Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Things We Learned Today...
10 May 2020
8.24pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2821sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wrong Response To Being Called A Ginger:

The Hole Got Fixed said

AppleScruffJunior said

Our dear friend @The Hole Got Fixed is actually a ginger! It’s good to have representation on the forum.

I

Am

Not

A

Ginger

God do you even have eyespaul-mccartney

No offence to gingers out there… but my hair is brown

Right Response To Being Called A Ginger: 

“Golly gee! What a wonderful compliment, but oops I’m actually just an average joe with b o r i n g brown hair– but boy do I wish I was a ginger!!! Such beautiful flaming red hair– so rare, so exquisite, but only in my dreams alas ahdn_george_05

**This PSA was made by Rita’s Foundation for the Advancement of Redheaded Forumpudlians**

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, QuarryMan, William Shears Campbell

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

10 May 2020
9.30pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

ahdn_paul_06 I wish you’d been around when @Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< was active. She actually used to run like an international meet-up for redheads or something like that. a-hard-days-night-george-9

I think red hair is “super fecking dope,” or some such pimply teenage hyperbole heart

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

10 May 2020
11.43pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2823sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, I thoroughly agree red hair is super coola-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-john-6

However, I do not wish to infect your awesome club with my brown hair, and must make it very clear that my hair does not, although it would be nice to be, fit in your club.

Sorry if you read that post the wrong way @lovelyritametermaid – I was blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieing ASJ’s post for being factually incorrect.apple01

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars, lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

11 May 2020
4.36am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2824sp_Permalink sp_Print

The word in Irish for ‘ginger’ also means ‘rust’ and ‘copper’- now you know.

Rua

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

11 May 2020
6.48pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
2825sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said

AppleScruffJunior said

Our dear friend @The Hole Got Fixed is actually a ginger! It’s good to have representation on the forum.

I

Am

Not

A

Ginger

God do you even have eyespaul-mccartney

No offence to gingers out there… but my hair is brown

We already voted on this and you are in the minority. You could keep saying your hair is brown, Holey, but that won’t make you less of a ginger. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

11 May 2020
7.53pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
2826sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Yesterday I learned that my lowkey crush on Julie Andrews hasn’t waned a bit since I was eleven. ahdn_paul_01a-hard-days-night-paul-10

IT’S FINE I’M FINE IT’S JUST THE VENUSIAN CHARM GETTING IN MY EYES IS ALL. a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

I think most of the 1960s world agreed with you @Beatlebug. At the time, I leaned toward Shirley Jones in the movie musical crush department. The first time I heard the Beatles Till There Was You (from the Music Man) I experienced all sorts of feels.   

1ac1919e61ce0017fae794f1bc865354.jpgImage Enlarger

julie_andrews_18.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

11 May 2020
7.57pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
2827sp_Permalink sp_Print

My #1 movie musical crush = Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma Kelly in Chicago 

a-hard-days-night-paul-7a-hard-days-night-paul-7a-hard-days-night-paul-7

Beatlebug, sigh butterfly

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

11 May 2020
8.10pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
2828sp_Permalink sp_Print

sigh butterfly said

I think most of the 1960s world agreed with you @Beatlebug. At the time, I leaned toward Shirley Jones in the movie musical crush department. The first time I heard the Beatles Till There Was You (from the Music Man) I experienced all sorts of feels.     

Shirley Jones is a lovely woman but, as seen above, Julie Andrews isn’t just pretty, she has a certain charm that I can’t ughghghhahhhhhhssiiiigggghhhh a-hard-days-night-paul-7a-hard-days-night-paul-7a-hard-days-night-paul-7

I swear to god I am this close to being bisexual asfffff ahdn_paul_01

excuse me ahdn_george_06

lovelyritametermaid said

*googles* ah, I see, she’s very smexy indeed.

I’m personally not super into smexy as much as confidence, charisma, and the ability to wear clothes amazingly. Good hair is also fairly necessary. Before you call me shallow, I’m speaking purely about aesthetic appreciation. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

sigh butterfly

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

11 May 2020
8.22pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2829sp_Permalink sp_Print

No contest Jennifer Lopez is the most beautiful woman who has ever lived. I could watch Selena four times in a row just to watch her in that movie. 

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

sigh butterfly

11 May 2020
8.27pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
2830sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why is this now the “actress crushes” thread?ahdn_george_01

sigh butterfly

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

11 May 2020
8.30pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2831sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well it kind of fits because if people read those posts they’ll learn something

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

Beatlebug, sigh butterfly

11 May 2020
8.50pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
2832sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said 

lovelyritametermaid said

*googles* ah, I see, she’s very smexy indeed.

I’m personally not super into smexy as much as confidence, charisma, and the ability to wear clothes amazingly. Good hair is also fairly necessary. Before you call me shallow, I’m speaking purely about aesthetic appreciation. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

Excuse me but I would take a guess that someone has never seen Chicago before?!?! Velma Kelly has all the confidence and sexy charisma that any empowered woman can have! Seeing her dance and move in All That Jazz and Cell Block Tango and so on is stunning! She’s not just a femme fatale face– the girl has personality and looks!

sigh butterfly

||She/They ||

11 May 2020
9.47pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

lovelyritametermaid said

Excuse me but I would take a guess that someone has never seen Chicago before?!?! Velma Kelly has all the confidence and sexy charisma that any empowered woman can have! Seeing her dance and move in All That Jazz and Cell Block Tango and so on is stunning! She’s not just a femme fatale face– the girl has personality and looks!  

No, I haven’t seen Chicago and no, I wasn’t saying that she was *just* a pretty face, I don’t know her obviously! I spent all of fifteen seconds looking at image search results to see who you were talking about! What I meant was, overtly sexy/femme fatale is actually usually a turn-off for me (unless it’s David Bowie*). It’s complicated. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

*a-hard-days-night-paul-7

sigh butterfly, lovelyritametermaid, 50yearslate

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

11 May 2020
10.27pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
2834sp_Permalink sp_Print

As Necko might say…hmmma-hard-days-night-paul-7

original.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Beatlebug, Necko

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

14 May 2020
11.27am
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
2835sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today I learned that in 1983, the FDA fully banned “men who have sex with men” (aka gay and bisexual members of the male sex, also called MSM) from donating blood in reaction to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Their reasoning was that they were worried that the virus would get into the overall blood supply (which I guess was reasonable at the time). In 2015, 32 years later after the ban was put into place, the FDA lifted the lifetime ban. However, in order to donate blood, sexually active gay and bisexual men had to defer from any sexual activity for a year before their intended donation (which, err, I’m sorry but that sounds really wack to me– but more on that later). This 12-month-of-no-sex policy was finally amended very recently this year because of the current pandemic– the American Red Cross announced that it had a severe blood shortage since blood drives were canceled due to social distancing policy. Thus, on April 3, the FDA changed their policies on “men who have sex with men” donating blood, shortening the 12-month period of no sex requirement down to requiring gay/bi men to abstain from sexual activity for 3 months (which is better I guess in theory but like still very wack.) 

I think these policies are discriminatory and just outright illogical. There are so many gay/bi men out there who are healthy, ready, willing to donate blood in this time of crisis, but can’t because they may have been sexually active recently. Even if they are in a proven monogamous relationship and both of them have been tested negative for HIV/AIDS recently, they still are banned from donating blood unless they have deferred from sex.

HIV/AIDS prevention has made terrific strides since the 80’s. Testing has become way more accurate and thus the wait time is unnecessary because modern HIV testing can detect the virus within 9 days of infection. Also, the majority of gay men take preventative drugs like PrEP or Desovy, which is more than 99% effective in preventing HIV transmission! Aaaannnnddddd all blood transfusions test for HIV before they are used anyways! This policy put into place by the FDA just generates so much unnecessary stigma around gay/bi men! It’s just so mind-bogglingly unfair, not to mention dehumanizing! Not to mention– HIV/AIDS isn’t something that only gay/bi men can get– any member of the human race can get infected, including heterosexual people (though it is true that gay/bi men are more at risk, however as said before there are so many preventative measures taken today that such a fact is not entirely applicable). Scientists specializing in HIV/AIDS, as well as other health fields themselves, have repeatedly stated to the FDA that their ban is not based on any modern medicinal concern or reason and that it’s just a policy based on outdated medicine and stigma and stereotypes. I do believe that screening for HIV/AIDS risk is essential and important, however, I believe that MSM shouldn’t be targeted like they are today, especially to such an extent as to require them to abstain from sexual activity, even if such is monogamous. Advocates have also noted that straight men who are frequently sexually active with multiple partners are just as at risk as any sexually active gay man. 

And America isn’t the only country with such a discriminatory ban– the UK had a 12-year deferral window until 2017, where they changed it to a 3-month deferral window, whereas Northern Ireland still enforces a 12-year deferral window. 

In conclusion, I just really want my government to focus purely on scientific and medical reasoning, data, and evidence so that more people can receive blood in their time of need. There’s a significant blood shortage right now, and changing the ban in the States from 12-year deferral to a 3-month deferral for MSM doesn’t change that much at all in the grand scheme of things. Why prevent healthy and willing individuals from donated blood just based on the fact that they happen to be gay? Even if they are undoubtedly proven multiple times to have tested negative for any HIV/AIDS?  

(There’s a lot of other information on the topic, which can be found here)

Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, QuarryMan

||She/They ||

14 May 2020
12.11pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
2836sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 yes

lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

14 May 2020
1.59pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2837sp_Permalink sp_Print

The beginnings of the AIDS/HIV pandemic are a great example of lessons that should have been learnt.

We were lucky back then – high mortality rate until we started to find treatments, but extremely low transmission rate because the vast majority of transmission was blood to blood. Despite what we might think now, we’re also quite lucky with the current pandemic. It is a good wake-up call about how we prepare for future pandemics. Imagine if we facing something that spread as easily as measles and had ebola’s mortality rate…

But, yes, we still see exactly the same mistakes, prejudices, and political games playing out.

Back then the cry of the bigots was to call it the “gay plague”, today it’s the “China virus” that’s the dog whistle for a certain kind of politics. The demonising is exactly the same, just a different target.

And you see the same with politicians then and now playing politics with the medical advice.

Back then, it AIDS/HIV offered the religious right a “free-pass” to gay bash and discriminate, which worked well for those countries that had conservative governments such as the US (Reagan) and the UK (Thatcher). Then twisting the medical opinion allowed for discrimination to be legislated for, as in who can give blood. As in many circumstances that involve religion and politics, it is no surprise Northern Ireland is still the most draconian.

Now it’s about whether the medical advice should be followed – President Trump attacks one of his main medical advisers for telling the House that States relaxing the lockdown too soon, before they meet the Federal advice, risk a second, possibly more deadly, wave while applauding the 34 States that have ignored his Government’s advice and asking more States to do the same, and just because a medical lockdown doesn’t suit his reelection campaign.

But there is also good – no, great – news in the story of AIDS/HIV. It was a new virus to humans, same as COVID-19 is now, it was very frightening with no medical treatments in sight, but with time they found them, and it’s a long time since it’s been a death sentence. It may take time, time that doesn’t fit political cycles, but just as those doctors then found a way for us to live with the virus, I believe they will now.

Just fuck the politicians and their games. Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, QuarryMan

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 May 2020
6.41pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2838sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah yes, one of those reminders that while everyone likes to think there’s no more discrimination against LGBTQI+ people in most Western Countries, it still definitely exists.

You can tell a lot about someone, or an organisation (or a government) and their true feelings by how they react to stuff. You start having massive blood shortages, and what’s the Red Cross’ reaction? They reduce the length of abstinence required, to… 3 months. And they wonder why they have blood shortages! If they actually wanted us to donate they wouldn’t have any period of abstinence, but their 1950s views towards MSM gets in the way and they’d rather not have us donate at all but they can’t be seen these days to have an exorbitant time requirement so this is their solution.

a-hard-days-night-paul-3blue-meanie

And how are they going to know if someone has had sex anyway? I mean, what happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom, so I can’t see why anyone who wants to donate wouldn’t lie.

But the sheer fact that they need to lie is beyond belief.

/rant

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

16 May 2020
11.39am
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2839sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said
Today I learned that in 1983, the FDA fully banned “men who have sex with men” (aka gay and bisexual members of the male sex, also called MSM) from donating blood in reaction to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Their reasoning was that they were worried that the virus would get into the overall blood supply (which I guess was reasonable at the time). In 2015, 32 years later after the ban was put into place, the FDA lifted the lifetime ban. However, in order to donate blood, sexually active gay and bisexual men had to defer from any sexual activity for a year before their intended donation (which, err, I’m sorry but that sounds really wack to me– but more on that later). This 12-month-of-no-sex policy was finally amended very recently this year because of the current pandemic– the American Red Cross announced that it had a severe blood shortage since blood drives were canceled due to social distancing policy. Thus, on April 3, the FDA changed their policies on “men who have sex with men” donating blood, shortening the 12-month period of no sex requirement down to requiring gay/bi men to abstain from sexual activity for 3 months (which is better I guess in theory but like still very wack.) 

I think these policies are discriminatory and just outright illogical. There are so many gay/bi men out there who are healthy, ready, willing to donate blood in this time of crisis, but can’t because they may have been sexually active recently. Even if they are in a proven monogamous relationship and both of them have been tested negative for HIV/AIDS recently, they still are banned from donating blood unless they have deferred from sex.

HIV/AIDS prevention has made terrific strides since the 80’s. Testing has become way more accurate and thus the wait time is unnecessary because modern HIV testing can detect the virus within 9 days of infection. Also, the majority of gay men take preventative drugs like PrEP or Desovy, which is more than 99% effective in preventing HIV transmission! Aaaannnnddddd all blood transfusions test for HIV before they are used anyways! This policy put into place by the FDA just generates so much unnecessary stigma around gay/bi men! It’s just so mind-bogglingly unfair, not to mention dehumanizing! Not to mention– HIV/AIDS isn’t something that only gay/bi men can get– any member of the human race can get infected, including heterosexual people (though it is true that gay/bi men are more at risk, however as said before there are so many preventative measures taken today that such a fact is not entirely applicable). Scientists specializing in HIV/AIDS, as well as other health fields themselves, have repeatedly stated to the FDA that their ban is not based on any modern medicinal concern or reason and that it’s just a policy based on outdated medicine and stigma and stereotypes. I do believe that screening for HIV/AIDS risk is essential and important, however, I believe that MSM shouldn’t be targeted like they are today, especially to such an extent as to require them to abstain from sexual activity, even if such is monogamous. Advocates have also noted that straight men who are frequently sexually active with multiple partners are just as at risk as any sexually active gay man. 

And America isn’t the only country with such a discriminatory ban– the UK had a 12-year deferral window until 2017, where they changed it to a 3-month deferral window, whereas Northern Ireland still enforces a 12-year deferral window. 

In conclusion, I just really want my government to focus purely on scientific and medical reasoning, data, and evidence so that more people can receive blood in their time of need. There’s a significant blood shortage right now, and changing the ban in the States from 12-year deferral to a 3-month deferral for MSM doesn’t change that much at all in the grand scheme of things. Why prevent healthy and willing individuals from donated blood just based on the fact that they happen to be gay? Even if they are undoubtedly proven multiple times to have tested negative for any HIV/AIDS?  

(There’s a lot of other information on the topic, which can be found here)

How absolutely fecking stupid that is. I genuinely don’t understand how some people could read this and think “yes, it makes sense, what a reasonable policy this is.” Fecking stupid. If they’re really worried about HIV/AIDS they should just test everyone before accepting blood (or maybe test the blood itself after it’s been given, if that’s possible? I don’t know what would be more realistic) and not be exclusively cruel to non-hetero men. How truly terrible.

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

16 May 2020
11.53am
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
2840sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

lovelyritametermaid said

[Super long rant] 

How absolutely fecking stupid that is. I genuinely don’t understand how some people could read this and think “yes, it makes sense, what a reasonable policy this is.” Fecking stupid. If they’re really worried about HIV/AIDS they should just test everyone before accepting blood (or maybe test the blood itself after it’s been given, if that’s possible? I don’t know what would be more realistic) and not be exclusively cruel to non-hetero men. How truly terrible.

It is possible to test afterwards and literally they already do test the blood afterwards all the time! I wrote somewhere in my ~rant~ about it– before they make a transfusion the blood is always tested for HIV/AIDS, which makes their current policies towards gay/bi men even more ridiculous! 

||She/They ||

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Something
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694