Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
3 October 2013
2.16am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4581sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
I’m right handed and use my left hand first when counting using my hands (I also play pool with my left hand and can paint, cut out and other stuff using both).

I can see some newbie coming on, clicking this topic first and reading about the different way we count using our fingers and thumbs, and thinking we are all barmy. Some introduction to a Beatles forum.

Perhaps the conversation should have gone something like this:

When you count to 4 Beatles, which finger do you start counting with? 

If you just want to indicate 4 Beatles, which fingers would you hold up?

3 October 2013
5.50am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456

What a bizarrely fascinating/mundane thing to be discussing. If I needed to count tens on my fingers, I would go left pinkie => right pinkie. I would hold up my four literal fingers (thumb hidden) to indicate “4” with my hand, since it seems the easiest way to do so. And for “3” I would likewise do the least difficult thing: thumb, index finger, middle finger. And until I saw “Inglourious Basterds” I had NO notion that employing the much-more-difficult (for me, anyways) index/middle/ring finger method was a particularly European thing to do.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

3 October 2013
5.50am
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059

cbatcu said

meanmistermustard said
I’m right handed and use my left hand first when counting using my hands (I also play pool with my left hand and can paint, cut out and other stuff using both).

I can see some newbie coming on, clicking this topic first and reading about the different way we count using our fingers and thumbs, and thinking we are all barmy. Some introduction to a Beatles forum.

Perhaps the conversation should have gone something like this:

When you count to 4 Beatles, which finger do you start counting with? 

If you just want to indicate 4 Beatles, which fingers would you hold up?

Index, middle, ring, & pinky; however, I have counted starting with the thumb and didn’t know it was “European”. a-hard-days-night-george-10  I also count beginning with either hand except for sign language, which I use my right hand & you count mostly on one hand. I write with my right hand, but I use my left for several tasks. 

3 October 2013
5.57am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456
4584sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

Some Tom Clancy movies…

The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, OP Center, Splinter Cell, NetForce, The Sum of All Fears, Without Remorse and this year’s Jack Ryan.

Haven’t read any (though I saw CaPD and it was OK) but I really disliked the guy based on a couple of interview/profiles I read.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

3 October 2013
6.55am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
4585sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

I was thinking that the person who started this thread:

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..pointment/

would be particularly impressed!!

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

3 October 2013
7.23am
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members

I forgot about that thread. a-hard-days-night-paul-10Its funny looking back on it. 

3 October 2013
2.29pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4587sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

For those that start counting with a thumb, say “1”:

Image Enlarger

Yes, I agree that the Day in the Life thread beats all.

Should we have a “Newbies, don’t start with these 3 (or some other number) threads” thread? Nah, it would just make them more curious, and they would start with those.

3 October 2013
6.18pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
4588sp_Permalink sp_Print

The BBC has an interview with Ray Davies where he is “renegotiating” with his brother over a reunion for their 50th Anniversary. If there was there would be new material.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 October 2013
6.28pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
4589sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu said

meanmistermustard said

For those that start counting with a thumb, say “1”:

Image Enlarger

Yes, I agree that the Day in the Life thread beats all.

Should we have a “Newbies, don’t start with these 3 (or some other number) threads” thread? Nah, it would just make them more curious, and they would start with those.

That drawing is clever yet, creepy all at the same time.

3 October 2013
6.32pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
4590sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
The BBC has an interview with Ray Davies where he is “renegotiating” with his brother over a reunion for their 50th Anniversary. If there was there would be new material.

That would be awesome if they got back together. apple01

4 October 2013
12.26am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
4591sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does anyone else feel guilty at the thought of putting their dog(s) in the kennels? Its not even doing it, just the thought of doing so.a-hard-days-night-paul-3

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 October 2013
12.51am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4592sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Does anyone else feel guilty at the thought of putting their dog(s) in the kennels? Its not even doing it, just the thought of doing so.a-hard-days-night-paul-3

Do you mean little dog cage/carrier type things? or taking them to like a dog “babysitter”?

4 October 2013
4.27pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
4593sp_Permalink sp_Print

There’s no need to feel bad about it. I used to take my cat to the catery and he wouldn’t get out his carry case, sulking, but then when it came to bringing him home he didn’t want to leave. Like, really didn’t want to, he wouldn’t come to us and get back in!

If you need to go away, what else are you going to do with it? He’ll be fine for a little while without you.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

4 October 2013
4.31pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
4594sp_Permalink sp_Print

My first cat Fluffy ran away when we left it with our neighbour for a weekend :(

Completely off-topic: But I truly believe I was a cat in a past life, I can mimic cats exactly and there are many wild/stray cats around my area and I’m the only person who they will come up to and let me stroke them… ahdn_paul_01

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

4 October 2013
4.36pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
4595sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ There is no off-topic, that’s the whole point of the ‘impossible to derail’ thread :D

We considered leaving our cat with the neighbours but quickly remembered that we didn’t/don’t have the kind of neighbours you’d want to leave your cat with. :( I wouldn’t want to stay there, so why should he have done?

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

4 October 2013
9.35pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4596sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dear Beatles Bible forum band,

I really need your help. I have an opportunity to advance in rank from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor. My supervisor and the person I have chosen to head my advancement committee both agree that I have the credentials to pass the review. I just have to get my portfolio ready by 15 October.

Please hold my feet to the fire to make sure I get the portfolio done on time. I’ve always gotten other high-importance documents turned in on time. I just thought putting my information out here to all of you would give me the extra motivation I need to get through yet another one.

Thanks for any positive waves you can send my way.

cbatcu

4 October 2013
9.42pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

cbatcu said

I really need your help. I have an opportunity to advance in rank from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor. My supervisor and the person I have chosen to head my advancement committee both agree that I have the credentials to pass the review. I just have to get my portfolio ready by 15 October.

Please hold my feet to the fire to make sure I get the portfolio done on time. I’ve always gotten other high-importance documents turned in on time. I just thought putting my information out here to all of you would give me the extra motivation I need to get through yet another one.

cbatcu

I’ve got the first draft of a history project due on the same day, I’ve got a 1/4 of it done, it’s on John’s murder, it’s worth 20% of my overall history mark. IF I WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE I have to get 20% in it and you have to be Associate Professor, if you don’t get your portfolio in by that time you’ll be letting me and all the Beatles Biblers down and a puppy will die

Specifically this puppy:

ZImage Enlarger

Do you want the puppy to die?

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Starr Shine?

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

4 October 2013
9.49pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4598sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^ No puppy deaths on my account! I promise Katie! And best of luck to you. I wish that historical event hadn’t happened, but since it did, I think it is an interesting one for your project.

4 October 2013
10.59pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
4599sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu said

cbatcu

*sending as many positive vibes across as will fit on the airwaves*

Now, get to that portfolio!  A bit each day and it will be over and done in no time.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

5 October 2013
12.18am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4600sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, trcanberra. I made a bit of a dent in it this afternoon. For one, I found the motivation to get started. I went to another computer lab on campus so I could work on it without so many distractions – namely the piles of papers on my cart that need attention. I’ll work on it some from home this weekend so I don’t lose my motivation.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Old Soak
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694