Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
3 September 2013
7.35pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24960
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A while back I posted about a company near me who are looking to bulldoze local woods and tarmac fields to make way for new distilleries. Well, the closing date to lodge complaints passed recently but i’ve been told by the man leading the charge against that it has since been reopened and extended due to folk in the surrounding areas hearing about it and not being happy as it will ruin the countryside. All of which is some good news. The more folks unhappy and complain the more chance voices will be heard and planning permission will not be granted – not that we are all that confident we will succeed but you have to do something. Money talks after all and people high up know other people high up.

The worst aspect of all of this is that the company’s plans were only discovered by a chance walk (not by me) thru a field where two men in builders hats were spotting digging holes and then a chance conversation with a contact who knew more. Otherwise we would have been the wiser until it was too late. Makes you wonder how much company’s sneak thru before people realise and it’s too late.

Just realised Eastenders has sneaked onto my tvpaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartney

Where is the remote?blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 September 2013
10.30pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080

meanmistermustard said
The worst aspect of all of this is that the company’s plans were only discovered by a chance walk (not by me) thru a field where two men in builders hats were spotting digging holes and then a chance conversation with a contact who knew more. Otherwise we would have been the wiser until it was too late. Makes you wonder how much company’s sneak thru before people realise and it’s too late.

It sounds like your region doesn’t have a law we have in the USA (or at least in my particular state) — namely, that any construction plans have to post a clearly visible sign on the property long before the day slated to begin construction, and there also has to be a community meeting where locals can attend.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

3 September 2013
11.51pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
4363sp_Permalink sp_Print

Studying is ridiculous. You kind of need a job to be able to afford it, but the hours are so ridiculous you nearly can’t combine school and work. Also, the schedule changes every week. EVERY WEEK. WHY?! That makes it even harder to combine it with..whatever.

4 September 2013
12.19am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
4364sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sciatic nerve problems take the phrase “pain in the butt” to a whole new level paul-mccartneya-hard-days-night-paul-3

4 September 2013
12.42am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

The key to studying for me was last minute and winging it. Never advised but it sure paid off. There was no way otherwise that everything else would fit in.

Strangely there was a real delight today in seeing and reading the first appearance of Sally Brown in Peanuts. Its a cartoon so why was that?

Hope the pain passes cbatcu. Don’t want to even imagine the pain you are in.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 September 2013
12.59am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4366sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Hope the pain passes cbatcu. Don’t want to even imagine the pain you are in.

Thanks. I just got Venus And Mars in the mail! Oh, boy. I’m like a kid at Christmas getting a new toy. It should help ease the pain some.

4 September 2013
1.06am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4367sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
Studying is ridiculous. You kind of need a job to be able to afford it, but the hours are so ridiculous you nearly can’t combine school and work. Also, the schedule changes every week. EVERY WEEK. WHY?! That makes it even harder to combine it with..whatever.

I had my books for classes read before the semester (term) started. I outlined the chapters so I could just go back and refresh my memory before we went over those chapters in class. By doing that, I had time to join in more extra-curricular activities, concentrate on special projects and papers, and work during the semester/term. Perhaps I went too far in the opposite direction of meanmistermustard, but it worked for me. Hopefully, you will find the balance that works for you. Hang in there.

4 September 2013
3.12pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
4368sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu said

Sciatic nerve problems take the phrase “pain in the butt” to a whole new level paul-mccartneya-hard-days-night-paul-3

I feel so sorry for you, both my mom and my nan have had that in the last few months. I still remember the howls of pain… ?

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

4 September 2013
4.17pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4369sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said

cbatcu said

I feel so sorry for you, both my mom and my nan have had that in the last few months. I still remember the howls of pain… ?

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 thank you for the kind words. If your mom and nan have any remedies that worked for them and they would be willing to share them, please PM me.

4 September 2013
4.35pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4370sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Sorry, nothing they could think of. My mom left it a bit thinking it might go away by itself but in the end she had to admit that there was nothing for it but to go to the doctor’s. They realised how much pain she was in and gave her a series of injections, which sorted it in under a week. My nan was more stubborn, she left it and left it pretty much knowing it wasn’t going to go away by itself and was bedridden for quite some time.

The only advice my mom can give is get to the doctor as soon as.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

4 September 2013
4.47pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

fabfouremily said
^ Sorry, nothing they could think of. My mom left it a bit thinking it might go away by itself but in the end she had to admit that there was nothing for it but to go to the doctor’s. They realised how much pain she was in and gave her a series of injections, which sorted it in under a week. My nan was more stubborn, she left it and left it pretty much knowing it wasn’t going to go away by itself and was bedridden for quite some time.

See, now you can tell them that it is good for you to spend a lot of time on here because you are helping people. a-hard-days-night-george-10

4 September 2013
4.50pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4372sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu said

fabfouremily said

See, now you can tell them that it is good for you to spend a lot of time on here because you are helping people. a-hard-days-night-george-10

Yes, that’s a good point. I’ll pass that on. Thanks for the idea :)

(Passover - I. Curtis)

5 September 2013
1.04am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4373sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unconfirmed reports are going around saying that Jack Nicholson has retired from acting due to memory loss.

5 September 2013
1.36am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4374sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said 

Unconfirmed reports are going around saying that Jack Nicholson has retired from acting due to memory loss.

what a shame if it is true. I love his line “You can’t handle the truth.”

5 September 2013
10.17am
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members

Can I just say that the new library that’s opened in Birmingham, my city, is not only unneccesary (there’s still loads of others closing down, and the old one was ok, though ugly), but not much better than the last aesthetically. At least I think so. And this has cost how much? Oh yeah, £188m. Is it only me who thinks we have other priorities at the moment?

(Passover - I. Curtis)

5 September 2013
11.21am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4376sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
This isn’t really a world event – more a local event to me, though it is now the biggest public building in Europe – but can I just say that the new library that’s opened in Birmingham, my city, is not only unneccesary (there’s still loads of others closing down, and the old one was ok, though ugly), but not much better than the last aesthetically. At least I think so. And this has cost how much? Oh yeah, £188m. Is it only me who thinks we have other priorities at the moment?

The £118m cost is incredibly high but it goes back to when it was originally commissioned, how the finance is provided (up front lump sums, annual agreed amounts) and where the money is coming from (is it all government & local council or have there been private fundraising initiatives and donations?).

5 September 2013
12.27pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members

^ I think it’s all come from fundraising and, to a lesser degree, borrowing it. Which means that the total cost could, in fact will, go up to as much as £590m as they have to pay back £7.5m over 40 years, plus…

”On top of that has to be added £15 million to repay additional loans taken out by the council between now (2007) and 2013, when the library is due to open, plus the £15 million cost of the project team appointed to drive the scheme forward – making a total of £378 million.

Finally, the estimates assume that the council will be able to offset the cost by raising £34 million in sponsorship and public subscriptions, although none of this has yet been identified. Failure to raise all of the sponsorship money would bring the final library bill to £412 million.

The council is also making plans to set aside £3 million a year for annual maintenance on the new building over a 60-year period, a projected total of £180 million – making a grand total of £592 million.”

That’s a hell of a lot of money, if this article is correct (which I think it is as I’ve read others saying much the same thing).

(Passover - I. Curtis)

5 September 2013
12.36pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4378sp_Permalink sp_Print

…and to think of how many Beatles books (among others) they could have bought instead.

5 September 2013
1.10pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ah the unreported total costs. £500m for a library!! Makes £75 for a book seem like a nothing.

Still, could be the HS2 High-speed rail link which could (and note the word could) cost up to £80bn!! Already its cost is estimated at £42bn. We could get another few libraries for that, Lewinsohns new book, and nearly all of Pauls archive boxsets that are to come in the next few decades. Maybe we could bag an actual Beatle. Pauls value is only around £800m isn’t it so if we paid a billion and a half.a-hard-days-night-paul-8Ringo for around £200m.ahdn_ringo_09

5 September 2013
1.18pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4380sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, Paul and Ringo working at the library reference desk. We could ask all the questions we want to ask! Love it.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24960, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694