Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
24 June 2015
7.04pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13081sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Didnt they burn the witch?

Not in Salem. They instead burned your apostrophes for fuel.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug, georgiewood, Zig

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

25 June 2015
2.28am
Oudis
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1491
13082sp_Permalink sp_Print

Where shall I post this? Here I guess. It’s 4:30 am and I’m the only BBibler online. I feel lonely…

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit” (“Perhaps one day it will be a pleasure to look back on even this”; Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 1, line 203, where Aeneas says this to his men after the shipwreck that put them on the shores of Africa)

25 June 2015
7.19am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
13083sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said

meanmistermustard said
Didnt they burn the witch?

Not in Salem. They instead burned your apostrophes for fuel.

They’d have to find them first. I occasionally drop one for folk to feed on but most of the time i store them up for rainy days and important documents.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 June 2015
7.22am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
13084sp_Permalink sp_Print

Little do you know that they stole your apostrophes from storage!!!

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

25 June 2015
1.06pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
13085sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pineapple Records said

Thanks Zig for that incredibly detailed “college try” (I recall you were practically the only person to give me a good rebuttal many moons ago to that strange theory about the Beatles’ usage of the word “friend” for ostensible romantic lovers).  I think the main cogent points you laid out deal with how important musical genre is to you.  A telling indication of where you and I stand respectively in this regard may surprise or even shock you, but I have never been into Aerosmith, Kiss, or Pink Floyd — and over the years I have positively avoided them.  I thus have no real exposure to them.  However, in the last year or two, I have been trying to broaden my horizons and give time to music I used to think I would not like (e.g., I’ve been listening to lots of blues, which in years past bored me to tears). 

In this regard, my attitude for decades has been that I don’t really like rock & roll per se — I only like it when the Beatles do it (or when Santana or Chicago did it — and in a few choice songs by the Stones: It’s Only Rock & Roll, Brown Sugar).

What would be interesting is where our respective tastes in Beatles songs intersect, given our pretty radical differences in genres.  I think the Beatles more than other bands produce songs where people of different tastes can find agreement — but not always. 

However, here’s a crucial point:  I myself don’t care for the genre which Temporary Secretary is supposed to emulate (whatever one calls it — techno pop or whatever)!  So to me, I’m liking that song not because of the genre, but because of some McCartney aesthetics that are in it.

P.S.:  I forgot about “Coming Up ” when in the other thread I said I didn’t care for that album.  That is a great song, to me clearly superior to Temporary Secretary for sure.

meanmistermustard said

Going back to @Zig’s post two above this idea (from his friend) that it wasnt a ballad or rock and knowing what you were getting; is that a bad thing? 

The Beatles were always doing trying new sounds, not doing what was expected or what had been before. ‘Rubber Soul ‘ is different to ‘Help ‘, the same with ‘Revolver ‘ to ‘Rubber Soul ‘ and then you got ‘Pepper’ which took it further than anyone was expecting, and when folk thought they were going to be even more experimental they were hit with ‘The White Album ‘. For Paul ‘McCartney II ‘ was vastly different to ‘Back To The Egg ‘ and ‘London Town ‘ and pretty much everything that had gone before.

There were tons of Paul ballads on all of the albums before, and Paul was getting a reputation for them and being soft (tho there are ballads on ‘McCartney II ‘); ‘Back To The Egg ‘ has plenty of rockers (tho pretty feh they are). Paul doing something different and getting out of that expected zone i’d have thought was a good thing.

I love Emmylou Harris but the issue is a lot of her stuff nowadays you could switch from one album to another and rarely be able to tell and the same can be said for many bands. The same can be said for her material back in the 70’s; take one track from an album of that era, replace it with another and you wouldn’t be sitting there wondering what happened. 

The fact that ‘Temporary Secretary ‘ (and ‘McCartney II ‘ as a whole) and is so different is why i like it so much. Its not the Paul you expect and what folk presume him to be.

I won’t belabor this, because the last thing I want is to be argumentative. This is meant to clarify my position as your responses lead me to believe I have not done well enough in doing so yet.

1) The only thing “genre” has anything to do with is the fact that I truly dislike synthpop.

2) We did not know what we were getting, because we had never heard synthpop from Paul before. Even IF we liked stuff like that, we would not go to Paul for it any more than I would have gone to Kiss for a syrupy ballad (‘Beth’).

3) When someone you admire and respect releases something that you absolutely hate, it is very disappointing – especially when they dabble where they had not previously dabbled. Somewhere in the Forum archives, someone once posted that they were kind of glad The Beatles broke up before disco came along because if they had fallen into that passing fad, the suicide rate among Beatles fans would have risen at an alarming rate. That is not to say that disco was bad (I personally was “Meh” toward it). It is more to the point that you don’t turn to The Beatles for disco music. That was best left to Donna Summer and (yes, disappointingly) The Bee Gees.

Those points together, not one alone, combine to fuel my feelings of the song we are discussing.

mmm’s point about the evolution of The Beatles is something I’ve always found fascinating. Most bands start out playing music THEY want to play and end up selling out, or pandering in the interest of commercial gains. That is where those bands end up losing me as a fan – see my rant for only three of many examples. The Beatles (I am not the first person to say this) actually sold out first to become famous, and then started playing music THEY wanted to play. History tells us that when ‘Strawberry Fields Forever ’ came out, a good percentage of Beatlemaniacs were appalled – pretty much saying the same things John and I were saying. Fortunately for me, ‘SFF’ was one of the first songs I had ever heard from The Beatles as a four-year-old. As I slowly discovered more of their back canon, I was delighted to hear more of their “straight” rock because I love that kind of music. I honestly don’t know how I would have reacted had I grown up on the early stuff and then had been exposed to songs like ‘SFF’, ‘A Day In The Life ’ and the like.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

25 June 2015
3.19pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
13086sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just saw this on the internet…

Paul McCartney , who was once in a small garage band called The Beatles, …”

I see that the term has been used on the forum before saying that The Beatles weren’t just a garage band. https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..-2/#p45895

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug
25 June 2015
3.32pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
13087sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I just saw this on the internet…

Paul McCartney , who was once in a small garage band called The Beatles, …”

I see that the term has been used on the forum before saying that The Beatles weren’t just a garage band. https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..-2/#p45895

That thread linked to sure brings back memories.

I do like my reply at post #18 (a rare moment of self-indulgence i am having as i type and post this post not the one i’m referring to).

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 June 2015
3.42pm
Pineapple Records
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 842
13088sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig,

Actually, as I probably have mentioned Now And Then over the years, I experienced a rather major disappointment with McCartney right about the time of Venus & Mars — which at the time I felt was the “beginning of the end” of his genius which I felt came out of McCartney, Ram , Wings/Wild Life , Red Rose Speedway , and Band On The Run .  Part of my disappointment I now see, in retrospect, was rather foolish — since my ambivalent feelings about Venus & Mars I guess hadn’t given it a fair listening (or else my taste has radically changed since then, which I doubt).  However, I still feel that way about many later albums — from London Town forward, where a given album may have two great songs but the rest, I’m sorry, simply suck (example, Tug Of War album).  McCartney II album was one such disappointment — where Temporary Secretary and Coming Up were the “exceptions that proved the rule”.

In the last year or so I’ve been going back to revisit those supposedly disappointing albums to see if I may have been seriously mistaken — and experiences like being blown away (anew for the first time!) by songs like Rock Show, No More Lonely Nights, and Wanderlust, for example, indicate to me that I do in fact need to revise my former “disappointment”…

The following people thank Pineapple Records for this post:

Zig

A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,

a coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news...

25 June 2015
3.49pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
13089sp_Permalink sp_Print

And now for something completely different…

amdrImage Enlarger

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Beatlebug, trcanberra, Necko

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

25 June 2015
4.50pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
13090sp_Permalink sp_Print

Libraries should have drones so we can send books out to our patrons. Patrons can log on to the library website to request books and scheduled drop-off and pick-up dates.

25 June 2015
5.16pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
13091sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

In the last year or so I’ve been going back to revisit those supposedly disappointing albums to see if I may have been seriously mistaken — and experiences like being blown away (anew for the first time!) by songs like Rock Show, No More Lonely Nights, and Wanderlust, for example, indicate to me that I do in fact need to revise my former “disappointment”…

Yes, some great songs on many of the albums @Pineapple Records, those three being amongst my favourites! I loved the Venus And Mars album when it came out, it was the album he was touring when I saw him perform in Brisbane. The vocal on Wanderlust is brilliant.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

25 June 2015
7.57pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
13092sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just finished teaching a class. The professor came up to me and said that he had been coming to the library for years with his classes and my presentation by far was the best he had ever seen. I’m glad I had this chance to teach the library session for him. 🙂

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

HongKongLady
25 June 2015
8.07pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
13093sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I just finished teaching a class. The professor came up to me and said that he had been coming to the library for years with his classes and my presentation by far was the best he had ever seen. I’m glad I had this chance to teach the library session for him. 🙂

He fancy’s you!!

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl
25 June 2015
8.25pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
13094sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Share my highs but the times
That it hurts pay no mind
The pieces you don’t need are mine

-Cloud 9

I just realised I do this. If anything bad happens in my  life (not that it does much), I don’t share it with anyone. If I feel fine, you might hear of it. 

I suppose I’m a private person, like George, and I want to keep my lows to myself. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

25 June 2015
8.38pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
13095sp_Permalink sp_Print

I keep highs and lows to myself.

25 June 2015
9.26pm
HongKongLady
Oz
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1640
13096sp_Permalink sp_Print

A few days to go time soo fast, I have to prepare something to welcome him

The following people thank HongKongLady for this post:

Ahhh Girl, trcanberra
25 June 2015
9.41pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
13097sp_Permalink sp_Print

HongKongLady said

Some of that Honey Pie from The Baker’s Dozen sounds nice!!

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

25 June 2015
9.45pm
HongKongLady
Oz
Candlestick Park
Members
13098sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

HongKongLady said

Yes but I have to do something first with the frying pan before I make a Honey Pie

trcanberra
25 June 2015
9.53pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
13099sp_Permalink sp_Print

HongKongLady said

trcanberra said

HongKongLady said

Yes but I have to do something first with the frying pan before I make a Honey Pie

Oops, ouch!!  🙂

25 June 2015
9.55pm
HongKongLady
Oz
Candlestick Park
Members
13100sp_Permalink sp_Print

Or maybe I give you another choices you know already, you can choose which one is the best for you @trcanberra

trcanberra
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694