Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
11 May 2014
9.31pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Add the vocals to Ginger Baker’s drums on the classic Cream recording Toad! I bet that would work!

Make sure you only use Ginger Baker’s drums from Toad though!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

12 May 2014
5.27pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
7162sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for posting that picture of It a page back, I totally don’t have a fear of clownsahdn_paul_01

It was Mother ‘s Day in Europe too yesterday. I bought my mom a bead for her bracelet and in the afternoon we went to my grandma’s house, who had a lot of food for some reason. 

Also, I know Eurovision was 2 days ago, but holy shit, WE CAME IN SECOND! SECOND! We haven’t reached the top 3 since 1975. It was amazing. It was a bit unfortunate that we lost to Conchita. I understand ”her” statement and loved her speech though. I felt sorry for France and Slovenia, but those songs really sucked. France was a Stromae rip-off and Slovenia was just boring. Poland was crap too. Actually, a lot of them were crap. I haven’t said this in a long time, but The Netherlands were actually my favourite, followed by Norway, Switzerland, Malta and Armenia, even though the latter had a bad pronunciation.

12 May 2014
9.39pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
7163sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congratulations on coming second Linde. I saw the results part, happily heard none of the songs aside from the UK’s which was drivel.

We did our normal nothing (not scorewise, we got 23 or something), we have that nailed.a-hard-days-night-john-5 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 May 2014
9.43pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
7164sp_Permalink sp_Print

Technology – bah!

Was playing about with the shiny new PS4 I bought my son and captured an amazing game-play video from FFXIV.  Spent ages editing it down from 15 minutes to a perfect 3.  Saved my project.  Deleted original file to save space.  Found out that save project doesn’t save my edited video, it only places markers in the (now deleted) original video – seems I had to render the project to make a video file.  Screwed.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

13 May 2014
9.11pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
7165sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Congratulations on coming second Linde. I saw the results part, happily heard none of the songs aside from the UK’s which was drivel.

We did our normal nothing (not scorewise, we got 23 or something), we have that nailed.a-hard-days-night-john-5 

Oh, I think you would actually like our entry, it was kind of country-ish. It’s actually becoming really successful, reaching #1 in 12 countries or so. 

I was going to say something else as well, but I completely forgot what it was..

13 May 2014
9.46pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
7166sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe. 

I have all Eurovision entries smeared with the dogpoo stick as the UK entry is the one i always here first and its always shit.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 May 2014
1.56am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
7167sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well that whole thing was disappointing. Hockey just doesn’t go right for my teams ever, eh? Major shakeup needed, probably starting with Bylsma being fired.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

14 May 2014
8.02am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

[@Ahhh Girl asked if I would post the following dispatch from her travels.]

If I could find Joe on the Abbey Road web cam, I could sleuth this one out. I saw this panel describing a part of the frieze that once ran around the Parthenon.

20140513_175042.jpgImage Enlarger

So of course I had to go along the north side and look for the John, Paul, and George of the Panathenaic procession. I didn’t see anything that looked like a guitar so I asked a museum docent about it. Mistake. I asked a second one. I should have known better. So, I looked quickly at all the panels on the north side until I saw this one.

20140513_180521.jpgImage Enlarger

Then I saw the drawing of what that part of the frieze looked like when it was more intact.

20140513_180551.jpgImage Enlarger

Sure enough, enough of that piece of marble is still intact enough to see the ancient guitar.

20140513_174817.jpgImage Enlarger

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/kith/hd_kith.htm

I asked our waiter at dinner about the word kithara. He said it means guitar. He asked me why I was interested in the word. We chatted for a few moments, then he got a funny look on his face and said, “we do have real guitars now.” Too funny!

I wonder what song they were playing for Athena and her worshippers?

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 May 2014
1.17pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
7169sp_Permalink sp_Print

[Also posting on Ahhh Girl’s behalf]

I hadn’t bought this album yet. I found it and bought it in a cd/music store on the island of Santorini.

20140511_173747.jpgImage Enlarger

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

14 May 2014
4.46pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
7170sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here’s some more “Beatle spotting” that doesn’t really qualify as news.  The official Alvin Lee (of Ten Years After) Facebook page shared this picture.  It is George Harrison and Alvin Lee (judging by the way George looks, I’d say mid ’70s).  I’ve never seen this picture before.

Image Enlarger

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

14 May 2014
6.44pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
7171sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Necko said
Here’s some more “Beatle spotting” that doesn’t really qualify as news.  The official Alvin Lee (of Ten Years After) Facebook page shared this picture.  It is George Harrison and Alvin Lee (judging by the way George looks, I’d say mid ’70s).  I’ve never seen this picture before.

Though they recorded together a few times during the ’70s, George guesting mainly on Alvin Lee releases (such as his 1973 album On the Road to Freedom), my guess would be that it was taken in October 1974 at the A&M Studios in Los Angeles. George was rehearsing his tour band there in preparation for the imminent Dark Horse  tour while finishing off the album of the same name. Alvin Lee plays guitar on Ding Dong, Ding Dong , and I would suggest that the picture comes from the overdub session for that. It is possibly George’s home studio at Friar Park during late August-early September, as Lee was a neighbour of George’s – but George’s home studio was a little more “homemade” at the time (hope you’ll forgive the pun!).

14 May 2014
7.04pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
7172sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m Bored lets have a forum party

Image Enlarger

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

14 May 2014
7.09pm
MrMoonlight
Alone in the clouds all blue...
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 832
7173sp_Permalink sp_Print

Woo. Yes. You go, girl.

The following people thank MrMoonlight for this post:

Starr Shine?
14 May 2014
7.27pm
MrMoonlight
Alone in the clouds all blue...
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 832

I’ve just had the strangest idea: a sidescrolling Beatles adventure game using the famous Abbey Road shot for the characters, if you get my gist.

EDIT: And the soundtrack!

The following people thank MrMoonlight for this post:

Starr Shine?
14 May 2014
7.40pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
7175sp_Permalink sp_Print

Image Enlarger

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

14 May 2014
9.24pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456
7176sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

Well that whole thing was disappointing. Hockey just doesn’t go right for my teams ever, eh? Major shakeup needed, probably starting with Bylsma being fired.

lol, tough luck! But at least you have a Stanley Cup victory within living memory.

Last time my Leafs won, I was a literal fetus.

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

IveJustSeenAFaceo

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

15 May 2014
3.20pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223

Internet cafe! I can post some pictures.

First, @Zig and the other ale drinkers, I saw this on a t-shirt in a shop in Athens: “Two Beers or Not Two Beers” – Shakesbeer

Ancient Greek HELP! figurines (at the National Archaeological Museum in Athens).
nullImage Enlarger

More on the kithara (also spelled cithara)
Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

15 May 2014
4.09pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
7178sp_Permalink sp_Print

Last kithara post.

In the National Archaeological Museum in Athens, I saw this sign and this relief
kithara-sign.JPGImage Enlarger

kithara-seated.JPGImage Enlarger

Image Enlarger

The third figure was in the same “picture” as the kithara player. I asked a museum docent (errr, whatever they are) about it. No clue again. But, I remembered that the guy working at the bag check area was wearing a t-shirt with guitars on it. I showed him my pictures, and he was interested in my question. The instrument in the third picture is a mandolin. We discussed kitharas for a moment, and he chuckled and said that it was an early form of a guitar.

This has been a fun quest.

Oh, yeah, just to tack this on somewhere, I saw a guy with a Beatles t-shirt on walking down the road just a bit ago.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

parlance, trcanberra
16 May 2014
8.17pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
7179sp_Permalink sp_Print

Posting on behalf of AG:

AG-pic.jpgImage Enlarger

Is this windmill going for a moptop look?

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

parlance

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

16 May 2014
8.54pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
7180sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you ever go to Galway, go to Sally Longs Pub, purely for the amazing murals dedicated to some of rocks greatest on the inside and the outside:

ImageImage Enlarger

[Image Can Not Be Found]

^ Notice God touching Elvis a-hard-days-night-george-10

[Image Can Not Be Found]

^Up in heaven, you can’t see it but John is playing at the piano. 

[Image Can Not Be Found]

^ And down on Earth 

Image Enlarger

^Inside

It’s quite cool to say the least, providing rock music to Galway since 1988 :D

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

trcanberra, Zig

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694