Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
27 October 2013
9.21pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4881sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pilsbury?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 October 2013
10.33pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
4882sp_Permalink sp_Print

So as to not derail another thread, I’ll ask trcanberra this question here. Why did your family move to Australia? I don’t think you’ve told us yet. If so, just point me to the answer. 

28 October 2013
4.23pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
4883sp_Permalink sp_Print

Has anyone on here ever been to a memorial for a musicians death? I know there’s one held for John in liverpool each year ( http://www.cavernclub.org/news…..e-monument ), and I think I want to go, but I’m a bit worried I’ll just get too upset. I mean, I’ll get upset regardless of where I am, but at least I won’t be seen if I’m at home, not that that really bothers me too much. Just wondered if anyone’s ever been to anything similar?

Also I don’t know what these vigils are like. If it’s going to be really tacky then I’ll avoid it.

Sorry to bring this morbid topic up heartheart

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

28 October 2013
4.24pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

I was thinking of going to the ones at the Hollywood Walk of Fame for George and John, but I’m not sure I can handle it. I’ll see how I feel those days.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

28 October 2013
4.27pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4885sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I don’t want to leave it right ’till the last minute and then I can’t get train tickets and/or there’s nobody to take me.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

28 October 2013
4.32pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
4886sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, I understand more planning is involved for you. Maybe you could find a friend to go with or even a board member to meet, which might make it easier to bear?

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

28 October 2013
4.35pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

Oh God if I went to a memorial for John or/and George, I’d be a wreck, I’m already gloomy enough on those dates but especially if I went to a George memorial, I’d be a mess :/

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

28 October 2013
4.36pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4888sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was thinking of asking a friend to come along, but I have none that are fans so it doesn’t really make much sense. There’s my mom, I guess, who at least enjoys his music. I don’t know.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

28 October 2013
4.40pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
4889sp_Permalink sp_Print

Its €15 for a flight from Dublin to Liverpool, so long as I get somewhere to stay I’d be able to go over for the day :P Would have to be back for school on Monday though :/

28 October 2013
4.52pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4890sp_Permalink sp_Print

15 quid? That all? Gosh.

Do you want to spend a day in Liverpool, Katie? :)

(Passover - I. Curtis)

28 October 2013
5.01pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

Even though the circumstances are less than ideal, that would be so awesome if you guys met up.

parlance

28 October 2013
5.14pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
4892sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
15 quid? That all? Gosh.

Do you want to spend a day in Liverpool, Katie? :)

That would be savage :P And at the 15 quid thing, God bless Ryanair! apple01

I’d arrive in Liverpool at 8:30am

Arrive back in Dublin 7:20am on the 9th, I’d be a bit late for school, I’d have to get the train from Dublin but yeah €30 for the two flights, great!

Getting it past Mam is another problem though and the fact that I have to be 16 to fly alone on Ryanair blue-meanie

I’m actually planning to go to London & Liverpool once I have school finished can you wait ’til 2015 Emily? a-hard-days-night-george-10 That’d be great, go mental in Liverpool :D

28 October 2013
5.43pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
4893sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
Has anyone on here ever been to a memorial for a musicians death? I know there’s one held for John in liverpool each year ( http://www.cavernclub.org/news…..e-monument ), and I think I want to go, but I’m a bit worried I’ll just get too upset. I mean, I’ll get upset regardless of where I am, but at least I won’t be seen if I’m at home, not that that really bothers me too much. Just wondered if anyone’s ever been to anything similar?

Also I don’t know what these vigils are like. If it’s going to be really tacky then I’ll avoid it.

Sorry to bring this morbid topic up heartheart

When you go, even if you go alone, you will not be the only one there who will be upset. It would be easier with a friend, but don’t let that prevent you from going. I was only 17 when he passed. Today, I still weep openly on the anniversary of his death. I know I am not the only one who does.

By all means go and take it all in.a-hard-days-night-john-3 John would have wanted you to.

apple01

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

28 October 2013
6.23pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059
4894sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m a bit bipolar when gets near the anniversary of John’s death, even though I was not alive when he actually passed. December 7th is my birthday, so I’m happy; however, the following day I’m all sad because its the anniversary. I normally will  wear black for the whole day or where Beatley shirt and listen to John songs. 

28 October 2013
6.44pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4895sp_Permalink sp_Print

Katie, is it only Ryanair you can fly with? You only have to be 15 with Jet2, you know.
Zig, I think I will go, even if it means going on my own. Like you say, there’ll be other people there the same way as me. There’s a part of me that actually wants to go alone, though I think I might regret that if it came to it.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

28 October 2013
7.16pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
4896sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck, em!

And now for something completely different…

In a different thread, fabfouremily mentioned her distaste for adverts on television. Recently, I had been thinking about how target marketing has followed me throughout my lifetime – I have always loved watching TV. When I was a kid watching Scooby-Doo cartoons (yes folks, the original series from 1969!) I remember commercials for sugary breakfast cereals and whatever “gotta-have-it” toys/games were being sold during that particular Christmas season. Later in my childhood/young adulthood came the adverts for acne creams, latest fashions, music, etc…. Now I’m watching shows that have commercials for the HurryCane, attorneys who want to sue on my behalf for bad hip replacements and remedies for erectile dysfunction. I am quite delighted to say that I require none of the above but God , I miss those sugary cereal commercials!

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

28 October 2013
8.11pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
4897sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Pilsbury?

Yes – I think that was the one – some of the ads on that show are better than some of the acts :)

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

28 October 2013
8.20pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
4898sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
So as to not derail another thread, I’ll ask trcanberra this question here. Why did your family move to Australia? I don’t think you’ve told us yet. If so, just point me to the answer. 

They had a whole bunch of reasons, there was a big wave of migration from the UK to Australia at the time in response to the gloomy economy in the ‘old country’.  My uncle and his family came here as well, even my grandparents came out for a bit but got homesick and went back.  The government here also subsidised the fares heavily – we only paid 10 quid each for a month on a very nice cruise ship to get here.

A few of the reasons included dad getting a great job offer (which fizzled while we were on the boat), I was a sickly little kid and doctors recommended a change of climate to something warmer (I think I almost matched Ringo for days lost at school – I missed half of my first year in secondary school), my brother was one of those delinquents you read about in Lewisohn and they wanted to get him away from the environment, mum liked the look of koalas, on it goes :)

It’s been great overall, though I don’t get back to Wales as often as I would like, I quite miss the old place at times – plus I loved the museums and art galleries in London.  Turner is my favourite artist – luckily we just had a great exhibition here from the Tate to celebrate Canberra’s centenary.

Sorry, I’m rambling – hope that lot didn’t bore people too much.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

28 October 2013
8.37pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
4899sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Nice mix of national historical information and family history. I learned something.

28 October 2013
8.43pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
4900sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Nice mix of national historical information and family history. I learned something.

Cheers.  On a Beatles-related note, my first school day trip away from the family was to Liverpool.  We were all mad Beatles fans, teachers included, so we did a tour of some of the fan spots (this was around 1967) – it was great to see many of the places that were usually just on the news.  I’ve been trying to track down my photos, I had the first use of the family’s old black & white, but no luck so far.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691