Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
20 March 2014
12.13pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6461sp_Permalink sp_Print

My hockey team won our championship last night. So woohoo!

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

20 March 2014
12.39pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
6462sp_Permalink sp_Print

Coming back to theaters in 2015… the Peanuts gang!

Yes, as a man in his mid-30s, I’m far more excited about this than I should be, but more for the reason that I’m taking my son, who’s slowly starting to “get” Peanuts, to see this when it’s released.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

20 March 2014
1.37pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
6463sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8My initial reaction was that its the new style of animation but as soon as Charlie Brown appeared in the trailer followed by Snoopy I was sold. Who needs kids for films such as these?

Snoopy-Wallpaper.jpgImage Enlarger

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 March 2014
2.11pm
WETSRoosa
Candlestick Park
Members
6464sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8My initial reaction was that its the new style of animation but as soon as Charlie Brown appeared in the trailer followed by Snoopy I was sold. Who needs kids for films such as these?

Snoopy-Wallpaper.jpgImage Enlarger

Shhh… using the kid as an excuse is just a cover up… don’t tell anybody… a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank WETSRoosa for this post:

Ahhh Girl

20 March 2014
2.46pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448

Aw meanmm, you let me down! I was sure you’d be as scornful about this upcoming movie as me.

The “Peanuts” gang live in a 2-D world, and always have, and always should. There was NO need to make this thing using that rubbery CGI that’s apparently indispensable to the making of animated feature films in Hollywood these days. Just because the technology exists doesn’t mean it’s always necessary to employ it.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

20 March 2014
2.59pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

I to am a little unsure about the new peanuts movie. I hope they don’t fill this with Pop culture references like with The Cat in the Hat movie

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

20 March 2014
3.36pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
6467sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Is Brother John in Let ‘Em In a nod to John Lennon ? A number of sources say it is but others say otherwise. A comment posted at songfact.com says the correct list is: 

Sister Suzie (Linda McCartney), Brother John (John Eastman), also a lead-in to Martin Luther (John Lennon , bandmates used to call him this), Phil & Don (Everly Brothers), Brother Michael (Mike McCartney), Auntie Jin (Paul’s aunt), Uncle Ernie (Keith Moon, in The Who’s Tommy), Uncle Ian (Auntie Jin’s son)

Having read Tune In, I know who Sister Suzie is…but that would involve a spoiler and the spoiler feature does not work on this God -awful IE browser my company uses.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

20 March 2014
3.39pm
WETSRoosa
Candlestick Park
Members
6468sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
I to am a little unsure about the new peanuts movie. I hope they don’t fill this with Pop culture references like with The Cat in the Hat movie

Considering it’s being primarily written by Charles Schulz’ two sons and one of his grandkids, and knowing how specific Schulz was in terms of how Peanuts should be handled, I’m sure it won’t stray too far off from the Peanuts’ bread and butter material.

Besides, it can’t be any worse than this…

20 March 2014
5.42pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
6469sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said
Aw meanmm, you let me down! I was sure you’d be as scornful about this upcoming movie as me.

The “Peanuts” gang live in a 2-D world, and always have, and always should. There was NO need to make this thing using that rubbery CGI that’s apparently indispensable to the making of animated feature films in Hollywood these days. Just because the technology exists doesn’t mean it’s always necessary to employ it.

Even if it was done in 2D, though, it would still probably be computer-animated because it’s cheaper and easier.  I don’t disagree with you, but I just wanted to raise that point.

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

20 March 2014
5.50pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

EDIT:Disregard.  Broken image.

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

20 March 2014
6.03pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
6471sp_Permalink sp_Print

Necko said

Von Bontee said

Even if it was done in 2D, though, it would still probably be computer-animated because it’s cheaper and easier.  I don’t disagree with you, but I just wanted to raise that point.

Exactly – it’s the 3-dimensional aspect that offends me. I wouldn’t have a problem with them using computers to create the same flat look as the panels, or the old theatrical features like “A Boy Named Charlie Brown”. That’s just a question of simple efficiency.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

20 March 2014
6.48pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

wetsroosa said

Annadog40 said

Considering it’s being primarily written by Charles Schulz’ two sons and one of his grandkids, and knowing how specific Schulz was in terms of how Peanuts should be handled, I’m sure it won’t stray too far off from the Peanuts’ bread and butter material.

I was about to write that its Snoopy it cant be bad no matter what but then that link! What the . . .? Plus i just remembered the movie where they go to France which is dreadful, i stayed with it to the end but was so bored. The comic strips far outweigh the motion cartoons in my opinion, just far superior. Maybe its just seeing the two of them together that gets me. Like seeing a new Beatle release – you get all excited and then realise how Apple have screwed it up yet again.

As long as they dont have adults on screen and give Snoopy and Woodstock voices its should be decent. And now i’ve just remembered that reboot of the Pink Panther cartoons where he spoke.blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie I hated that with venom.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 March 2014
7.43pm
WETSRoosa
Candlestick Park
Members
6473sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

wetsroosa said

Annadog40 said

I was about to write that its Snoopy it cant be bad no matter what but then that link! What the . . .? Plus i just remembered the movie where they go to France which is dreadful, i stayed with it to the end but was so bored. The comic strips far outweigh the motion cartoons in my opinion, just far superior. Maybe its just seeing the two of them together that gets me. Like seeing a new Beatle release – you get all excited and then realise how Apple have screwed it up yet again.

As long as they dont have adults on screen and give Snoopy and Woodstock voices its should be decent. And now i’ve just remembered that reboot of the Pink Panther cartoons where he spoke.blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie I hated that with venom.

Judging by the trailer, Snoopy does his usual dog snickering and Woodie does his usual bird chirping, so I think we’re safe there. Because the Schulz family is heavily involved in this film on the writing and producing side, I really do think they’ll stay true to Sparky’s vision. I think that’s why we haven’t seen a new Peanuts movie in years: because it either 1.) strayed far from what made the strips so great, and 2.) it didn’t involve the Schulz family’s involvement. Plus with Sparky and Bill Melendez passing away years back, that threw a monkey wrench in the proceedings.

Beginning with Bon Voyage Charlie Brown– the France movie you were referring to- the ’80s was NOT a kind period for the Peanuts. Between that movie, Flashbeagle, the Peanuts special that was half animation/half live action (It’s the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown) and the meandering This is America series, that was a pretty rough decade in terms of Peanuts on the big/small screen, and with one exception (Why, Charlie Brown, Why?) the ’90s was not much kinder. As much as I hate reboots and cartoons getting a makeover, maybe Peanuts getting a fresh start in the mid 2010s isn’t such a bad idea- it keeps the brand relevant and as long as they don’t try to do too much, I think it’ll be fine.

Image Enlarger

20 March 2014
7.55pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

Right lads I need help, my history teacher is being a prick trying to help my brother with his history project on the lads concerts in Ireland. The history teachers refuses to believe it was a historical event a-hard-days-night-paul-4 We’ll just ignore the riots, the vandalism and general screaming that the teenagers did then, eh?

To quote the Oxford English Dictionary; history is ‘an eventful past’. Now if that a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 wasn’t eventful then tell me what is! blue-meanie

Anyhoo, he says that my brother has to write more about the effect of them on Irish culture (I could probably let British culture slip through, though) So far I have:

Fashion- Beatle boots, hairstyle, collar-less suits

Music- More groups creating original music and their music being used in peace marches. Also Paul’s and John’s songs written during The Troubles in Northern Ireland. Influence on U2 blah blah

Beatlemania

Their slight promotion of drugs a-hard-days-night-george-10

Publicity for meditation and yoga (their trip to India)

Anything else?? I’m clutching at straws at the moment, if he says that it’s useless, my brother is going to do the first Ed Sullivan shows or something else Beatley related (any ideas? I can do everything except John’s murder)

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

20 March 2014
8.50pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
6475sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
Right lads I need help, trying to help my brother with his history project on the lads concerts in Ireland. 

Anyhoo, he says that my brother has to write more about the effect of them on Irish culture

any ideas? 

You might be able to grab some useful info from Joe’s articles:

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1…..n-ireland/

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1…..a-belfast/

Intersting to read that these 2 dates were the first ones during which Alun Owen observed the Fabs for his ‘research’ on them in regard to the AHDN screenplay.

You could also look into their Irish lineage (all except Richy if memory serves).

Also, I was born the day before that first show – if the teacher says, THAT is not historical, you will have to give me his phone number and we can debate it.a-hard-days-night-john-1

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

20 March 2014
10.52pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Zig said 
You could also look into their Irish lineage (all except Richy if memory serves).

I like this suggestion, it was going to be mine – sort of. The effect of the Irish diaspora on Irish culture and politics, with The Beatles, together and apart, showing examples of both. They offered a chance to forget the tensions on the island of Ireland, but at times questioned the role of the British on the island of Ireland. The Beatles are, in their way, an interesting way to jump into making points about the negative and positive effects that the Irish diaspora has had on the history of the island.

For a long time the Irish diaspora were seen as a strength in the struggle, but were increasingly seen as a hindrance by the increasing numbers who were rejecting violence because of their financing of it although they didn’t have to live with its effects (John, in the early ’70s, purportedly one of those financing the IRA).

The pivotal moment probably came the day afer Enniskillen, when during a performance of Sunday Bloody Sunday Bono – in front of an American audience – declared, “Let me tell you something, I’ve had enough of Irish-Americans who haven’t been back to their country in twenty or thirty years, come up to me and talk about the Resistance, the Revolution back home… And the glory of the Revolution , and the glory of dying for the Revolution .
“F**k the Revolution !
“They don’t talk about the glory of killing for the Revolution !
“What’s the glory in taking a man from his bed and gunning him down in front of his wife and his children? Where’s the glory in that?
“Where’s the glory in bombing a Remembrance Day parade of old-age pensioners, their medals taken out and polished-up for the day? Where’s the glory in that? To leave them dying, or crippled for life, or dead under the rubble of the Revolution that the majority of the people in my country don’t want!”

And most bravely, against all advice, insisted it was included in the Rattle and Hum film. Bono is often derided for his politics, but in those moments he made himself a target, and started undermining the diaspora’s support for the IRA – which would contribute to the path to the peace process.

And it all began with The Beatles, and some Irish kids falling in love with their music, and seeing how their own voices could be heard using that music…

There is an exciting part of the island’s history told there that begins with some Beatles performances in Ireland.

@AppleScruffJunior 

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

21 March 2014
4.32am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
6477sp_Permalink sp_Print

@AppleScruffJunior 

Don’t allow your brother to just copy and paste the above post, no matter how tempting that prospect might be a-hard-days-night-ringo-7ahdn_paul_02paul-mccartneya-hard-days-night-paul-7a-hard-days-night-george-10

21 March 2014
12.24pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
6478sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow! Kate Bush has announced her first live dates since 1979! 15 performances at London’s Hammersmith Apollo – which, ironically, as the Hammersmith Odeon, was the last venue on her only ever tour.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

21 March 2014
2.13pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
6479sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said

Necko said

Von Bontee said

Exactly – it’s the 3-dimensional aspect that offends me. I wouldn’t have a problem with them using computers to create the same flat look as the panels, or the old theatrical features like “A Boy Named Charlie Brown”. That’s just a question of simple efficiency.

I taught myself to read by listening to my parents read me Charlie Brown comics all the time :)

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

21 March 2014
2.26pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
6480sp_Permalink sp_Print

I looked for an appropriate topic for this, but they all hadn’t been posted to for years…so, why not here?

I think a great example of Paul’s (I guess it was at least mostly Paul) genius can be found in the last verse of the rather light hearted, almost silly song Rocky Raccoon:  “Now Rocky Raccoon fell back in his room only to find Gideon’s Bible/Gideon checked out and left it no doubt to help with poor Rocky’s revival”.  I just think the wordplay in that is great, how could they have thought the concept that Gideon himself checked out of a hotel room and left his bible, and for a “revival”?

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691