Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
7 January 2014
7.02pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22227
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5521sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Just cold. No precip thankfully.

7 January 2014
7.04pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
5522sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Oh, I suppose it could be worse then. Keep yourself warm :)

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

7 January 2014
7.10pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5523sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
^ Oh, I suppose it could be worse then. Keep yourself warm :)

The cold is making me cough a little bit, but I’ll be o.k.

7 January 2014
8.48pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
5524sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

It’s a lovely and balmy 10 F as we speak here. Tomorrow it’ll be up to 32F- it’s almost like summer. a-hard-days-night-ringo-10

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

7 January 2014
10.33pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5525sp_Permalink sp_Print

over on the “What are you eating right now?” thread

trcanberra said

Ah nice – my wife makes a great orange juice – all mixed up with crushed ice in a juicer – my son loves it.

OK, trcanberra. I’m gonna be nosy. Give me a a-hard-days-night-paul-11 if that is the answer I deserve, but I’ve been wondering this for a while. Back during the hurricane in the Philippines last year I know you mentioned that your wife has relatives in the Philippines. Is your wife Filipino? I’m just curious after that history lesson on how your family got from Wales to Australia. I was wondering if her family had a similar background or if some other twist of fate brought you together.

No, I don’t know why orange juice triggered my memory to cause me to ask the question now.

7 January 2014
10.43pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
5526sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Ah nice – my wife makes a great orange juice – all mixed up with crushed ice in a juicer – my son loves it.

OK, trcanberra. I’m gonna be nosy. Give me a a-hard-days-night-paul-11 if that is the answer I deserve, but I’ve been wondering this for a while. Back during the hurricane in the Philippines last year I know you mentioned that your wife has relatives in the Philippines. Is your wife Filipino? I’m just curious after that history lesson on how your family got from Wales to Australia. I was wondering if her family had a similar background or if some other twist of fate brought you together.

No, I don’t know why orange juice triggered my memory to cause me to ask the question now.

Fair enough – but in return you have to manage the sports thing for a bit.  Latest humiliation; Manchester United minutes ago lost to the bottom team in the league – 3 games lost so far this year and it is only the 8th of January (and we are the current champions – sigh – not for much longer).

Yes, she is from Manila.  This is a bit convoluted, but here we go.  Her sister (let’s call her X) was married to my brother’s best friend (let’s call him Y) and I was on good terms with the couple as well.  During various family visits Y’s son ended up getting engaged to X’s younger sister.  My future wife came to Australia to be a bridesmaid.  X and Y being the social lot they were kept inviting me to dinner; I kept saying no figuring it was a setup (I was quite happy being single).  After much pestering I decided to visit one time to shut them up.  That was either a good or bad move depending on what mood I am in at the moment :)

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

7 January 2014
11.15pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
5527sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Fair enough – but in return you have to manage the sports thing for a bit.  Latest humiliation; Manchester United minutes ago lost to the bottom team in the league – 3 games lost so far this year and it is only the 8th of January (and we are the current champions – sigh – not for much longer).

Yes, she is from Manila.  This is a bit convoluted, but here we go.  Her sister (let’s call her X) was married to my brother’s best friend (let’s call him Y) and I was on good terms with the couple as well.  During various family visits Y’s son ended up getting engaged to X’s younger sister.  My future wife came to Australia to be a bridesmaid.  X and Y being the social lot they were kept inviting me to dinner; I kept saying no figuring it was a setup (I was quite happy being single).  After much pestering I decided to visit one time to shut them up.  That was either a good or bad move depending on what mood I am in at the moment :)

Sweet story, trcanberra. So was it one of those love at first sight things or was it over time that you two got together after getting to know each other? Or did she bug the living daylights out of you and you couldnt stand each other for months but it turned to love after some tragic accident involving a tractor but then there was a misunderstanding and you had to chase after her before she missed her plane – well that’s what happens in most soaps and crummy romantic films?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 January 2014
11.28pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5528sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Nothing so exciting as the tractor I’m afraid.  The first evening we met we stayed up until 4am chatting to one another then I spent the next month driving 150km round-trips from home to visit until X and Y just gave me access to a fold-up sofa in their spare room to stay.  Got engaged at the end of that month and married later in the year, just had our 26th anniversary.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

7 January 2014
11.35pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Very interesting, trcanberra. 

Ahhh Girl’s sports commentary in return. Many people in my state are thrilled that Auburn lost to Florida State in the BCS championship game last night. They say it signals a crack in the dominance of the Southeastern Conference over college football. Hopefully, they think, our conference will be able to recruit more top-tier players instead of so many of them wanting to go to SEC schools.

Several people at work were kind enough to ask me if this hurt my feelings since I grew up in SEC territory. Nah. I only went for one semester to an SEC law school before deciding I didn’t want to pursue a law degree/career (that’s a whole other story). The university where I got my library science degree is in Conference USA. Really, I feel free to cheer on the team of my choosing be it Rebels, Bulldogs, Sooners, or Cowboys.

8 January 2014
12.31am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5530sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

[SNIP].

Her mum was upset with me for some years as she came out here for a couple of months to attend a wedding and never went back (odd holidays excepted etc.)

8 January 2014
12.44am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5531sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is it obsessive to have 13 sets of Encyclopaedias in the house / garage?

7 sets are ‘active’ – I have 6 to give away but no one wants them :(

8 January 2014
12.57am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5532sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

[SNIP].

Her mum was upset with me for some years as she came out here for a couple of months to attend a wedding and never went back (odd holidays excepted etc.)

You used “was” in the first sentence. Did you ever get on good terms with your mother-in-law?

Yeah, that’s a lot of encyclopedia sets. Have you tried to unload them via ebay?

wetsroosa said

Ahhh Girl said

It’s a lovely and balmy 10 F as we speak here. Tomorrow it’ll be up to 32F- it’s almost like summer. a-hard-days-night-ringo-10

Do you have much wind to factor in to the “real” feel temperature? Remember, Oklahoma is where the “wind comes sweeping down the plain.”

8 January 2014
1.03am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5533sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Yes, we got on famously on the first trip we took over there.

On the books – I have advertised a few times with ‘free – just come and pick them up’ but unfortunately we are in an age when most people think older books have little value with the net ubiquitous.  I’ll keep at it – I’m sure I can find them a loving home one day.

8 January 2014
1.34am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Oh, good, a happy ending with the m-i-l.

A minor miracle occurred today at work. After three years of trying to persuade the director that we (my office mates and I) had come up with a really good way to get multiple tasks done with one **awesome** spreadsheet, she FINALLY came around to our way of thinking. I had totally given up hope with a move she had made recently. I thought she was going to make us abandon our precious, well-thought-out, and well-maintained spreadsheet. I was clueless about how we were going to proceed, and I was getting very anxious (well, pissed really). How should I celebrate this victory?

8 January 2014
2.26am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5535sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

A minor miracle occurred today at work. After three years of trying to persuade the director that we (my office mates and I) had come up with a really good way to get multiple tasks done with one **awesome** spreadsheet, she FINALLY came around to our way of thinking. I had totally given up hope with a move she had made recently. I thought she was going to make us abandon our precious, well-thought-out, and well-maintained spreadsheet. I was clueless about how we were going to proceed, and I was getting very anxious (well, pissed really). How should I celebrate this victory?

Starting on the Lennon box with a nice glass of wine and some cheese (assuming you partake – the OJ otherwise).

8 January 2014
2.44am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5536sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

Starting on the Lennon box with a nice glass of wine and some cheese (assuming you partake – the OJ otherwise).

Wine, cheese, and John do sound wonderful. But, I’ve just realized that I am smashingly tired. I guess I got dizzy giddy with the news, and now I’m relieved and totally relaxed to the eyes-glazing-over stage. I have one more observation to make on another thread, then it’s lights-out for Ahhh Girl. Wine, cheese, and John will have to wait.

But one more thought here before I go. The other day when you mentioned that your wife was into gospel music, I had wondered if her family were Christian missionaries to the Philippines. So, now I know the rest of the story. And, I’m with you on making her some cds and teaching her how to use the player she can listen while you’re out of the house.

trcanberra said

[snip]

That was either a good or bad move depending on what mood I am in at the moment :)

26 years together. I guess there have been many more good moods that bad. :-) You are under no obligation to reply :-)

8 January 2014
2.58am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5537sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ ha ha – WAY more good than bad luckily; I don’t think you could manage 26 years otherwise (well, I couldn’t).  Plus 3 truly great kids – which is worth a lot of negative karma wiped off the bad.

8 January 2014
3.02am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5538sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said
^ ha ha – WAY more good than bad luckily; I don’t think you could manage 26 years otherwise (well, I couldn’t).  Plus 3 truly great kids – which is worth a lot of negative karma wiped off the bad.

…and the lived happily ever after.

8 January 2014
2.48pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
5539sp_Permalink sp_Print

wetsroosa said

Ahhh Girl said

Do you have much wind to factor in to the “real” feel temperature? Remember, Oklahoma is where the “wind comes sweeping down the plain.”

Sorry it took so long to respond; internet’s down at my house. I didn’t factor in the wind chill- had I done so, we’d be at -8 F. And of course, the heat is not working at the office. So we’re all bundled up like kids from A Christmas Story. Thankfully it’s supposed to be warmer, the 32 F I mentioned before. By the weekend, it might be up to 55 F! Break out the suntan lotion!

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

9 January 2014
3.55pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
5540sp_Permalink sp_Print

Recently got a Paul Complete B-sides collection and neither is it complete (taking into account its release date) or all b-sides. Why include We All Stand Together (the friggin’ a-side) whilst omitting the gorgeous Humming instrumental b-side? If you’re going to put an album together and call it complete then make sure it is!

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694