Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
5 December 2013
10.25pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5261sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
Any hockey fans/players here? If so, favorite team/player?
As I’m from Pittsburgh, my favorites are the Penguins.

My favorite player is Martin St. Louis. 

Since 1960 – Manchester United / Shinji Kagawa.  erm, waht, they don’t count??

Haha. You like Premier League? I support Spurs. 

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

5 December 2013
10.27pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
5262sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Glad to hear you made it home safely, can’t have been a pleasant journey at times when driving in freezing rain. Enjoy your work at home, sounds like one heck of a task, how long does it take to list and obtain the books?

I usually start around the 3rd week of October getting ready for the spring semester which begins around January 9th or so. I can’t give it my full attention with all the distractions at work, but fit it in when I can. And I work on it at home a lot unfortunately. At least I have a staff member and a student worker that do all the processing of the books once I get them into the building or get them pulled from the regular collection. The faculty were late getting all the books into the bookstore manager so I was late getting the list this go around. The students will not be forgiving if their textbooks are not ready to go on the first day of classes in January. Crunch time for Ahhh Girl.

5 December 2013
10.57pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
5263sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Since you have to do a lot of it at home does that mean it’s on top of all your other work? Surely not or you’d never have a free moment.

Not having books ready for the first day or term was a common occurrence where i studied, at times we were waiting weeks and making do with photocopies of the relevant sections we needed. Wasn’t the lecturers fault, it was those in charge who passed the budgets and sanctioned us getting the books in the first place. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 December 2013
11.17pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
5264sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Since you have to do a lot of it at home does that mean it’s on top of all your other work? Surely not or you’d never have a free moment.

Not having books ready for the first day or term was a common occurrence where i studied, at times we were waiting weeks and making do with photocopies of the relevant sections we needed. Wasn’t the lecturers fault, it was those in charge who passed the budgets and sanctioned us getting the books in the first place. 

Yes, it is on top of all my other work. I set up the initial identifying procedures and cataloging rules when the program was first dropped into the library’s lap (we found out about it when administration made a big announcement during a university-wide faculty and staff meeting). We then tried letting some clerical staff handle the project one semester – oh what a mess. So, back to me it came. I guess I just do too good of a job. Damn organizational skills ruining what should be some of my free time. Oh well.

Students expect the books to be there the first day of class. Some even come in looking for the books ahead of time to get a head start on the semester.

6 December 2013
11.34pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

The Fender Stratocaster that Bob Dylan played at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival, the performance cited as when he “went electric”, today sold at auction in New York for a record $965,000/£591,000. He left it behind on his private plane after the performance, and it’s now the most valuable electric guitar in the world. And it was an off-the-shelf buy rather than a custom-build.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/worl…..a-25273104

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 December 2013
6.26pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
5266sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had a good Sinterklaas at Thursday! Quite pleased with my presents:

– A cushion with an owl on it

– A chakra bracelet with gemstones that have special powers, apparently

– A mini piggybank which was an owl. Very cute

– a face mask with cocos flavour

– a watch which is already broken.

– a necklace with a stone of which I don’t exactly know what it’s called in English. It’s a brown stone. Tiger eye?

– A letter of chocolate

I didn’t get THE book I was hoping for, despite my parents constantly telling me not to buy it, which I found very suspicious. I guess I just have to buy it myself then.

The rest of the week was pretty shitty. Had a lot of bad luck and I sort of broke down at school yesterday. I fell asleep during one class, because I was so ridiculously tired and stressed and when I awoke I started crying and couldn’t stop. My entire class could see it, which made me feel embarrassed which led to more crying. Fortunately they’re all adults and were all concerned about me and asked me what was wrong. It’s just that there’s too much going on and that I haven’t really been myself nor have been feeling well about myself lately. To make it all worse I had to work in the afternoon and had an argument with my boss. Such a great day.

Well later this evening we’re going to put up the Christmas tree and decorate the house so hopefully that will cheer me up.

7 December 2013
6.33pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5267sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry you’ve had a crap time of it over the last few days Linde, hopefully the weekend will give you a bit of a respite and chance to recharge the batteries. Take care of yourself.

A few or four questions;

How did they get the owl to stay on the cushion, was it well trained or was some food put down?

What is a letter of chocolate?

I take it you like owls considering you got two gifts with an owl theme.

Considering there are Sinterklaas presents do folks also do the whole christmas present thing or is it just spending time together and having fun. Would be expensive having to buy presents twice in the space of a few weeks.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 December 2013
7.16pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
5268sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whoops I meant with the image of an owl on it! It’s face printed all over it.

That’s chocolate in the shape of a letter. I got the L, as my name starts with an L. It’s a common Sinterklaas present for some reason. It’s also only available around that period.

Yeah I like owls. Owls and wolves are my favourite animals. I once said I like owls and now I constantly get all these owl themed things. When you look in my room it’s as if I collect everything owl-related. Funnily enough I don’t have anything with wolves on it. Just a lot of owls, shiva’s and rubber duckies (the only thing I do collect..or used to)

Most people in the Netherlands, like us, do the whole present thing during Sinterklaas, and use Christmas to spend time together and eat a lot, but some families do the present thing on Christmas day. I think I’d prefer doing it on the 5th of December instead of Christmas, but that’s probably because I’m so used to it. I would like doing it on Christmas day instead, but I think I would miss the whole Sinterklaas thing.

7 December 2013
7.48pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
5269sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope things get better for you, Linde. Glad your classmates were concerned.

Maybe you’ll get the book for Christmas?

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

7 December 2013
7.56pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5270sp_Permalink sp_Print

Shame about the owl not being a real one but then you’d have to look after it.

Would never have thought of that type of letter, i had the type of letter you get in the post.

I presume you have seen these before Linde.

owl,owls,all,you,need,is,love,beatles,cute,love-937be1c9f6870bb41ec36fafe93caff6_h_large.jpgImage Enlarger

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRHG0brX1N-H3PVudRN3uh_bHrF5iVjtW2zGn-mWoBaGUggiYKImage Enlarger
9k=Image Enlarger

8 December 2013
3.29pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
5271sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can anyone recommend a decent music player that doesn’t override your own labelling of tracks? On my old computer I had MusicMatch Jukebox which was brilliant, but I’ve been putting up with the Windows Media Player since I got this laptop because it’s Windows 7 and MusicMatch doesn’t work with it. It keeps fecking overriding my track labelling with garbage. It keeps putting the cover of a Love album on The Beatles at Candlestick Park! The 3rd disc of Purple Chick’s Sgt. Pepper has the cover for the soundtrack of the dreadful BeeGee’s film! It ignores track numbers and relabels them. For some reason it keeps relabelling How Do You It on one Purple Chick as Love Me Do (single version). A bunch of tracks on Purple Chicks Sgt. Pepper  it keeps telling me are by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra! I hate Windows Media Player! Any suggestions for a free replacement would be much appreciated.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 December 2013
5.06pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5272sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use the iTunes one, works fine for me. It has a few bugs, at times insisting that anything you buy in its store has to be the number of that track even if you want to change it, but 97% of the time it leaves the music alone and you can edit it when you want. You can fight and overcome the issues if you have the time and temperament.

8 December 2013
7.56pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

A little self-indulgence. 

I made my first pie from scratch, sauce, pastry etc (admittedly not the chicken, salt etc as im not God ), put it all together, baked it in the oven, ate it, and live to type this post. Woo-hoo. a-hard-days-night-john-1 I’m applying to be the next Nigella Lawson.a-hard-days-night-john-5

8 December 2013
8.38pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
5274sp_Permalink sp_Print

For those of us with UK style dates, it will be 11/12/13 in a few days :)

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

8 December 2013
8.48pm
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
5275sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
Can anyone recommend a decent music player that doesn’t override your own labelling of tracks? On my old computer I had MusicMatch Jukebox which was brilliant, but I’ve been putting up with the Windows Media Player since I got this laptop because it’s Windows 7 and MusicMatch doesn’t work with it. It keeps fecking overriding my track labelling with garbage. It keeps putting the cover of a Love album on The Beatles at Candlestick Park! The 3rd disc of Purple Chick’s Sgt. Pepper has the cover for the soundtrack of the dreadful BeeGee’s film! It ignores track numbers and relabels them. For some reason it keeps relabelling How Do You It on one Purple Chick as Love Me Do (single version). A bunch of tracks on Purple Chicks Sgt. Pepper  it keeps telling me are by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra! I hate Windows Media Player! Any suggestions for a free replacement would be much appreciated.

Itunes is superior, hands down.  apple01  Never have problems. 

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

8 December 2013
8.50pm
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
5276sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said
For those of us with UK style dates, it will be 11/12/13 in a few days :)

That’s “UK style”?  Never hear if it referred to that way…  we use it all the time.  

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

8 December 2013
8.52pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
5277sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry for not posting a lot recently, I’m working every weekend until Christmas 11am-7pm for €6.66/$9.12/£5.58 an hour…lovely a-hard-days-night-ringo-13 I also got a sore throat today a day after starting bloody work so I’ll be wrecked until the 23rd blue-meanie Going to crawl to bed now a-hard-days-night-paul-7That and if I ever hear Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas is you, I’ll go mental

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

8 December 2013
9.13pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5278sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
I use the iTunes one, works fine for me. It has a few bugs, at times insisting that anything you buy in its store has to be the number of that track even if you want to change it, but 97% of the time it leaves the music alone and you can edit it when you want. You can fight and overcome the issues if you have the time and temperament.

I gave up on iTunes and its miserable activation system.  We use a lot of PCs / macs / whatevers around here and I was forever running out of activations on the machine I wanted to use at the time.  Hey Apple, if I log in with my account what do you care which machine it is on?  There must be something in using the name Apple which makes people’s thought processes go crazy.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

8 December 2013
9.14pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5279sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
A little self-indulgence. 

I made my first pie from scratch, sauce, pastry etc (admittedly not the chicken, salt etc as im not God ), put it all together, baked it in the oven, ate it, and live to type this post. Woo-hoo. a-hard-days-night-john-1 I’m applying to be the next Nigella Lawson.a-hard-days-night-john-5

I look forward to seeing the DVDs of your show on special at the local video store :)

8 December 2013
9.45pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
5280sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
I hope things get better for you, Linde. Glad your classmates were concerned.

Maybe you’ll get the book for Christmas?

parlance

Nope, I’ll just buy it soon. I can use something to cheer me up and I’ll buy the standard edition anyway (with pain in my heart)

@MMM No I haven’t, except for the last one. Those Beatles-owl-figurines are very cool. Yeah I don’t know why chocolate letters are such a tradition and what exactly it has to do with Sinterklaas, but they’re good so that’s enough for me.

Oh and I always use iTunes too to play music, though lately I’ve been using Spotify a lot, but I’ve never paid attention to how songs were labelled. I just use it because it has a lot of songs I don’t necessarily want to have on my computer.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694