Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
5 March 2014
6.31pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Love the new design. Nice job! 

Seems to work better on mobile, too, which is a plus. 

EDIT: Just read Joe’s most recent post in the forum changes thread. 

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Joe

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

5 March 2014
9.19pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
6302sp_Permalink sp_Print

My friends from Serbia watch it, I know. That’s all I know about it though. (this is on EuroVision)

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

5 March 2014
9.22pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
6303sp_Permalink sp_Print

All I know is that we get hardly any votes because we have no neighbours, except Ireland. Not good if you want to win Eurovison.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

5 March 2014
9.35pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
6304sp_Permalink sp_Print

wetsroosa said

Is the Eurovision contest still a big deal throughout Europe? Our equivalent of sorts is American Idol, which has lost its influence over here, thankfully.

I tried watching American Idol once. The show’s appeal escaped me.

A few years ago, I asked some co-workers what they liked about it and they said they like making fun of the people who can’t sing but think they can. To me that is just a sad commentary – I have no use for people who make themselves feel better by tearing someone else down. 

I couldn’t watch it as I felt sorry/embarrassed/awkward for the people who had no business singing into a microphone. yoko-ono_01

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

5 March 2014
9.39pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
6305sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

wetsroosa said

Is the Eurovision contest still a big deal throughout Europe? Our equivalent of sorts is American Idol, which has lost its influence over here, thankfully.

I tried watching American Idol once. The show’s appeal escaped me.

A few years ago, I asked some co-workers what they liked about it and they said they like making fun of the people who can’t sing but think they can. To me that is just a sad commentary – I have no use for people who make themselves feel better by tearing someone else down. 

I couldn’t watch it as I felt sorry/embarrassed/awkward for the people who had no business singing into a microphone. yoko-ono_01

I watch America’s Got Talent because I love the people who have the crazy talents like catching bowls on a unicycle. It’s hilarious.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

5 March 2014
9.42pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
6306sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry, but I can’t see how that is at all entertaining. Or maybe once in a while, but not every week for me. And the people who are put on these shows just because the producers know they’re no good and will be laughed at just make me feel uncomfortable.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

5 March 2014
9.47pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456
6307sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I’ve glanced at a few episodes; and while I myself naturally hate most of the music and musicians who appear on American Idol (and our own national imitation, imaginatively entitled Canadian Idol) but I can certainly understand the appeal of that sort of thing to folks who don’t share my *cough cough* lofty musical tastes. You pick a candidate, hope they’ll make it, tune in next week again and again. It’s the same as watching a big winner pile up the earnings on a game show – there’s an inherent drama in the process.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

5 March 2014
9.53pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
6308sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, the people know they’re being stupid. Most of them anyway

5 March 2014
10.29pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
6309sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have no interest in watching shows like Pop Idol, X Factor, The Voice because of

a) people having no talent being laughed at in the name of entertainment 

b) having to listen to people who can’t sing ruining songs (loud, warbling and holding a note for 45 seconds is not good singing)

b)  if/when they are signed up, most (not all) are exploited by record companies or managers (yes they are living a dream and all that and know what they are getting themselves into, but most will come out of it with little money to show for it and have to scrap around to make a living whilst the companies move on to the next sap without a second thought)

c) being emotionally exploited by the tv companies highlighting the acts with the most heart breaking stories (eg “i need to win as my mum died from cancer and i want to make her proud as she loved to hear me sing to her as she was receiving and recovering from treatment”) , regardless of whether said act has talent or not

d) i find it all incredibly boring

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

IveJustSeenAFaceo

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 March 2014
1.52am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
6310sp_Permalink sp_Print

OHMYGODMYTEETHHURTSOSOSOBAD!!!!!!

7 March 2014
2.09am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6311sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

What did you do?

Take some painkillers and call a dentist if it persists.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 March 2014
2.18am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
6312sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

What did you do?

No need for a dentist, definite need for painkillers (which I’ve been taking every 6 or 7 hours). I know exactly what’s causing it, I just can’t do a damn thing about it. I just got my bottom braces put on and some new bands, and it hurts for a few days. Happened when I got the top ones on too. Sucks though.

7 March 2014
1.00pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22225
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
6313sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

meanmistermustard said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

What did you do?

No need for a dentist, definite need for painkillers (which I’ve been taking every 6 or 7 hours). I know exactly what’s causing it, I just can’t do a damn thing about it. I just got my bottom braces put on and some new bands, and it hurts for a few days. Happened when I got the top ones on too. Sucks though.

Are your teeth feeling better this morning?

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

IveJustSeenAFaceo
7 March 2014
1.18pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
6314sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

meanmistermustard said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

What did you do?

Are your teeth feeling better this morning?

Yep, I’ll take another painkiller before school, but it should be done hurting by the weekend.

7 March 2014
4.22pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
6315sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
I think it’s much more of a big deal in Eastern Europe. We never do very well, so I don’t pay much attention to it.

It is. And it’s too often that one of those countries win, either those or Sweden or Denmark. I think Azerbaidjan, Sweden and Denmark have even won most of the competitions.

The Netherlands haven’t done too well in the last few years either. Last year we ended up 8th in the finals so that was good, but that song was decent too. The 3 entries before that were just embarrassing and I can’t even remember what we entered before that. 

England doesn’t end up last because they have no neighbours. We do have neighbours and I believe neither Belgium nor Germany gave us a lot of points the last time, and sometimes they don’t give us points at all. Neighbours? They don’t give a shit.

This year we’re sending two pop singers who are both influenced by country. They’re both pretty good but I haven’t heard the song in it’s entirety yet. The bit I’ve heard was good but boring. Too boring for Eurovision. Because let’s be honest, if there’s one thing that’s clear, it’s that it’s not about the songs anymore.

7 March 2014
4.33pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
6316sp_Permalink sp_Print

Though I’m sure the fact that we seem unable to produce a good singer for Euro is also a reason why we don’t do very well, I still think that a big part of it is that we’re an island. If you look at the countries that do well, they have a lot of neighbouring countries – that vote for them (because that’s the unsaid thing to do).

(Passover - I. Curtis)

7 March 2014
5.56pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6317sp_Permalink sp_Print

Its a fact that the UK (not England) is not that popular – why? I don’t know, but it wouldnt matter who we had singing the song. Its far too little to do with the singer and song and more to do with what countries you like, who your neighbour is, and who’s bought how many votes.

8 March 2014
10.38pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

SatanHimself said

meanmistermustard said Paul made #21 in the Billboard Rich List, reports Examiner, with $13,769,479.16. Taylor Swift was #1 with a quiet eye-blowing $39,699,575.60 I presume its for the year 2013 but if it was $13m for the tour and the rest from sales of New then this does not include royalties from his back catalogue as surely he made more than a $1m thru the Beatles and his solo work in a year. Anyone know? Oh, and who is Kenny Chesney (#2)? Only singer i know with Chesney in the name is Chesney Hawkes (that two hit wonder) – he also starred in a film called Buddy’s Song which was rather good, or was that the book i’m thinking of?ahdn_paul_01

Kenny Chesney is an awesome country music singer. He grew up in East Tennessee, wetsroosa’s neck of the woods. 

——-

For us living outside of America, we can’t really relate to country artists like Kenny Chesney.  His stuff comes across as Christian Republican pro-U.S. propaganda.  Very manufactured Walmart-brand corporate social engineering, more than organic singer-songwriter stuff.

No offense meant to you personally.  It’s just difficult material for non-Americans to take seriously.

No offense taken. None at all. This is the kind of thing that is fascinating to me. Do you see the songs I posted for meanmistermustart in that light? I really, really would like to know your reactions to them.

EDIT: @SatanHimself I moved this post over here in case you do want to reply so that we don’t clutter up the news thread with non-Beatles news conversation.

After I thought about your post a bit, I can see how several country music artists come across the way you described. I definitely can. But, it fascinates me that Kenny Chesney would be one of them. The first song is about a young man who is living life too fast and crazy and needs to slow down. Ha! Perhaps that is an U.S.-centric trait. The second song is so sweet. A old bartender helps a young man realize that he needs to go home and make up with his wife. The third song is about the experiences of growing up in a small town.

However, if you see Kenny or any of those three songs a different way, I’d love to see your perspective.

9 March 2014
3.10am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

testing, trying to figure out how to do an attachment

my-avatar.jpegImage Enlarger

Well, this picture is in this post somehow as an attachment. I did the whole select file and upload process. I don’t know how to get one “attached” at the bottom like Joe did. Anyone else figured it out?

EDIT: Once I saved the edited post, I saw the attachment thing. I didn’t see it when I sent an attachment in a PM. Very interesting.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

IveJustSeenAFaceo
9 March 2014
3.27am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers

Finally, something other than a Heal/Hurt thread has appeared!

First, Let me try attaching something (though it seems to have already worked for you)

So this should be an mp3 of The End , to test mmm’s question about downloads (right now it’s just a pale orange square).

yellow-submarine.jpgImage Enlarger

And here’s the cover of the Yellow Submarine Songtrack Enjoy

EDIT: So you can play The End but not save it. That’s tremendously helpful for showing you guys music so I don’t have to link to a youtube video anymore. Is there anyway to make it take up less space in the post though?

Oh, and AG, I could never tell what your avatar said until I saw the full size image. Haha, that’s funny.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Joe, Ahhh Girl
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694