. Just an all around failure. 

As for Ringo, Ringo The Fourth and Bad Boy are low points, but he brings it around in the 80s with Stop And Smell the Roses. 

I’ll stand by Extra Texture being one of my favorite Beatle solo albums, with Tired Of The Midnight Blue and You being two of my favorite George Harrison songs. 

1 May 2017
12.33pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
7635sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t forget to hear Ringo’s “Old Wave” if you haven’t heard it. It is one of the best.

William Shears Campbell

4 May 2017
10.56am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

It’s funny how many Beatles marathons various Forumpudlians have been independently embarking on lately. I didn’t finish mine, and I was missing Help ! (my CD wouldn’t rip properly) and the George Martin score in Yellow Submarine , but it was still very enjoyable to listen to eightish hours of Beatles. And yes, I split Past Masters up appropriately — that was partly the point, to have singles corresponding to the albums.

@Martha I have an extremely high music-listening tolerance, especially as I was bored in the car. But I do see what you mean. I can go for hours spinning various albums, but I try to keep it mixed up between my favourite artists, and after a while I do have to take a break. Usually life interferes before I get to that point, though, or I get the hankering to make music instead of listening to it. ahdn_george_06

Haven’t listened to more than perhaps three Beatles albums in a row in a long time. Quite a trip it was!

Listening to New right now. I love it, it’s my favourite solo Paul album a-hard-days-night-paul-11 though Flaming Pie comes close, and BOTR and Ram aren’t technically solo. a-hard-days-night-john-6

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Martha

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

4 May 2017
11.05am
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

Anybody who listens to as much early Floyd as much as @Beatlebug has certainly developed a good music tolerance. It is difficult for me to enjoy some of that. 

I’m currently on the Anthologies, followed by Flaming Pie released the same year, which is also close to my favorite Paul solo album. 

Beatlebug

4 May 2017
11.24am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

Ah, you give me too much credit @sir walter raleigh. I can’t listen to More or Ummagumma in full; they are too boring. a-hard-days-night-john-6

I guess my listening to and learning to like the Atom Heart Mother Suite has taken a certain amount of perseverance, though… ahdn_george_06

Listening to ‘Friends’ by Led Zeppelin. Someone Page (as in Jimmy) WeepyC! beatlemaniacs_02_gif

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

4 May 2017
8.10pm
William Shears Campbell
Rishikesh
Members
7639sp_Permalink sp_Print

Going through my gradually decreasing pile of unlistened to free records. Some of them it take out and ask myself why I picked it up, then I look at the tracklist and remember that they cover Beatles song on the record.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

4 May 2017
10.26pm
limitlessundyinglove
At the local Bird and Bee
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 347
7640sp_Permalink sp_Print

Listening to This Old Dog by Mac Demarco since they just unlocked the download on iTunes.  My friend got a vinyl copy three days ago so I have heard it twice already.  This is the best record I’ve heard so far this year.paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

Grooving some cookie spaghetti since 1968.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timothy
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694