Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Things We Learned Today...
8 July 2019
11.02pm
Tangerine
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1276
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Beatlebug said
Earth is mostly composed of green fudge.

I’m not kidding, Earth is mostly mantle and the mantle is technically rock but it’s basically green fudge.

I suppose that makes the core molten lava chocolate cake.

The following people thank Tangerine for this post:

50yearslate, Beatlebug
9 July 2019
5.37am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
2622sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Earth is mostly composed of green fudge.

I’m not kidding, Earth is mostly mantle and the mantle is technically rock but it’s basically green fudge.

Considering how awful green gold was, I don’t fancy tasting green fudge. 

Paul’s lack of appearance in the video for ‘When We Was Fab’ was because he was working on the ‘Tropical Island Hum’ cartoon. Another example of great 80’s decision making by Paul. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 July 2019
10.57am
TheWalrusWasBrian
fell off the roof AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
2623sp_Permalink sp_Print

Shows that you can always trust Ringo but Paul is a little iffy on that.

The following people thank TheWalrusWasBrian for this post:

Beatlebug, Shamrock Womlbs

IMG_3978.PNG|badge1.png | I don’t know how to put it here. hello for the love of god hello 

~~~

The Concert for Bageldesh

~~~

Walrian here! Not Fiddy, or anyone else, actually.

31 July 2019
5.34pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2624sp_Permalink sp_Print

A first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is worth a feck load of money!!!! A copy from the first run of 500 copies, sold by a library 20 years ago for £1, sold for £28,500 today.

a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-ringo-13a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

50yearslate

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

2 August 2019
4.13am
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 913
2625sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
A first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is worth a feck load of money!!!! A copy from the first run of 500 copies, sold by a library 20 years ago for £1, sold for £28,500 today.

I was wondering when the first film may have been released in the UK, and it was November 2001. I can’t recall if Pottermania was particularly feverent in 1999, but you can’t help but think if the library had held onto the book for a couple more years, they’d have been able to sell it for more than £1.

Unfortunate timing, indeed.

The following people thank Tony Japanese for this post:

Beatlebug
13 August 2019
2.16pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2626sp_Permalink sp_Print

Although the London bridge used to be where you’d expect it, it’s been in Arizona since 1971.

Here’s a more interesting one i learned last night:

The “medium” gauge for acoustic guitar is 13-56, that’s a lot of tension.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Beatlebug

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

17 August 2019
3.24pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2627sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

I have a first edition of Goblet of Fire, guess how much it’s worth?

About £6- hell yes.

I also have firsts for 5-7 but they aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on.

Potter stuff I do have that is worth some quid are 4 limited edition 3D cups that were released to promote the Chamber of Secrets that I got at a local supermarket- I think most people threw them out as they’re worth about £15 each now. I ALMOST have a complete set, am missing Harry and Malfoy flying. I have a few other bits and bobs that are  probably worth about £100-£150 all together but the cups are the most valuable.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

(I have 2 of the ‘Hogwarts staff’ ones).

Today I learned:

Ethiopia is considered by some scholars to be the only African country never colonised. Italy occupied it from 1936-1941 but they never colonised it.

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

18 August 2019
1.19pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2628sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Meanies have six fingers on each hand.

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Richard, Dark Overlord, William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug, SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

18 August 2019
1.26pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2629sp_Permalink sp_Print

Colonel Decker who repeatedly failed to capture the A-Team was a body double for Elvis Presley. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

19 August 2019
7.58pm
Richard
North of England
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5274

Ginger Baker turns 80 – happy birthday for 19 August!

Here’s ‘Badge’, written by Eric Clapton and George Harrison (with possible lyrical contributions from Ringo Starr ):

The following people thank Richard for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

And in the end

The love you take is equal to the love you make

uk-flag-v-small-3.png

20 August 2019
11.17am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
2631sp_Permalink sp_Print

The tracks on The Magical Mystery Tour UK EP are not in the same order as side one of the US album.  Also the US album came out before the UK EP.

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

28 August 2019
3.24pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2632sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ringo’s favorite White Album song is Yer Blues .

Beatlebug

11 September 2019
2.02pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2633sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Pentagon is part of Virginia, not D.C.

QuarryMan, Beatlebug

16 September 2019
5.45pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2634sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ben Shapiro hates The Beatles, once placing them on par with rap music.

16 September 2019
5.50pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Dark Overlord said

I didn’t know Ben Shapiro existed until that post. From the little I’ve read about him since I have zero desire to ever meet as he sounds like a prat – and that’s not down to him disliking the Beatles. For that I do not care.

16 September 2019
6.42pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
2636sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Dark Overlord said

I didn’t know Ben Shapiro existed until that post. From the little I’ve read about him since I have zero desire to ever meet as he sounds like a prat – and that’s not down to him disliking the Beatles. For that I do not care.

Ben Shapiro is the stupid person’s idea of what a smart person is. The less you know about him, the better a-hard-days-night-john-6

Also, he doesn’t think rap is music because he thinks music has to have rhythm, melody AND harmony to be considered music (with his logic being that hip hop has only rhythm, which isn’t even true in itself) which would mean… someone playing a drum solo or someone singing without backing also wouldn’t be considered music.

Something for the ‘pet peeves’ thread: when someone dislikes a piece of art, but instead of critiquing it on its own terms, try to argue that it isn’t art. It’s just a lazy form of criticism. 

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

16 September 2019
6.49pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

I think he’s a twat too, a man who thinks saying things fast and debating college students instead of big guns, makes him out to be some clever man*. 

One of the stupidest comments he’s ever made was calling FDR “garbage for the economy”. The man was the greatest president the US has had since Lincoln and probably ever will have (he’s No. 1 in my books). I’d love to see Shapiro suggest better ways on how to run an economy during extreme wartime. FDR also greatly helped the people who were most affected by the Depression, which Calvin and Hoover (both Republicans) let happen! Is it a case of “f**k the poor” with him? We don’t want the poor to have suitable housing, a minimum wage, social security or to not be discriminated against (as much as you could do in the 1940’s), do we Ben? They brought their poverty on themselves! Not all of us have mommies and daddies who work in Hollywood 🙁 .

*I’ve always wanted to take him on on the topic of abortion, it’s one of my dreams in life. 

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

QuarryMan

16 September 2019
7.25pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2638sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s hard to say FDR was a good president because he’s the root of most modern day racism here in the US.

You see, back in 1933, he enacted the New Deal, a series of programs and reforms designed to help people out after the depression. However, only people living in predominantly white neighborhoods were able to receive these benefits while people in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods weren’t allowed to participate in these programs and therefore white people prospered while blacks didn’t. By the time this finally ended in 1968, whites were much financially better off than racial minorities and because of this, it’s harder for minorities to get a better education because they often live in shitty neighborhood, which forces some to turn to illegal activity and that gives people the stereotype that blacks are more likely to commit crime even though the only reason the black crime rates are so high is because black and Hispanic neighborhoods are so shitty because of the New Deal FDR enacted.

And on top of all that, he also placed Japanese Americans into internment camps during World War II (but not German Americans).

If you’d like to further this discussion, it’s probably best we do it in another thread.

QuarryMan

17 September 2019
5.55pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
2639sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well it’s all learning isn’t it? I’m sure a lot of people here don’t know what FDR achieved. 

I disagree with your points on him being “the root of most modern day racism”. America has a problem with race which has been there since Columbus and will probably always be there. I’m not really qualified to speak on race issues in America though and I don’t particularly want to talk about a country’s racial issues that are so different to Ireland’s. 

You are placing 21st century ideas of race and integration on an America that existed 86-74 years ago, if you were to go back to 1930’s USA, Roosevelt’s plans of placing black Americans in their own areas/ghettos would have been accepted by most of the white population to protect the value of their property and to deter crime in their own areas (as they saw it). We do also know that areas which weren’t affected by Jim Crow laws and that had happy mixed societies, still had housing areas based on race constructed- which yes, is awful.

Yes the US’ treatment of the Japanese American* population during WW2 was abhorrent, especially as the majority were citizens of the US. It came across from a nationwide grip of panic (does that sound familiar in 2019?) that significantly halted and made Japanese families lose a lot of their wealth (in property in particular). Looking at US opinion polls of the Japanese people during WW2, Roosevelt’s actions had a majority support from the American public.

Yes FDR’s presidency had problems with racial issues and indeed they did increase the racial divide that the US had but a divide had already existed before FDR, were deepened during his presidency, and continue to be exasperated to this day.

HOWEVER:

Thanks to FDR:

Social security

Rural electrification 

He greatly improved infrastructure nationwide to such a scale that hasn’t been seen since.

Expanded National Parks

Your savings in the bank are now insured by the Federal Government up to a certain amount.

Along with a load of other things that I will type out if you ask for them.

Like every single president, there were scandals- his threat of Supreme Court packing, internment camps and many, many others but FDR’s positives effects on the US are still very much visible and the country is better off because of him. FDR left office on 70% appreciation rating, the likes of that will most likely never be seen again as the US has become so politically divided.

To call him “not a good president”, goes against the vast majority of historians’ and economists’ opinion on Roosevelt, he may not be your favourite president- but he definitely deserves a spot in everyone’s top 5, or at the very least top 10- because there have been truly AWFUL men who were president so they take up your bottom 8 or some places. The only way I think you could actively say you hate Roosevelt is if you are a very rich, privileged person who has never fallen or knows someone who’s fallen on hard times.

*People always seem to forget about German and Italian emigrants that were also interred albeit on a lesser basis as they were interviewed. 

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

QuarryMan

18 September 2019
5.15pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
2640sp_Permalink sp_Print

This discussion was a joy to read guys, FDR is definitely an interesting president so any discussion of him has to be pretty nuanced to be fair. There are definitely criticisms to be made of FDR’s racial policies, but I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s the root of modern racism. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

AppleScruffJunior

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691