Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Things We Learned Today...
15 November 2019
12.10pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2681sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

Beatlebug said

Oh poor @50yearslate it’s taken you this long? a-hard-days-night-john-6 yes, he was making a double meaning of record-revolutions and his age at the time.

paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

It’s OK, Fiddy. Isn’t it nice to still be able to learn new things about the Beatles! They still surprise me all the time.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

50yearslate, Beatlebug, Getbackintheussr, WeepingAtlasCedars
15 November 2019
6.14pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
2682sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bless you @Ahhh Girl I love your outlook a-hard-days-night-george-9heart

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Ahhh Girl, 50yearslate, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

16 November 2019
12.07pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2683sp_Permalink sp_Print

Side D of the double LP of The Beatles’ Live At The BBC is 33:40.

And if you think that’s crazy, Meat Loaf’s 75 minute long Bat Out Of Hell II was released on a single LP, with side A being 40:37 and side B being 35:01. Don’t know why they decided to do this as 75 minutes is perfect for a double LP.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

21 November 2019
7.09am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2684sp_Permalink sp_Print

Antarctica’s original name was Terra Australis, which is what Australia took it’s name from.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

50yearslate, Beatlebug

22 November 2019
8.58pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

I just 1) recalled the bassline and 2) learned the rhythm guitar part from All My Loving (I still can’t play the latter at speed), and I have to say, I think I’ve learned that John Lennon had SERIOUS rhythm chops. Holey houses. a-hard-days-night-paul-7 (I would say I also learned that the Beatles were arrangement geniuses, but I’m pretty sure I already knew that, I had just forgotten a bit. a-hard-days-night-paul-10)

The Hole Got Fixed, Dark Overlord, vonbontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

25 November 2019
10.33am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2686sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
I just 1) recalled the bassline and 2) learned the rhythm guitar part from All My Loving (I still can’t play the latter at speed), and I have to say, I think I’ve learned that John Lennon had SERIOUS rhythm chops. Holey houses. a-hard-days-night-paul-7 (I would say I also learned that the Beatles were arrangement geniuses, but I’m pretty sure I already knew that, I had just forgotten a bit. a-hard-days-night-paul-10)

All My Loving has been highlighted as one of John’s best rhythm guitar playings. I think he was also damn proud of it, pretty sure there is a quote from him on it. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 November 2019
11.09am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445

Dark Overlord said
Side D of the double LP of The Beatles’ Live At The BBC is 33:40.

And if you think that’s crazy, Meat Loaf’s 75 minute long Bat Out Of Hell II was released on a single LP, with side A being 40:37 and side B being 35:01. Don’t know why they decided to do this as 75 minutes is perfect for a double LP.

And now I’ve learned something today! For years I’ve been claiming the longest-side title for Todd Rundgren’s 1975 “Initiation”, about 36 minutes and change, and I’ve made that claim right here on the forum. 

40 minutes is nuts! Record-cutting technology has advanced. And yeah, it does seem like double vinyl would’ve been the way to go – maybe a sales decision.

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

25 November 2019
11.46am
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2688sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Beatlebug said

All My Loving has been highlighted as one of John’s best rhythm guitar playings. I think he was also damn proud of it, pretty sure there is a quote from him on it. 

As he should be! It’s legendary.

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

27 November 2019
11.27am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2689sp_Permalink sp_Print

Easter occurs the Sunday after the first full moon of spring, which can happen from March 22nd to April 25th, and it’s not a federally recognized holiday.

27 November 2019
1.00pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2690sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, that’s actually pretty interesting. I wonder if any strictly religious holidays are recognized? Surely Christmas is?

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

27 November 2019
2.18pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2691sp_Permalink sp_Print

These are the only official federal holidays in the US:

New Years Day (January 1st)

Martin Luther King Jr. Day (4th Monday of January)

President’s Day (3rd Monday of February)

Memorial Day (Last Monday of May)

Independence Day (July 4th)

Labor Day (First Monday of September)

Columbus Day (2nd Monday of October)

Veteran’s Day (2nd Monday of November)

Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November)

Christmas (December 25th)

Out of all of these, Christmas is the only religious holiday.

But what’s also interesting is the meaning behind these holidays. Out of these 10 holidays, 8 of them have something to do with America with 1 for the president, 2 for the military, and 3 for our founding plus 1 for racial equality and 1 for the American worker. The only 2 official holidays that are unrelated to America is Christmas (a celebration of the “official” birth of Jesus Christ) and New Years Day (the 1st day of the year) and those 2 plus Independence Day are the only 3 that are on a set date.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Beatlebug

27 November 2019
5.58pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2692sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hm. I don’t like that. Every non-Christian person in the US has to observe a holiday they don’t celebrate while their own holidays are ignored? Really? I thought religion and state were supposed to be separate 🙁

The Hole Got Fixed

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

27 November 2019
6.08pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
2693sp_Permalink sp_Print

No one’s forcing you to observe a holiday you don’t celebrate; it mostly just means you get an extra paid day off. Christmas is more of a secular institution at this point anyway, and it’s such a big deal culturally that it would be weirder if the US didn’t recognize it; most agnostic or atheist Americans, and even some of other religions, celebrate Christmas as well as Christian Americans.

Apparently there was a court ruling over this in 1999 which came to largely the same conclusion I did.

Wigwam

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

27 November 2019
6.24pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members

But that’s what I meant when I said they were forced to observe it. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather have paid days off on the holidays I celebrate than those I don’t. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

To be clear, I don’t necessarily think that Christmas shouldn’t be a federally observed holiday, I just think that if it is they should recognize other ones too.

The Hole Got Fixed

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

27 November 2019
7.32pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2695sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
But that’s what I meant when I said they were forced to observe it. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather have paid days off on the holidays I celebrate than those I don’t. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

To be clear, I don’t necessarily think that Christmas shouldn’t be a federally observed holiday, I just think that if it is they should recognize other ones too.

Totally agree. Catholicism isn’t the only religion, it would be appropriate to recognise some other major religions… you know, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism…

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

50yearslate

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

27 November 2019
9.05pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

I grew up with Christmas…….I’ve always loved the delicious anticipation of it….Still do, though there’s not much for me to anticipate anymore.

School in December was always a happy time…..I suspect even our teachers took a vicarious pleasure from our excited joy and the timelessness of the carols we all sang together. In the midst of whipping  us into a Christmas frenzy they would do their duty too……..Our teachers always said, ‘Now children remember on Christmas morning it’s not about the presents under the tree it’s about the little baby Jesus…..”

Well though we all chorused ‘Yes Miss Crayon we will’ In my guilty heart I knew it was ALL about the presents for yours truly.

As you get older the personal anticipation fades and you can only relive it if you’re lucky enough to view it through the eyes of your own young children.

Times change…….

Christmas was never something that needed to be defended…..Because it was never attacked.

The first I can recall was about 20 years ago when a ‘woke’ Oxfam banned Christmas decorations in it’s charity stores….Didn’t want to offend other religions they said…Well fuck ’em that offended me! Not stepped in an Oxfam store since.

Before I get set on a negative train of thought……..I want to give the example of Thailand.

Here we celebrate everything…..Buddhist, Animist Thailand have their own religious days but they celebrate everything else……Their New Year, Our New Year, Chinese New Year…Valentines, Christmas, Easter, Halloween..Thanksgiving, Diwali etc etc….

OK the Thais are cute to the financial opportunities……But they throw themselves into everything with full vigour…..And respect.

My message would be……Let’s celebrate all religious holidays like the Thais do..I’m fine with that….BUT stop this trend of diluting and apologising for our own Christian Christmas Season.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Beatlebug
27 November 2019
9.29pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
2697sp_Permalink sp_Print

@50yearslate said

The question is, are these holidays major enough as cultural American events to warrant federal recognition? The reason Christmas is a big enough cultural deal is because America was (and still is, to a lesser extent) made up of a majority of Christians, leading to what is arguably Christianity’s biggest holiday* becoming ingrained in the culture to the point of secularity, whereas holidays such as Ramadan or Hanukkah are still predominantly religious in nature and practiced by a relative minority. I have no problem with other holidays being recognized, but only if there is good reason to do so, and I would consider “good reason” to be when enough of a majority of people celebrate them so that they become part of America’s cultural institutions rather than specifically being just religious holidays. It’s kind of a numbers thing; culture is rather democratic in that whatever trend has the most (and loudest) people behind it will be considered mainstream. And, really, when all is said and done, it’s about getting a paid day off more than anything. We already have many protections in place for religious institutions/practitioners and workers, so I doubt the lack of federal recognition for, say, Hanukkah is presenting a huge practical problem with getting off work to practicing Jews.

TL;DR: when it comes down to it, despite being of Christian origin, Christmas is a cultural holiday more than anything for the majority of Americans… others are more specifically religious and don’t have enough secular cultural clout to warrant federal recognition.

also @The Hole Got Fixed I think you meant Christianity when you said Catholicism…?

*There are those who will make the case for Easter, but Christmas is, I believe, rather more secular than Easter at this point, for whatever reason, so I would argue that Christmas is Christianity’s most successful holiday insofar as it has infiltrated the general culture.

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

27 November 2019
10.06pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2698sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whoa. What is all this? @Wigwam I am not trying to attack Christmas. There is nothing wrong with Christmas. It is a lovely holiday. All I am saying is that it would be nice if it were acknowledged that there are non-Christians in the United States and their holidays were given an equal amount of respect? Just because less people celebrate a holiday doesn’t mean it is less special or less worthy of being observed. 

And Beatlebug, I know why Christmas is so widely recognized and I know that the United States is predominantly Protestant Christian, but it is not purely Protestant Christian and implying that holidays which are not Protestant Christian are somehow less worthy of being federally recognized is a little bit insulting. (As for Hanukkah presenting a problem to practicing Jews, I can’t speak from personal experience, but I imagine it’s a bit more difficult to negotiate for eight paid days of leave which are not a right granted by the federal government is a bit tougher than taking your offered day of leave for Christmas.)

Anyway, to be clear, I don’t have a problem with celebrating Christmas and I’m not trying to attack any religions or cultures; I just think the government should acknowledge the validity of religious holidays besides Christmas. 

(P.S. The holiday season is always fun at school, Wigwam, but it is generally pretty Christmas-oriented and if you celebrate another holiday such as, say, Hanukkah, that can be pretty awkward 🙁 )

(P.P.S. Totally unrelated and not especially important but has anyone noticed the disappointing lack of Hanukkah songs? All these Christmas songs and all there is for Hanukkah is the dreidel song… I wonder why that is)

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

27 November 2019
11.12pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2699sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
also @The Hole Got Fixed I think you meant Christianity when you said Catholicism…?

paul-mccartney-facepalm_gifpaul-mccartney-facepalm_gifpaul-mccartney-facepalm_gifYep… Of course I did!

No one’s attacking Christmas, Wigwam. We are simply calling for more (hell, equal!) recognition for the other religious holidays.

Basically, even though it isn’t necessarily  holiday for the majority, it would also help change the negative attitudes to the other religions over time, purely by fact of having a holiday. Just for this reason I would advocate for at least one day of Hannukah and Ramadan, as well as Holi and Chinese New Year (which isn’t just Chinese) being a public holiday, to name a few.

Honestly there are too many public holidays that don’t really mean much, at least these days – swap Labor Day for, say, Chinese New Year. I feel like that’s a good net result – more minority recognition, the public still get paid holidays, and there aren’t too many public holidays that bog down the economy (or whatever the reason is for not having 28 holidays like Cambodia)

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

50yearslate

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

28 November 2019
2.01am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

Not getting at anyone here…..(in particular)…..I was stating a general gripe…..Criticising Christmas began with the bloody Puritans…The Pilgrim Fathers too…..Surprised it’s survived it’s own ‘congregation’s’ attempts to scupper it…But it has…… 

No one is attacking Christmas here, other than to voice a criticism of the unfairness of the prominence of a traditional  Christmas holiday…. (in  predominantly Christian countries) when there are so many other non Christian religious festivals……. it’s a fair point…… but……I’d wager no one here would dare voice a criticism of any kind… of a celebration of a non Christian tradition….

I’m not someone to encourage One-eyed-wokeness………. Not my cup of tea.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694