Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
7 November 2013
8.48pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2261sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anthology 2 is lots of peoples favourite of the Anthology series. It was the one that disappointed me the most. High as the highs are – the whole Strawberry Fields sequence is remarkable. Too much of the second is taken up with “fakes” though – bits and pieces of various outtakes flung together to create new versions. I would rather they’d given more straight, uninterfered-with, outtakes.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 November 2013
11.46pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
2262sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
Anthology 2 is lots of peoples favourite of the Anthology series. It was the one that disappointed me the most. High as the highs are – the whole Strawberry Fields sequence is remarkable. Too much of the second is taken up with “fakes” though – bits and pieces of various outtakes flung together to create new versions. I would rather they’d given more straight, uninterfered-with, outtakes.

I agree on the editing thing.

But – stop the press – it will be the start of BBC Vol 2 tonight – I just picked it up.  Anthology 2 is postponed a few days.

PS – I like Anthology 1 most just from the track listings, all of that really early stuff is just amazing and I hadn’t heard ANY of it before.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

8 November 2013
12.31am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24959
2263sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Fool On The Hill Take 4 – as inspired by trcanberra + mja. 

A song in any other Beatles outtake is just as gorgeous. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 November 2013
1.34am
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
2264sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

I like Anthology 3  best of all the three. The Esher songs, a FAR better “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da ” with Paul at his dorkiest, an acoustic “While My Guitar Gently Weeps ,” “Get Back ” right at the end of the rooftop concert, “Yoko’s divorce has gone through,” an early “All Things Must Pass ” and “Teddy Boy ,” an a capella “Because ,” “The End ” as originally intended, George Martin’s “Dave Dee has left the group” speech… love that Anthology album.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

8 November 2013
3.43am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2265sp_Permalink sp_Print

wetsroosa said

mja6758 said

I like Anthology 3  best of all the three. The Esher songs, a FAR better “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da ” with Paul at his dorkiest, an acoustic “While My Guitar Gently Weeps ,” “Get Back ” right at the end of the rooftop concert, “Yoko’s divorce has gone through,” an early “All Things Must Pass ” and “Teddy Boy ,” an a capella “Because ,” “The End ” as originally intended, George Martin’s “Dave Dee has left the group” speech… love that Anthology album.

I’m with you on Anthology 3 , though it has to be said, it was George Harrison ‘s “Dave Dee… etc.”, and The End was a ’90s concoction of the type I objected to the amount of on Anthology 2 certainly not as “originally intended”, as “as intended” made Abbey Road .

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 November 2013
4.06am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2266sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Assuming you’re criticising us for admitting we didn’t like all the “official fakes” on Anthology 2 , and punning on Shakespeare’s “A rose by any other name”, I would agree except we both know how great the real outtakes are.

You can’t slam the crap Apple put out in one breath, and defend it in the next. What would you rather be the deluxe Sgt. Pepper if it ever arrived, the album and the Anthology creations, or the album and the Purple Chick revelations?

8 November 2013
8.42am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2267sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just finished Live At The BBC Vol 2 – disc 1.  My thoughts in the thread on that album.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

8 November 2013
9.49am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

mja6758 said

meanmistermustard said

Assuming you’re criticising us for admitting we didn’t like all the “official fakes” on Anthology 2 , and punning on Shakespeare’s “A rose by any other name”, I would agree except we both know how great the real outtakes are.

You can’t slam the crap Apple put out in one breath, and defend it in the next. What would you rather be the deluxe Sgt. Pepper if it ever arrived, the album and the Anthology creations, or the album and the Purple Chick revelations?

Erm , i wasnt criticising anyone. I was saying that The Fool On The Hill is a fabulous song in any outtake guise (well takes 1 and 4). Maybe i should have used “This” but hey-ho too late now, and Shakespeare didn’t and he knew what he was talking about. In my own world I also distinguish thru using “outfake” and “outtake” so outfakes don’t come into it here when i was posting, never even gave them a thought.

Personally i am not a fan of the outfakes, read my posts, probably in the anthology threads but elsewhere certainly, and you will find that out very quickly. I also detest on a massive scale what happened to Not Guilty (where they hacked away until it was a weeping mess lying in the corner whimpering at the brutality of its attack – i am amazed George let that out), the biggest piece of shit on any of the Anthologies and in the top 3 of shit they ever put out on record. 

As for the outtakes, i rarely go anywhere near them. Why listen to take 6 of Lucy with the lead guitar flown in from take 3, the bass from reduction mix 34, John’s vocal from a 1983 remix, and the Lowery organ section pieced together from takes 1, 3, 7, 6 & 4 when i have the Rock Band isolations which are way more interesting.

I will defend Apple for the little good they give us (Anthology-wise there is a bit when you rack it up (the true outtakes, a few of the live pieces, some demo’s) however the out-fakes are “meh” and i never want to see one released ever again), i think that’s fair. It’s safe to say it could have been so much better if someone with half a brain had been involved, instead we have Apple who haven’t got half a brain between them. 

That’s too much for a morning.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp1Atnr4bq6FvBlyZYQi0hvcweRADnm6Y0XcJpcV7rVtoGoRW7Image Enlarger

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 November 2013
10.46am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2269sp_Permalink sp_Print

My apologies, mmm. I just found it a hard post to understand. Which is why I said “assuming”, knowing – or at least assuming – that if I’d assumed wrong you’d write my wrong, and make all clear to understand. Which you did do, and I thank you that you did do. Glad I understand now. Makes more sense now.

8 November 2013
10.55am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2270sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
My apologies, mmm. I just found it a hard post to understand. Which is why I said “assuming”, knowing – or at least assuming – that if I’d assumed wrong you’d write my wrong, and make all clear to understand. Which you did do, and I thank you that you did do. Glad I understand now. Makes more sense now.

I’m glad you got it – the only bit I got was the pretty pink picture :)

8 November 2013
11.13am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

trcanberra said

mja6758 said

mja, no apologies needed. I imagine many of my posts are hard to understand. They make sense to me but that really means nothing.

trcanberra, hopefully mja was referring to the first as i’m not wanting to have to explain the explanation. The pretty pink picture is ultimately the most important.

There are quite a lot of nice images under a google image search for peace, i like this one as well

peace1.jpgImage Enlarger

8 November 2013
12.09pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2272sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

trcanberra said

mja6758 said

mja, no apologies needed. I imagine many of my posts are hard to understand. They make sense to me but that really means nothing.

trcanberra, hopefully mja was referring to the first as i’m not wanting to have to explain the explanation. The pretty pink picture is ultimately the most important.

I was referring to first, mmm.

Basically, tr, from what I understand, mmm was explaining that his first meant that, no matter how much crap Apple buries it in, and boy did they bury it crap “fakes”, The Fool On The Hill [take 4] is a great real outtake. And that he likes take 1 as well, which is also real.

8 November 2013
12.10pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2273sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Ah – thanks for the translation :)

8 November 2013
7.41pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2274sp_Permalink sp_Print

9 November 2013
3.55pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
2275sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pentatonix. So freaking talented. And so adorable in their fan greetings at the end, you just want to give them all a big squeeze.

feature=youtu.be

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

10 November 2013
9.20pm
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
2276sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m listening to this really fab band, not sure if anyone has ever heard of them…  they call themselves “The Beatles”.  a-hard-days-night-john-1

Today I am listening to the albums all the way though, only skipping maybe three songs, like “Mr. Moonlight” for example, because, just NO…  

Almost on Revolver  now.  heart

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

10 November 2013
9.34pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2277sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd. 

First time hearing and find it good but some instrumental sections go on a bit. I have the impression however that with repeat listens it will only get better as i tend to go into new bands with a bit of apprehension. To get thru and not be getting bored is good.

Earlier it was Simon & Garfunkels Bridge Over Troubled Water which is a great album tho the audience clapping along to Bye Bye Love is cringing, someone needs to mix that out.

11 November 2013
12.19am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2278sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd. 

First time hearing and find it good but some instrumental sections go on a bit. I have the impression however that with repeat listens it will only get better as i tend to go into new bands with a bit of apprehension. To get thru and not be getting bored is good.

Earlier it was Simon & Garfunkels Bridge Over Troubled Water which is a great album tho the audience clapping along to Bye Bye Love is cringing, someone needs to mix that out.

Nice one – two of my favourite albums.  Love the cover on the Pink Floyd.

11 November 2013
4.13am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
2279sp_Permalink sp_Print

LongHairedLady said
I’m listening to this really fab band, not sure if anyone has ever heard of them…  they call themselves “The Beatles”.  a-hard-days-night-john-1

Today I am listening to the albums all the way though, only skipping maybe three songs, like “Mr. Moonlight” for example, because, just NO…  

I’ve heard that the guys in that band are as good to the eyes as they are to the ears. Delectible combination.

11 November 2013
5.04pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2280sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

LongHairedLady said

I’ve heard that the guys in that band are as good to the eyes as they are to the ears. Delectible combination.

I’ve heard that only one was any good and the others were nothing more than talentless hacks who got lucky.apple02

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2856
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5515
Newest Members:
nickygrangery, pmolsen, thebeatlesshow, Boy Im Gonna Carry That Weight, Something
Moderators: Joe: 5692, meanmistermustard: 24959, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5692