Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
2 October 2013
1.15pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4561sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow – I was all alone a couple of minutes ago and now we have quite the crowd on.

Party time?

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

2 October 2013
1.42pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
4562sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said
Wow – I was all alone a couple of minutes ago and now we have quite the crowd on.

Party time?

Still partying? I see quite a few people still on now.

2 October 2013
3.54pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
4563sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sad news! Just breaking, not many details yet, but the great American author Tom Clancy passed away Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital aged 66.

Tom Clancy, pictured at a New York book signing in 2003, died Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital, his hospital reported.Image Enlarger

RIP Tom.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

2 October 2013
5.17pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4564sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a feeling that some older folks who could really add lots of interesting stories to the forum (those who lived through the initial Beatlemania for example), just don’t like and use computers. I bet they could really entertain us.

2 October 2013
5.30pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
4565sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
Tom Clancy passed away Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital aged 66

I’m sorry to say I’ve only read one of his books. I remember enjoying it very much but haven’t read any others – not sure why.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

2 October 2013
5.38pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
4566sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
Sad news! Just breaking, not many details yet, but the great American author Tom Clancy passed away Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital aged 66.

RIP Tom.

Sad news. I’m not a huge fiction fan so never read his books but it would be daft not to recognise how highly respected, and successful, an author he was.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 October 2013
5.38pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
4567sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

mja6758 said
Tom Clancy passed away Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital aged 66

I’m sorry to say I’ve only read one of his books. I remember enjoying it very much but haven’t read any others – not sure why.

But then I’m sure you’ve seen films that were based on his novels, as many were. With the classic early example being The Hunt for Red October.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

2 October 2013
8.56pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
4568sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8I don’t recall ever seeing any of the movies based on his books.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

2 October 2013
9.25pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
4569sp_Permalink sp_Print

Some Tom Clancy movies…

The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, OP Center, Splinter Cell, NetForce, The Sum of All Fears, Without Remorse and this year’s Jack Ryan.

2 October 2013
10.05pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4570sp_Permalink sp_Print

I haven’t seen any either.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 October 2013
10.48pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
4571sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu said
I have a feeling that some older folks who could really add lots of interesting stories to the forum (those who lived through the initial Beatlemania for example), just don’t like and use computers. I bet they could really entertain us.

So what do you want to know?

My only Beatles moments are ‘near misses’.  I was born in Bangor and when the Beatles were there with the Maharishi I was all set to go join the mob but then Brian died and they left.  And on it goes … so I’m afraid I don’t have anything too entertaining at this end.

I could do some tap dancing?  :)

PS – I don’t like computers but have used them since building one from a kit many many years ago.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

2 October 2013
11.05pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4572sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^a-hard-days-night-paul-11OK, Mr. Smarty Pants. Between you and MMM, my sides are splitting!

2 October 2013
11.33pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
4573sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu said
^^a-hard-days-night-paul-11OK, Mr. Smarty Pants. Between you and MMM, my sides are splitting!

Who, me? *gives not very convincing innocent grin*

Give me a sec, I’m just trying to get the ram into the keyboard socket so I can reboot my coffee maker …

Darn technology!!

2 October 2013
11.40pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4574sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am entertained. Have some apples for all that hard work apple01apple01apple01, trcanberra

3 October 2013
12.24am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

trcanberra said

cbatcu said

So what do you want to know?

My only Beatles moments are ‘near misses’.  I was born in Bangor and when the Beatles were there with the Maharishi I was all set to go join the mob but then Brian died and they left.  And on it goes … so I’m afraid I don’t have anything too entertaining at this end.

I could do some tap dancing?  :)

PS – I don’t like computers but have used them since building one from a kit many many years ago.

Whats you going to join the mob got to do with the Beatles being in Bangor? Is this a Paul is dead thing with the mafia being involved or did Brian’s death save you from a life of crime.

Tap dancing is pretty pointless as we cant see it. You’d have to film it, then upload it to the net and post it here. Seems like a lot of effort. Tho if it makes you happy go ahead. Ringo tap dances on record.a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

Computers are fine until they do things they just shouldn’t do. Anyone who says its the computer operator who is to blame really should just keep quiet or they might find a laptop coming towards them very very fast.

3 October 2013
12.29am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
4576sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu and others:

I’m born and raised American, and all my life I have counted starting with my thumb, then moving on from there.

However, it seems like cbatcu has been referring to two different things: one is simple counting, but the other was showing to other people with your hand’s fingers a number.  Didn’t you say, cbatcu, that you thought the Euro way was to show, for example, three, with the thumb, index and middle finger out?

In terms of this, all my life if I wanted to indicate three (I haven’t had many occasions to do that, since I don’t work with Cirque du Soleil in Vegas directing their trios of mimes or clowns or bird-men; and usually if someone asks me how many apples or cookies or screws I want and I want three, I just say “three” unless they’re hearing impaired), I would hold up my index, middle and ring finger, while folding in my thumb and little finger — sort of looks like a Churchillian Victory “V” sign, only a “W” (which I’d like to use someday to start an It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World movement…).

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

3 October 2013
12.39am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4577sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was seeing them as the same. When I start counting with my fingers, I put my index finger up first, then follow with  middle, ring, pinky, then thumb. I always start with my right hand (I am right-handed).

Also, if I want to indicate “1” to someone, it is my index finger that is in the air all by itself. “2” is index and middle. And so on.

Very curious conversation we are enjoying.

3 October 2013
12.44am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4578sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m right handed and use my left hand first when counting using my hands (I also play pool with my left hand and can paint, cut out and other stuff using both).

I can see some newbie coming on, clicking this topic first and reading about the different way we count using our fingers and thumbs, and thinking we are all barmy. Some introduction to a Beatles forum.

3 October 2013
12.50am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4579sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t know which would be worse for them to find first: this one or the torture music thread.

3 October 2013
1.01am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4580sp_Permalink sp_Print

The A Day In The Life Ahhs thread wins the “don’t ever read the whole way thru” award hands down on the grounds of length, tediousness, lack of definitive answer, and making you lose the will to live. The others have some element of fun, that become a very large drag.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691