Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
15 November 2013
8.23pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

fabfouremily said
Anyone have any ideas on what to do when you’ve had the week from hell, and you know next week will be pretty much the same, and you’re dreading it? I know we’re only at Friday night, but last Sunday I put off going to bed ’till I couldn’t keep my eyes open any more, just wanting to deny that the new week is nigh, and that didn’t work. Want to try something else this week – ha!

How’s all the other biblers tonight?

I’d suggest doing anything fun to get your mind away from the last week, let loose and enjoy yourself fully over the weekend, forget what might happen next week and hopefully it’s not as bad a week as you think it will be Emily 

I’m currently sitting watching the Scotland friendly football match against the USA (currently 0-0 and not very inspiring) whilst the Top 10 Doctor Who Enemies on BBC 3 records.

Yesterday i saw a doctor who told me i could take a medicine as he didn’t know what was in it. There’s professionalism for you.a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 November 2013
8.42pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
5102sp_Permalink sp_Print

Emily, I hate that you are feeling that way. Find yourself some distractions this weekend that will help you get your mind off the week past and the week to come. Go to a busy location and do some people watching. Lose your self in a book at the library. Clean out and organize your closet and your sock drawer. Walk through your neighborhood imagining the houses/buildings being a different color and different trees/flowers/shrubbery; mentally decorate them the way you would if you lived there. Count how many steps there are from point a to point b. Find shapes in the clouds. Bake cookies and share them with a friend. 

15 November 2013
8.46pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
5103sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
Anyone have any ideas on what to do when you’ve had the week from hell, and you know next week will be pretty much the same, and you’re dreading it? I know we’re only at Friday night, but last Sunday I put off going to bed ’till I couldn’t keep my eyes open any more, just wanting to deny that the new week is nigh, and that didn’t work. Want to try something else this week – ha!

I’m not sure, but I believe you are not of drinking age? That means a drunken stupor is out of the question.
A few techniques that have worked for me (aside from the aforementioned stupor) are… 

• Imagine your mind is a chalkboard with all of your troubles written on it. Slowly erase them.
  • Imagine your mind is a window looking out on to all of your troubles. Slowly pull the shade down/close the curtains.
  • Starting at your toes, tell your body to go to sleep (go to sleep toes – go to sleep feet – go to sleep ankles, etc…). It is incredible how relaxing this one can be.

They sound too simple, but really work. Hope that helps.

mal-evans

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

15 November 2013
9.13pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
5104sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said

How’s all the other biblers tonight?

I try and remember each CD on my Beatle shelf in order and that usually puts me to sleep – I NEVER make it to Starr, I usually fall asleep somewhere in McCartney :)

It can also help to focus on some cool things you will be doing next month, and let next week take care of itself.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

16 November 2013
11.41am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
5105sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for your advice everyone. Some very good suggestions apple01apple01

I’m going out for a bit today. Maybe into town, do some shopping or something. I dunno. We’ll see where my feet take me.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

16 November 2013
12.54pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
5106sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck, Emily. I also find that journalling almost always helps me.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

16 November 2013
5.44pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5107sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said

I’m going out for a bit today. Maybe into town, do some shopping or something. I dunno. We’ll see where my feet take me.

Hope you will give us a report when you return.

16 November 2013
9.00pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5108sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said

Good on you. Enjoy every second of your weekend.

parlance said

parlance

Yeah, i’ve been doing this for nearly 8 years. Helps a lot getting my thoughts down on paper – tho not always easy looking back over them.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

16 November 2013
11.38pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
5109sp_Permalink sp_Print

^

I used to have a diary but after a very short time I became incredibly bored with it and became too lazy.

Wow this week was weird. I had a fight with a colleague, I passed another exam, and I randombly bought a keyboard. Yes people, the next Mozart has stood up. So far, besides the stuff I could play already, I’ve managed to teach myself the intro of Strawberry Fields Forever and the outro of Let It Be .

I also went out last Thursday, with some classmates. It was really a lot of fun and I had a chat with some guy who asked me for my number. We’ve been talking all day on Whatsapp and now he asked me out on a date! Ha. I’m actually kind of excited.

Anyway, it was fun, but my train home only went at 5.15 and I was all alone. And damn, a train station at night isn’t a nice place. Also, I went by foot instead of bike to the trainstation, because I didn’t dare to leave my bike there all night, so when I finally got back into my city, I had to walk all the way back to my house. It’s not a long walk, but I made it long, because I tried to avoid all the creepy streets and dark corners as much as possible. I only slept for 3 hours and that afternoon I had to work again. I’ll never do it again that way.

16 November 2013
11.43pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5110sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
^

I used to have a diary but after a very short time I became incredibly bored with it and became too lazy.

Wow this week was weird. I had a fight with a colleague, I passed another exam, and I randombly bought a keyboard. Yes people, the next Mozart has stood up. So far, besides the stuff I could play already, I’ve managed to teach myself the intro of Strawberry Fields Forever and the outro of Let It Be .

I also went out last Thursday, with some classmates. It was really a lot of fun and I had a chat with some guy who asked me for my number. We’ve been talking all day on Whatsapp and now he asked me out on a date! Ha. I’m actually kind of excited.

Anyway, it was fun, but my train home only went at 5.15 and I was all alone. And damn, a train station at night isn’t a nice place. Also, I went by foot instead of bike to the trainstation, because I didn’t dare to leave my bike there all night, so when I finally got back into my city, I had to walk all the way back to my house. It’s not a long walk, but I made it long, because I tried to avoid all the creepy streets and dark corners as much as possible. I only slept for 3 hours and that afternoon I had to work again. I’ll never do it again that way.

Glad you got home safely. Hope the guy turns out to be a keeper…even if not for romance at least for friendship.

16 November 2013
11.47pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5111sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think you were very sensible in avoiding the more dangerous routes home even if it took longer than normal. Far better taking an extra 10 minutes and ensuring your safety then risking it to be home a little earlier.

Enjoy you’re date. Hopefully you have a good time.

17 November 2013
9.37am
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
5112sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck on your date, Linde. Hope it goes well apple01

Ahhh Girl said

fabfouremily said

Hope you will give us a report when you return.

I went into the city and had a look around the shops, bought myself a jumper, and then went and found a particular world-known coffee shop, where I hogged a seat for as long as I dared. Then I just went for a walk without doing anything especially. It was freezing though, so I came home after a few hours. I enjoyed it, though. I’m going to make the effort to get out more in future.

Thanks again, everyone heart

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

17 November 2013
1.55pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5113sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I’m glad you enjoyed you time wandering. It helps me to get outside of myself, so to say, to go and see other people busy at life.

We Americans are told (I’m not going to assume anymore that we are being taught correctly…I  learned my lesson on that one earlier on the forum) that it is acceptable in Europe to linger at a table in a restaurant or coffee shop. The other day after a meeting up in OKC, I went to Applebee’s for a late lunch. I wasn’t in a big hurry so I took my time reading the Paul McCartney special issue of Rolling Stone while slowly savoring my meal. I felt like the waitress was trying to shuffle me out of the door even though the place was only 1/3 full. I’m sure there were open tables in her section for more customers/more tips.

17 November 2013
1.57pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
5114sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well it was a Staurday morning so quite busy. When it’s cold people like to come inside and get warmed up for a bit before carrying on with their shopping. There were one or two empty tables but not many, and the queue was almost out the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

17 November 2013
2.40pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5115sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
Well it was a Staurday morning so quite busy. When it’s cold people like to come inside and get warmed up for a bit before carrying on with their shopping. There were one or two empty tables but not many, and the queue was almost out the door.

The queue for that coffee shop’s drive thru window in my town spills out onto the street sometimes. Luckily it is a minor side side street and not a main road.

I never go to said coffee shop while I am in the U.S., but it is an almost daily part of our trips when we are in large European cities. There’s always one near by and we do a lot of walking so it is easy to pop in.

17 November 2013
2.46pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
5116sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love them more than I wish I did, if I’m honest. I do support little buisnesses too, but their coffee (and cake) is nice – if overpriced.

Who will be the first person to actually name the company we’re talking about? a-hard-days-night-john-6

(Passover - I. Curtis)

17 November 2013
3.37pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
5117sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starsucks?

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

17 November 2013
3.43pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5118sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
I love them more than I wish I did, if I’m honest. I do support little buisnesses too, but their coffee (and cake) is nice – if overpriced.

Who will be the first person to actually name the company we’re talking about? a-hard-days-night-john-6

Mrs Miggins Coffee Shop.

17 November 2013
4.42pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
5119sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

parlance said

parlance

Yeah, i’ve been doing this for nearly 8 years. Helps a lot getting my thoughts down on paper – tho not always easy looking back over them.

Funny you mention because last night I went to see Mortified Nation, a documentary based on stage shows around the country (and now Sweden as well) where people read from their teenage diaries to an audience. It was mostly funny, though there were also poignant moments.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

17 November 2013
4.49pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
5120sp_Permalink sp_Print

That sounds quite interesting, and funny, too. I used to keep a diary but I kept losing it. Something told me to see that as a sign, as I look after my things and never lose anything.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691