Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
19 January 2014
7.00am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5661sp_Permalink sp_Print

Seems it’s not only our younger members having a bad week.  My wife got called into a work meeting a couple of days ago and got fired on the spot.  So did two of her workmates.  There have been some issues with the manager at the site and rather than assign the responsibility to the manager the area boss (who is good friends with the manager) decided to blame the staff instead.

I must be hanging around these forums with too many US members and getting all litigious – we have consulted with an industrial relations guru and are going to sue their sorry little butts.

Maybe we will win enough for me to pay off my wife’s credit card before she notices someone ‘borrowed’ it to buy a box or three :)

We are also going for an apology and reinstatement at another work site the firm has.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

19 January 2014
7.36am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Sorry to hear that, trc. I was in a similar position a while back and it’s just dreadful what some employers think they can get away with – especially when the friends’ club comes into play. Good luck with getting a fair redress.

Linde, good luck with your exams. As before, I am sure you’ll do well.

ASJ, I’d try to think of a subject I could help you out with the exam, but how would you pass off a bearded man in his late 40s as you? And before you ask, the legs are way too hairy for a dress!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

19 January 2014
9.27am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5663sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Thanks mja – I’m pretty sure things will get sorted as they are so obviously in the wrong – but I guess you never know.  They have committed 2 breaches of the Workplace Act and one of our Privacy Act so hopefully their national manager will do the right thing when we present all the facts to them.  Just bad timing with me between contracts as well, but life goes on :)

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

19 January 2014
10.40am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
5664sp_Permalink sp_Print

Some of those e-cards are really funny. I hate to say it but this one sums me up well:

Image Enlarger

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

19 January 2014
4.19pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221

That’s messed up, trc. Hope you all get a favorable outcome in the end. And, all this is happening in the blasted heat of summer for you.

Here’s to victory for you and your wife.

A_belt_1.PNGImage Enlarger

UKW%20championship%20belt.jpgImage Enlarger

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4cK9kGPk3Nv3ndEYYjq-2lnAG3ThH3uCeTrzxvwf8yJLEXSN3BwImage Enlarger

On a totally unrelated note, Australia sure has a bunch of time zones.

australia-time-zone-map.gifImage Enlarger

This view makes it look even stranger: Current times in Australia. It has daylight savings time stuff built in (which only certain parts are observing).

19 January 2014
6.32pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
5666sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said

Linde said
I’m so nervous, the next three weeks I’ll have exams again and I have to finish some projects and essays. I hope it’ll go just as well as last time and that I’ll pass all of them in one time.

Linde, I know this is a bad time but in June 2015 if I pay for a flight for you to Ireland and give you free accommodation etc. Will you sit the Dutch leaving cert exam for me please?

*tries to insert puppy dog eye picture but the site won’t let me*

A free trip to Ireland just to do a 3 hour exam for me. I get an A1 and you get a holiday, I’ll bring you to all the tourist sites and everything!!!

Here’s the paper from last year, I am awaiting your reply a-hard-days-night-george-10

http://www.examinations.ie/arc…..P000EV.pdf

Wait , you have Dutch? Wow. That’s cool..and weird, considering that even in German, which is placed next to the Netherlands, they don’t teach it at most schools.

If this was serious, I’d do it immediately. I’ve always wanted to visit Irelandahdn_george_08

I must say that exam looks pretty difficult, by the way. But I’ve been told once that Dutch is one of the hardest languages to learn.

19 January 2014
8.58pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5667sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^  Thanks for that.

Yes – Queensland didn’t want to upset their cows so decided not to go with daylight savings time.  So my mum always forgets and rings us way later than she planned :)

19 January 2014
9.27pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
5668sp_Permalink sp_Print

I thought this was funny/cool and couldn’t think of anywhere else to post it.

8e0.jpgImage Enlarger

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

19 January 2014
10.35pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5669sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m going to be nosey again. Feel free to give me a a-hard-days-night-paul-11  if need be.

trcanberra, do you have an Australian accent since you move there at a young age? or did you retain your Brit one? How are the two different?

20 January 2014
12.08am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5670sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I’m going to be nosey again. Feel free to give me a a-hard-days-night-paul-11  if need be.

trcanberra, do you have an Australian accent since you move there at a young age? or did you retain your Brit one? How are the two different?

No worries mate *trying to put on my best Aussie accent*

People here tell me I have a faint UK accent, when I am in the UK people tell me they can pick up a hint of Aussie – but also some UK.  One amazing woman I met there on my last holidays picked up strains of my father’s Manchester accent and what is left of my Welsh – no idea how.  When I listen to myself on an audio recording I would say UK.

Sorry, I have no idea how to describe the differences – maybe listen to Paul Hogan putting a shrimp on the barbie for the Oz?  :)

20 January 2014
12.37am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5671sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra, do you have an Australian accent since you moved there at a young age? or did you retain your Brit one? How are the two different?

No worries mate *trying to put on my best Aussie accent*

People here tell me I have a faint UK accent, when I am in the UK people tell me they can pick up a hint of Aussie – but also some UK.  One amazing woman I met there on my last holidays picked up strains of my father’s Manchester accent and what is left of my Welsh – no idea how.  When I listen to myself on an audio recording I would say UK.

Sorry, I have no idea how to describe the differences – maybe listen to Paul Hogan putting a shrimp on the barbie for the Oz?  :)

Cool. Your history is all so very interesting. You tell the stories very well. Thanks for the reply. ahdn_george_08

20 January 2014
2.00am
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
5672sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dinner’s done, dishes are cleaned up, toddler is bathed… and now, Downton Abbey time in our house. The only time of the week the wife commandeers the TV.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

20 January 2014
4.06am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

^I’ve only recorded the episodes this year. Perhaps I’ll take a break tomorrow and watch them, or I may wait until the season is over and watch them all at once.

re:seeing who is browsing the same page you are viewing. I was on the most current page of the “Introduce yourself to the forum!” thread, and it indicated that I and 5 guests were currently browsing the page. I clicked over to the first page of that thread and it still said that I and 5 guests were currently browsing the page. Now, I highly doubt that 5 people besides me were really looking at page 1 of that thread while I was looking at it. Interesting.

20 January 2014
4.28am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
5674sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
re:seeing who is browsing the same page you are viewing. I was on the most current page of the “Introduce yourself to the forum!” thread, and it indicated that I and 5 guests were currently browsing the page. I clicked over to the first page of that thread and it still said that I and 5 guests were currently browsing the page. Now, I highly doubt that 5 people besides me were really looking at page 1 of that thread while I was looking at it. Interesting.

I believe that for “this Page” you should read “this Thread”.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

20 January 2014
4.54am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Yep, I think you’re right, mja. I’m constantly learning stuff on here, Beatles-related and otherwise. I guess I’m just nosey and curious.

EDIT: If you can see this, I can respond to this thread on my computer.

20 January 2014
7.05pm
4or5Magicians
The Foothills of the Headlands
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 184
5676sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve been learning a lot of Beatles related stuff since I found this site. Now I just have to stop staying up so late reading when I have to be at work in the morning.

Also, I can indeed see that you can respond from your computer.

20 January 2014
7.50pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5677sp_Permalink sp_Print

4or5Magicians said
I’ve been learning a lot of Beatles related stuff since I found this site. Now I just have to stop staying up so late reading when I have to be at work in the morning.

Also, I can indeed see that you can respond from your computer.

Thanks. I am a bit addicted to my access to this site. I still can post my response to Expert Textpert. Glad his trip isn’t coming up too soon.

You really do learn a lot here. And, I have been staying up way past my bedtime too many nights since finding this site. I feel your conflict.

21 January 2014
12.02am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
5678sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey. Has anybody else ever posted on these forums from a mobile device? I do most of the time and it doesn’t work well at all. It’s understandable, since this site is made for PC, so I don’t expect a solution or anything. I just want to find someone who shares my pain. :P

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

21 January 2014
12.08am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5679sp_Permalink sp_Print

Necko said
Hey. Has anybody else ever posted on these forums from a mobile device? I do most of the time and it doesn’t work well at all. It’s understandable, since this site is made for PC, so I don’t expect a solution or anything. I just want to find someone who shares my pain. :P

I post from my Android phone quite often. It can be a pain, but if it is the only access I have at the moment, I work through it.

The problems I have: I can’t use arrow keys. You have to try to tap on the screen where you need to change or insert something. Often I can’t quote long posts and type in a reply. That’s when I use a-hard-days-night-ringo-8. I don’t even try to insert pictures or links or anything advanced like that on my phone. I just remember which posts I want to respond to and do that when I get back to a PC.

21 January 2014
12.23am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Necko said

I don’t use the site on my ipod as its a right pain to use, but that goes for many sites when using the ipod that haven’t got their own apps. Very occassionally i might read some of the posts but i won’t post unless absolutely necessary. I don’t expect Joe to build one tho considering the cost involved. I’m happy the way things are with the site availability.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694