Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Top 400 beatles Songs
15 August 2013
4.19pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 613
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

^ agreed with MMM. Plus, I like the way it ends the White Album in a final blaze of defiant experimentalism – you’ve been bombarded with every genre known to man over the course of the record, and the penultimate piece is this terrifying, cathartic piece of noise. To me Revolution #9 is the main reason the White Album has some cohesiveness, rather than being just a massive collection of very diverse pop songs; it’s the seal which holds them all together, the stamp that says “look, we’re doing literally EVERYTHING now. No holds barred.”

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'

15 August 2013
6.05pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

Hadn’t heard that full take 20 yet, thanks!

I don’t like Revolution 9 . It creeps the hell out of me and it’s the only ”song” by the Beatles which I don’t even have on my laptop. The thing that’s great about it is that they really didn’t seem to give a fuck and like is said, really makes the White Album even more diverse and shows they were able to do EVERYTHING. It’s not a nice song to listen to while relaxing and I think I won’t listen to it that often (never have), but I’m sure that people who are into that kind of thing think it’s great

15 August 2013
6.31pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080

Linde said

I don’t like Revolution 9 . It creeps the hell out of me and it’s the only ”song” by the Beatles which I don’t even have on my laptop. The thing that’s great about it is that they really didn’t seem to give a fuck and like is said, really makes the White Album even more diverse and shows they were able to do EVERYTHING. It’s not a nice song to listen to while relaxing and I think I won’t listen to it that often (never have), but I’m sure that people who are into that kind of thing think it’s great

Well, as a style of music I wouldn’t want any musicians to do it regularly, but I think it’s neat to try such experimentation at least once, just for the hell of it.  I like listening to it the few times I have because I feel like I am experiencing John and Paul really just indulging their completely free playful side, insouciant of any rules.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

15 August 2013
6.41pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Revolution 9 I’m not sure I can say I particularly like, but it has always fascinated me – the whole idea of it. It’s not something I turn off when it comes on (all the time), and is rarely hunted out in particular for a listen, but the idea of it… The most successful band in the world include on their album probably what remains the most widely distributed piece of “avant garde music” or “music concrete” EVER, maybe even the most widely owned piece of “avant garde art” ever. As a creation and example of its field, there is nothing that comes within millions of copies of its ownership.

Even those Beatles that doubted its inclusion should feel some kind of pride in that.

Revolution [take 20] is however, to my mind, one of their greatest achievements. A devastating recording that stands along the best of their experimentation. And, ooooh! those “Dada Mama” backing vocals! Probably the best unreleased Beatles recording!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 August 2013
6.46pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Funny Paper said

Linde said

Well, as a style of music I wouldn’t want any musicians to do it regularly, but I think it’s neat to try such experimentation at least once, just for the hell of it.  I like listening to it the few times I have because I feel like I am experiencing John and Paul really just indulging their completely free playful side, insouciant of any rules.

Sorry for the double post, are you talking Revolution 9 or Take 20 there FP, just that Paul had deserted John’s experiment by the time of Revolution 9 – George was the only other Beatle actively involved.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 August 2013
7.15pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members

Have now almost listened to the full take 20 thing. Great and fascinating stuff!

16 August 2013
1.06am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 450

Song #395

John Lennon – I Don’t Wanna Face It

Album: Milk And Honey

Released: January 27th 1984

Recorded: Geffen Recording Studios. August-Late 1980

http://youtu.be/677zKnhadus

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.”  John Lennon “Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.” The Tenth Doctor, The Lazarus Experiment.

16 August 2013
2.35am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Ive loved I Don’t Wanna Face It ever since first hearing. Easily one of my fave John tracks ever. Right from the silly count-in which John did thru-out his career to the great vocal and solo (really fits the song. More than likely this wouldn’t have been the released version if John hadn’t of been killed but its still fantastic.

Also think the lyrics are great, I see it being some kind of confessional, inner-looking lyric written by John during a low point when in the Dakota (when everything wasn’t pretty birds singing by the Kitchen window whilst John made amazing bread and Yoko was earning a fortune thru miraculous business deals).

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

16 August 2013
9.17am
LadyBay
Following The Sun
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 106

I had never heard that. Those lyrics are so John  – honest and uncompromising – love it.

"Try to realise it's all within yourself - no-one else can make you change"

16 August 2013
11.45am
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members

I hadn’t heard I Don’t Wanna Face It either. Really like the lyrics and the melody of the chorus – great vocal as per usual – but like with much of John’s solo stuff, I find the production very unappealing, takes a lot of bite out of the song.

16 August 2013
12.17pm
Mr Bellamy
Near Edinburgh
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 427

This is the first time i have heard that song.

Is it just me or does the guitar riff sound a little like the intro to Paul’s Coming Up .

"We can do what we want, we can live as we choose"

16 August 2013
1.00pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members

Now that you mention it, it does sound a lot like it! It’s no secret that John really liked Coming Up so perhaps it was a nod to Paul.

16 August 2013
3.24pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

Ben Ramon said
Now that you mention it, it does sound a lot like it! It’s no secret that John really liked Coming Up so perhaps it was a nod to Paul.

I think the guitar riff in “Beef Jerky” resembles the riff in “Let Me Roll It ,” so it might not be the first time John would have made a nod to Paul.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

16 August 2013
4.42pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members

Not a bad song, though it hasn’t aged too well imo. I’ll cut him some slack though, since this wasn’t a finished version from when he was alive. Love that silly count in and the vocals. Give it a fun atmosphere while the lyrics are very honest and personal too.

17 August 2013
1.18am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

Song #394

Paul McCartney Pipes Of Peace

Album: Pipes Of Peace

Released: October 31st 1983 (Album) December 5th 1983 (Single) (#1 (1/8/84) UK — (B-Side) US)

Recorded: AIR Studios, London. September-October 1982

http://youtu.be/fvNjApVCT1I

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.”  John Lennon “Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.” The Tenth Doctor, The Lazarus Experiment.

18 August 2013
1.25am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

Song #493

John Lennon – What You Got

Album: Walls And Bridges

Released: September 26th 1974

Recorded: Record Plant East. July-August 1974

http://youtu.be/Flf_eDG-owc

18 August 2013
10.24am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

What You Got has a good sound, little else to say.

Pipes Of Peace is a really good song with a really good video. I like all the different bits all stuck together, something Paul is great at, and his last solo number 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..7ErrZ-ipoE

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

18 August 2013
6.04pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members

What you got: Good sound indeed, vocals kind of scare me. Otherwise it’s a good song. Enjoyable.

Pipes Of Peace : Really good song.

18 August 2013
10.17pm
Beatles in the Blood
Nowhere Land
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 384

Pipes Of Peace is a great Paul song. And What You Got is one of my favorite John songs actually.

The Incedibly True Story THat Never Ends. By Sam.

Best Friend: WHat are you listening to

Me: The Beatles

Best Friend: Go Figure

19 August 2013
1.05am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

Song #392

Paul McCartney – Don’t Be Careless Love

Album:Flowers In The Dirt

Released: June 5th 1989

Recorded: Between September 1987- February 1989

http://youtu.be/Ut47j7sWbtk

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694