Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
4 December 2013
11.09am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5241sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

meanmistermustard said
AG, as our resident librarian i have a question for you.

I got a cd out of the library which went put into the the computer it registers it but when play is pressed all the tracks are quickly skipped thru before it stops. Tried it on a different machine and the same thing happens. Should i phone the library in the morning or just tell them when it’s returned?

I would phone them to see if others have asked them this same question and thus they have already done some troubleshooting with them. Sometimes people think it will take us hours to answer their question, but we have already answered that same question 5 time during the week and know the path well. Be prepared to tell them what the technical specs are for the machine you are using and the software program(s) you used to try to play it (Windows Media Player, etc).

Hopefully they haven’t played fast-and-loose along the fringes of copyright law and made backups of backup cds (clones of clones dropping in quality – reminds me of John’s tooth) that might be imports of some nature. It looks legit, right? And not too scratched up – I doubt it is a scratch issue though. It probably is more of a software issue.

Please update us with the answer you receive. Pass the wisdom along.

Anybody out there have something to add that might help in solving this problem?

Going by the paper ticket thing that has the date on it it’s never been taken out before (but it might just be a new piece of paper). Its not a copy, i think its just a dud.

Thank you.heart 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 December 2013
10.30pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
5242sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^ Oops, dud was the one I left out. Perhaps that is it. Hope they can get another copy.

Have any of you found yourself using the word “dodgy” more often since Joe talked about the dodgy blue carpet in his picture? I’ve noticed two BB’s use the word in the last 2 days. I used it in an email sent to my library group about the weather forecast for our state (we postponed our meeting to be on the safe side). I can’t get the word out of my mind now.

4 December 2013
10.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
5243sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I see a meme in the making.

I’m not sure I see that happening…

jYAHd.jpgImage Enlarger

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

5 December 2013
2.26am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5244sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

Ahhh Girl said
I see a meme in the making.

I’m not sure I see that happening…

jYAHd.jpgImage Enlarger

That is hilarious!

5 December 2013
3.01pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5245sp_Permalink sp_Print

How much has changed on your street since Google did it’s street view of it?

5 December 2013
3.13pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ahhh Girl said

Nothing. More surprised one of those carts came down my very bumpy lane as go at the wrong speed and your head will continually bounce of the car-roof whilst your body goes side to side and your suspension will become two.

How about yourself, AG, any changes to the street where you live?

Quite a day here weather-wise. Ferocious howling winds, driving rain, heavy dark skies, clear blue skies, and now there is light snow. The joys of winter.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 December 2013
4.09pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5247sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

Nothing. More surprised one of those carts came down my very bumpy lane as go at the wrong speed and your head will continually bounce of the car-roof whilst your body goes side to side and your suspension will become two.

How about yourself, AG, any changes to the street where you live?

Quite a day here weather-wise. Ferocious howling winds, driving rain, heavy dark skies, clear blue skies, and now there is light snow. The joys of winter.

Not much on our street either. The reason I thought of asking this was that the other day some people came by to look at the house that is for sale next to my mother-in-law’s house. Hubby was out working on the new garage he is building (as a side note, I know the steps of installing a garage door if anyone needs help). He overheard one of the guys say, “Those cars have been sitting in that same spot for 5 year because they are in the Google street view.” They didn’t know that hubby could hear them. He quipped back at them, “More like they have been there for well over 5 years.” That started up a 45-minute conversation about the house and the area.

The whole region around here is watching the skies. We are in for a wintry mix starting any moment now. The freezing rain is the biggest fear because it takes down power lines. We had a bad storm 2 years ago that kept us out of power for a week. What was even worse was that the water department for our little community didn’t have a generator so the pumps went down, and we were without water for a few days. Luckily, there is a shower at hubby’s office I could use before he took me to work.

5 December 2013
5.17pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I just had a look at my street on Street View for the first time. It’s a relatively recent picture. Probably around March/April this year. It’s already out of date. I can date it pretty easy. A bit further up the road from me (I live on a long road, with housing only on one side as I live opposite a river which has a narrow-ish park running alongside it), a site was fenced off for development work with two tower blocks within it at the end of last year/beginning of this year. The blue fence is up and surrounding it, the tower blocks are still standing, and there are leaves on some trees but not others. Which I’d guess makes the picture early this year.

The tower blocks were taken down during the first half of summer. With too many buildings too close to them, they couldn’t use explosives to bring them down but had to take them down manually over a couple of months – watching them come down a floor at a time was quite interesting. Anyway, since then they’ve been building 67 houses and apartments to replace them, and they are now nearly finished.

So, although my street has been updated this year, it’s already outdated.

One thing that hasn’t changed, my curtains are still drawn!

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

5 December 2013
6.03pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5249sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just looked at our street view again.

Hubby’s old truck that we traded in during the Cash-for-Clunkers program is in the driveway.

Our beautiful Bradford Pear tree that has since died looks so nice :-(

Mrs. Dodd hadn’t put up that fence yet to keep out MaryAnn’s dogs.

Those are the only differences I see.

5 December 2013
7.05pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5250sp_Permalink sp_Print

They are sending us home due to the weather. Hope I make it home safely.

5 December 2013
7.44pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5251sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck with your journey, AG! Be sure to let us know you make it home ok.

5 December 2013
8.04pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
5252sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
Good luck with your journey, AG! Be sure to let us know you make it home ok.

Yup yup – we want a live feed all the way home!!

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

5 December 2013
8.49pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5253sp_Permalink sp_Print

AG could go on facebook and post every step she makes, other people do. 

Let us know you’re home safely AG.

5 December 2013
8.57pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5254sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks. I’m home safe and sound. I was driving north right into the freezing rain. My windshield defroster barely kept pace.

5 December 2013
9.15pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5255sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
Thanks. I’m home safe and sound. I was driving north right into the freezing rain. My windshield defroster barely kept pace.

Yip yip yippee – glad to hear it – coffee and muffins all round.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

5 December 2013
9.40pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5256sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

Blueberry for me, thanks.

Now I am going to settle in to get some work done. Just because the university is closed doesn’t mean my work can end. I am the person on campus put in charge of processing the university’s textbook “Check-It-Out” program. The university sets aside some funds which I use to purchase course textbooks that meet the guidelines set forth by the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Each semester, I have to go through the entire course offerings and the bookstore’s textbook list and identify the books that need to be included in the program. Some of them I purchase from the bookstore, and some are books that the library already owns that I have to pull to put in the textbook collection. Once the semester starts, students can check the textbooks out for 4 hours. There have been some bumps in the road on making the program work out, but for the most part, it is a real benefit to our students.

5 December 2013
9.48pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5257sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

Blueberry for me, thanks.

Now I am going to settle in to get some work done. Just because the university is closed doesn’t mean my work can end. I am the person on campus put in charge of processing the university’s textbook “Check-It-Out” program. The university sets aside some funds which I use to purchase course textbooks that meet the guidelines set forth by the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Each semester, I have to go through the entire course offerings and the bookstore’s textbook list and identify the books that need to be included in the program. Some of them I purchase from the bookstore, and some are books that the library already owns that I have to pull to put in the textbook collection. Once the semester starts, students can check the textbooks out for 4 hours. There have been some bumps in the road on making the program work out, but for the most part, it is a real benefit to our students.

Sounds like a great program – I used to hate having key books out on lengthy loans.

5 December 2013
10.16pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
5258sp_Permalink sp_Print

Any hockey fans/players here? If so, favorite team/player?
As I’m from Pittsburgh, my favorites are the Penguins.

My favorite player is Martin St. Louis. 

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

5 December 2013
10.17pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5259sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
Any hockey fans/players here? If so, favorite team/player?
As I’m from Pittsburgh, my favorites are the Penguins.

My favorite player is Martin St. Louis. 

Since 1960 – Manchester United / Shinji Kagawa.  erm, waht, they don’t count??

5 December 2013
10.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5260sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad to hear you made it home safely, can’t have been a pleasant journey at times when driving in freezing rain. Enjoy your work at home, sounds like one heck of a task, how long does it take to list and obtain the books?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691