Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
12 March 2016
8.32am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15181sp_Permalink sp_Print

I felt the need to explain what I thought “drivel” looks like so as to clear the air. When the Ringo is a freakin’ cutie pie (he is after all) conversation started turning into silliness about heights, then I began getting miffed. This is what I would like to see happen in a situation like that. If someone wants to have a “side” discussion like that, then a PM thread with interested parties would be best OR bring the conversation to this thread (in moderation…we don’t want 3 pages of the same drivel conversation, but a few posts to get it out of your system would be fine). That way the “topic” conversation stays on topic.

Discussion on this idea is welcome.

12 March 2016
8.49am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
15182sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think that “teenage girls sleepover” topics are fine as long as they are Beatles related like talking about the Beatles hair or their looks. That would probably be what most of the beatlemaniacs_02_giffan girls would talk about among themselves.

I feel it’s best to have a mix all flavors of Beatles topics.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

12 March 2016
9.31am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
15183sp_Permalink sp_Print

I couldn’t agree more, a mix is always good.

However, and I am not criticising any individual here, when they are the only conversations going on, and are spread across multiple threads, the image is portrayed to those looking in and considering joining us that that is what this forum is all about.

We know better than that.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

12 March 2016
10.29am
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1808
15184sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can’t just tell people you dislike something without taking any action to fix the problem.

If people are moronic enough to join a forum without reading through the threads then it’s their own fault if it’s not what they expected. 

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

12 March 2016
11.14am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
15185sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

The issue for me is that its not one thread that those conversations are happening in, its a number and it gets, and has gotten tiresome. Personally I have stopped reading threads and even at times just wandered off as its difficult reading 3 or 4 threads of such and wanting to continue thru the others. 

I am all in favour of the forum having a mix and there being some silliness in amongst it all but there should be a balance and in my opinion that balance is currently off. If you want them to continue in the same vein cant you do it thru PM or email?

One request is can we leave the old threads dead if they offer nothing in terms of actual sensible discussion instead of resurrecting them for the sake of it or because no one has posted within the last 2 hours. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ron Nasty

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 March 2016
11.21am
Evangeline
Candlestick Park
Members
15186sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, but what defines sensible discussions? A sensible discussion to one party might not be to others. Since no one has started a “sensibly” interesting discussion that means people most likely don’t care enough to start one. 

12 March 2016
11.21am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
15187sp_Permalink sp_Print

One request is can we leave the old threads dead if they offer nothing in terms of actual sensible discussion instead of resurrecting them for the sake of it or because no one has posted within the last 2 hours. 

Instead you could just post what ever sound goes into your ear in the listening thread, much less work and it gets the same effect.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

12 March 2016
11.30am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
15188sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

[EDIT: In response to post 15184 by Evangeline.]

Agreed.

My comment last night (for me) I did not expect to cause as much response and debate as it has. I just made a personal observation on my feeling on looking in on the conversations last night, merely intended as a passing remark.

I realise our younger members are going to have conversations that don’t particularly interest me, and that doesn’t bother me in the least. That it as it should be. Not every thread is going to work for everyone.

However, our younger members have always made interesting and insightful contributions to the forum as a whole, which has balanced out the conversations that do interest me and those that don’t. That mix of different types of conversation makes the forum work for everyone.

Expressing concern that that mix of conversation is leaning too far one way or another IS doing something. I have, after all, provoked a conversation that I honestly didn’t expect.

Maybe that is a good thing, maybe not, but we want this forum to be a place that is inviting to all (including its current older members).

On my point about people looking in and assessing whether they want to join us; yes, there are many threads for them to explore what the forum is capable of, but a big factor will always be how the forum is at the moment as that is the forum they’d be joining. It was for this reason that Joe locked some game threads, and changed the rules on all games – because it was starting to look as if the only thing done on the forum was to play games.

It is the mix of conversations that makes this forum work.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

12 March 2016
11.33am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
15189sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think that was part of the reason that conversation sparked in the Beatles Trivia even easier thread about it being over.

12 March 2016
11.43am
Evangeline
Candlestick Park
Members
15190sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
[EDIT: In response to post 15184 by Evangeline.]

Agreed.

My comment last night (for me) I did not expect to cause as much response and debate as it has. I just made a personal observation on my feeling on looking in on the conversations last night, merely intended as a passing remark.

I realise our younger members are going to have conversations that don’t particularly interest me, and that doesn’t bother me in the least. That it as it should be. Not every thread is going to work for everyone.

However, our younger members have always made interesting and insightful contributions to the forum as a whole, which has balanced out the conversations that do interest me and those that don’t. That mix of different types of conversation makes the forum work for everyone.

Expressing concern that that mix of conversation is leaning too far one way or another IS doing something. I have, after all, provoked a conversation that I honestly didn’t expect.

Maybe that is a good thing, maybe not, but we want this forum to be a place that is inviting to all (including its current older members).

On my point about people looking in and assessing whether they want to join us; yes, there are many threads for them to explore what the forum is capable of, but a big factor will always be how the forum is at the moment as that is the forum they’d be joining. It was for this reason that Joe locked some game threads, and changed the rules on all games – because it was starting to look as if the only thing done on the forum was to play games.

It is the mix of conversations that makes this forum work.

I do think that the older members should be included, but if they’re not willing to start a discussion why should people cater to their needs if they don’t express them? People can’t just sit back and wait for a conversation to start that is to their liking, they have to take initiative. 

The following people thank Evangeline for this post:

pepperland

12 March 2016
11.44am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
15191sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Evangeline said
Yes, but what defines sensible discussions? A sensible discussion to one party might not be to others. Since no one has started a “sensibly” interesting discussion that means people most likely don’t care enough to start one. 

Writing gibberish for pages on end is not sensible conversations and is more unlikely to spark others into posting elsewhere.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Evangeline

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 March 2016
12.13pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
15192sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Evangeline said
I do think that the older members should be included, but if they’re not willing to start a discussion why should people cater to their needs if they don’t express them? People can’t just sit back and wait for a conversation to start that is to their liking, they have to take initiative.

It’s not always possible to think of new threads, sometimes it takes members to seek out interesting older threads and add their comments to spark new conversation on them.

You don’t necessarily want to start something new if it looks as if it will just be ignored.

For instance, take the “Beatles Trivia – Even Easier” thread. That started as more-or-less a parody of three others: “Easy”, “Medium” and “Hard” (or something like that). The parody thread doesn’t really interest me, though I have occasionally contributed. The originals did, and I thought they allowed people to discover things they might not have otherwise. People, including me, tried keeping those original threads alive for ages, but they just kept being ignored. In the end those three interesting threads (to me, at least) died a death.

While members concentrate on a small group of threads, rather than explore the whole bunch of interesting threads out there and look to respark them, the range of the conversation shrinks, gets stuck in a rut.

12 March 2016
12.19pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
15193sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

While members concentrate on a small group of threads, rather than explore the whole bunch of interesting threads out there and look to respark them, the range of the conversation shrinks, gets stuck in a rut.

One way to fix that issue would be to lock a popular thread like that for a while (a month or so) so that new threads can grow, then after a while, unlock it quietly. It would rotate conversation.

Though I think it would be controversial fix.

12 March 2016
12.31pm
O Boogie
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1352
15194sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^^ It could backfire, too.

For tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the Sun

12 March 2016
12.58pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
15195sp_Permalink sp_Print

Give me Ringo’s height and cuteness or give me death!

Nah, not really. I’m just being goofy. 

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Little Piggy Dragonguy

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

12 March 2016
1.09pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
15196sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said

Ron Nasty said

One way to fix that issue would be to lock a popular thread like that for a while (a month or so) so that new threads can grow, then after a while, unlock it quietly. It would rotate conversation.

I seriously doubt folk would be happy if mods kept locking and unlocking threads.

12 March 2016
6.13pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
15197sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

To all of you Game of Thrones fan I have some reasonably interesting news for you all that is an online-exclusive (that’s right you heard it here folks!).

I was talking to a friend of a friend who is often an extra in GOT, who was in previous seasons. Now obviously they can’t tell me anything because if they did and I told other people, it would most likely be put on the internet, HBO would get pissed, it could be traced back to them and they would lose their job and probably never be hired again so it’s understandable.

BUT

they did say the last three episodes of season six (which they featured are in) is going to be “intense” AND they shot in King’s Landing so….

Either:

Someone major dies in King’s Landing which is plausible

OR

Cleganebowl (get hyped)

I personally think it’s the latter but anyways woohoo should be an interesting season to say the least!

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

georgiewood

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

12 March 2016
6.19pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
15198sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Annadog40 said

Ron Nasty said

I seriously doubt folk would be happy if mods kept locking and unlocking threads.

I would be happy if the even easier Beatles trivia thread was locked

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

12 March 2016
9.05pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
15199sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve been driving most of the day. I just read through the comments. RN and mmm have said a lot of what I’ve been thinking. I’ll post more when thoughts arise.

And, maybe, just maybe, I am now ready to tackle one of the “real” trivia threads. The “learning something new” idea is the one I had behind the current Baker’s Dozen round. Which reminds me…I would be very appreciative if someone would find a fact involving the letter Q (Quarrymen/Quarry Men perhaps?) and put it into the game. Pretty please.

13 March 2016
3.07am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
15200sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did find it interesting that I could find four songs off the White Album that no one had commented on in a year after @Joe posted them. But then, I’m not going to discuss how cute the Beatles are/were either, so that’s balance to me. You’re all welcome in the ukulele thread regardless a-hard-days-night-ringo-10

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

pepperland, Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694