Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
5 January 2014
12.15am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5461sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Lethal Weapon 2 has just finished and Cheer Down is the song that plays over the end credits. Not the regular reason for wanting a film to end. “If your dog should be dead, i’m gonna love you instead”.heartahdn_george_01

Nice one – I like the sound of that song but crazy lyrics.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

5 January 2014
12.21am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
5462sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

meanmistermustard said
Lethal Weapon 2 has just finished and Cheer Down is the song that plays over the end credits. Not the regular reason for wanting a film to end. “If your dog should be dead, i’m gonna love you instead”.heartahdn_george_01

Nice one – I like the sound of that song but crazy lyrics.

George was one for weird lyrics at times.heart

Just looking at that line “”If your dog should be dead, i’m gonna love you instead” and i wonder if George meant it in different ways: i’ll love you instead of your dog loving you and i loved your dog, now its dead i’ll love you. Knowing George’s sense of humour the second way wouldn’t surprise me. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 January 2014
1.01am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5463sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
[SNIP]
As an interesting side note, when I looked at trcanberra’s profile (BTW trcanberra, you have 1066 posts – hope your ancestors were on the winning side of the Battle of Hastings or either tried to stay out of the whole bloody mess altogether), and clicked on the “topics trcanberra has posted to” link, the thread where the conversation happened doesn’t show up.

Chalk it all up to the nerdy search geek in me. This stuff fascinates me.

Oh – another 1066 fact – ‘1066 And All That‘ is one of my favourite books.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

5 January 2014
1.26am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
5464sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

I just looked the book up on WorldCat, and a ton of libraries have it (the original or one of the reprints). Must be pretty darn good.

5 January 2014
2.00am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

I just looked the book up on WorldCat, and a ton of libraries have it (the original or one of the reprints). Must be pretty darn good.

This very well might be it – chapters 1 – 15. If not then, well it’s not.a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

Its 2:34am, i’m very tired, yet England are about to start batting in the final innings of the Ashes needing 448 runs to avoid a 5 – 0 and the thought of watching them being thrashed again is so appealing. I’d last 4 minutes. ahdn_paul_01

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 January 2014
2.42am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

I think it was a best-seller in its day.  Having been a history teacher at various periods of time I really identified with the way it presents British history as (mis)remembered by history students.  Some very funny bits if you get what they are referring to.

Oh – and the pictures add a lot to enjoying it.

5 January 2014
2.43am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5467sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

This very well might be it – chapters 1 – 15. If not then, well it’s not.a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

Its 2:34am, i’m very tired, yet England are about to start batting in the final innings of the Ashes needing 448 runs to avoid a 5 – 0 and the thought of watching them being thrashed again is so appealing. I’d last 4 minutes. ahdn_paul_01

Only 448?  They’ll get that before tea won’t they?

5 January 2014
2.50am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5468sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Only 448?  They’ll get that before tea won’t they?

They very well could be all out by tea. 1 wicket gone already after scoring 7 (seven) runs. Scotland are dreadful at cricket but even we could put up a better show than England are at the moment – just.

5 January 2014
2.51am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
5469sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

I think it was a best-seller in its day.  Having been a history teacher at various periods of time I really identified with the way it presents British history as (mis)remembered by history students.  Some very funny bits if you get what they are referring to.

Is the link mmm found the right book? It is hilarious. If we can’t find more of it online, I’ll have to get via interlibrary loan.

5 January 2014
2.59am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5470sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Is the link mmm found the right book? It is hilarious. If we can’t find more of it online, I’ll have to get via interlibrary loan.

Yes – there are 62 chapters all up.  I can quote the whole of the last chapter which deals with the period after World War I:

CHAPTER LXII

A BAD THING

AMERICA was thus clearly top nation, and History came to a .

5 January 2014
4.18am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
5471sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve been meaning to ask someone about this, but how does cricket work? Wickets, batsmen, bowlers, runs. It’s like a cross between croquet, baseball, and bowling it sounds like. But, really, can someone explain it? 

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

5 January 2014
4.40am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
I’ve been meaning to ask someone about this, but how does cricket work? Wickets, batsmen, bowlers, runs. It’s like a cross between croquet, baseball, and bowling it sounds like. But, really, can someone explain it? 

Umm – how long do you have?  :)

It’s like someone in the US trying to explain the tactical intricacies of American Football to the rest of the world.  Just the blocking patterns on different plays are mind-boggling.

OK – here goes:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out. When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

5 January 2014
4.45am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
5473sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

It’s like someone in the US trying to explain the tactical intricacies of American Football to the rest of the world.  Just the blocking patterns on different plays are mind-boggling.

OK – here goes:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out. When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Well, it’s the clearest explanation I’ve heard, so I’ll take it.a-hard-days-night-ringo-10

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

5 January 2014
4.47am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5474sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ haha – I got that on a tea towel last time I was on holiday in the UK, and while it is pretty close to technically correct it (of course) tells you next to nothing about the play of the game :)

5 January 2014
4.54am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
5475sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, let me see if I’ve got this right. In terms I understand: The pitcher throws the ball at a stick, and a batter tries to hit it. If he hits it, he can score as many runs as times he can run back and forth between two bases. The fielders try to get him out (how do you get someone out?). If the pitcher hits the stick, then the batter’s out. But, the pitcher has to change every 6 batters. And the inning is over when 10 of the 11 players have batted? 

OK, how did I do (apart from incorrect terms, I know about those)

5 January 2014
4.56am
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
5476sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

OK – here goes:

It’s confusing enough for Americans sometimes, too.

My team got eliminated tonight. ahdn_paul_01The long march towards the Super Bowl win that’ll never come continues…

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

5 January 2014
4.59am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
5477sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, yeah. I got some pleasure out of the Chiefs loss, as I’m a Steelers fan and I’m not feeling particularly charitable towards the Chiefs right now.

5 January 2014
5.01am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5478sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
Ok, let me see if I’ve got this right. In terms I understand: The pitcher throws the ball at a stick, and a batter tries to hit it. If he hits it, he can score as many runs as times he can run back and forth between two bases. The fielders try to get him out (how do you get someone out?). If the pitcher hits the stick, then the batter’s out. But, the pitcher has to change every 6 batters. And the inning is over when 10 of the 11 players have batted? 

OK, how did I do (apart from incorrect terms, I know about those)

You get someone out basically the same way you do in baseball – catch the ball on the full or run them out (in cricket, hit the wickets with the ball before they get there).  There are one or two other ways, including if the batsman blocks the ball with his legs and the umpire thinks it would have hit the stumps you can be out lbw (leg before wicket).  The bowler changes every 6 balls bowled, the new bowler bowls from the other end.

5 January 2014
5.09am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5479sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
Ah, yeah. I got some pleasure out of the Chiefs loss, as I’m a Steelers fan and I’m not feeling particularly charitable towards the Chiefs right now.

I’m a Packers fan – I have NO idea how we won the division this year – but that was one heck of an exciting final game.

5 January 2014
5.11am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers

Rodgers to Cobb! (Or was it Nelson, I forget?) One of the two. I was pretty much fixated on Kansas City /San Diego. Curse Ryan Succop.

Edit: Ooo, I’m on the Ed Sullivan Show, that’s fun.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694